Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin/Wicklow Trails For Beginners

Options
  • 22-04-2019 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭

I'd like to get back into mountain biking and I was wondering what trails would be good for a beginner in the Dublin/Wicklow areas?

A few years ago I used to ride the lower trail at Ticknock. The upper trail was just too rocky for me. I believe there's a few more official trails around there along with GAP.

Ideally I'd like to rent a bike a few times, get comfortable being back on the trails and then get one of my own on the bike to work scheme.

I'm a bit rusty on an MTB as I've only been riding road for the last few years. I was up on the lower trail last year but needed more practice to loosen up and relax.

Any suggestions on where to start?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Hire a bike and all your gear at the Gap and hit the blue trails. Easy rolling trails with very few rocks. You can pay extra for the uplift if you want to conserve energy.
    Ticknock is great too, if a bit more unpredictable; there's more rocks on the easier trials, but nothing too severe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

The Gap have some lovely smooth trails and bike rental too, can't go wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The blue trail at GAP looks pretty easy going with a nice flow. €35 half day rental for a Nukeproof Mega isn't too bad either. Might just do a few laps of that to get comfortable on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,527 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ballinastoe is a really nice xc trail, places like the gap can sometimes be a little too technical for beginners, but is also worth checking out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Ballinstoe is well designed for beginners.

MAD Mtb run beginner spins once a month, give them a shout.

• Advertisement
Advertisement