Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2018-19 Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Professional foul is still a red, no?

I don't know to be honest. I just remember a commentator saying something about penalties and reds not double punishing the team or something to that effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    TitianGerm wrote: »
    So the rule doesn't apply then?

What rules?. Deliberate handball to deny a goalscoring opportunity is a red card.

You may be confusing the rule change they made a few years back but that's only when a player makes a genuine attempt at playing the ball
    The goalscoring opportunity was still there, hence no red card. Should be yellow for deliberate handball though.

Nixonbot wrote: »
    The goalscoring opportunity was still there, hence no red card. Should be yellow for deliberate handball though.

That's what I was thinking. At least I'm not the only one :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

http://www.theifab.com/laws/fouls-and-misconduct-2018/chapters/disciplinary-action-2018

There's the relevant laws of the game. It should be a red. If var was being used it would have been red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I don't know to be honest. I just remember a commentator saying something about penalties and reds not double punishing the team or something to that effect.

As a poster above pointed out that rule change only affected genuine attempts to the play the ball.

http://www.theifab.com/laws/fouls-and-misconduct-2018/chapters/disciplinary-action-2018

There's the relevant laws of the game. It should be a red. If var was being used it would have been red.
    I'll point you at this piece:

"denying the opposing team a goal"

A goal was not denied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

As a poster above pointed out that rule change only affected genuine attempts to the play the ball.

Well he did genuinely attempt to play the ball.

.....just with his arm :)

"Where a player denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a deliberate handball offence the player is sent off wherever the offence occurs."

Black and White there folks.

"Where a player denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a deliberate handball offence the player is sent off wherever the offence occurs."

Black and White there folks.
    Why are you ignoring that a goal was scored, and therefore not denied?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I'll point you at this piece:

"denying the opposing team a goal"

A goal was not denied.

So basically you're staying because they scored. TAA stayed on? That's ridiculous.

I'd rather play against 10 men and have a pen than 11 men

Why are you ignoring the word "opportunity"?

So basically you're staying because they scored. TAA stayed on? That's ridiculous.

So if Atsu missed TAA would have been sent off but would they got the pen because the ref played on? I'm even more confused now :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Miss the pen and you are changing your mind. Newcastle would have been fuming had the ref blown as they were putting the ball in the net.

Not sure what the rule on cards is in this instance where the player hasn’t ultimately prevented a goal.

I don't make the laws.

2 opportunities are entirely separate in my view anyway.

So if Atsu missed TAA would have been sent off but would they got the pen because the ref played on? I'm even more confused now :confused:

I've no idea. I thought the rule changed to a yellow card when denying a goal scoring opportunity and the pen is given.

In my eyes TAA still should have been booked

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I honestly don't understand how Henderson is still captain at Liverpool. VVD ten times the leader he is

What you want is utterly irrelevant to the laws of the game.
    Why are you ignoring the word "opportunity"?

Because the opportunity to score was still there, as shown by the honking great goal scored half a second later.

He should have, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Newcastle are very poor in possession. Was wondering if fatigue might become an issue for Liverpool in the second half but it won't if the game continues on like this.

I've no idea. I thought the rule changed to a yellow card when denying a goal scoring opportunity and the pen is given.

Definitely should have got a yellow no doubt. It's everything else is confusing me :pac:

What you want is utterly irrelevant to the laws of the game.

Because the opportunity to score was still there, as shown by the honking great goal scored half a second later.

He should have, yes.

I never stated what I want is relevant to the laws of the game. I'm saying it's a sh1te law :pac:

• Advertisement

You mean the second opportunity was there, after TAA deliberately prevented the first.

But you know that, of course ;)

They should have it like in Rugby with a penalty try I think it is.

TAA should be off. Goal goes to Rondon.

For any deliberate handballs on the line.

That's what I think the law should be.

I also have Rondon in my fantasy team so it definitely should be changed by the time the game ends :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭abcabc123123

They should have it like in Rugby with a penalty try I think it is.

TAA should be off. Goal goes to Rondon.

For any deliberate handballs on the line.

That's what I think the law should be.
    Agree. The rules in football are daft; they encourage cheating.

You mean the second opportunity was there, after TAA deliberately prevented the first.

But you know that, of course ;)

Well we'll see when all the Sky Sports refs come out and say what it should have been.

The ball was still in play, right beside the goal, this is the whole concept of advantage. What's the law that says shot = opportunity? Newcastle still scored, the handball didn't have any effect on the game, yellow card. That's the spirit of the law and I don't see the problem with it. Deliberate handball is a separate offense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

given the type of season newcastle just had i imagine they will be happy enough to play against 11 with the goal scored

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Jesus you were right about the yellow I didn't believe it at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,843 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What rules?. Deliberate handball to deny a goalscoring opportunity is a red card.

You may be confusing the rule change they made a few years back but that's only when a player makes a genuine attempt at playing the ball

This, the ball was going in. If the penalty was misssed there was no proper sanction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Why didnt the ref give TAA a yellow after the goal was scored?
    Bad mistake by the ref.

Well we'll see when all the Sky Sports refs come out and say what it should have been.

The ball was still in play, right beside the goal, this is the whole concept of advantage. What's the law that says shot = opportunity? Newcastle still scored, the handball didn't have any effect on the game, yellow card. That's the spirit of the law and I don't see the problem with it. Deliberate handball is a separate offense.

A simple "yes" would have sufficed. I'm not going to argue semantics with you while you backtrack.

A simple "yes" would have sufficed.

If you have anything useful to contribute, do so. Otherwise, stop trying to put words in my mouth.

• Advertisement

yabadabado wrote: »
    Why didnt the ref give TAA a yellow after the goal was scored?
    Big mistake by the ref.

I don't think he has his cards rondon kicked the ball away , Ritchie raked at salah and TAA handball no cards given

Fa website says this which I think what sky meant but the ref didn't signal anything about advantage.

If the referee plays the advantage for an offence for which a caution / send off would have been issued had play been stopped, this caution / send off must be issued when the ball is next out of play, except for the denial of an obvious goal-scoring opportunity when the player is cautioned for unsporting behaviour.

“Where a player denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a deliberate handball offence the player is sent off wherever the offence occurs.“

A red card.

There is no room for interpretation there. Clear as daylight. Very poor officiating.

Anyway, Newcastle should have conceded a penalty and had a man sent off too if the high boot law that saw Mane sent off at City last season was applied to the high boot on Mane today.

Strumms wrote: »
    “Where a player denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a deliberate handball offence the player is sent off wherever the offence occurs.“

A red card.

They just went through the rules on sky and agree with what the lads say here it's a yellow

mightyreds wrote: »
    They just went through the rules on sky and agree with what the lads say here it's a yellow

Well, from what I’m reading here I disagree with anyone who says that’s not a red.

Only if the ref played advantage. He didn't signal anything about advantage.

I don't think he seen it or he just bottled it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

But they are incorrect.

I think the confusion is a deliberate hand ball is a red.

But if a defender say tackles as last man back and gives a pen it's a yellow. Used to be red?

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »

A red card.

There is no room for interpretation there. Clear as daylight. Very poor officiating.

Lucas post above seems to say a yellow is correct?

I think the confusion is a deliberate hand ball is a red.

But if a defender say tackles as last man back and gives a pen it's a yellow. Used to be red?

Yup only if he makes a genuine attempt at playing the ball. If he just clatters into the attacker or pulls them back it's still a red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Seems some people need to brush up on their laws of the game

yabadabado wrote: »
    But they are incorrect.

Well then the rules are wrong cause absolutely everyone on sky now is saying it's not a red, and they love controversial decisions and aren't making a deal of it

What did Geoff Shreeves say there a minute ago I missed it .

Probably something incorrect anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Seems some people need to brush up on their laws of the game

Reminds me of City vs QPR when a cousin told me Joey Barton was sent off for quote: "Being a b*llocks".
    Was unaware at the time it was a red card offence.

Ok, how did he miss but by THAT much 😳

That Newcastle bench fuming it wasn’t red. Massive surprise like.

Nice, deserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

RONDOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

• Advertisement
Advertisement