Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2018-19 Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Garzorico

eigrod wrote: »
    That Man Utd squad is in serious need of overhaul. 10/11 players needed is probably no exaggeration looking at them this season. De Gea and Rashford about the only 2 that might be ok and both of them look like they’d rather be elsewhere.

Chelsea finished 10th in Jose’s last season and won the league the next season without an overhaul - one starter in I think. Coaches make good teams not €€€€€€.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

liverpool were 11/10 recently, cant see city dropping points, leicester burnley and brighton...i just dont see it unfortunately

Burnley is a tough place to go to. They'll cause City problems. If Leicester get at Man City a la Spurs, they'll open them up and Vardy will score against them. However, Liverpool have Barcelona (A), Newcastle (A) and Barcelona (H) over the space of six days. That's going to be a very tough week for them. Really could have done with having Newcastle away this weekend and Huddersfield next week, where he can play the u12s if he wants to. Still think they'll win all their PL games though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Garzorico wrote: »
    Chelsea finished 10th in Jose’s last season and won the league the next season without an overhaul - one starter in I think. Coaches make good teams not €€€€€€.

All situations are not equal. That Chelsea team had also won the league the year before, so the quality and ability were obviously there, it was just the mentality that had slipped under Mourinho. The money had already been spent there, the proven team had already been assembled.

This case is totally different. This team has shown none of what that Chelsea team had shown beforehand. There is no shining past form for those players to be able to resurrect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

liverpool were 11/10 recently, cant see city dropping points, leicester burnley and brighton...i just dont see it unfortunately

They were 11/10 when City had to go play Spurs and United I'm assuming. That would still have City favs at probably around 4/5 or so at a guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

https://twitter.com/Football__Tweet/status/1121164859188633600?s=19

If this is true it's a joke. No way does he deserve to be in the team of the year. Played well for about 4 weeks all season.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    All situations are not equal. That Chelsea team had also won the league the year before, so the quality and ability were obviously there, it was just the mentality that had slipped under Mourinho. The money had already been spent there, the proven team had already been assembled.

This case is totally different. This team has shown none of what that Chelsea team had shown beforehand. There is no shining past form for those players to be able to resurrect

Leicester

TitianGerm wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Football__Tweet/status/1121164859188633600?s=19

If this is true it's a joke. No way does he deserve to be in the team of the year. Played well for about 4 weeks all season.

All those penalty goals making his stats look better.

Son deserves to be in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Son deserves to be in it

Totally forgot about Son,should definitely of made it

Son deserves to be in it

Son or Neves anyway.

If you wanted to put someone in for a heap of penalties you could have picked Milivojević.

Edit: I'm assuming Bilva and Fernandinho are the other two CMs.

• Advertisement

Leicester

What's your point?

Leicester surprised people, but their odds alone show you they are the definitive exception that proves the rule.

There's a reason why their odds were so long, and there's a reason why no-one else has won the premier league under such circumstances.

And, it still took a brilliant group of players to do it. Mahrez was better than any creative player Utd have. Vardy was better than any striker Utd have. Kante was better than any midfielder Utd have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Totally forgot about Son,should definitely of made it

So a striker who isn't even in the top 10 goal scorers in the league deserves to be in the TOTY?? Nonsense

Quazzie wrote: »
    So a striker who isn't even in the top 10 goal scorers in the league deserves to be in the TOTY?? Nonsense

He is not a striker,well not when Kane is playing anyway,and pogba making it is nonsense

Played most of his games deeper. Only really played up front when Kane was out.

Arsenal fan doesn't think a Spurs player deserves TOTY.

Shocker.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The fact that Pogba made that team, simply lessens any credence to it.

• Advertisement

I assume the back line was

Walker(or TAA) VVD Laporte Robertson.

Feel Digne deserves a mention for LB as he's been very good this season but Robertson has been sensational and deserves it.

Son deserves to be in it

Very tough position to fit into this season though, With Sterling, Salah, Aguero, and Hazard each scoring and assisting more, and then the likes of Bernardo Silva and Mane having great seasons as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Played most of his games deeper. Only really played up front when Kane was out.

Hazard and Aubameyang for that matter played in similar positions and both outscored him.

Very tough position to fit into this season though, With Sterling, Salah, Aguero, and Hazard each scoring and assisting more, and then the likes of Bernardo Silva and Mane having great seasons as well.

Yeh I agree. I think he's worth a mention though based on his season and felt he warranted a space.

One of those situations ' had he got it I wouldn't have questioned it unlike Pogba's situation

I assume the back line was

Walker(or TAA) VVD Laporte Robertson.

Feel Digne deserves a mention for LB as he's been very good this season but Robertson has been sensational and deserves it.

Allison/Ederson

AWB Laporte VVD Robertson
    Fernandinho
    Bilva Neves
    Sterling Augero Salah

Honourable mention to the following
    Doherty and Digne
    Doucoure, Wijnaldum, Fraser, Brooks, Sigurdson and Sissoko
    Son, Mane, Kane

• Advertisement

Yeh I agree. I think he's worth a mention though based on his season and felt he warranted a space.

One of those situations ' had he got it I wouldn't have questioned it unlike Pogba's situation

Yeah, totally, there's probably 6 players that would all be totally deserving of a spot in a front 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So then with everyone on 35 games the top four trophy race is

Team--Played--W---D---L---F--A---Points
    Tottenham--35---23---1--11--65:35----70
    Chelsea---- 35---20---7---8--59:38----67
    Arsenal
    35---20--- 6---9--69:46----66
    Man Utd----35---19--- 7---9--63:50----64

Spurs play West Ham next while Utd host Chelsea so basically Spurs win and Utd lose and they cannot qualify with two games left.

Spurs 73
    Chelsea 70
    Arsenal 66-69 (playing Leicester City)
    Man Utd 64 and worse goal difference than Chelsea. I think that's right.

It won't happen I'm sure but if Wolves win their last 3 and Utd lose theirs, Wolves would be just 5 points behind.

Hazard and Aubameyang for that matter played in similar positions and both outscored him.

Hazard form seemed to dip a lot and PEA has padded his stats with quite a few penalties. He was excellent at the start of the season though.

Don't forget that Son was away for the Asia games in January as well and did he miss a few games at the start of the season for some other international thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

So then with everyone on 35 games the top four trophy race is

Team--Played--W---D---L---F--A---Points
    Tottenham--35---23---1--11--65:35----70
    Chelsea---- 35---20---7---8--59:38----67
    Arsenal
    35---20--- 6---9--69:46----66
    Man Utd----35---19--- 7---9--63:50----64

It won't happen I'm sure but if Wolves win their last 3 and Utd lose theirs, Wolves would be just 5 points behind.

Never realised Spurs had lost 11 games.

Allison/Ederson

AWB Laporte VVD Robertson
    Fernandinho
    Bilva Neves
    Sterling Augero Salah

Honourable mention to the following
    Doherty and Digne
    Doucoure, Wijnaldum, Fraser, Brooks, Sigurdson and Sissoko
    Son, Mane, Kane

AWB is not possible as RB bases on the tweet but I assume this is your opinion which is fine. AWB worth a mention imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭greenfield21

all three games on sky on Sunday can't wait, what a year for the premier league. I can't see Chelsea losing on sunday, they will be well rested compared to united and united will be dejected after their big performance tonight.

AWB is not possible as RB bases on the tweet but I assume this is your opinion which is fine. AWB worth a mention imo!

Oh sorry that's the team I'd pick, not the actual PFA team.

all three games on sky on Sunday can't wait, what a year for the premier league. I can't see Chelsea losing on sunday, they will be well rested compared to united and united will be dejected after their big performance tonight.

If Chelsea beat United that's 8 losses in 10 for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

PFA team of the season is

Ederson
    TAA
    Laporte
    VVD
    Robertson
    Bernardo Silva
    Fernandinho
    Pogba
    Mane
    Sterling
    Aguero

The moat standout player in that team is Pogba for all the wrong reasons. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

Berserker wrote: »
    Happy to report that they are chez moi. Massive win for City tonight, without a doubt but I still think they'll drop points and Liverpool won't. The Liverpool v Huddersfield odds are hilarious. Huddersfield are 45/1 and the draw is 57/4. 22/1 for a Burnley win are very good odds also, for a team at home.

That probably sounds funnier in your head,and indeed as you were typing... but back here in the real world of probabilities... you're about as right as a left bollock....

Dear god that team would win every game but for Pogba.

Did they just throw in a non City/Liverpool Man Utd player to appease Surrey and Norway?

The moat standout player in that team is Pogba for all the wrong reasons. :pac:

Mad that you can sulk up to Christmas, get your manager sacked, turn up for 4 weeks, decide you couldn't be arsed anymore, flirt with Real and then still make it into the team :confused:

Dear god that team would win every game but for Pogba.

But but what about all the penalties he would score

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭jpboard1

PFA team of the season is

Ederson
    TAA
    Laporte
    VVD
    Robertson
    Bernardo Silva
    Fernandinho
    Pogba
    Mane
    Sterling
    Aguero

Ederson-no
    Pogba-no
    Mane-debatable
    Aguero-debatable

And miss...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

jpboard1 wrote: »
    Ederson-no
    Pogba-no
    Mane-debatable
    Aguero-debatable

No chance that's debatable, deservedly in that team.

Joint Top goalscorer and joint second most assists in the league.

Arguably his best season for City.

jpboard1 wrote: »
    Ederson-no
    Pogba-no
    Mane-debatable
    Aguero-debatable

Ederson best GK distributor in the game and decent in all other regards
    Aguero 19 goals
    Mane 18 goals

Pogba I'll give you.

What's your point?

Leicester surprised people, but their odds alone show you they are the definitive exception that proves the rule.

There's a reason why their odds were so long, and there's a reason why no-one else has won the premier league under such circumstances.

And, it still took a brilliant group of players to do it. Mahrez was better than any creative player Utd have. Vardy was better than any striker Utd have. Kante was better than any midfielder Utd have.

Ah so Leicester and the players mentioned above showed title winning form the season before they won it did they? Nope. No reason Utd couldn’t win the league next season - I bet the odds will reflect that too.

• Advertisement

Aguero 19 goals
    Mane 18 goals

Pogba I'll give you.

Salah has a goal more than Mane and and 6 more assists in the league. Mane hit his purple patch and Salah his barren run closer to the voting though. Both have had good seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

PFA Team of the Year is spot on except Hazard should be there instead of Mane.

Edit: Didn't notice the keeper spot. I'd have Alisson personally but it's close between him and Ederson.

Ah so Leicester and the players mentioned above showed title winning form the season before they won it did they? Nope. No reason Utd couldn’t win the league next season - I bet the odds will reflect that too.

That's an entirely different argument than the one you made...

You made the point that Chelsea went from 10th to 1st because of a good manager rather than because of money. I made the point that the money had already been spent, the players had already been assembled, and that very team had already won the league.

I didn't say that every team that's won a league had already won a league - I made the point that your chosen example had already won the league with those players, so your chosen example did not prove the point you were trying to make.

Yes, of course it's possible for Manchester United to win the league next season. It's just much more likely that they won't, and it would require many of their players to play better than they've done before, and for opposition players of several clubs to play worse than they've done before. But of course it's possible. They'll probably be around 6th favourites to do it.

That's an entirely different argument than the one you made...

You made the point that Chelsea went from 10th to 1st because of a good manager rather than because of money. I made the point that the money had already been spent, the players had already been assembled, and that very team had already won the league.

I didn't say that every team that's won a league had already won a league - I made the point that your chosen example had already won the league with those players, so your chosen example did not prove the point you were trying to make.

Yes, of course it's possible for Manchester United to win the league next season. It's just much more likely that they won't, and it would require many of their players to play better than they've done before, and for opposition players of several clubs to play worse than they've done before. But of course it's possible. They'll probably be around 6th favourites to do it.

Point Is money doesn’t win leagues - good coaching does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

PFA Team of the Year is spot on except Hazard should be there instead of Mane.

Edit: Didn't notice the keeper spot. I'd have Alisson personally but it's close between him and Ederson.

Mane has been pretty much unstoppable since Christmas. Much bigger case for Hazard (or Son) for Pogba and line them up in a 4-2-3-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

without pogba, there isnt a decent pk taker in that team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If Chelsea beat United that's 8 losses in 10 for them.

Serious questions should be asked about Ole. A well run club would let him go following defeat this Sunday. No point compounding a mistake. Performance levels since Paris clearly indicate that he isn’t up to the task.

Point Is money doesn’t win leagues - good coaching does.

Good coaching alone doesn't. Good coaching of good players with good attitudes does.

And the best way to have good players is with money. Hence why the league is consistently won by the teams amongst those with the highest wage bills in the league - with Leicester being the notable exception of the past 20 years, at which time they managed it with top notch recruitment.

No chance that's debatable, deservedly in that team.

Joint Top goalscorer and joint second most assists in the league.

Arguably his best season for City.

Joint with salah who has been in a more defensive team. Debatable

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Serious questions should be asked about Ole. A well run club would let him go following defeat this Sunday. No point compounding a mistake. Performance levels since Paris clearly indicate that he isn’t up to the task.

They should give him a minimum of half a billion in the summer. That team needs another pogba type and maybe another Fred or two.

Aguero 19 goals
    Mane 18 goals

Pogba I'll give you.

Allison has had a better season. More clean sheets. Better save/shot ratio. Distribution as good.
    Salah has been better than mane and as good as Aguero.

• Advertisement
Advertisement