Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2018-19 Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

This is the thing. The club is a money making machine, I don't think the glazers are arsed if it's successful on the pitch as long as its coining it for them off it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

.G. wrote: »
    I've always said David Gill was as big a loss to United as Ferguson. Its staggering incompetence at the club over sustained period now that I'm amazed Ed is in the job never mind Ole.

Yep but you will find united fans who will try and make Gill out as not such a loss. He made mistakes but he wasn’t a glazer stooge. He knew what the club was like pre glazers and so at least had the capacity to see things from both sides. Woodward is glazer guy and only ever knew how he could please them. Had no person of footballing authority to challange him and he’s made a balls of the club.

I’m fed up the pathetic excuses even our own fans will come up with as to why the club is fumbling around so badly.

Liverpool , spurs and even arsenal are the benchmark clubs on how to be run from a footballing side. I don’t begrudge then their relative success , they deserve it. Arsenal have shown how you can replace a legend and they haven’t spent the same money as united and they look like they may not just equal but be better after wenger moving on!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

If Madrid offer anything near £100m for Pogba Man U would be mental not to snap their hands off for it.

Youtube player.

Why would anyone offer £100m for Pogba?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

ozzy jr wrote: »

Because they'd make it back on jersey sales and promotions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

I've always said David Gill was as big a loss to United as Ferguson. Its staggering incompetence at the club over sustained period now that I'm amazed Ed is in the job never mind Ole.
    It's bizarre that the Glazers appear (given the fact that he is still in his job) to be happy with the job Woodward is doing there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

https://twitter.com/utdxtra/status/1124791188391854080

That's the coach of Manchester United, desperately concerned about being overtaken by mid-table sides.

It's almost as if putting the future of one of the world's biggest clubs in the hands of the men who presided over Cardiff and Hull's respective relegations may not have been the smartest idea.

But of course they'll take little criticism by the faithful. We can see that already. When results were going well, OGS took all the credit; but since they've nosedived into some of the worst form seen since the 1960s, why, it's all the players' fault.

Woodward is talking to yes men, former teammates of OGS who are constantly telling him OGS is not the problem, merely the players - the ones OGS has been giving new contracts to you'll recall. And most United fans will refuse to turn on a legendary player and will listen to what the United pundits say - who won't criticise the management.

So with a fanbase that won't turn, and a board that won't turn, the only hope of a short-term lift is if OGS resigns - which I doubt he'll do as he's about to be given £250m or so to try and turn it around, and to refuse to try would hinder his own future prospects down the line.

So long story short, United are f*cked until at best about December when surely this circus won't be able to trundle on any longer. And by this point most of the exciting coaches will likely be tied up elsewhere and the 19-20 season will be another write-off.

It's an unmitigated disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I was wondering that myself in the summer of 2016.

For all the stick Graeme Souness unfairly took over his criticism of Pogba, he was absolutely right all along and only United fans refused to believe it until recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Clubs concerned about social media hits.

blueser wrote:
    It's bizarre that the Glazers appear (given the fact that he is still in his job) to be happy with the job Woodward is doing there.

The club continues to make money hand over fist, I think that's all they're interested in.

• Advertisement

The club continues to make money hand over fist, I think that's all they're interested in.
    It appears to be the case. But weren't they making an ocean of money under Ferguson (relative to other clubs at that time), and yet they were winning trophies with grim regularity back then? The two things (making money and winning silverware) are not mutually exclusive, are they?

blueser wrote: »

The same reason Kroenke is happy with what goes on at Arsenal the club makes lots of money for him without having to win anything.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Mad to think Arsenal could still steal CL football away from Spurs on the last day (assuming they keep ahead today).

Next Sunday:

Leicester City 15:00 Chelsea
    Tottenham Hotspur 15:00 Everton
    Burnley 15:00 Arsenal

interestingly all 3 still in with a shout in Europe so there shouldn't be as much of an advantage from squad rotation between them but their opponents on the other hand, based on recent events they could actually all lose.

Everton are in the best form of all 3 opponents recently including their 4-0 win over Utd. Leicester are at home and as they showed with their recent 3-0 win over Arsenal could certainly be good enough to take points from Chelsea. Burnley have lost a few recently but are at home and Arsenal have been terrible away as shown in that 3-0 drubbing.

Very hard to call but you would have to give the edge to Chelsea for now cos even if they only get a point against Leicester, they would then be 3 points up on Arsenal but their goal difference would make it extra hard on the Gunners to make up even if they win. A few more goals today against Brighton however could change that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

#dab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

It appears to be the case. But weren't they making an ocean of money under Ferguson (relative to other clubs at that time), and yet they were winning trophies with grim regularity back then? The two things (making money and winning silverware) are not mutually exclusive, are they?

The glazers targets are top 4 and getting into the first knock out round of the CL. They're not interested in winning trophies.

Only when their dividends are threatened will they act. To turn this squad of players into a top 4 side is going to cost a hell of a lot of money. United fans better prepare for another few hundred millions worth of debt being added to the balance sheet.

blueser wrote:

They aren't but the landscape is very different now to when Ferguson was hoovering up trophies. You've seen yourself the level of investment required by your own club to get yous up there, United have spent similar amounts without success so no guarantees with it. If they truly want to compete they'd have done what they spoke about before Ole got them playing, proper footballing structure behind the scenes and a manager like Poch running the show.

Why they didn't I really have no idea, I assume its cos the owners are happy with things as they are and winning trophies won't really boost their coffers anymore than they currently get.

• Advertisement

A circus club like Madrid or PSG prob would. He’s got a lot of talent and he’s very marketable. But he’s the mental attributes of a two year old who throws his toys out of his pram if you look at him the wrong way.

Some people used to think he was one of the players SAF got wrong but I think he has done a great job proving SAF spot on about him not being worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

martyos121 wrote: »
    I was wondering that myself in the summer of 2016.

For all the stick Graeme Souness unfairly took over his criticism of Pogba, he was absolutely right all along and only United fans refused to believe it until recently.
    You weren't but have a thanks .

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I still can't believe they fell for the standard caretaker manager bounce and gave him the job, especially when results had nosedived by the time they did it. Its almost like there's a rival fan running the club.

Great stuff to be fair he's doing a cracking job.

I've said before that he wasn't a good choice for a caretaker even because of how easy it would have been to just appoint or to how difficult to get rid of if he did decent (but not outstanding).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Drumpot wrote: »
    A circus club like Madrid or PSG prob would. He’s got a lot of talent and he’s very marketable. But he’s the mental attributes of a two year old who throws his toys out of his pram if you look at him the wrong way.

Some people used to think he was one of the players SAF got wrong but I think he has done a great job proving SAF spot on about him not being worth it.

RM have won 4 out of the last 5 CL titles and almost all of their transfers in last 6/7 years have proved their worth. I think it is ridiculous to refer to them as circus club right now. They won't be paying 100 million for Pogba in his present state. Not a hope in hell

The glazers targets are top 4 and getting into the first knock out round of the CL. They're not interested in winning trophies.

Only when their dividends are threatened will they act. To turn this squad of players into a top 4 side is going to cost a hell of a lot of money. United fans better prepare for another few hundred millions worth of debt being added to the balance sheet.
    They aren't but the landscape is very different now to when Ferguson was hoovering up trophies. You've seen yourself the level of investment required by your own club to get yous up there, United have spent similar amounts without success so no guarantees with it. If they truly want to compete they'd have done what they spoke about before Ole got them playing, proper footballing structure behind the scenes and a manager like Poch running the show.

Why they didn't I really have no idea, I assume its cos the owners are happy with things as they are and winning trophies won't really boost their coffers anymore than they currently get.

United’s share price was at its highest around the time the transfer market closed and united hadn’t spent much relative to what they had spent other seasons. The share price spiked during the summer , part of it possibly down to the rumours they were going to sell to those Saudi lads who killed that journalist.

I am still in awe that some fans think united owners actually care about on field success or what is best for the club on the footballing side...

Wouldn’t be surprised if they get a DOF to just be a token role to take focus off Woodward.

• Advertisement

RM have won 4 out of the last 5 CL titles and almost all of their transfers in last 6/7 years have proved their worth. I think it is ridiculous to refer to them as circus club right now. They won't be paying 100 million for Pogba in his present state. Not a hope in hell

They love that kind of drama, being a circus has nothing to do with success. Pogba would fit in very nicely at Madrid.

Absolutely; there are no guarantees. Yet I wish I had a tenner for every post I've seen on social media (including here) saying along the lines of "well; with the money you've spent, you should be winning trophies". United haven't been shy in throwing a few bob around buying players in this last 3 or 4 years. If the money argument is used to judge how City do, isn't the same argument valid for united?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

United are doing enough off the pitch to stand still, they aren't investing in their future and Old Trafford, once the be all and end all of corporate entertainment and match day entertainment has been over taken.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/12/06/countrys-best-stadium-tired-old-trafford-now-showing-age/

That was written two years ago and is ever more true nowadays since Spurs moved into their new stadium.

Drumpot wrote:
    Wouldn’t be surprised if they get a DOF to just be a token role to take focus off Woodward

I am still in awe that some fans think united owners actually care about on field success or what is best for the club on the footballing side...

Agree with that. See it on your thread all the time, arguing over which players need to be gone and who you can bring in. Misses the point completely, the **** show will remain a **** show as long the behind the scenes set up remains a shambles.

United are doing enough off the pitch to stand still, they aren't investing in their future and Old Trafford, once the be all and end all of corporate entertainment and match day entertainment has been over taken.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/12/06/countrys-best-stadium-tired-old-trafford-now-showing-age/

That was written two years ago and is ever more true nowadays since Spurs moved into their new stadium.
    I know a few united fans from when I was growing up over there, and they reckon it's a tip. But it's absolutely cavernous, bringing in a boatload of money every couple of weekends. Why would the Glazers spend big money improving it? It's a cash cow for them.

Absolutely; there are no guarantees. Yet I wish I had a tenner for every post I've seen on social media (including here) saying along the lines of "well; with the money you've spent, you should be winning trophies". United haven't been shy in throwing a few bob around buying players in this last 3 or 4 years. If the money argument is used to judge how City do, isn't the same argument valid for united?

Because city have been doing it since 2008, united only starting anywhere near that sort of spending a few years ago. United under SAF were more like wenger then Pep. Sure didnt they sell Ronaldo and buy Antonio Valencia ?

City have not just invested in players but right throughout the club. United’s Owners only spend what they have to spend and while it’s a lot of money it’s not in comparison to the money the club generates. United’s stadium issues mirror that of a club that’s been let rot from the inside out. The mood and character of the squad mirrors the direction the club is going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Lads they should just raffle off the last Champions League place. They've all be so bad, no-one deserves it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

https://twitter.com/utdxtra/status/1124791188391854080

That's the coach of Manchester United, desperately concerned about being overtaken by mid-table sides.

So long story short, United are f*cked until at best about December when surely this circus won't be able to trundle on any longer. And by this point most of the exciting coaches will likely be tied up elsewhere and the 19-20 season will be another write-off.

It's an unmitigated disaster.

Your Roy Hodgson moment. But at least he was just some passing jobbing manager and not of Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Glenn Murray was just predicted by my phone. Scary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Glenn Murray was just predicted by my phone. Scary.

Either you've a weird fetish or the phones possessed. Best incinerate it either way :pac:

• Advertisement

Agree with that. See it on your thread all the time, arguing over which players need to be gone and who you can bring in. Misses the point completely, the **** show will remain a **** show as long the behind the scenes set up remains a shambles.

Rio Ferdinand- qualifications BT sport analyst and popular with fans

Boom - DOF position filled, club full of legends with no identifiable strategy but it sounds good ....

Because city have been doing it since 2008, united only starting anywhere near that sort of spending a few years ago. United under SAF were more like wenger then Pep. Sure didnt they sell Ronaldo and buy Antonio Valencia ?

City have not just invested in players but right throughout the club. United’s Owners only spend what they have to spend and while it’s a lot of money it’s not in comparison to the money the club generates. United’s stadium issues mirror that of a club that’s been let rot from the inside out. The mood and character of the squad mirrors the direction the club is going.
    Fair point about Ferguson. Re. your point about the OT stadium, I'll repeat what I said a post or two back. It's bloody monstrous. 75k fans, paying an average of, what £40-45(maybe more?) 20 odd times a season when you throw in cup and European games. The Glazers will be reluctant to spend big money improving it when it's generating the sort of money it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Arsenal draw here and top 4 is almost decided with the way the goal difference is.

Arsenal draw here and top 4 is almost decided with the way the goal difference is.
    Screenshot-20190505-180201-Sky-Sports.jpg

Agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

They love that kind of drama, being a circus has nothing to do with success. Pogba would fit in very nicely at Madrid.

Any player they have thrown big money at was a justifiable purchase at the time, on performance level, Danilo being the only player (at 30 million in 2015) really who was a failure relative to his cost in the last decade. And to be fair he was 22, had won league titles with Porto and was a Brazilian international with a dozen caps. They even managed to get most of that money back off City...

Can you give other examples?

They seem to have got their sh*t together very much so in that respect

blueser wrote:

Yup 100%. Money Aside City did things right. They essentially imported the Barca structure from when Pep was there and then waited until they could add the final missing piece, Pep himself.

Liverpool and City, Spurs to some extent as well are exceptionally well run clubs, United is the exact opposite, a footballing dinosaur at this stage. The parallels between them and Liverpool in the 90s are amazing.

Fair point about Ferguson. Re. your point about the OT stadium, I'll repeat what I said a post or two back. It's bloody monstrous. 75k fans, paying an average of, what £40-45(maybe more?) 20 odd times a season when you throw in cup and European games. The Glazers will be reluctant to spend big money improving it when it's generating the sort of money it is.

I blame the EPL, they have allowed the likes of the glazers suck so much out of clubs. The cost to united to have the glazers as owners is over a billion at this stage! People forget that their leveraged takeover could of easily ruined the club had SAF not worked wonders. Something like 80% LTV and it put something like 70mil annual payments on the club back when that accounted for all their broadcasting money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,843 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Miss of the season ? The decade maybe.

Super defending by Duffy, class

• Advertisement

Any player they have thrown big money at was a justifiable purchase at the time, on performance level, Danilo being the only player (at 30 million in 2015) really who was a failure relative to his cost in the last decade. And to be fair he was 22, had won league titles with Porto and was a Brazilian international with a dozen caps. They even managed to get most of that money back off City...

Can you give other examples?

They seem to have got their sh*t together very much so in that respect

Perhaps my use of the word circus is not what you think....

I was thinking more from the galactico strategy funded from state aid and the ridiculous expectations from fans (for example booing Ronaldo at one stage). And is there any club that blatantly Taps up and unsettles players more then Madrid? There is a reason that they usually get players at decent value.

As a club I just think it’s toxic and not one to praise TBH.

Jesus, great chance for Brighton just nooo final ball, easy one too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Strumms wrote: »
    Miss of the season ? The decade maybe.

You must have not seen the Shane Long one last week :)

Well I think we can put to the bed the argument that clubs need something to play for in order to turn up, Brighton and Huddersfield today, Newcastle yesterday. Brighton and Leicester will give City a game as will Wolves with Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Brighton butchered that break at the end.

How the Fuçk didn’t he play his buddy in

• Advertisement

For all the dominating from Arsenal those chances they coughed up towards the end there, lucky to walk away with a point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Chelsea got top four, who'd have thunk it.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Spurs to lose to Everton 4 Nil

Arsenal to beat Burnley by 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Spurs to lose to Everton 4 Nil

Arsenal to beat Burnley by 5.

Not even spurs could screw this up from here.

Top 4 is done, was a mad ending to the Arsenal game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

Was all set for a very exciting last day of the season if United and arsenal had won. Disappointing finish to the season now really unless lecister pull out a result.

• Advertisement
Advertisement