Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2018-19 Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Who wont he CL that's in the Liverpool squad?

Shaq/Sturridge?

Got it in one although both were unused subs in their former clubs finals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I personally never got the argument when people state they have X Y Z with this many trophies.

Examples above Shaq/Sturridge weren't really instrumental in the CL run when their clubs at the time won it.

Off hand I don't think City have any CL winners in the squad?Bravo from Barca maybe?

It's the experience of european footballer that clubs want in a player not the medal par taking in minimal minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Frankie Cortese

I personally never got the argument when people state they have X Y Z with this many trophies.

Examples above Shaq/Sturridge weren't really instrumental in the CL run when their clubs at the time won it.

Off hand I don't think City have any CL winners in the squad?Bravo from Barca maybe?

It's the experience of european footballer that clubs want in a player not the medal par taking in minimal minutes.

The point I was making talking about medals was that they’ve proven that they’re more than capable of sustaining a title charge. Im arguing my point that Chelsea squad is seriously under achieving unlike the Arsenal & United Swiss’s who are just plain bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Over to you Brendan Rodgers

Completely agree look at Stoke for example over the past 2 seasons in the Premier league they had Shaq,Affelay,Arnauntovic,Muniesa,Bojan and Jese who all someway or another banked a CL winners medal, more CL winners than the top sides but if you made the mere suggestion that they'd be challenging for top 4 on that evidence you'd be laughed out of the place and rightly so.

Cahill was a bench warmer this year and is leaving the club leaving David Luiz a shakey performer for half the season a sole CL winner in the side.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Over to you Brendan Rodgers

Even Ian Wright is pinning his hopes on Brendan tonight. They could get the job done, if they get enough to the ball. Getting enough of the ball is going to be the issue though.

Berserker wrote: »
    Even Ian Wright is pinning his hopes on Brendan tonight. They could get the job done, if they get enough to the ball. Getting enough of the ball is going to be the issue though.

Ian Wright? What did he say? Strikes me he has no time for Liverpool and being that his son is a Manchester City legend thought he would be rooting for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Wrighty picky Liverpool at the start of the season to win the league so he'd sticking to his guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭jpboard1

Ian Wright? What did he say? Strikes me he has no time for Liverpool and being that his son is a Manchester City legend thought he would be rooting for them?

Wrighty has tipped pool from th estart of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Berserker wrote: »

Spot on.

Get through the first 20 minutes, and just get to the ball enough that City aren't in their relentless rhythm. Pinching a goal would be a bonus.

I'll remain believing City will win unless its 2-0 Leicester in the final minute of injury time.

That said, I don't think I'll watch the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

jpboard1 wrote: »
    Wrighty has tipped pool from the start of the season.

Paul Ince backed Liverpool and I think he jinxed the team then, Liverpool haven't dropped a point since but everything he says the opposite happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The same Paul Ince that was laughed out the door in February when he anyone could do the job Ole was doing at Man U and Ole isn't the right man for the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Completely agree look at Stoke for example over the past 2 seasons in the Premier league they had Shaq,Affelay,Arnauntovic,Muniesa,Bojan and Jese who all someway or another banked a CL winners medal, more CL winners than the top sides but if you made the mere suggestion that they'd be challenging for top 4 on that evidence you'd be laughed out of the place and rightly so.

Cahill was a bench warmer this year and is leaving the club leaving David Luiz a shakey performer for half the season a sole CL winner in the side.

Pedro too, he has 3 of them.

.G. wrote: »
    Pedro too, he has 3 of them.

Ah why of course, blends nicely with discussion on some other players earlier too. He was an injury time sub in 2 of those finals :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Man City are 100/1 to win the quadruple next season........... hmmmmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

The same Paul Ince that was laughed out the door in February when he anyone could do the job Ole was doing at Man U and Ole isn't the right man for the job.

In fairness we don't know yet if he's the right man for the job. They went out of their way to give him a contract instead of trying to get Pochettino so he deserves at least a full season.
    Ah why of course, blends nicely with discussion on some other players earlier too. He was an injury time sub in 2 of those finals :)

And scored the opener in the other

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I would definitely be sticking a few euros on if the odds were a bit better, they will hit 95-100 points again next year and I cant see any team running them close like Liverpool did this year, made short work of the league cup and probably the same for the FA cup in a few weeks.

Only question is will Pep over think the champions league again when they really have the power to win it.

Champions League should be tougher next season.
    PSG, Juve, Real, Bayern and Atletico were all very disappointing in this season's competition imo. City are in a better spot than them but still didn't do better in this season's competition.

mightyreds wrote: »
    I would definitely be sticking a few euros on if the odds were a bit better, they will hit 95-100 points again next year and I cant see any team running them close like Liverpool did this year, made short work of the league cup and probably the same for the FA cup in a few weeks.

Only question is will Pep over think the champions league again when they really have the power to win it.

They got a ridiculous run in both cups though, not taking anything away from them winning as you can only play who you draw but definitely consider that their draw next year won't be the same as this:

Rotherham
    Oxford
    Burton Albion
    Newport
    Swansea
    Brighton
    Burnley
    Fulham
    Leicester
    Chelsea (pens)

mightyreds wrote: »

Ah, come on, those odds can't be that much better for the bet itself. They will go into every game next season as favourites, naturally until maybe the CL QFs if they get there. It is unlikely they will do it, as represented by the odds, but 100/1 is well worth 30 quid or so. You will most definitely get your moneys worth and will most likely be able to cash out with a tidy profit if they progress beyond Christmas in the League Cup.

They had nice cup fixtures on paper and almost screwed up 1 or 2 of those games they should easily have won this season though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Shaktar
    Hoffenheim
    Lyon
    Schalke

City also had a very handy draw in Europe until they ran into Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

City would need a dream draw in all the cups like they did this year.

As good as they are, a quad isn't feasible otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Shaktar
    Hoffenheim
    Lyon
    Schalke

Spurs should have been handy aswell.

8-10 wrote: »
    They got a ridiculous run in both cups though, not taking anything away from them winning as you can only play who you draw but definitely consider that their draw next year won't be the same as this:

Rotherham
    Oxford
    Burton Albion
    Newport
    Swansea
    Brighton
    Burnley
    Fulham
    Leicester
    Chelsea (pens)

and yet they are convinced Liverpool get all the luck.

Shaktar
    Hoffenheim
    Lyon
    Schalke

That’s what winning your domestic league does for you. Pot 1. Were always going to have a easy group and having the other 3 English teams finishing second in theirs helped them out further for the last 16.

Personally think the last 16 should be an open draw also, nothing to gain by keeping them apart in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Not gonna bother watching, no point. City will win, probably quite comfortably imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It will be an easy 4/5 nil win for City really.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Not gonna bother watching, no point. City will win, probably quite comfortably imo.

Had City to play this in between 2 games with Ajax they would be a bit tired but they've had a week off to focus on this, I don't think Leicester will be able to sit in and break on them as effectively as they'll need to.
    Hope I'm wrong but I don't think they will

Best we can hope for is a red card and no goals in the first half to give it a chance.

• Advertisement

Im arguing my point that Chelsea squad is seriously under achieving unlike the Arsenal & United Swiss’s who are just plain bad.

As a Chelsea fan who has had to put up with them all season I can't say they've under achieved at all.

Most would've said 3rd or 4th for them would sound about right now don't get me wrong the way they've gone about it has been extremely underwhelming.

We've a backline that has been constantly in disarray, our 2 midfield recruits this year Kova and Jorginho barely have an assist between them and our 2 out and out strikers are as old as Mellisandre from Game of thrones. Giroud has 2 goals and Higuain has one game left to out score Morata tis absolutely shockin'.

Still though on the verge of 2 cup finals, if we can manage to go all the way in the EL I'll see it as redemption a far cry from the miserable 2 weeks or so period where we were butchered by Bournemouth and City coupled with exiting the Fa Cup to that Man United.

Hazard has had his best return for us, the league leader in combined goals and assists yet it may end up in vain. If the likes of a Sterling or Salah have an off day there's the likes of a Mane or Silva to plug the gap. Chelsea don't have that if Hazard has an off day the hopes of getting a result are in jeopardy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

The game will need Leicester to score first to make it interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Surprised to see Leicester written off given they won the reverse fixture 2-1, and only lost to City in the League Cup on pens. Vardy is a guy that you definitely don't want to have to deal with if you leave plenty of space on the counter as City do. I would say Puel would do better with his tactics in this scenario but I suspect Rodgers will tinker to make it more akin to that. Leicester should know what to do to cause problems and if Fernandino misses out he'd be a big loss.

Looks like a game where the opening twenty minutes will be crucial. If City score early it will relieve a lot of the tension and they may well go on to put it to bed. If Leicester score early the tension will be ramped up to the max, the fans will get anxious, and Leicester could even add another in such a situation.

Got a gut feeling for a 2-2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Seen all the Leicester boys marching around Manchester heading towards spinningfields at around 5 o'clock probably going for dinner at the Ivy. Surprised they where walking around, must have been about 30 of them.

Hope they bought their own chef

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Surprised to see Leicester written off given they won the reverse fixture 2-1, and only lost to City in the League Cup on pens. Vardy is a guy that you definitely don't want to have to deal with if you leave plenty of space on the counter as City do. I would say Puel would do better with his tactics in this scenario but I suspect Rodgers will tinker to make it more akin to that. Leicester should know what to do to cause problems and if Fernandino misses out he'd be a big loss.

Looks like a game where the opening twenty minutes will be crucial. If City score early it will relieve a lot of the tension and they may well go on to put it to bed. If Leicester score early the tension will be ramped up to the max, the fans will get anxious, and Leicester could even add another in such a situation.

Got a gut feeling for a 2-2.

One of these days, etc.

I'm interested to see the reasons you'll think Brighton are likely to get a point from them after city win tonight.

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote: »
    One of these days, etc.

I'm interested to see the reasons you'll think Brighton are likely to get a point from them after city win tonight.

"Peps team will be in holiday as they'll already think they have the league in the bag, Brighton won't want to be embarrassed and drew with Arsenal to stop them getting top 4"

Etc etc etc.

City 3-1 my prediction. Aguero nearly always delivers at home in the league this season. Expect Vardy to score also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

5starpool wrote: »
    One of these days, etc.

All the subtlety of a fart in a library. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

My top 7 predictions from the pre-season Premier League thread:
    Winner: Liverpool
    Champions League spots (2nd, 3rd and 4th, in order): Man City, Chelsea, Spurs
    Europa League spots (5th, 6th and possibly 7th, in order): Arsenal, Man Utd, Wolves

One of these days, etc.

Some shout on Wolves to be fair

It will be an easy 4/5 nil win for City really.

Aside from Chelsea, I can't remember the last time Man City won by that amount in the league. They only turned over teams like West Ham by the odd goal. Leicester will keep this tight and hope to nick a goal on the break. An early goal from City would be a disaster for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

RasTa wrote: »
    Seen all the Leicester boys marching around Manchester heading towards spinningfields at around 5 o'clock probably going for dinner at the Ivy. Surprised they where walking around, must have been about 30 of them.

they say the "baby squad" are not to be messed with ....

with a name like that for a hooligan firm who would doubt them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

8-10 wrote: »
    Best we can hope for is a red card and no goals in the first half to give it a chance.
    Kompany is long overdue one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Well unless Rodgers and Vardy are in the firm then it was a different squad.

Also it's almost GOT time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

RasTa wrote: »
    Well unless Rodgers and Vardy are in the firm then it was a different squad.

Also it's almost GOT time

with there new found wealth i assumed city fans had taken the same upmarket approach and ditched the crown and anchor for the ivy :D:D

i had this image in my head of 30 odd skinheads taken over a 5 star hotel :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Garzorico

0-0 written all over this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Garzorico wrote: »

Will be goals alright I'd say... wouldn't be surprised if both teams score.

City are very flat. Leicester have had the better so far. More shots on goal also.

less than 15 minutes gone and this is your prediction between two teams that rarely don't score in a game !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Garzorico

less than 15 minutes gone and this is your prediction between two teams that rarely don't score in a game !!!!

Time will tell...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

City fans are proper moany tonight

• Advertisement
Advertisement