Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2018-19 Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

jpboard1 wrote: »
    Joint with salah who has been in a more defensive team. Debatable

Hasn't he played a good few more games than Aguero also?

Aguero deservedly in that team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭jpboard1

Hasn't he played a good few more games than Aguero also?

Aguero deservedly in that team

In a way more attacking team. Imagine what salah would do in that team. Also, Aguero always misses a good few games due to injury

In a way more attacking team. Imagine what salah would do in that team. Also, Aguero always misses a good few games due to injury

I don't understand your point in relation to Aguero missing games due to to injury. Is he supposed to not be in the team because he gets injured?

Imagining Salah at City is a Mickey Mouse debate. We're discussing the TOTY. Not the best players if they played for a better attacking team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Hazard should 100% be on the left. Best player in the league.

I don't understand your point in relation to Aguero missing games due to to injury. Is he supposed to not be in the team because he gets injured?

Imagining Salah at City is a Mickey Mouse debate. We're discussing the TOTY. Not the best players if they played for a better attacking team.
    The point is, salah has done as well as Aguero this season. Stats prove this.

correction wrote: »
    Hazard should 100% be on the left. Best player in the league.

Most talented in the league, probably. Best? Not consistent enough for me.

Nobody said Salah didn't deserved to be in it?

Unless I missed the comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Here's a good article from Statsbomb about why Salah could have been considered for POTY. I'd say it's similar for TOTY.

https://statsbomb.com/2019/04/obviously-mohammed-salah-should-have-been-on-the-pfa-shortlist/

Nobody said Salah didn't deserved to be in it?

Unless I missed the comment.

Yeah. Was just commenting on the team put forward. Aguero and mane were in it. Salah wasn’t. No sterling either

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Salah's numbers have been good, but he doesn't deserve to be in the team of the season. Pogba definitely doesn't, which shows the impact of playing well for a few weeks around voting time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Here's a good article from Statsbomb about why Salah could have been considered for POTY. I'd say it's similar for TOTY.

https://statsbomb.com/2019/04/obviously-mohammed-salah-should-have-been-on-the-pfa-shortlist/

Salah played 800 minutes more than Aguero. Says alot about what Aguero does when hes on the pitch.

Salah played 800 minutes more than Aguero. Says alot about what Aguero does when hes on the pitch.

Salah is getting double marked in most games so much harder for him to operate this year. Probably has helped Mane though as he's getting more space.

If Augero could stay fit for a full season he'd bag some amount of goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

If Chelsea beat United that's 8 losses in 10 for them.

Wont happen, we havent won away to a top 6 side in something like 10 games.

The worst thing is a draw probably kills both sides chances of 4th and Arsenal will stroll in and nick it.

Spurs beating Brighton the other night has all but ensured they get 3rd at this stage, was a vital win so they werent dragged into a race for 4th.

5starpool wrote: »
    Salah's numbers have been good, but he doesn't deserve to be in the team of the season. Pogba definitely doesn't, which shows the impact of playing well for a few weeks around voting time.

His stats are as good or better than other players in the team

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Wont happen, we havent won away to a top 6 side in something like 10 games.

The worst thing is a draw probably kills both sides chances of 4th and Arsenal will stroll in and nick it.

Spurs beating Brighton the other night has all but ensured they get 3rd at this stage, was a vital win so they werent dragged into a race for 4th.

Arsenal aren’t strolling anywhere. They need a good kick up the ass

Yes but he can’t stay fit. Has to be taken into account.

His stats are as good or better than other players in the team

You can prove anything with stats Bill.

You can prove anything with stats Bill.

So what are you basing your statement on?

Yes but he can’t stay fit. Has to be taken into account.

No it doesn't. Not for a TOT. If anything it makes his stats better!

• Advertisement

So what are you basing your statement on?

Having watched every minute of every Liverpool game. Is that OK?

No it doesn't. Not for a TOT. If anything it makes his stats better!

Yes it does. You need a player you can rely on. Not one that’s going to be missing. No doubt Aguero is brilliant when fit. Just not fit enough.

Having watched every minute of every Liverpool game. Is that OK?

Oh just on your opinion then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Yes it does. You need a player you can rely on. Not one that’s going to be missing. No doubt Aguero is brilliant when fit. Just not fit enough.

Aguero has only not played in 5 PL games all season, came off injured in 1 game.

Given the Pep rotation he came off usually around the 60/70 mark in a lot of games this season after scoring, assisting, generally getting his team set up to win.

Stats are v impressive this season.

You could say he's been more reliable, scores early, comes off, gives Jesus et al a run out

Aguero has only not played in 5 PL games all season, came off injured in 1 game.

Given the Pep rotation he came off usually around the 60/70 mark in a lot of games this season after scoring, assisting, generally getting his team set up to win.

Stats are v impressive this season.

Absolutely. But Salah can be depended on far more. Has been able to play far more minutes. For now anyway. I fear it will eventually take its toll. For me, they should both be in the team. With probably sterling as the third in a front 3.

Sunday is going to be a great day of football.

City chasing Pool in their most difficult game left, away to Burnley who are safe but I'd imagine Dyche would love to upset the apple cart and frustrate City and Pep, if City play like they did last night, Burnley wont stand a chance.

Arsenal go away to Leicester and take the 9th best away record in the PL with them, nothing is sure with Arsenal and away trips so that should be interesting, a win or draw moves them back up to 4th for the time being.

Utd host Chelsea, two sides hoping for 4th but neither are in a great place at the moment, Utd have 7 losses from 9 games and Chelsea dont show up in away games to rivals.

• Advertisement

Oh just on your opinion then?

My opinion is based on my opinion. Ground breaking realisation for you.

Absolutely. But Salah can be depended on far more. Has been able to play far more minutes. For now anyway. I fear it will eventually take its toll. For me, they should both be in the team. With probably sterling as the third in a front 3.

Aguero more dependable that Salah. Hes a goal machine. Aguero done it year on year.

My opinion is based on my opinion. Ground breaking realisation for you.

and yet completely inconsequential

Aguero more dependable that Salah. Hes a goal machine. Aguero done it year on year.

award is only based on this season

award is only based on this season

Just saying Aguero more dependable, he is top goal scorer or there about every season.

On this season Its clear to me that Aguero is better , 800 minutes is quite significant .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Somebody texted me and said Pogba was in team of the year.

I thought they were taking the piss.

ebbsy wrote: »
    Somebody texted me and said Pogba was in team of the year.

I thought they were taking the piss.

And the headline on the BBC is Pogba. Would make you laugh

and yet completely inconsequential

As is this whole forum then and any opinion anyone has ever stated. What point are you trying to make?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Pogba in the TOTY is a joke tbh, had a handful of good games when Ole took over and then reverted to type.

I'd have Neves in there over him every day of the week

astradave wrote: »
    Pogba in the TOTY is a joke tbh, had a handful of good games when Ole took over and then reverted to type.

I'd have Neves in there over him every day of the week

Neves was outstanding. Only 22 and first time in the PL. Would love him at Liverpool.

Neves was outstanding. Only 22 and first time in the PL. Would love him at Liverpool.

Yep, will have plenty of suitors, I'd love him at United.. will cost a fortune though as Wolves dont need the money

Yep, will have plenty of suitors, I'd love him at United.. will cost a fortune though as Wolves dont need the money

I don't think he'll leave this summer. Wouldn't be surprised if Wolves invest heavily and try challenge for Top 4 next season.

I don't think he'll leave this summer. Wouldn't be surprised if Wolves invest heavily and try challenge for Top 4 next season.

I was only chatting about that to a Wolves fan I know, says that the word is they are going to try keep building on what they have.

Would be surprised to see them sell anyone as Mendes is an advisor to the owner and a good friend. Might see them go for some of his bigger clients.

I was only chatting about that to a Wolves fan I know, says that the word is they are going to try keep building on what they have.

Would be surprised to see them sell anyone as Mendes is an advisor to the owner and a good friend. Might see them go for some of his bigger clients.

I used to work with one but seeing all his Facebook posts are brilliant now. He's delighted with his club :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Are you going to spend big this summer? He's going to cost you £100m or so. Proven PL talent and he's yet to reach his prime. I'd stay at Wolves if I was him. Ditto for the Irish lad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Ole is proving to be a top spoofer and out of his depth. One of the biggest rebuild jobs in football is needed at old trafford and he is not experienced enough for the job.

Once again Woodward went for the easy option and the Utd fans fell for it hook, line and sinker. Woodward needs shifting and then an elite manager needs to revive that club.

The gulf in class between Utd and City last night was night and day stuff.

Berserker wrote: »
    Are you going to spend big this summer? He's going to cost you £100m or so. Proven PL talent and he's yet to reach his prime. I'd stay at Wolves if I was him. Ditto for the Irish lad.

I'd say Klopp will look for a number 10 (similar to Fekir) a backup striker who can cover the WF spots (Brandt linked) and someone who can cover LB/RB so maybe 100m in buys?

Grujic is been linked with a €40m move away so probably not going to cost massive money for the above players after sales. The club have huge hopes for Brewster so I think he'll get a lot of minutes next season.

If Leeds come up I think Milner will join them. Moreno and Sturidge are out of contract so they'll be off. Mingleot will probably go as well for first team football. That would leave us needing an older guy to be sub keeper.

Moreno and Sturidge are out of contract so they'll be off. Mingleot will probably go as well for first team football

The core Liverpool that every non Liverpool fan loved. They will be greatly missed :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

I'd say Klopp will look for a number 10 (similar to Fekir) a backup striker who can cover the WF spots (Brandt linked) and someone who can cover LB/RB so maybe 100m in buys?

Grujic is been linked with a €40m move away so probably not going to cost massive money for the above players after sales. The club have huge hopes for Brewster so I think he'll get a lot of minutes next season.

If Leeds come up I think Milner will join them. Moreno and Sturidge are out of contract so they'll be off. Mingleot will probably go as well for first team football. That would leave us needing an older guy to be sub keeper.

One of the 18 goalkeepers at Burnley would probably do.

fyfe79 wrote: »
    One of the 18 goalkeepers at Burnley would probably do.

He just needs to be a solid keeper for the cups. Could pick Cech up if he leaves Arsenal and he's happy to be subbing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

I'd go with Nick Pope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

He just needs to be a solid keeper for the cups. Could pick Cech up if he leaves Arsenal and he's happy to be subbing.

Is Cech not retiring I thought?

Cech is retiring an taking up coaching apparently.

Is Cech not retiring I thought?

Maybe he is. Was just using him as an example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Salah had such an insane season last year that it feels like this season has been a relative disappointment even though by any regular metric he's had a very good season.

Advertisement