Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2018-19 Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

As a side note. Rodgers has improved as a manager since he's left Liverpool.

Leicester for me next season (and if they sign a couple of players) are in with a good shout to challenge for top 6 again IMO

Going to be a challenge for Man Utd to regain top 6 place.

But I'm sure Man Utd fans will be happy to Man City win another title.
    Maybe both sets of fans might celebrate together lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

As a side note. Rodgers has improved as a manager since he's left Liverpool.

Leicester for me next season (and if they sign a couple of players) are in with a good shout to challenge for top 6 again IMO

Looks like united's place is under threat then :D

Edit: MD1990 beat me to it.

With regard to united they are no longer a top team. Mid table is where they are at from here on in. The fans are so bitter towards Liverpol not winning the league they were more than happy to lose top 4 chance by loosing to city couple weeks back. That result came back to bite them and now they ended up missing out completely in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Ole said that the other day m that it'll hard for them to retain a top 6 place , Very Moyes or Woy like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

With all the United fans supporting Man City for the last few weeks & months in the league, including the game at Old Trafford, they will also be supporting City again still in the FA Cup final.

A Watford win means that they get the automatic EL group stage spot and that United will have to enter the EL at the 2nd qualifying round in July, meaning that all their pre-season plans and tours will have to be thrown out as they play in the back arse of nowhere.

A City win means that they will go through to the EL group stages.

I always felt that loss against City in the Etihad was crucial.

They had the luck on the day. Kompany no red,Mane miss & Sane's deflected winner too.

But to win 13 in a row when needed is superb. PL teams need to show a bit more bravery against them though. Yet to see many teams attempt to press them high which is strange. Leicester did do well last night but dropped too deep at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Next year like right now, the English sides will make the EL a huge priority because they have to.

6 "top teams" and 4 CL places clearly doesnt add up so the 2 that miss out and go into the EL have to take it seriously and the English sides are very well placed, squad wise to have a good go at the EL.

Any English side in it, they should be easily making the QFs, assuming they take it seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Top 6 is definitely there for the taking for a few teams next season.

Really?
    3rd to 6th went to hell in the last few months of this season & had European runs but they still didn't mount any challenge to them.

Edit: MD1990 beat me to it.

With regard to united they are no longer a top team. Mid table is where they are at from here on in. The fans are so bitter towards Liverpol not winning the league they were more than happy to lose top 4 chance by loosing to city couple weeks back. That result came back to bite them and now they ended up missing out completely in the end.

Discussing Leicester
    Discussing Rodgers

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

ERG89 wrote: »
    Really?
    3rd to 6th went to hell in the last few months of this season & had European runs but they still didn't mount any challenge to them.

United place up for grabs seeing as they will have lots of personnel changes and the weakest manager of all the big teams.

Chelsea might be in trouble if Hazard leaves and their ban is upheld.

Spurs will find it very hard to replace Toby and Erikson especially if Levy won't loosen the purse strings. They'll be hoping Kane recovers from the ankle injuries and there's no recurring issues.

Arsenal need to invest. Excellent at the top end but need to improve the defense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

If the rumours are to be believed, Arsenal will have a max budget of £40 million to spend this summer.
    That's insane for a team who want to challenge at the top end of the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Discussing Leicester
    Discussing Rodgers

:pac:

FVa1dgu.png

If the rumours are to be believed, Arsenal will have a max budget of £40 million to spend this summer.
    That's insane for a team who want to challenge at the top end of the league.

Thought it was £100m and player sales?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

ERG89 wrote: »
    Really?

The damage was already done at this stage to the likes of Leicester/Everton after a sub-par first half of season. United won't have that run of form bounce next season unless they do sack Ole.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Thought it was £100m and player sales?

Stories over the weekend of £30-£40 million.

You'd have to aks yourself where would have United finished if it wasn't for that bounce they got from Oles taking over considering they will still probably finish 6th

They had form of Champions for over a month and then reverted to type, with out that run of wins things could look a whole lot worse, ,

MD1990 wrote: »
    Going to be a challenge for Man Utd to regain top 6 place.

But I'm sure Man Utd fans will be happy to Man City win another title.
    Maybe both sets of fans might celebrate together lol.

Well it was a nice serious discussion whilst it lastest before this nonsense was posted.
    I always felt that loss against City in the Etihad was crucial.

What you feel and what is fact is completely different.

Stories over the weekend of £30-£40 million.

Did Ramsey leave on a free? I could be wrong here.

Did anyone else notice last night G Nev uttered the words, " Kompany where do you want your Statue " I'm hoping it has the same effect as it had when he said the same words to Ole,

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

FitzShane wrote: »
    With all the United fans supporting Man City for the last few weeks & months in the league, including the game at Old Trafford, they will also be supporting City again still in the FA Cup final.

A Watford win means that they get the automatic EL group stage spot and that United will have to enter the EL at the 2nd qualifying round in July, meaning that all their pre-season plans and tours will have to be thrown out as they play in the back arse of nowhere.

Could be the best thing to happen to the club. It will be a new low point. And the loss of revenue from a lucrative tour would be a big hit for Woodward's credentials I'd hope.

Also be great if they drew an Irish team (should one get there) and had to play here.

They could conceivably play Molde too. Which would be funny

• Advertisement

Yup. Was in tears the weekend after the game.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Yup. Was in tears the weekend after the game.

Point being was no revenue for him either on a sale. I'd say the numbers of 40 million for Arsenal spend is about right.

Yeah,on a free to Juventus.
    Costly enough to replace him. I can't see any of the rest of any potential departures getting big fees.
    Where did all the money Wenger was hoarding go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Next year like right now, the English sides will make the EL a huge priority because they have to.

6 "top teams" and 4 CL places clearly doesnt add up so the 2 that miss out and go into the EL have to take it seriously and the English sides are very well placed, squad wise to have a good go at the EL.

Any English side in it, they should be easily making the QFs, assuming they take it seriously.

Sure but the old Thurs/Sun slog coming back from the eastern front can be greater than the presumed power of the squad to sustain a plausible top four campaign for Utd and one of Spurs/Arsenal. You can end up with some good sides crashing out of the CL after Christmas (that really needs to be ended). It's hard to imagine Arsenal sustaining a challenge on both fronts unless the cards fall quite kindly. Utd are harder to guess at this point due to potential of big chequebook and how long OGS lasts. Spurs fall between the two, looks like Levi will spend big but not as much as Man Utd of course.

Costly enough to replace him. I can't see any of the rest of any potential departures getting big fees.

Where's the Arteta Arsenal money Bill Wenger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Watford forcing United to enter earlier rounds of EL would be hilarious, I would love that, no better two fingers to the owners annual grow the club schedule. Id say the summer would be the Glazers favourite time of year if it wasnt for having to buy players for the first team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Stan Kronke's bank account?
    Americans shouldn't be allowed own "soccer" clubs. FSG apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I've seen the United team I support fail to get the necessary points to win the title on numerous occasions. Upton Park '95 springs to mind. Doesn't mean they were bottlers. It happens in sport sometimes. Wish my team had the character of those sides now.

Can understand some fans being emotional tonight but I think if they reflect on what's been said coldly and without emotion they'll realise it really was in their team's hands.

Not over yet of course. Maybe City will have their Upton Park moment at the weekend.

'It was in their hands' has its limits though.

Cardiff had the league title in their hands on the opening day of the season. If they'd won every game, there was nothing any other team could have done. But that is taking the phrase and concept to nonsensical extremes.

In Liverpool's case, they were clear at the top at the end of January, so saying that it was in their hands is a lot less of a nonsensical extreme than the Cardiff example.

But if anybody had the power to offer Liverpool that end-of-January position, and offer them the same results they've had from then to now, they'd snatch your hand off for it, because it would have meant that only a simply astonishing of wins from Man City would catch them.

It is Man City's astonishing run of results that is the key factor here. 'It was in their hands' is technically correct of course, but it doesn't mean a whole lot beyond that.

What this season shows me is that the PL has become so imbalanced that it's getting a bit like how the Old Firm used to be. The top 2 (or 3 or 4) teams will pick up a ridiculous amount of points, so the number of slip-ups they are allowed gets fewer and fewer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Sure but the old Thurs/Sun slog coming back from the eastern front can be greater than the presumed power of the squad to sustain a plausible top four campaign for Utd and one of Spurs/Arsenal. You can end up with some good sides crashing out of the CL after Christmas (that really needs to be ended). It's hard to imagine Arsenal sustaining a challenge on both fronts unless the cards fall quite kindly. Utd are harder to guess at this point due to potential of big chequebook and how long OGS lasts. Spurs fall between the two, looks like Levi will spend big but not as much as Man Utd of course.

Yeh but spurs will buy players that will strengthen the first team and probabley get them at a good price. United will spend twice as much once Woodward has crunched the numbers on the potential financial payback they will get on a signing through marketing or resale and Uniteds manager will take all the flack. Rinse repeat ad nauseam.

For rival fans the best think United can do is waste another 200million so some of our own fanbase can convince themselves that the problem arent the owners!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Rodgers could be back at Liverpool soon enough.

How.

• Advertisement

How.

When Leicester travel to Anfield is the only time he'll be there.

We'll have a date once the fixtures for next season are announced.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Must be collecting this months rent off his tenant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I'd be surprised if that happened anytime soon but he'd be certainly be in line for another of the big jobs if he carries on with Leicester as he has begun.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If arsenal win the EL, it's know England will have 5 CL spots, that's fine. Does England in effect lose a EL spot then, and if so, is it the lowest one? In that case of arsenal and City win their league cups, utd and wolves would go directly into the group stages and no English team in the qualifiers in July.

Utd will probably finish 5th anyway as arsenal won't beat Burnley on the last day. Utd could well struggle to bear Cardiff at home, but still should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I expect Rodgers to do reasonably well at Leicester next season, and if things don’t go Liverpool’s way this week Klopp may be gone this time next year.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I expect Rodgers to do reasonably well at Leicester next season, and if things don’t go Liverpool’s way this week Klopp may be gone this time next year.

He may. He almost certainly won't be though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

5starpool wrote: »
    He may. He almost certainly won't be though.

They are so desperate for Klopp to leave Liverpool :pac: same poster invented a £70 million transfer last week as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Arsenal generate a lot of cash but still owed net money on their stadium until May last year:

https://www.arsenal.com/news/financial-results-201718

They had surplus cash by May last year, but, just when you think the board might start thinking of investing in the team again, turnover dropped by nearly £35M due to being in the EL rather than the CL. Wages also increased by £24M but they still didn't make the CL in the current year nor is it looking likely for next year. For a prudently run company like Arsenal, alarm bells will be ringing.Fans will be screaming for investment in players (while ignoring the even higher wages which will result), but the financial heads will be saying they still can't afford it when they are running at £60M down on the CL years (through the drop in turnover and increase in wages).

It is a chicken and egg situation as regards investment / success / income but the financial heads will be saying that Lacazette and Auba cost money but where is the success? Looking at their current squad it is difficult to see where funds could be generated as they were in 2018 (Walcott, Ox, Sanchez and Giroud get an honourable mention in the accounts). Those sales generated £122M according to the accounts. That's not going to happen this year.

• Advertisement

Reportedly that's correct on Kieta tbf

Lowest evaluation was the Irish times at 52.7 Million sterling which is 61 million Euro

Most of the tabloids went with 70million Euro I think

Not sure what the faux outrage is there

Lowest evaluation was the Irish times at 52.7 Million sterling which is 61 million Euro

Because 1) you are changing currencys and 2) adding on an extra 10 million just to make it sound more expensive.

Why not call it a 400,000,000 Italian Lira transfer while you're at it. Makes it sound even bigger again and ultimately that's all you want.

Sure isn't Sanchez on a billion euros a week depending on which source you read. ;)

I blame Brexit personally for the currency fluctuations.

Because 1) you are changing currencys and 2) adding on an extra 10 million just to make it sound more expensive.

Why not call it a 400,000,000 Italian Lira transfer while you're at it. Makes it sound even bigger again and ultimately that's all you want.

I didn't write up the reports. One says euros the other says Sterling.
    Maybe you could take up issue with the various sources. Nothing can be certified as concrete evidence.

The tabloids probably adding some sensationalism to them or maybe putting add-ons into the price.

A post was made by a poster and not me that Keita cost 70million euro
    That's what's in a load of reports by tabloids ect
    No point in getting triggered over that

Don't think Man Utd fans should be going about Keita who has done well since March.

Man Utd paid 60m for Fred lol. Probably the worst transfer in PL history.

I think Fred The Red is due a name change now lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Lol.

Don't think Man Utd fans should be going about Keita who has done well since March.

People in Andy Carroll houses shouldn't throw stones

• Advertisement

Should be a run of the mill victory for City

But it would be interesting if Liverpool score early and news filters through to City, could amp up the pressure them , In reality City will be 3 up by half time ,

Advertisement