Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2018-19 Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

People in Andy Carroll houses shouldn't throw stones

definitely one of the worst but at least around half 17m was recouped.

Don't think anyone is paying 30m for Fred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Liverpool fan laughing at Man United transfer fees.Very short memories or have you blanked out all the duds that were signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

yabadabado wrote: »
    Liverpool fan laughing at Man United transfer fees.Very short memories or have you blanked out all the duds that were signed.

No but Carroll cost nearly half of Fred.

Liverpool were terrible for quite a few years. They they spend 60m on anyone no.

Also is was first brought up about Keita being a poor signing & inflating his transfer fee. He has been very good in the last few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Fck me lads.

Carroll was back in 2011 back when 35Million(Or whatever it was) was huge money.

Either way nobody gives a flying fck who pissed more money away it's not out of your pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

In what world is 35 divided by 47 almost half?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

What are you on about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

How are we talking about Andy Carroll in 2019?

Didn't know he was banned for drugs before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Himself and Torres invented Net Spend don't you know. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Because "some reports use euros and the others say sterling.Maybe you could take up issue with the various sources. Nothing can be certified as concrete evidence. The tabloids probably adding some sensationalism to them or maybe putting add-ons into the price"

Isn't that how it works? Pick and choose the highest possible valuation you have read in any report in any currency and whichever number is highest, that's what you go with.

amd FWIW, I've always thought Fred cost £52m.

Just some people refuse to look at the actual costs reported by the clubs and instead just want to see the highest possible number. Roma released a statement that Allison would cost Liverpool £56m and then a further £11m based on sporting achievements that may or may not be met.. But rival fans keep saying he cost £70m because it is a higher number and gets a better reaction with likes. https://www.asroma.com/en/news/2018/7/transfer-agreed-for-alisson-to-join-liverpool

Someone brought up the worst transfer in Premier League history, although TBF the discussion probably needs its own thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Himself and Torres invented Net Spend don't you know. :)

United are currently a shambles likely to finish 6th even though they had a 2 months period of league winning form ,While Liverpool have amassed more points than United ever have in the premier league, but but but but you signed Andy Carroll 8 years ago eh ok ,

Jesus Christ on a bike United fans still going on about Andy Carroll but its Liverpool fans live in the past,

FitzShane wrote: »
    Because "some reports use euros and the others say sterling.Maybe you could take up issue with the various sources. Nothing can be certified as concrete evidence. The tabloids probably adding some sensationalism to them or maybe putting add-ons into the price"

Isn't that how it works? Pick and choose the highest possible valuation you have read in any report in any currency and whichever number is highest, that's what you go with.

amd FWIW, I've always thought Fred cost £52m.

Just some people refuse to look at the actual costs reported by the clubs and instead just want to see the highest possible number. Roma released a statement that Allison would cost Liverpool £56m and then a further £11m based on sporting achievements that may or may not be met.. But rival fans keep saying he cost £70m because it is a higher number and gets a better reaction with likes. https://www.asroma.com/en/news/2018/7/transfer-agreed-for-alisson-to-join-liverpool

Can you provide the source for Keita?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Jesus Christ this thread has some fantastic posters then the usual kids come on goading each other about Man Utd and Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Jesus Christ this thread has some fantastic posters then the usual kids come on goading each other about Man Utd and Liverpool

We should lobby for a system like reddit where down voted comments disappear into oblivion.

mightyreds wrote: »
    We should lobby for a system like reddit where down voted comments disappear into oblivion.

Wouldn't really matter. When each side would have obligatory upvoters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Can you provide the source for Keita?

£52.75 million total (£48m + £4.75m premium for securing him a year ahead of his move). That's quoted by BBC, SKY, Liverpool Echo

sample source https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/11372091/naby-keitas-liverpool-cost-finalised-after-rb-leipzig-finish-sixth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

mightyreds wrote: »

You would have some post from January as the first post though, reddit is not great for discussion. I have been using it for years but have only a handful of posts on there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Agreed. This thread is regularly hijacked/derailed by fans of those clubs, out to score points off one another. It's a pity, but there you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I expect Rodgers to do reasonably well at Leicester next season, and if things don’t go Liverpool’s way this week Klopp may be gone this time next year.

The absolute tripe posted on here to wind up "rival" supporters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Not to mention the fact the chief protagonist today is the same poster who trolls and goads Liverpool fans constantly and then goes crying to the mods if someone hurts his feelings. I think we all know who this nameless "victim' is. He is in flying form today by the looks of it.
    And I amn't even a Liverpool fan, this particular poster seems to derail these threads all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

rob316 wrote:

Not to mention the fact the chief protagonist today is the same poster who trolls and goads Liverpool fans constantly and then goes crying to the mods if someone hurts his feelings. I think we all know who this nameless "victim' is. He is in flying form today by the looks of it. And I amn't even a Liverpool fan, this particular poster seems to derail these threads all the time.

Right now it's just ye doing it. Ignore and keep talking PL I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Fair enough, that was literally all I needed to say.

rob316 wrote: »

I’d imagine you were saying the same about Rodgers when he was sacked 5 months after signing a 4 year contract.

Tripe, of course, no trophies in 4 years, good chance Klopp won’t be at Liverpool next summer for me. We'll see how it goes.

Just hit me no PL football all summer after next weekend. Sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

Pter wrote: »
    yup, i'm thinking about it last three weeks so consider yourself lucky :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It'll help ease you into the Championship next season ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Thank fcuk. The past three or games has aged me even more than I already was. I'll be a physical wreck come sunday evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Feels earlier than normal this year for whatever reason. Copa America starting early June. Will have a bit of that.

TitianGerm wrote:
    It'll help ease you into the Championship next season

You guys will miss me when I'm gone next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Pter wrote:
    You guys will miss me when I'm gone next season.

I'll miss you #2 behind Neil Warnock but I hope Sheffield United appoint him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

I’d imagine you were saying the same about Rodgers when he was sacked 5 months after signing a 4 year contract.

Tripe, of course, no trophies in 4 years, good chance Klopp won’t be at Liverpool next summer for me. We'll see how it goes.

Klopp performing miracles with his job on the line this summer

After last night, I'm gonna just assume City draw and Liverpool against Wolves :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

After last night, I'm gonna just assume City draw and Liverpool against Wolves :pac:

Scary stuff, we'll be hearing about it for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Yes but don't worry it's very very unlikely. Yesterday I didn't think we had a realistic chance against Barcelone but still thought it was more likely than winning the Premier league. Nothing has changed.
    Except of course we beat Barcelona.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Yeah right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Yep just like Liverpool have been hearing about Gerrard slip if you can give it out then you have to take it when it comes back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

WhIcH ShIp hAs nEvEr dOCKed in LIveRPooL?? hahahahahhahha :pac:

Yep just like Liverpool have been hearing about Gerrard slip if you can give it out then you have to take it when it comes back

That was karma for the ghost goal ;)

• Advertisement

That was karma for the ghost goal ;)

:D:D madly I think the ghost goal helped Chelsea that day without it Cech was getting a red and Liverpool a peno ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Feels earlier than normal this year for whatever reason. Copa America starting early June. Will have a bit of that.

And there's the Nations League Finals. Be still my beating heart...

:D:D madly I think the ghost goal helped Chelsea that day without it Cech was getting a red and Liverpool a peno ,

It did help them they had 85 mins to get an away goal with a full team, they could have to play 85 mins with 10 men other wise

Kidding yourselves, these days Baros would likely be flagged for the high leg.

It wasn't a goal and Liverpool progressed.Gudjohnsen should have scored in the end but it set the scene for Instanbul.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Chelsea lost their appeal today, sarri will struggle with no new signings

I wonder will they now sell Hazard ?

And there's the Nations League Finals. Be still my beating heart...

May bank holiday weekend (EFL Play-off Finals) is the 25th, which means the FA Cup Final is on 18th May. I seem to remember the Premier league has said it will finish a week before the FA Cup final so not to clash which means the Premier League this season will finish on the 12th May

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

This thread :o (again)

Maybe next season, we can have a Premier League thread for non United and 'pool fans? Maybe even one for for people who don't support a PL club. I'm sure there's a few of us here.

In.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Chelsea lost their appeal today, sarri will struggle with no new signings

That's not it over they'll be going to court of arribration for sport, today's result was more or less a formality I'd have said.

Kidding yourselves, these days Baros would likely be flagged for the high leg.

It wasn't a goal and Liverpool progressed.Gudjohnsen should have scored in the end but it set the scene for Instanbul.

The ref is on record saying he would have sent Cech off and awarded Liverpool a pen if he did not award a goal

By David Barnes

THE REFEREE in charge of the controversial Champions League semi-final between Liverpool and Chelsea sensationally broke his silence last night.

Slovakian Lobos Michel, in an exclusive SP interview, reckons Chelsea were LUCKY to concede the winning goal to Luis Garcia at Anfield on Tuesday night.

He explained: "I believe Chelsea would have preferred the goal to count rather than face a penalty with just ten men for the rest of the game.

"If my assistant referee had not signalled a goal, I would have given a penalty and sent off goalkeeper Petr Cech."

Michel who runs a company flogging car tyres in Bratislava, added: "Jose Mourinho shook my hand after the game and did not complain about the goal. I appreciated his gesture.

"I was quite ready to explain everything, but no-one asked me about the situation. I always answer polite questions.

The crescendo of noise from the Anfield crowd cut communications between Michel and Roman Slysco, the linesman who gave the goal. Michel added: "Roman beeped me to signal the foul by Cech, but I didn't know that till later.

"It was the noise from the crowd that stopped me hearing it. I have refereed at places like Barcelona, Ibrox, Manchester United and Arsenal. But I've never in my life been involved in such an atmosphere. It was incredible.

"I did not need the signal from Roman, though. I had already seen the foul and played advantage. There was no doubt in Roman's mind about the goal and he was in the best position to see.

"I chose him to be part of our team and I trust him. He is a heart surgeon and mistaken decisions are not allowed in his job.

"There was not even need to confer. He signalled the goal and sprinted back to the half-way line.

"I have seen the goal scores of times since on TV and have no reason to change my mind. But it would still be fine by me if they brought in technology to decide these things for the World Cup, European Championship and Champions League."

And Michel would be happy if UEFA select him to take charge of future European ties involving English clubs.

He said: "What I like about England is the players are very fair. They don't like to dive, they don't feign injury. Just one yellow card in a match of such intensity shows that.

"Some people were surprised I played six minutes more at the end. I have never given so many before.

"But apart from the subs, I had to take time off for the two people running on the field and the time-wasting by fans keeping the ball."

• Advertisement
Advertisement