Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2018-19 Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

ozzy jr wrote: »
    This thread :o (again)

Maybe next season, we can have a Premier League thread for non United and 'pool fans? Maybe even one for for people who don't support a PL club. I'm sure there's a few of us here.

Can sh1te premier League clubs join in to? I'm in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Can sh1te premier League clubs join in to? I'm in

Your lot ain't ****e anymore.... Unless you meant the United ;)

This is a joke before anyone gets offended!!

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Your lot ain't ****e anymore....

That's what they want you to think. A few good string of results and we finally think we're going to do something useful and bam! We go to sh1te, I know it all to well :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

ozzy jr wrote: »
    This thread :o (again)

Maybe next season, we can have a Premier League thread for non United and 'pool fans? Maybe even one for for people who don't support a PL club. I'm sure there's a few of us here.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057896655

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So Chelsea will have to use some of there 6284 players they have out on loan then next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

The ref is on record saying he would have sent Cech off and awarded Liverpool a pen if he did not award a goal
    Never seen that before what an awful decision that would have been. So he awarded a goal his assistant said to give and if he wasn't awarding it he was sending Cech off for what certainly wasnt a red card. Refs make mistakes thank feck for goal line tech now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Think he meant a thread where PL can be discussed with fans who have no skin in the game blueser. Not a thread to discuss the EFL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Pter wrote: »
    Think he meant a thread where PL can be discussed with fans who have no skin in the game blueser. Not a thread to discuss the EFL.

Exactly this.

blueser wrote: »

Did you used to use that one Blueser ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Pter wrote: »
    Sorry; misunderstood his post.
    TitianGerm wrote: »
    Did you used to use that one Blueser ;)
    Not at all. I've been following City since 2008; before that I was a Chelsea fan, and neither club have been out of the PL in, ooooh, ages.

Not at all. I've been following City since 2008; before that I was a Chelsea fan, and neither club have been out of the PL in, ooooh, ages.

Brilliant :pac:

Haha that gave me some laugh

Everton will best Spurs last game of season I think. Shame it be for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Everton will best Spurs last game of season I think. Shame it be for nothing.

Might well do. However, they'll start off next season with three draws and two loses or something similar, knowing Everton.

Berserker wrote: »
    Might well do. However, they start off next season with three draws and two loses or something similar, knowing Everton.

That's generous. Definitely be 3 loses 1 draw. Probably get City first game of the season! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Never seen that before what an awful decision that would have been. So he awarded a goal his assistant said to give and if he wasn't awarding it he was sending Cech off for what certainly wasnt a red card. Refs make mistakes thank feck for goal line tech now.

Baros nick the ball ahead of the keeper as going around him to tap it in, keeper took him out it is a pen and red card as by the laws of the game at the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Pretty good year for English football, two English sides contesting the champions league final, almost certainly a third will contest the europa final and you wouldnt back against Chelsea making it either.

Balance of power swinging back towards England?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Feels earlier than normal this year for whatever reason. Copa America starting early June. Will have a bit of that.

African Cup of Nations on in the summer now too. Starts June 21st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

dmigsy wrote: »
    African Cup of Nations on in the summer now too. Starts June 21st.

That will be hot conditions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Very tuff end of the season for United Fan's

City can do the treble
    Liverpool can do the Double
    Spurs can win the Champions league
    Arsenal can win the Europa
    Chelsea can win the Europa

United can watch ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

City can do the treble without being in the CL final?

pjohnson wrote: »

They won the Carling cup or whatever it is ,
    They can win the Prem
    They can win the Fa Cup

It must be particularly tough for him specifically
    Because he never stops talking about Utd :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I think City would swap all 3 for the CL title.

Since they never won.

While Liverpool just want the league.

It must be particularly tough for him specifically
    Because he never stops talking about Utd :pac:

Even when his team can win the double he STILL cant just enjoy the success without his favourite topic.

Even when his team can win the double he STILL cant just enjoy the success without his favourite topic.

Don't worry I'm enjoying every bit of it,

To be honest even if they lose the final its worth it for the feeling of Tuesday night,

Obviously you want to win trophies and be gutted if they don't win it ,
    but football is all about how it makes you feel and Tuesday will take some beating.

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    That will be hot conditions!

Average temp in June in Egypt is around 27 C, same as some places for the World Cup that was in Brazil

They won the Carling cup or whatever it is ,
    They can win the Prem
    They can win the Fa Cup

Don't you know according to some the treble has to be a specific set of trophies. :pac:

Don't you know according to some the treble has to be a specific set of trophies. :pac:

Seems the league cup is only meaningless depending on who wins it, Same with the Europa league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

One thing I always found funny is that 'the treble' is only allowed to mean a particular set of trophies.
    Fair enough, Liverpool's in 2001 was not seen as a 'real' treble as the league was not won, instead it was 3 cups.

So on that basis, for a 'real' treble, it has to be a league + 2 cups.
    Man City are in pole position to do that this season.

the 1999 treble is always talked about as 'the' treble as it was the League, European cup and a domestic trophy.
    In 1984, Liverpool won the League, European cup and a domestic trophy.

• Advertisement

I thought THE treble was generally regarded as the three major elite competitions a club can enter. The league, the main national cup and Champions League. Be it Serie A, Coppa Italia and CL or La Liga, Copa Del Rey, CL or Premier League, FA Cup and CL and so on.

Naturally a club can win three trophies and count it as A treble but I thought THE treble referred specifically to the three mentioned above.

Kinda like in tennis a player can win 4 tournaments in a year and fair play to them but its not called a Grand Slam unless those 4 are specifically the major tournaments ie. Australian Open, Wimbledon, Roland Garros and American Open. (Upgraded to Golden Slam if they add an Olympic Gold medal that same year)

I thought THE treble was generally regarded as the three major elite competitions a club can enter. The league, the main national cup and Champions League. Be it Serie A, Coppa Italia and CL or La Liga, Copa Del Rey, CL or Premier League, FA Cup and CL and so on.

Naturally a club can win three trophies and count it as A treble but I thought THE treble referred specifically to the three mentioned above.

Kinda like in tennis a player can win 4 tournaments in a year and fair play to them but its not called a Grand Slam unless those 4 are specifically the major tournaments ie. Australian Open, Wimbledon, Roland Garros and American Open.

I can see what your saying but why then would the League cup count in the quadruple everyone was banging on about but not count in a treble ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I can see what your saying but why then would the League cup count in the quadruple everyone was banging on about but not count in a treble ?

I'll give you a clue ;)

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    I'll give you a clue ;)

You don't get what I'm saying do you ?

If you don't count the carling cup in a treble why count it in a quadruple

For instance if you do "the double" does it have to be two certain trophies or is it only in a treble you have to get specific about the trophies

Because 3 plus one is 4. To complete the treble mentioned and then crown it with winning the only other competition entered would be the cherry on top.

Like I added above (you may have missed it and quoted before I made my edit).

A Golden Slam is all 4 tennis titles + Olympic Gold. If the player wins 3/4 tennis titles plus Olympic Gold then yeah s/he has won 4/5 tournaments BUT they still cant claim a Grand Slam since they missed one of the open titles nor can they claim a Golden Slam since its not 5/5. You cant just replace loosing Roland Garros with the Olympic Gold and call it a Grand Slam year.

The terms (at least in tennis) are tournament specific so a failure in one eliminates the ability to "claim" this term. I thought the same criteria applied for THE treble.

In terms of basic arithmetic a double a treble a quad etc. are possible but I was referring the "THE treble"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I think back in 99 teams took the Fa cup more serious than the league cup. Nowadays there is no difference between how teams approach both these cups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

For instance if you do "the double" does it have to be two certain trophies or is it only in a treble you have to get specific about the trophies

There really wasn't a whole lot to get. You're just ignoring his point for the case of semantics.

Unless of course that is you subscribe to the idea that the current Celtic side are the greatest ever in all of football considering they're about to do the "treble treble"?

next you'll say the League Cup, FA Cup, UEFA Cup is the most "treble" of them all? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Whenever Mourinho won the league cup, he counted it as a double from what i can remember.

FitzShane wrote: »
    Whenever Mourinho won the league cup, he counted it as a double from what i can remember.

Because a double refers to two, a treble refers to three, a quadruple refers to four etc.

Yourdeadwright originally mentioned City can do THE treble rather than A treble.

THE treble refers to the three elite tournaments, A treble just refers to three tournaments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

If City win the FA Cup after the league and league Cup they're well withing their rights to call it a treble, because its exactly that, a treble of trophies.

Kinda like in tennis a player can win 4 tournaments in a year and fair play to them but its not called a Grand Slam unless those 4 are specifically the major tournaments ie. Australian Open, Wimbledon, Roland Garros and American Open. (Upgraded to Golden Slam if they add an Olympic Gold medal that same year)

Most other European countries only have one cup competition. Just really leagues in England Scotland both leagues in Ireland and the French league have at least 2 cup competitions.

Grand slams also are different to the other ones for men at least as they have to win more sets per round to win.

FitzShane wrote: »

No he was going on about winning a treble as he also included the Community Shield

klose wrote: »
    If City win the FA Cup after the league and league Cup they're well withing their rights to call it a treble, because its exactly that, a treble of trophies.

You could say the league cup is getting bigger looking at the recent finals

A domestic treble or a continental one
    That's it really

A continental one is far superior

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

klose wrote: »

It should be referred to as the “English Treble” for clarity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

It should be referred to as the “English Treble” for clarity.

Domestic treble maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Lucas Hood wrote:
    Domestic treble maybe.

Either way it's still a good season anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

3 trophies is a treble, you can then debate what one is bigger. United's is obviously the biggest achievement.

United - League, FA Cup, Champions League
    Liverpool - League, League Cup, European Cup
    City - League (not yet), FA Cup (not yet), League Cup
    Liverpool - Uefa Cup, FA Cup, League Cup

That's in order best to least.

City's will be a domestic treble. (hasnt been done before I think?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Yeah it's called a domestic treble. All the available major trophies in your country.

Bayern won the domestic treble under Pep didn't they? I doubt their fans put that on the same level as the treble under Jupp Heynckes and its for good reason.

That said I think it's harder to do a domestic treble in England than Germany.

rob316 wrote: »
    3 trophies is a treble, you can then debate what one is bigger. United's is obviously the biggest achievement.

United - League, FA Cup, Champions League
    Liverpool - League, League Cup, European Cup
    City - League (not yet), FA Cup (not yet), League Cup
    Liverpool - Uefa Cup, FA Cup, League Cup

That's in order best to least.

City's will be a domestic treble. (hasnt been done before I think?)

Not been done in England but has been done in other countries.

• Advertisement
Advertisement