Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2018-19 Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Not been done in England but has been done in other countries.

Ya thats what I was wondering. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭jpboard1

Jaysus lads, I’d say ye are great craic on a night out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

jpboard1 wrote: »
    Jaysus lads, I’d say ye are great craic on a night out...

Depends on what doubles or trebles they're drinking.

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Depends on what doubles or trebles they're drinking.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The Double is the league and FA cup. Always was in the context of English clubs.
    The Treble is the league, FA cup and league cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Pedantic.

Adjective.

Excessively concerned with minor details or rules; overscrupulous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Arghus wrote: »
    Pedantic.

Adjective.

Eh, sorry there.....Arghus, is it? But....

Pedantic.

Adjective.

of or like a pedant.
    "many of the essays are long, dense, and too pedantic to hold great appeal"
    synonyms: overscrupulous, scrupulous, precise, exact, over-exacting, perfectionist, precisionist, punctilious, meticulous, fussy, fastidious, finical, finicky

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Arghus wrote: »
    Pedantic.

Adjective.

Agreed. People getting too hung up on words here. Can City win a treble. Obviously, we can. Hard to see winning three trophies in a single season (if we do it) as anything other than a "treble", really. Will it be as much of an achievement as utd's treble? Obviously, it isn't as it doesn't include the CL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treble_(association_football)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Crazy to think Sarri will likely finish 3rd in the league and get Champions League football for next season, lose a league cup final on penalties to City and then reach a Europa League semi final at worst and be hated by Chelsea fans and more than likely get sacked after one season at the club.

Football is mad at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Crazy to think Sarri will likely finish 3rd in the league and get Champions League football for next season, lose a league cup final on penalties to City and then reach a Europa League semi final at worst and be hated by Chelsea fans and more than likely get sacked after one season at the club.

Football is mad at times.
    They sacked Di Matteo a few months after he led them to the CL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Four of the top six teams in England contesting the European finals, not many would have predicted that at the start of the season. Must be a sickener for United fans, neither of their teams made it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

4 of the top 6 reach the European finals.

Manchester with the two richest clubs miss out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

With the conclusion of the title upcoming, this surely has to go down as one of the strongest most exciting weeks of football in history.

The only thing I could think to improve it would be a relegation battle, but you can't have it all I guess... :pac:

We were worried it would be too much excitement for you. Would affect your sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

incredible achievement providing 4 teams to Europe finals - the Premiership has its knockers here , but it really has always provided such entertainment - Leicester '16/ Aguero in '12/ Anfield this week / Arsenal at Anfield '89 / United '99 last few minutes / Totenham last night . it certainly provides high level entertainment

Only 1 season but you would wonder if the money in the Premier league is starting to tell.

Has it every happened before when 4 teams from 1 league have made the Champions league and Europa cup final?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Only 1 season but you would wonder if the money in the Premier league is starting to tell.

Has it every happened before when 4 teams from 1 league have made the Champions league and Europa cup final?

Nope, Spain have had 3 out of 4 at least a couple of times and won both, but never has one nation had all 4 finalists.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Nope, Spain have had 3 out of 4 at least a couple of times and won both, but never has one nation had all 4 finalists.

Its pretty crazy, when you think, spurs chelsea and arsenal (united also but not involved) have been struggling in the league of late

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

The biggest reasons for the English teams making this sort of progress imo is

- Barcelona have lost Xavi and Iniesta and it's an older team, Real have lost Ronaldo and it is also an older team. They've come back to the chasing pack along with the English teams getting better due to points two and three.
    - The managers at the top end of the PL are now some of/if not the best in the world with Pep raising the bar domestically to level it's never been at.
    - Money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Its pretty crazy, when you think, spurs chelsea and arsenal (united also but not involved) have been struggling in the league of late

It says a lot about the teams in Italy, Germany & Spain if anything. Most big club there aren't even at the level they were 12 months ago much less improved. Dortmund have improved but Bayern, Schalke, Atletico, Barca, Real, Sevilla, Juve, Napoli, Roma are either going backwards or need a LOT of work.
    In fairness Arsenal beat a few ok teams in the Europa but the teams Chelsea had to beat other than Frankfurt were absolutely rubbish but you can only beat who you draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Mad also that over 8 semi final games, Loftus Cheek was the sole English goalscorer in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Mad also that over 8 semi final games, Loftus Cheek was the sole English goalscorer in them.

the arrival of Cantona/Klinsman/ Gullit to the premiership had a huge impact in upping up the overall quality. Trailblaizers.

thebaz wrote: »
    the arrival of Cantona/Klinsman/ Gullit to the premiership had a huge impact in upping up the overall quality. Trailblaizers.

I know not an English manager between the sides either :)

Ferguson,Wenger, Mourinho. Trailblazers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I think back in 99 teams took the Fa cup more serious than the league cup.

And less serious than the Club World Championship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I wouldn’t be getting too carried away with the EPL. On Monday it looked very much unlikely either English team would make the final.

We all keep talking about how amazing it was that spurs and Liverpool got to the final, it wasn’t because they breezed past all on comers. Neither of those teams would win their second legs in that manner if they tried 100 times. It’s just one of those seasons.

If it happens for another 2 years then you can talk about it but considering how sh*t united have been and yet we are only a few points off 3rd I’d be very dubious of any claim about epl Superiority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

while what you say is true about the semi finals (although I believe they'd do it more than 2 times out of a hundred) I think there has been a decline in the European teams. The German sides were slaughtered by the UK teams this year, there's only Juve in Italy and RM / Barcelona are not the forces they were 3-4 years ago. That's not to say it won't reset but it needs resetting or the English sides will pull away.

A few years ago you could point to Spanish dominance and it wasn't just the big 2 but I think the difference here is the money is starting to have an effect.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I know of arsenal win the EL there will be 5 teams in the CL next season. Grand.

What happens to EL spots though? Does England get 3 still or lose one in this instance? If they lose one I assume it's the worst one, so 2 teams will still go straight through to groups?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Can’t remember the last time no Spanish side involved in either the champs league or Europa final in same season. Wouldn’t be saying yet if we in for EPL dominance for years to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

5starpool wrote: »
    I know of arsenal win the EL there will be 5 teams in the CL next season. Grand.

What happens to EL spots though? Does England get 3 still or lose one in this instance? If they lose one I assume it's the worst one, so 2 teams will still go straight through to groups?

I think Man Utd and 7th place assuming City win and the third slot is put back in the system for that team somewhere who's league position will be "first on the list" to take Arsenal's place.

5starpool wrote: »

Got laughed at in here when I said the tide was turning a couple of years ago. This season is the proof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Got laughed at in here when I said the tide was turning a couple of years ago. This season is the proof.

Ah here just about any opinion will be ridiculed in an online football forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

MaceFace wrote: »

Jesus United and Arsenal didn't even manage a goal a game against those sides!! That is a little surprising.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Jesus United and Arsenal didn't even manage a goal a game against those sides!! That is a little surprising.

Its goal difference, not goals scored.

Pter wrote: »
    Its goal difference, not goals scored.

Thanks for that. Thought it sounded odd :pac:

Thanks for that. Thought it sounded odd :pac:

It makes City & Pools numbers in that column all the more impressive, imo.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    while what you say is true about the semi finals (although I believe they'd do it more than 2 times out of a hundred) I think there has been a decline in the European teams. The German sides were slaughtered by the UK teams this year, there's only Juve in Italy and RM / Barcelona are not the forces they were 3-4 years ago. That's not to say it won't reset but it needs resetting or the English sides will pull away.

A few years ago you could point to Spanish dominance and it wasn't just the big 2 but I think the difference here is the money is starting to have an effect.

That’s the thing, I don’t think Madrid or Barca are what they were a few years ago. PSG were sucker punched by United. Ajax shocked Madrid and Juventus and while I’m not trying to take anything away from them there is a chance they were underestimated by both these euro giants after not winning their home legs and looking unlikely in second legs.

I think what’s happened moreso is the EPL teams have remained strong and other euro giants have regressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Drumpot wrote: »
    That’s the thing, I don’t think Madrid or Barca are what they were a few years ago. PSG were sucker punched by United. Ajax shocked Madrid and Juventus and while I’m not trying to take anything away from them there is a chance they were underestimated by both these euro giants after not winning their home legs and looking unlikely in second legs.

I think what’s happened moreso is the EPL teams have remained strong and other euro giants have regressed.

I don't think its money , teams in Spain still spend big,

I think the biggest factor was always Messi and Ronaldo

They are so good Madrid and Barcelona where basically playing with 12 men,

They glossed over the cracks,

Once Ronaldo left Madrid straight away teams are beating team who previously couldn't,

Messi in the last few year has lost his supporting cast first Xavi. Iniesta , Neymar and now the rest of the team is aging he can't do it on his own all the time , he did in the semi final first leg but needed help in the second

The English teams have all have really good mangers who have planned well and built up to where they are now,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Spurs only took 7 points from a possible 30 against top 6 sides. Pretty poor but still enough for top 4!

I wouldn’t be getting too carried away with the EPL. On Monday it looked very much unlikely either English team would make the final.

We all keep talking about how amazing it was that spurs and Liverpool got to the final, it wasn’t because they breezed past all on comers. Neither of those teams would win their second legs in that manner if they tried 100 times. It’s just one of those seasons.

If it happens for another 2 years then you can talk about it but considering how sh*t united have been and yet we are only a few points off 3rd I’d be very dubious of any claim about epl Superiority.

Second year in a row Barca chucked away a 3 goal lead but beat Man United along the way. So on the flipside does that confirm La Liga is finished as European force?

I wouldn't be taking games against Barca and Ajax over 180 mins the best sides went through.What wasn't in their hands a win for Napoli against Red Star and a goal for Inter against PSV and both were out at the group stage, finer margins indeed. In fact Barca could have denied Spurs themselves but let them off the hook as they'd already qualified.

• Advertisement

I don't think its money , teams in Spain still spend big,

I think the biggest factor was always Messi and Ronaldo

They are so good Madrid and Barcelona where basically playing with 12 men,

They glossed over the cracks,

Once Ronaldo left Madrid straight away teams are beating team who previously couldn't,

Messi in the last few year has lost his supporting cast first Xavi. Iniesta , Neymar and now the rest of the team is aging he can't do it on his own all the time , he did in the semi final first leg but needed help in the second

The English teams have all have really good mangers who have planned well and built up to where they are now,
    Second year in a row Barca chucked away a 3 goal lead but beat Man United along the way. So on the flipside does that confirm La Liga is finished as European force?

I wouldn't be taking games against Barca and Ajax over 180 mins the best sides went through.What wasn't in their hands a win for Napoli against Red Star and a goal for Inter against PSV and both were out at the group stage, finer margins indeed. In fact Barca could have denied Spurs themselves but let them off the hook as they'd already qualified.

Yeh I think Ronaldo and Messi certainly have papered over cracks. These guys are 50 goals a season players which is just not possible for any other team. It’s like they played with 12 men for nearly a decade.

I think we may see a shock and awe summer from the La Liga giants. I don’t think zidane comes back to Madrid without a massive warchest (500mil was what I imagined). I also think Barca clearly needs some new blood and will spend a few quid. I think both clubs have let their levels drop badly and need to do something drastic. Imagine Barca when Messi (and Suarez soon after) are gone!!!

Yeh I think Ronaldo and Messi certainly have papered over cracks. These guys are 50 goals a season players which is just not possible for any other team. It’s like they played with 12 men for nearly a decade.

I think we may see a shock and awe summer from the La Liga giants. I don’t think zidane comes back to Madrid without a massive warchest (500mil was what I imagined). I also think Barca clearly needs some new blood and will spend a few quid. I think both clubs have let their levels drop badly and need to do something drastic. Imagine Barca when Messi (and Suarez soon after) are gone!!!

Real could go for De Ligt, Pogba, Erkison and Hazard and still have change for a striker in 500m. Think they were linked to Jovic?

. Imagine Barca when Messi (and Suarez soon after) are gone!!![/QUOTE]

Madly Messi is young than Suarez , but I agree with your point ,

Real could go for De Ligt, Pogba, Erkison and Hazard and still have change for a striker in 500m. Think they were linked to Jovic?

Think Real already signed the CB off Porto,
    De light will go Barca or Bayern ,
    I think Hazard is a cert for Madrid

I think Madrid will also get Jovi who to me is the best young striker in Europe, he remind me so much of Aguero but with better link up play

I worry Barca will want another forward and our three will defo attract interest,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I worry Barca will want another forward and our three will defo attract interest,

Barca have to pay £100m on top of market value for any Liverpool players for another 2 seasons. You're looking at roughly a £200m transfer fee for any of the front 3 now really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Think Real already signed the CB off Porto,
    De light will go Barca or Bayern ,
    I think Hazard is a cert for Madrid

I think Madrid will also get Jovi who to me is the best young striker in Europe, he remind me so much of Aguero but with better link up play

Barca according to reports can't buy anyone from Liverpool for 3 years as part of the Countinho deal with Liverpool adding in a £100 million premium so to buy any off the front 3 they need to stump up £100 million 1st before even going near the fee for them which would be over £100 million on its own so that is at least £200 million and i just don't think Barca could afford that. Bobby would maybe have his head turned because he is from South America, but Barca would be priced out.

Barca according to reports can't buy anyone from Liverpool for 3 years as part of the Countinho deal with Liverpool adding in a £100 million premium so to buy any off the front 3 they need to stump up £100 million 1st before even going near the fee for them which would be over £100 million on its own so that is at least £200 million and i just don't think Barca could afford that. Bobby would maybe have his head turned because he is from South America, but Barca would be priced out.

Strangely out of the 3 I think Bobby will stay the longest,

Strangely out of the 3 I think Bobby will stay the longest,

Would be very surprised to see Bobby move while Klopp is there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

1 season isn't proof. It's an anonmally.

It needs to be consistent.

As per your post you said a couple of years ago. So lets see

Champions League:

2015/2016 Madrid V Athletico
    2016/2017 Madrid V Juve
    2017/2018 Madrid V Liverpool

4x Spain
    1xItalian
    1xEngland

Europa League:
    2015/2016 Sevilla V Liverpool
    2016/2017 Unted V Ajax
    2017/2018 Atletico V Marseille

2x Spain
    2x England
    1x France
    1x Dutch

So a total of:

6 Spain
    3 England
    1 Italy
    1 France
    1 Dutch

As history has proven this is only the 10th time ever both finalists are from the same country in both competitions so that's extremely rare.

Including this season gives it 6 Spain 7 England btw. So no it's not proof at all it's an absolute freak thing that happend.

Had all things not gone absolute mad would you be saying it's proven?a

Edit: Just saw this was PL Thread, apologies for off topic reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

1 season isn't proof. It's an anonmally.

It needs to be consistent.

As per your post you said a couple of years ago. So lets see

Champions League:

2015/2016 Madrid V Athletico
    2016/2017 Madrid V Juve
    2017/2018 Madrid V Liverpool

4x Spain
    1xItalian
    1xEngland

Europa League:
    2015/2016 Sevilla V Liverpool
    2016/2017 Unted V Ajax
    2017/2018 Atletico V Marseille

2x Spain
    2x England
    1x France

So a total of:

6 Spain
    2 England
    1 Italy
    1 France

As history has proven this is only the 10th time ever both finalists are from the same country in both competitions so that's extremely rare.

Including this season gives it 6 Spain 6 England btw. So no it's not proof at all it's an absolute freak thing that happend.

Had all things not gone absolute mad would you be saying it's proven?a

Edit: Just saw this was PL Thread, apologies for off topic reply.

Go again Ajax are pissed off

Advertisement