Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2018-19 Part 2

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Any chance their can be a thread for Man Utd and Liverpool fans only and the rest of us can read and post our views on a thread that is not getting ruined by them every few pages?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Any chance their can be a thread for Man Utd and Liverpool fans only and the rest of us can read and post our views on a thread that is not getting ruined by them every few pages?

The discussion here actually seems quite civil or am I missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Just keep subdividing the threads.

Have one where people can just post about how Liverpool and United fans are ruining threads.

Another one where LoI fans can just post about Irish fans supporting Liverpool and United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

So while there is a grand discussion going on about the POTY and Wolves, you decide to derail the thread posting this nonsense.

Great stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised if Wolves invest heavily and try challenge for Top 4 next season.

Where are they in financial terms? Was reading an article on them a while back and they were losing £1m a week in the championship last season. Guessing the money they've earned this season will cover that but are they in a position to invest heavily? Would have thought that someone like Everton would be a better shout to make a burst for the top four. They seem to have gotten their house in order lately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Berserker wrote: »
    Would have thought that someone like Everton would be a better shout to make a burst for top four. They seem to have gotten their house in order lately.

That's what they want you to think. Trust me will balls it up.

The majorly promising thing from an Everton perspective is that we got results against top 6 this year which is usually extremely rare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Where are they in financial terms? Was reading an article on them a while back and they were losing £1m a week in the championship last season. Guessing the money they've earned this season will cover that but are they in a position to invest heavily? Would have thought that someone like Everton would be a better shout to make a burst for the top four. They seem to have gotten their house in order lately.

The owner is worth over 4bn so I don't think money will be an issue.

That's what they want you to think. Trust me will balls it up.

The majorly promising thing from an Everton perspective is that we got results against top 6 this year which is usually extremely rare.

What would you think of adding Mitrovic to your team? Fulham cousins of mine, season ticket holders, were saying that you and West Ham are looking to buy him at the end of the season. They want him to stay for their promotion push next season, naturally.

What would you think of adding Mitrovic to your team? Fulham cousins of mine, season ticket holders, were saying that you and West Ham are looking to buy him at the end of the season. They want him to stay for their promotion push next season, naturally.

Funny you mention that as I was just speaking to someone yesterday saying I'd like Mitrovic at Everton.

Proven premier league goalscorer has a dirty streak in him with yellow cards his only downfall.

I imagine he'd be 20M or so also which would be decent in todays market

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I was surprised when Chelsea didnt take a gamble on Mitrovic when Newcastle sold him.

Hes a decent player to have as an option and hes still 24 although I cant imagine him settling for a rotation role.

Would certainly bring a bit of fight we've not had since Costa or Drogba before him but hes a bit unrefined and I dont know if Sarri would want a big lump like Mitrovic up top, flipside is, we're not exactly blessed with CFs at the moment, with all 5 of the CFs we own being of varying standards and none of them looking like getting 15-20 PL goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭jpboard1

Salah had such an insane season last year that it feels like this season has been a relative disappointment even though by any regular metric he's had a very good season.

Absolutely. He is just as good as the rest this year whereas last year he was twice as good.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    The owner is worth over 4bn so I don't think money will be an issue.

When you consider the city owners have spent a billion so far on their project that puts it in context. Can't see anyone dumping a quarter of their wealth into a plaything

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Funny you mention that as I was just speaking to someone yesterday saying I'd like Mitrovic at Everton.

Proven premier league goalscorer has a dirty streak in him with yellow cards his only downfall.

I imagine he'd be 20M or so also which would be decent in todays market

Moreno, Sturridge and Mignolet available too if you fancy it.

5starpool wrote: »

We're bad, not that bad :pac:

We're bad, not that bad :pac:

Always wondered why they didn't convert Moreno into a winger. He is a class attacker just not great on the defensive side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Because his final product is and always has been horrific, like everything else in his game, he can't shoot and his crossing is woeful. He scored three goals when he was a regular with us. Three. He's a very fast headless chicken.

.G. wrote: »
    Three. He's a very fast headless chicken.

How many games?

How many games?

He got them in his first 2 seasons when he was a regular, 60 league games.

He got them in his first 2 seasons when he was a regular, 60 league games.

I would have thought for a full back it's ok. Obviously he can't defend for sh1te but in terms of goals, how many is anyone expecting from a full back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Yeah Robertson has 1 in his 54 games for Liverpool apparently. Goals wouldn’t be what I’d hold against Moreno. It’s everything else he can’t do that he should

• Advertisement

I would have thought for a full back it's ok. Obviously he can't defend for sh1te but in terms of goals, how many is anyone expecting from a full back?

Its not the goals for a fullback really, the comment above mine said he's a class attacker which he really really isn't. Robbo and Trent show exactly what a class attacking full back can offer. Moreno has none of their qualities, except running and can't defend either.

I really don't see what he'd offer as a winger yet its mentioned so often. He's like Adama Traore, all speed and no brain or ability of note:D

Mad the links with Barca for him. Can't work it out.

Its not the goals for a fullback really, the comment above mine said he's a class attacker which he really really isn't. Robbo and Trent show exactly what a class attacking full back can offer. Moreno has none of their qualities, except running and can't defend either.

I really don't see what he'd offer as a winger yet its mentioned so often. He's like Adama Traore, all speed and no brain or ability of note:D

Mad the links with Barca for him. Can't work it out.

I remember watching Adams Troare at Boro. Thinking Jesus this kid looks unbelievable at times. Then he gets to the byline an turns into Aidan Mcgeady

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I remember watching Adams Troare at Boro. Thinking Jesus this kid looks unbelievable at times. Then he gets to the byline an turns into Aidan Mcgeady

Mcgeady having a lethal few year.

League 1 team of the year.!

If you lads think Shaw is a liability...well Christ... Moreno would be an eye opener

Give Eddie Howe a call. He'll probably give you £50m for the three of them. What's happening to Markovic? Is he gone, gone or did he go on loan? Has only played once for Fulham. Think they have him out cutting the grass in Bishops Park at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Give Eddie Howe a call. He'll probably give you £50m for the three of them. What's happening to Markovic? Is he gone, gone or did he go on loan? Has only played once for Fulham. Think they have him out cutting the grass in Bishops Park at the moment.

He joined them on a free.

Holy forking schnit , hes only just turned 25. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Ranieri bought him.
    Then got sacked.
    Scott "scotty" parker has gone back to picking the lads that got them promoted

Eddie does love playing loads for crap Liverpool players alright. Good lad, Eddie.

Thankfully the Markovoc adventure is at an end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Best team in PL history seems to be gaining a good bit of traction, Liverpool fans in particular seem keen to push this line.

Hard to see how this City team are better than United 07-10, champions league is the litmus test and Pep has failed on this front yet again. He has done well masterminding drubbings of teams 6-20 in the PL though, I’ll give him that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Best team in PL history seems to be gaining a good bit of traction, Liverpool fans in particular seem keen to push this line.

Hard to see how this City team are better than United 07-10, champions league is the litmus test and Pep has failed on this front yet again. He has done well masterminding drubbings of teams 6-20 in the PL though, I’ll give him that.

Is the Champions League a part of the Premier League? No it's a separate competition.
    They have also beaten the rest of the top 6, 8 wins from 10 & are the only side who did beat the 5 others in the top 6 this season.
    If they get 98 points to retain it up against a side that might get 97, after getting 100 points last season they are certainly in the discussion. Whether you can just accept that is another matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

ERG89 wrote: »
    Is the Champions League a part of the Premier League? No it's a separate competition.

The litmus test that involved beating Chelsea on penalties.

If champions league is the litmus test then Liverpool are the best team in England the last couple of seasons.

In the real world though, saying that a team that had dropped 30 points over 2 seasons isn't the best team in Premier league history (over a 2 year period) is blatantly biased and bitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Much much harder to win the EPL than the Champions League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Quazzie wrote: »

Is that why Arsenal have never won the CL?

Man City are on course to drop just 30 points in 2 seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Considering its the premier league and has nothing to do with Europe, its hard to argue against them been the best PL team ever. 198 points in 2 seasons is ridiculous.

They walked the league last season due to a weak challenge from United, this season they met a team as good but withstood the pressure and will finish shy of 100 points again. They are brilliant to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Quazzie wrote: »

That just doesn't add up. If its easier to win the CL then why have there only been 4 English winners in the last 28 years of PL.

Is that why Arsenal have never won the CL?

No. Arsenal have never won it because Wenger was never able to make the team work for one off occasions consistently. Wenger was good at finding a level and playing in it. The Champions League requires team, who can play under pressure, and up there game for one off occasions. Arsenal couldn't do this under Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

AdamD wrote: »
    That just doesn't add up. If its easier to win the CL then why have there only been 4 English winners in the last 28 years of PL.

There's more English teams in the Premier League so they'll always win that one more.

AdamD wrote: »

It's much harder to win the EPL. You have to be on your game every single week, sometimes twice a week. In the UCL you can go missing for months a time and still win it as long as you turn up in the latter stages.

Injuries to your best players can have a massive difference on how your EPL season goes, whereas this is much less an issue in the UCL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

rob316 wrote: »
    Considering its the premier league and has nothing to do with Europe, its hard to argue against them been the best PL team ever. 198 points in 2 seasons is ridiculous.

The points total City have accumulated to date in the last two seasons is 189 (PPG - 2.59)

Compare that to the last three seasons for the other teams

United - 214 (PPG - 1.93)
    Spurs - 233 (PPG - 2.09)
    Chelsea - 230 (PPG - 2.07)
    Liverpool - 239 (PPG - 2.15)

That's a serious haul in fairness and if we include Cities third 3 year it looks like this

City - 267 (PPG - 2.41).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

gimli2112 wrote: »
    There's more English teams in the Premier League so they'll always win that one more.

Teams not in the CL aren't winning the PL. This is a ridiculous argument. English teams find it far more difficult to win the CL than PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

ERG89 wrote: »
    They have also beaten the rest of the top 6, 8 wins from 10 & are the only side who did beat the 5 others in the top 6 this season.
    If they get 98 points to retain it up against a side that might get 97, after getting 100 points last season they are certainly in the discussion. Whether you can just accept that is another matter.

I think it’s fair that city or Liverpool are in the discussion of course but winning a treble (like 1999) or champions league/league double raises the quality IMO. That is, you can’t speak of the best team winning the league based on just their league results. Personally I think United’s treble of 1999 is the best of all, there is a reason why even top quality sides of the past have failed to match this feat!

Liverpool can actually do both which is remarkable considering I wouldn’t of considered their squad strong enough. Juggling those two competitions is a quality in itself, particularly when you are in a battle for top spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

The treble winning utd team dropped 35 points in the 98/99 PL season. City and Liverpool combined have dropped 33 points this year.

The treble winning utd team dropped 35 points in the 98/99 PL season. City and Liverpool combined have dropped 33 points this year.

The energy it takes to win 3 competitions is different to that of winning one. You can argue the points tally but that’s just one factor. How many teams have won the treble? Something so rare is such for a reason.

This will be a debate of people who’s opinions will be very heavily influenced by their personal leanings more then objective analysis, mine included.

Drumpot wrote: »
    The energy it takes to win 3 competitions is different to that of winning one. You can argue the points tally but that’s just one factor. How many teams have won the treble? Something so rare is such for a reason.

This will be a debate of people who’s opinions will be very heavily influenced by their personal leanings more then objective analysis, mine included.

What do you count as a treble?

Liverpool have won 2 trebles ie winning 3 trophies in one season.
    84 - League, European Cup and League Cup
    01 - FA Cup, UEFA Cup and League Cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

AdamD wrote:
    Teams not in the CL aren't winning the PL. This is a ridiculous argument. English teams find it far more difficult to win the CL than PL.

It would be a turnup for the books if a PL team didn't win the PL though.

Drumpot wrote: »

City are likely to win the domestic treble this season. Does that not count?

Guess it only counts if it can match what Man Utd have done.

Derry City have done the domestic treble :D

It counts but you still weigh up a league cup v champions league. If you think it’s the same there’s not much point in debating it. Id rather win the treble like 99 then the domestic treble with loads of league points, I also think that’s a harder target when you factor in that no team Mickey mouses the CL like most top teams do the league and FA Cup till the later rounds.

I would assume the league is a lot harder to win now than back in 99. So the likelihood of a treble with CL is going to be very rare.

• Advertisement
Advertisement