Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2018-19 Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Being a City fan you can't say anything about football teams spending money.

Being a Phil Coulson fan you should be used to beloved characters meeting their demise in heroic fashion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Mr.H wrote: »
    And they are the ones obsessed?

Congrates on winning the league......

Well sir we aren't in the race and are finished etc so I've no clue why you and the usual others are still talking about us. Liverpool where winning the league for a minute and where relevant for me to discuss. However they didn't win.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

City deserved to win the league because they got more points, simple as that.

I wonder is 25 points the biggest gap ever in the top flight between 2 consecutively placed teams (Liverpool and Chelsea in this case)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

5starpool wrote: »
    City deserved to win the league because they got more points, simple as that.

I wonder is 25 points the biggest gap ever in the top flight between 2 consecutively placed teams (Liverpool and Chelsea in this case)?

Derby finished 24 points behind Birmingham the year that they were abysmal in the league.

In short I'm not sure, but that one came instantly to mind so I looked it up and it was close

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

There should be a trophy for it if so.

Adamcp898 wrote: »

It's not the FAI

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Being a Phil Coulson fan you should be used to beloved characters meeting their demise in heroic fashion.

At least you admit the effort was heroic pal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

😂

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

2TSwH.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Liamalone wrote: »
    The same dude that beat up his girlfriend lol

That case was thrown out and anyway He was a liverpool player then. He'd have been thought how to conduct himself properly when he signed for City. Carragher probably mentored him at anfield.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Why should there be a trophy for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Absolutely delighted with City winning. Delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Pretty incredible to get the third highest points total in Premier league history and not win the league.
    Congrats Liverpool on a great season to this point. It'll be a pretty special one if you add the ECL title.
    City had 100 points last season and just two less this season which is pretty phenomenal. Guardiola is a great coach and with the money he has at City it's only a matter of time before he wins the ECL.
    It's hard to see anybody else getting anywhere close to these two teams next season.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Pretty incredible to get the third highest points total in Premier league history and not win the league.
    Congrats Liverpool on a great season to this point. It'll be a pretty special one if you add the ECL title.
    City had 100 points last season and just two less this season which is pretty phenomenal. Guardiola is a great coach and with the money he has at City it's only a matter of time before he wins the ECL.
    It's hard to see anybody else getting anywhere close to these two teams next season.

I think Spurs can if they finally start signing players.

I think the top 2 and Spurs all have elite managers capable of challenging. I'm still amazed United chose Solksjaer over Pochettino

8-10 wrote: »
    I think Spurs can if they finally start signing players.

I think the top 2 and Spurs all have elite managers capable of challenging. I'm still amazed United chose Solksjaer over Pochettino

Spurs do not have an elite manager. They lost 13 league games this season, 20 all told and finished 4th in the league. The champions league is not a true measure of any given managers greatness; it’s a cup competition and ordinary teams and managers often make it to the final and even win it ala Chelsea 2012, Porto 04, Liverpool 05, Abram Grant, Di Mateo etc.

When he wins the league and consistently challenges at the top, then he’ll be an elite manager. Before that then he’s in with the rest of ‘em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

City are incredible best team in Prwm history 100 points followed by 98 is insane , Also i cant recall them ever needing a winmer in the last 10 minutes most if not all there wins where with ease ,
    Liverpool done amazing to get 97 but itll be tuff to match again ,

Spurs will improve new home and finally siging people

Chelsea = who knowz what will happen if Hazard leabe tje could drop out of the top 5

Arsenal = very intresting to see how there summer goes , feel there not that far away from being a good side

United = Ope to be sacked by december jnothing to date has shown he is capable , once the Jose lut bounce left the players he was exposed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Anyone under 40 probably has no recollection of Liverpool winning the league. Mad stuff as when I was a kid they used to win it nearly every season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Anyone under 40 probably has no recollection of Liverpool winning the league. Mad stuff as when I was a kid they used to win it nearly every season!

39 here and the oldest memory I have is losing that play off match against Arsenal. Some faint memories of an Everton cup final a few earlier but nothing solid at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Spurs did pretty well for a side that signed no one. They will surely improve though Poch could yet leave.

The mid table sides are all well resourced and have the potential to elbow whichever of the also rans do not get thier act together.

• Advertisement

Garzorico wrote: »
    Spurs do not have an elite manager. They lost 13 league games this season, 20 all told and finished 4th in the league. The champions league is not a true measure of any given managers greatness; it’s a cup competition and ordinary teams and managers often make it to the final and even win it ala Chelsea 2012, Porto 04, Liverpool 05, Abram Grant, Di Mateo etc.

When he wins the league and consistently challenges at the top, then he’ll be an elite manager. Before that then he’s in with the rest of ‘em.

Nonsense. He achieved a top four finish and a CL final without signing a single player, whilst having absences to key players, and without his natural home ground for the majority of the season. Delusional to describe that as anything other than outstanding management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

39 here and the oldest memory I have is losing that play off match against Arsenal. Some faint memories of an Everton cup final a few earlier but nothing solid at all.
    I remember this season well, Hard to believe its 42 years ago now. ;)
    The final table is worth a peep.

It wasn't a play off...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

https://twitter.com/paddypower/status/1127641414756642817?s=19

If that's true, that's a nice return on a fiver!

Nonsense. He achieved a top four finish and a CL final without signing a single player, whilst having absences to key players, and without his natural home ground for the majority of the season. Delusional to describe that as anything other than outstanding management.

Outstanding management does not loose 13 league games. I’m sure a few of them were away.

Outstanding management does not loose 13 league games. I’m sure a few of them were away.

His hands were tied by the issues mentioned. He ended the quadruple dream of one of the PL's best ever sides over two legs without his talismanic striker and you don't think that's outstanding?

There's more to being elite than simply winning a title. Pellegrini and Mancini won titles but I doubt many would take them at their clubs over Pochettino.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Barca or PSG would take Poch tomorrow if they could imo. That's all that needs to be said

His hands were tied by the issues mentioned. He ended the quadruple dream of one of the PL's best ever sides over two legs without his talismanic striker and you don't think that's outstanding?

There's more to being elite than simply winning a title. Pellegrini and Mancini won titles but I doubt many would take them at their clubs over Pochettino.

Elite suggests they are a cut above - managers are a cut above by winning trophies or challenging for the league ergo Pochettino isn’t an elite manager.

RasTa wrote: »
    Barca or PSG would take Poch tomorrow if they could imo. That's all that needs to be said

I think he’s a good manager but he’s hardly elite. Why is he still at Tottenham so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

ozzy jr wrote: »

There no way your Jr stands for Junior then :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I think he’s a good manager but he’s hardly elite. Why is he still at Tottenham so?

Loyalty. It's rare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Spurs done really well considering they didn't sign any players and they had so many players in the last 4 of the world cup ie no real pre season.

Factor in the change stadium too.

Pochettino is one game away from winning more than Klopp won this season, and Spurs are one game away from achieving more then Liverpool this season.

Which is not to denigrate Klopp or his side...but let's not dismiss Pochettino or Spurs just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Someone do the ladder table Citytillidie

Stolen from twitter :D

98 City
    97 Liverpool
    96 You
    95 Have
    94 To
    93 Feel
    92 Sorry
    91 For
    90 Jurgen
    89 Klopp
    88 But
    87 Pep
    86 Guardiola
    85 And
    84 His
    83 Team
    82 Have
    81 Been
    80 Incredible
    79 Where
    78 Is
    77 The
    76 Rest
    75 Oh
    74 Look
    73 It's
    72 Chelsea
    71 Spurs
    70 Arsenal
    69 And
    68 Then
    67 There's
    66 Utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Elite suggests they are a cut above - managers are a cut above by winning trophies or challenging for the league ergo Pochettino isn’t an elite manager.

There's definitely something special about him, he's probably a level below Klopp but could change that in a few weeks.
    He's done exceptionally well with Spurs given the budget and we've all seen the sides with the biggest budgets win stuff, he hasn't been given that.

Loyalty. It's rare.

They are professionals and only loyal to the €.

Pochettino is one game away from winning more than Klopp won this season, and Spurs are one game away from achieving more then Liverpool this season.

Which is not to denigrate Klopp or his side...but let's not dismiss Pochettino or Spurs just yet.

Nobody is. He’s a good manager no doubt but he’s hardly elite...yet. Lots of things in football are described elite and amazing these days where in reality they are just very good.

This would be a glorious reality tbh
    Fingers crossed

Nobody is. He’s a good manager no doubt but he’s hardly elite...yet. Lots of things in football are described elite and amazing these days where in reality they are just very good.

By elite I mean in the top tier, I’d say he’s top 10 in Europe, ahead of managers like Tuchel or Erik ten Hag for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

This would be a glorious reality tbh
    Fingers crossed

Would bottle be this year's emotional?

Well if Spurs win the CL, he'd have an argument be included in a list of the top 2 managers in England.

If that's not elite to you, you have higher expectations than me.

• Advertisement

"We made them win 14 in a row"

Oh, did you now? Because you didn't do jack **** last year and they finished with even more points.

Smacks of grasping for relevancy like a certain cohort are fond of accusing United fans as being guilty of ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

The usual clutching at straws gang are in tonight i see lmfao :D

Can we close the debate of greatest Prem team , 198 points in two seasons is mental

Can we close the debate of greatest Prem team , 198 points in two seasons is mental

Sorry, we closed it in '99. Who knew we'd ever need to reopen it, huh.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Agreed just phenomenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Best English league team we’ve ever seen, definitely. The Invincibles had an incredible season, but this level of production and consistency over 24 months in the league has never been seen before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Can't really see the top 2 changing next season.

Spurs are the unknown, talk of poch moving on, they need to spend to compete for the title.

Chelsea - no way, transfer ban, probably lose hazard. Not sure players believe in Sarri.

Arsenal - lethal up front, need a whole new defence though and questionable the owners will spend.

United - rebuild back to front, questions about managers ability.

Liverpool best set up to challenge city again but city are so strong and will undoubtedly strengthen again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

"We made them win 14 in a row"

Oh, did you now? Because you didn't do jack **** last year and they finished with even more points.

Smacks of grasping for relevancy like a certain cohort are fond of accusing United fans as being guilty of ;)

What in the sweet name of jaysis are you talking about. :pac::pac::pac: Don't be worrying about Liverpool, we're not grasping at anything. We've had a great league campaign, we've got a European Cup final to look forward to in three weeks and plenty to look forward to under Klopp.

Honestly, you lads think we're all sitting round now in tears of misery and so think you are gloryifing in our league campaign 'disappointment'. Man U fans celebrating a City title win while their own club goes to sh!te. Honestly boys, have a day off. :pac::pac::D:D

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Best English league team we’ve ever seen, definitely. The Invincibles had an incredible season, but this level of production and consistency over 24 months in the league has never been seen before.

Most likely also do the first ever domestic Treble

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Was the debate between the Arsenal unbeaten team and the current city team?

Advertisement