Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2018-19 Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Can we close the debate of greatest Prem team , 198 points in two seasons is mental

Consistency is great, but if there were a four way tournament between the Invincibles, Mourinhos 2004/5 Chelsea team, either of the 1999 or 2008 United sides, and then also this City side, I think I would be very hard pressed to put any money on City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Can we close the debate of greatest Prem team , 198 points in two seasons is mental

It's absolutely outrageous stuff and I'm in no doubt that they'll get 95-100 points again next season. Was convinced all season that Liverpool would win all their games and the title but hats off to City for an incredible second half to the season. I've never believed that any team could go through that run of games winning them all but they did it and they proved me wrong. Has to be the best side ever in PL history, if they get three in a row with 95 pts or more again next season. I can't see past them.

Liverpool had the look and luck of champions for most of the season, so you have to feel for them. Suppose they have the CL final to look forward to, so they can put this behind them pretty quickly. Massive game coming up on June 1st for both clubs. Burst out laughing and nearly crashed the car when I heard Cardiff beat United. Jesus wept!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

monkey9 wrote: »
    What in the sweet name of jaysis are you talking about. :pac::pac::pac: Don't be worrying about Liverpool, we're not grasping at anything. We've had a great league campaign, we've got a European Cup final to look forward to in three weeks and plenty to look forward to under Klopp.

Honestly, you lads think we're all sitting round now in tears of misery and so think you are gloryifing in our league campaign 'disappointment'. Man U fans celebrating a City title win while their own club goes to sh!te. Honestly boys, have a day off. :pac::pac::D:D

Well, I thought it was obvious but, I was drawing a comparison between the comments Liverpool fans were throwing United's way a few weeks back about affecting who could win the league, and, now the self-aggrandising statements we're seeing from the same group of fans today :)

The best team won it over 38 games and I can't argue with it. Some good sides came to Old Trafford this year and beat us, it's as simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Well, I thought it was obvious but, I was drawing a comparison between the comments Liverpool fans were throwing United's way a few weeks back about affecting who could win the league, and, now the self-aggrandising statements we're seeing from the same group of fans today :)

The best team won it over 38 games and I can't argue with it. Some good sides came to Old Trafford this year and beat us, it's as simple as that.

City did all the chasing, at times still 7 and 4 points behind. They never panicked even when liverpool would win.

Dont mind liverpool fans who say they are greatest League side ever, not sure older generation liverpool fans would agree, but 198 points in 2 seasons is since going and they have a case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Man U fans celebrating a City title win while their own club goes to sh!te. Honestly boys, have a day off. :pac::pac::D:D

Not much different to Liverpool fans celebrating in 2012 when United lost the title thanks to the Aguero goal. Have a look where Liverpool finished that season:

Picture-43.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Not much different to Liverpool fans celebrating in 2012 when United lost the title thanks to the Aguero goal. Have a look where Liverpool finished that season:

Picture-43.png

Bar 13/14 this illustrates the job Klopp has done.

It has been an incredible job with progression each year.

Think the next few years will be between Man City & Liverpool depending on how Spurs invest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Here's Jonny! Very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

They did, Man City deserve the title.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

MD1990 wrote: »

Think the next few years will be between Man City & Liverpool depending on how Spurs invest.

If Liverpool don't win the CL, 'questions' will be asked by the enlightened here. If they do win it, I'm sure focus will switch to something like 'what has he won in England'.

The simple response is that 99.9% of Liverpool fans are delighted to have Klopp as manager, and even if we don't win the CL this season again, while bitterly disappointed, will still be delighted to have Klopp in charge.

What fans of other clubs think they are obviously entitled to say, even if it's clear they don't actually believe what they say, but ultimately, neither I nor most other Liverpool fans give a rats arse of anyone says he's a failure.

Picture-43.png

Ah it is different. It'd be like me celebrating Everton winning the league and being happy about it and this is where Man U are right now, glorifying in their neighbours title triumph.

I get Man U fans don't want Liverpool winning things, of course i do. I just find it funny that Man U fans have had a great day today and honestly, i feel you's are trying to put a sense of misery upon Liverpool fans that simply isn't there.

I like the place Man U fans and their club are in right now. I like that they're pretending to themselves that today was a good day to mask what's going on in their own club.

I like this video. https://twitter.com/ManUnitedZone_/status/1127624111851810816

• Advertisement

Ah it is different. It'd be like me celebrating Everton winning the league and being happy about it and this is where Man U are right now, glorifying in their neighbours title triumph.

I get Man U fans don't want Liverpool winning things, of course i do. I just find it funny that Man U fans have had a great day today and honestly, i feel you's are trying to put a sense of misery upon Liverpool fans that simply isn't there.

I like the place Man U fans and their club are in right now. I like that they're pretending to themselves that today was a good day to mask what's going on in their own club.

Yeah I'm sure you weren't celebrating United narrowly missing out in 2012 back when Liverpool were having an even worse season than United have had this season.

*Cough, cough*

;)

What's your goal of the season? MOTD voting on now.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/live/football/48231258

Think I'd go with Townsend's strike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Kompany v Leicester, for what it meant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

What's your goal of the season? MOTD voting on now. Think I'd go with Townsend's strike.

That or the Kompany strike v Leicester, given the importance of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Yeah I'm sure you weren't celebrating United narrowly missing out in 2012 back when Liverpool were having an even worse season than United have had this season.

*Cough, cough*

;)

Unless Everton won the league in 2012 I'm not sure you've really understood monkey9's point?

*Cough, cough*

;)

I'm not quite sure what your point is. Of course i was celebrating, it was wonderful. I don't have a problem with City at all. If the title race was between City and Man U next year, i'd be City all the way.

The fact that Man U fans are cheering on Man City is what i find funny. That this is the position they find themselves in now is very satisfying.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Best English league team we’ve ever seen, definitely. The Invincibles had an incredible season, but this level of production and consistency over 24 months in the league has never been seen before.

Sure Lloyd, go for it, they are the best PL team ever. That both 1) helps you sleep better, and 2) takes absolutely nothing away from the multiple league titles I celebrated as a boy, adolescent and man supporting Manchester United.
    Well, I thought it was obvious but, I was drawing a comparison between the comments Liverpool fans were throwing United's way a few weeks back about affecting who could win the league, and, now the self-aggrandising statements we're seeing from the same group of fans today smile.png

If only. Some really poor sides came to Old Trafford and beat us too, under two different managers. That's kind of our predicament :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Garzorico

MD1990 wrote: »

Re the progression while I agree he started at a low base in fairness.

Sure Lloyd, go for it, they are the best PL team ever. That both 1) helps you sleep better, and 2) takes absolutely nothing away from the multiple league titles I celebrated as a boy, adolescent and man supporting Manchester United.

You're living in the past. :pac:

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Unless Everton won the league in 2012 I'm not sure you've really understood the lads' position?

His original position was "Man U fans celebrating a City title win while their own club goes to sh!te. Honestly boys, have a day off."

My retort is that if it's good enough for Liverpool fans whose side finished 8th - behind Everton incidentally - and 37 points off the pace, to revel in United's misery, then it's hypocritical to complain when United fans, whose side finished 6th and 32 points off the pace, do likewise.
    monkey9 wrote:
    The fact that Man U fans are cheering on Man City is what i find funny. That this is the position they find themselves in now is very satisfying.

No different to Madrid fans cheering on Atletico rather than wanting Barca to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Unless Everton won the league in 2012 I'm not sure you've really understood monkey9's point?

Unless monkey is from Liverpool he has no point.

Damn, that Lerma goal for Bournemouth. :eek:

Can anyone find the seasons predictions thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Can anyone find the seasons predictions thread?

Link in post one of this thread..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,924 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Strange to see a Man U manager admit that Man U can really only chase and challenge for 5th or 4th next season.

Really setting the expectations there..

Wonder if Klopp is planning on keeping Origi next season. He would be a decent replacement at Palace for his compatriot Batshuayi if Chelsea end up recalling him.

Strange to see a Man U manager admit that Man U can really only chase and challenge for 5th or 4th next season.

Really setting the expectations there..

Didn't Hodgson say something similar when we was in charge of Liverpool? Jaysus :(

astradave wrote: »
    Link in post one of this thread..

Sorry should have been clearer - the general predictions not league finish - stuff like best newcomer, biggest flop etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Wonder if Klopp is planning on keeping Origi next season. He would be a decent replacement at Palace for his compatriot Batshuayi if Chelsea end up recalling him.

The usual Liverpool journos were saying they want to start talks over a new contract, hope he stays he certainly adds an extra style to our play when called upon but wouldn't be surprised to see him wanting to move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I’ll sleep just fine either way!

I don’t really care what the reality ‘takes away’ from anyone. Wenger’s Invincibles obviously had the single greatest league campaign, but I feel 198 points across two seasons eclipses that. It’s just insane levels of consistency.

It’s hardly a controversial opinion, and one I’m sure sports writers will start ramming home from tomorrow morning on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Someone do the ladder table Citytillidie

Sorry been out in the pub all day will get the excel table done tomorrow.

Just having a laugh at united fans who have turned into the noisy neighbours now and they are loving it by the looks of it.

I hope Liverpool who finished 2nd have a big drop off like the team who finished 2nd last season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

*Cough, cough*

;)

Ah dont make him stop. Its epic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

5starpool wrote: »
    If Liverpool don't win the CL, 'questions' will be asked by the enlightened here. If they do win it, I'm sure focus will switch to something like 'what has he won in England'.

The simple response is that 99.9% of Liverpool fans are delighted to have Klopp as manager, and even if we don't win the CL this season again, while bitterly disappointed, will still be delighted to have Klopp in charge.

What fans of other clubs think they are obviously entitled to say, even if it's clear they don't actually believe what they say, but ultimately, neither I nor most other Liverpool fans give a rats arse of anyone says he's a failure.

Tbf ye seem far more happy about United than anything concerning your own club. Ye'll be just as happy now whether ye win or loose CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Sorry should have been clearer - the general predictions not league finish - stuff like best newcomer, biggest flop etc.

Ah right.. here ya go

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057895097/1/#post107610159

His original position was "Man U fans celebrating a City title win while their own club goes to sh!te. Honestly boys, have a day off."

My retort is that if it's good enough for Liverpool fans whose side finished 8th - behind Everton incidentally - and 37 points off the pace, to revel in United's misery, then it's hypocritical to complain when United fans, whose side finished 6th and 32 points off the pace, do likewise.

No different to Madrid fans cheering on Atletico rather than wanting Barca to win.

Yeah i like where you's are now, celebrating a Man City title win. I like that that is where Man U fans are getting their kicks these days. I'd much rather them being happy about that rather than their own team winning the league.

As i say, it'd be like me embracing an Everton title win, i never want to be in that position.

• Advertisement

Unless monkey is from Liverpool he has no point.

And why have i no point?

Yeah i like where you's are now, celebrating a Man City title win. I like that that is where Man U fans are getting their kicks these days. I'd much rather them being happy about that rather than their own team winning the league.

As i say, it'd be like me embracing an Everton title win, i never want to be in that position.

I like the fact that I've seen the team I support win the title many, many times but to each their own I suppose.

I like the fact that I've seen the team I support win the title many, many times but to each their own I suppose.

Utd have an impressive history, no doubt.

I'd absolutely be offering Origi a new contract, whether he'd be happy playing the role of back up to the front three is another thing. He's surprised me so much the way he's come on this year.

He was out the door a few months ago but we couldn't get rid. His loan move to Wolfsburg was a failure in the end, the turnaround is incredible.

Ah dont make him stop. Its epic.

"Its epic" :D:D

• Advertisement

I'd absolutely be offering Origi a new contract, whether he'd be happy playing the role of back up to the front three is another thing. He's surprised me so much the way he's come on this year.

He was out the door a few months ago but we couldn't get rid. His loan move to Wolfsburg was a failure in the end, the turnaround is incredible.

If Sturridge is moving on I'd say he'd be worth keeping. Origi and a new forward signing would be good back-up.

Townsend, Kompany and Ramsey the three nominees for GOTS. They've gone with Kompany's strike. Surprised at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

And why have i no point?

Do you have some sort of manufactured rivalry with Everton fans while living here in Ireland? Are you living in an area densely populated with them or something?
    City are just another PL team to me. The fact that their success is almost entirely down to some Emirati dude signing his name a load of times one day makes it a much easier pill to swallow when United are not winning it.

I’ve known 2 City fans in my lifetime. It would be odd as f*ck for me to have a United/City rivalry thing going on.

Do you have some sort of manufactured rivalry with Everton fans while living here in Ireland? Are you living in an area densely populated with them or something?
    City are just another PL team to me. The fact that their success is almost entirely down to some Emirati dude signing his name a load of times one day makes it a much easier pill to swallow when United are not winning it.

I’ve known 2 City fans in my lifetime. It would be odd as f*ck for me to have a United/City rivalry thing going on.

Its weird people are trying to paint it any other way.

I mean I get why people who were born or lived in Cities where the teams are based might think we are odd as ****.

But the main rivalry for Irish fans of either (united pool) supporters is the other.

As a fan of either if you, try to spin it any other way you are just being deliberately obtuse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Began 2019 with a seven-point lead at the top and no team has ever failed to win the title after heading into the new year with that lead.

Squandered a fantastic opportunity you'd have to say.

Man Utd were 8 points clear in March 2012, City won the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,924 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Since he is a City fan you would have expected that poster to know that.

As a Liverpool fan, that's where my interest lies so therefore i'd see, hear and read within similar circles as Everton fans and their hatred, jokes etc etc against Liverpool would naturally lead me to dislike them more than say Spurs, Forest or Maidstone Utd. It's hardly rocket science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

As a Liverpool fan, that's where my interest lies so therefore i'd see, hear and read within similar circles as Everton fans and their hatred, jokes etc etc against Liverpool would naturally lead me to dislike them more than say Spurs, Forest or Maidstone Utd. It's hardly rocket science.

So to clarify you're not surrounded by Everton fans, but Liverpool fans speak about Everton which leads to you hating Everton?

Weird, I always thought the joke was that Everton fans were the ones obsessed:pac:

That's nice, but you're responding to a stat that says:
    no team has ever failed to win the title after heading into the new year with that lead.
    Since he is a City fan you would have expected that poster to know that.

Since you're an Agents of Shield fan you'd be the authority on the slumping of seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

That's nice, but you're responding to a stat that says:

Since you're an Agents of Shield fan you'd be the authority on the slumping of seasons.

that is some serious clutching at straws :rolleyes:

that is some serious clutching at straws :rolleyes:

It's really not.

• Advertisement
Advertisement