Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2018-19 Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

It's really not.

it is and to be fair it is sad , liverpool have had an unreal season we lost the league to the best premier league side ever or best league side in history by a point ,

and you are going to tell me you are not clutching straws , we also have a european cup final to look forward to , complete nonsense posts lad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

it is and to be fair it is sad , liverpool have had an unreal season we lost the league to the best premier league side ever or best league side in history by a point ,

and you are going to tell me you are not clutching straws , we also have a european cup final to look forward to , complete nonsense posts lad

My opinion is that the best Premier League side ever wouldn't get knocked out of the Champions League two years in a row by sides that finish 4th in the Premier League.

Liverpool are indeed a great team. No opposition fan on Boards has been as complimentary towards their potential these past ten months as I have been. But facts are facts, it was in their hands and they squandered the chance. Even accounting for the loss at the Etihad, it was a 4 point lead in a two-horse race without ever having to face the other horse again. That is a golden opportunity missed no matter what the spin doctors try to suggest otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

My opinion is that the best Premier League side ever wouldn't get knocked out of the Champions League two years in a row by sides that finish 4th in the Premier League.

Liverpool are indeed a great team. No opposition fan on Boards has been as complimentary towards their potential these past ten months as I have been. But facts are facts, it was in their hands and they squandered the chance. Even accounting for the loss at the Etihad, it was a 4 point lead in a two-horse race without ever having to face the other horse again. That is a golden opportunity missed no matter what the spin doctors try to suggest otherwise.

`good post in fairness , still cant see how liverpool could have done any more then what they did , 97 points is a great return and if truth be known like a load of liverpool fans i am slightly worried about madrid in 3 weeks time ....but as you can see not willing to give anything away ;):pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

City had to play most games after Liverpool had played too. When liverpool were in front they could not stay in front. City could, never panicked and hence why they have the Trophy this morning. No shame in it for liverpool just simply City held the better nerve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

All this talk off the irony of United fans "supporting" City over Liverpool for the title is amusing.

I mean its not like a few weeks ago Pool fans were supporting United to take points from City :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Thay was 24 hours of shamless whoredom, Utd are Cities bitches for the foreseeable future. Defining yourselves by your noisy neighbours success over Liverpool.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

pjohnson wrote: »
    All this talk off the irony of United fans "supporting" City over Liverpool for the title is amusing.

I mean its not like a few weeks ago Pool fans were supporting United to take points from City :pac:

I think you need to learn the meaning of the word irony. You're like Alanis.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Also, since we're talking about Liverpool fans being happy utd are rubbish, I think it would be remiss of me if I didn't point out that utd were more points behind the leaders this season than in an other season since 3 points for a win was introduced. I think that's an interesting facht.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

5starpool wrote: »
    I think you need to learn the meaning of the word irony. You're like Alanis.

Well if thats not what ye are amusing yourselves about then what are ye on about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

5starpool wrote: »
    Also, since we're talking about Liverpool fans being happy utd are rubbish, I think it would be remiss of me if I didn't point out that utd were more points behind the leaders this season than in an other season since 3 points for a win was introduced. I think that's an interesting facht.

A very interesting tidbit. To be fair, it certainly “feels” like their worst season in a generation too, even if you didn’t have the quantifiable stats to hand. Since their win in Paris and the justified hysteria it created on here at the time, they’ve lost 8 and drawn 2 of their remaining 12 fixtures. An utterly hideous end to the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

That's nice, but you're responding to a stat that says:

Come on. You're deliberately making it seem like Liverpool blew the biggest lead ever. Facts are teams have been more points ahead, later it the year and lost it.

New year is just a random date, bit like saying a team on top on October 15th never lost the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

That's nice, but you're responding to a stat that says:

Come on. You're deliberately making it seem like Liverpool blew the biggest lead ever. Facts are teams have been more points ahead, later it the year and lost it.

New year is just a random date, bit like saying a team on top on October 15th never lost the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

That would be a reasonable point if Liverpool played city in April or maybe end of March but they played them on 3rd January with nearly half a season left. Given how many points Liverpool and city got you night aswell argue that Liverpool shouldn’t of dropped any points all season if they were serious contenders! Come on guys this tit for tat banter stuff is really silly.

We can debate the strength of the teams/league but there are no words that can discount the points tally both teams got and the relentless nature in which they kept winning. In many regards Liverpool have made city’s win way more impressive then last seasons cake walk and last seasons points tally meant Liverpool knew they had to shatter records to try and over take city.

I do agree that city’s champions league run is a blip on their overall record. No team in the world has a squad like theirs , possibly ever, so I think they’ve under performed on an overall level. And I don’t mean it makes their league win any less impressive , it’s more that I think have a really high bar and they only met one of those targets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Is the general premier league thread always dominated by a select group of posters talking about the 6th placed side in the league?

I must admit, I would have thought they might have other topics to discuss at a time like this. Its just strange that United is being mentioned more often than Liverpool considering they were long out of the title race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

What was the point in having an access request for the soccer forum as a requirement when the entire forum is an utter mess?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    What was the point in having an access request for the soccer forum as a requirement when the entire forum is an utter mess?

Keep the sane people out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

What has that got with being the best Premier league team ever ?
    Cup competition is completely different , two legged games are different,

198 points in 2 years is proof of the pudding no side has ever got close to that, Plus next weekend they will more thank likely win the first ever domestic treble, There is no question they are the best ever Prem team,

They have the two highest ever points back to back ,

Fans clamming it was in Liverpool hands they are correct it but guess what it was in all 20 teams hands in August and City won it,

No one threw anything away , no one bottled anything ,Just one side got more points than the rest ,

Is the general premier league thread always dominated by a select group of posters talking about the 6th placed side in the league?

I must admit, I would have thought they might have other topics to discuss at a time like this. Its just strange that United is being mentioned more often than Liverpool considering they were long out of the title race.

You find it weird that one of the bigger clubs in the world having their worst season in a generation and in the midst of a horrible run of form are discussed in a general thread? Come on now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Jaysus lads you all take it wicked personally!

Reminds me of 5th class in the 80’s

• Advertisement

Hughton sacked. 7 losses and 3 draws to finish the season and they looked a very poor and badly coached team yesterday. Hard to argue with such a decision. Interesting to see who they’ll hire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Gavlor wrote: »

This is better crack in fairness

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Hughton sacked. 7 losses and 3 draws to finish the season and they looked a very poor and badly coached team yesterday. Hard to argue with such a decision. Interesting to see who they’ll hire.

I think that's harsh , There job is to survive and they did so that's job done, anything after that is a bonus,

Lets no forget they are Brighton and they actually try to play attractive football what do people expect ?

There longest run in the top division ever and there manger gets sacked,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I think that's harsh , There job is to survive and they did so that's job done, anything after that is a bonus,

Lets no forget they are Brighton and they actually try to play attractive football what do people expect ?

I know it’s not exactly the same but I remember when charlton sacked Alan Curbishly and he regularly had them mid table. I think it’s very harsh TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

A bold move. One that will probably end in relegation next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Very harsh on Hughton.

Kept them in the Championship, got them promoted and kept them up in the PL last 2 years.

Lost 1-0 in an FA Cup Semi Final to City this year

Looked poor lately but it’s end of season and they were eventually safe

A decision that’ll come back to haunt Brighton IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Very harsh on Hughton kept them up and Fa Cup semi final.

His recruitment hasn't been very good though.

Drumpot wrote: »
    I know it’s not exactly the same but I remember when charlton sacked Alan Curbishly and he regularly had them mid table. I think it’s very harsh TBH.

No manger in the history of there football club has been as successful as Chris and that's a fact ,

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Very harsh on Hughton kept them up and Fa Cup semi final.

His recruitment hasn't been very good though.

Walker should have been sent off at 0-0 as well,

Absolute bonkers from there board ,

This thread is gold

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056638151

Put this one into perspective too ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Baffling decision from Brighton. The board must have got notions from somewhere or other but this won’t end well for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

This thread is gold

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056638151

Put this one into perspective too ;)

I was over at the Chelsea v Blackburn game and then City weer fighting to topple Utd and when news of Agueros goal came through well after the final whistle at the Bridge went, the ground celebrated as Utd were the dominant force then.

It was a strange day, Chelsea were finishing behind Newcastle but had an FA cup and CL final to play, one I was expecting us to win and the other was just hoping we'd not get destroyed by Bayern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Probably steeled to it after what happened to him at Newcastle though. No doubt will now take over Championship also-rans and get them promoted straight away.

As a side note: I'd give manager of the year to Pochettino if he manages to lift CL.
    I apologize for disregarding the fact earlier in the season but considering he wasn't allowed open a wallet last summer it's incredible where he has gotten the team given what City & Liverpool spent above them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

As a side note: I'd give manager of the year to Pochettino if he manages to lift CL.
    I apologize for disregarding the fact earlier in the season but considering he wasn't allowed open a wallet last summer it's incredible where he has gotten the team given what City & Liverpool spent above them.

First team to go a Premier League season without making a single signing. Having no "home" ground for most of the season. Heaps of injuries to key players for the past few months. Remarkable when you think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    First team to go a Premier League season without making a single signing. Having no "home" ground for most of the season. Heaps of injuries to key players for the past few months. Remarkable when you think about it.

There's teams lower down who have deeper squad depth and budget than Poch had.
    What he's done with them is an amazing feat. You won't see him spending record fees and had to make do when one of the best strikers around was missing for a lot of games.
    City missed De Bruyne a lot but had a €65 million player who barely got on the pitch in reserve
    Liverpool had so few injured despite playing with such intensity.
    If he wins the CL it'll be an unbelievable feat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

If Poch doesn't win the CL though yous can get back to the 'what's he ever won' schtick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I think the Spurs not buying anybody last summer is a bit over-stated.

It was already a very strong squad. A solid top 4 squad that would have got top 4 again. Players and coach very familiar with each other and being able to play different formations etc. Kept their young core together with no big player leaving.It's still a young squad but every player they have seems to be there for 5 seasons. That's very important in terms of playing style and continuity within the team. Any signings they would make would have to be title challenging signings.

And really, last summer, what areas would they be buying players for?

GK - they have Lloris, and a decent back up also
    RB - Trippier's stock was at an all time high last summer, so they would not be replacing him. That changes now though after his bad season. Also a strong back up in Aurier
    LB - Rose & Davies. Again, 2 strong options for LB
    CB - Vertonghen, Alderweild, Sanchez, Foyth. Again, strong options there at CB, and can play a number of formations with them
    CM - I think Winks is a good player but Wanyama & Dier are only average to me. Sissoko improved massively this season. Demebele the opposite. Plenty of numbers in CM pre-season but maybe not the quality overall.
    LW - Son is one of their most important players and he is not going to be replaced.
    AM - Eriksen & Alli. When on song, are two of the top players in the league. Again, are they really going to replace these players pre-season? Doubt it
    RW - Lucas Moura got better and more important as the season grew. Possibly pre-season they could have looked at this position and tried to improve it but they won't now. Lamela an able back up also.
    CF - Kane. Not going to replace him. No top striker will move to Spurs while he is there and Kane is always number 1 for Spurs. Can't really see them moving to a double centre forward formation regularly so they can't really buy for here either. Son a great back up option and Llorente is Llorente!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

suddenly some posters realise how good Pochettino is doing after previously disregarding the job he done because of no trophy.

Same posters will say Klopp should be sacked if Liverpool lose the CL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

98 Man City
    97 Liverpool
    72 Chelsea
    71 Tottenham
    70 Arsenal
    66 Man Utd
    57 Wolves
    54 Everton
    52 Leicester West Ham
    50 Watford
    49 Palace
    45 Newcastle Bournemouth
    40 Burnley
    39 Southampton
    36 Brighton
    34 Cardiff
    26 Fulham
    16 Huddersfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Feel bad for Houghton, he consistently seems to get undeservedly sacked. Seems a decent individual too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Wolves manager to be sacked next season when they finish 8th and only get to Cup final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Gavlor wrote: »

Pool were winning trophies back then so the lads might not be as triggered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,790 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

FitzShane wrote: »
    I think the Spurs not buying anybody last summer is a bit over-stated.

It was already a very strong squad. A solid top 4 squad that would have got top 4 again. Players and coach very familiar with each other and being able to play different formations etc. Kept their young core together with no big player leaving.It's still a young squad but every player they have seems to be there for 5 seasons. That's very important in terms of playing style and continuity within the team. Any signings they would make would have to be title challenging signings.

And really, last summer, what areas would they be buying players for?

GK - they have Lloris, and a decent back up also
    RB - Trippier's stock was at an all time high last summer, so they would not be replacing him. That changes now though after his bad season. Also a strong back up in Aurier
    LB - Rose & Davies. Again, 2 strong options for LB
    CB - Vertonghen, Alderweild, Sanchez, Foyth. Again, strong options there at CB, and can play a number of formations with them
    CM - I think Winks is a good player but Wanyama & Dier are only average to me. Sissoko improved massively this season. Demebele the opposite. Plenty of numbers in CM pre-season but maybe not the quality overall.
    LW - Son is one of their most important players and he is not going to be replaced.
    AM - Eriksen & Alli. When on song, are two of the top players in the league. Again, are they really going to replace these players pre-season? Doubt it
    RW - Lucas Moura got better and more important as the season grew. Possibly pre-season they could have looked at this position and tried to improve it but they won't now. Lamela an able back up also.
    CF - Kane. Not going to replace him. No top striker will move to Spurs while he is there and Kane is always number 1 for Spurs. Can't really see them moving to a double centre forward formation regularly so they can't really buy for here either. Son a great back up option and Llorente is Llorente!

Spurs fan here, I’m of the opinion we need a new right back, trip has been a shambles and aurier is a decent backup but can be very rash. Kyle walker peters is young but doesn’t impresse.
    Gk is a problem. Loris looks great one game and error prone the next. He has cost us points but also kept us in games. A bit of a conundrum that one.
    Cb and lb are quite strong.
    Rw moura will be a very strong player.
    Lw son is quality.
    Cm is where I see the problems. Deli has been brutal for much of the season but has flashes of brilliance. Dier, wanyama, are just not up to it.
    Sissoko has had a great season but his previous season was poor. I remember games when he couldn’t pull off a 5 yard pass.
    Winks has plenty of promise and looks like a good player, but will he push us on to the title......probably not.
    Lamela, I just don’t know. Will he ever reach all the potential he has? There’s question marks over his fitness and temperament.
    Eriksen, no doubt about it he’s one of the best midfielders in the league at joking up play and providing assists, but lately I’m just not sure how committed he is on the pitch. The contract negotiations worry me.
    Kane= absolute quality.
    Llorente = viable plan b to hold up the ball and allow runners to feed off him

If Ali regains form and we hold onto our cb’s and Eriksen, plus we sign a rb and a (break up the oppositions play and start our own type cm) cm, we could do a bit of damage next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Maybe don’t give poch money tho. Sissoko Lamela janssen spring to mind..

• Advertisement

Well it all starts again on June 13th when fixtures are released with the 1st game scheduled for 10th August (TV may move one to the 9th) and then finish on May 17th 2020

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

May 17th? Is the winter two week break coming?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Maybe don’t give poch money tho. Sissoko Lamela janssen spring to mind..

Sissoko & Lamela have done well. Lamela was signed by AVB in 2013.

Janssen big flop no doubt.

May 17th? Is the winter two week break coming?

There will be 2 weekends with just 5 fixtures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Well it all starts again on June 13th when fixtures are released with the 1st game scheduled for 10th August (TV may move one to the 9th) and then finish on May 17th 2020

Community Shield is August 5th

City v Watford or Liverpool depending on the FA Cup final

Short turnaround alright. The transfer window now closes before the season starts right?

• Advertisement
Advertisement