Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2018-19 Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

8-10 wrote: »
    Community Shield is August 5th

City v Watford or Liverpool depending on the FA Cup final

Short turnaround alright. The transfer window now closes before the season starts right?

And on the 14th August

European Super Cup will be either Spurs/Liverpool V Chelsea/Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

MD1990 wrote: »
    suddenly some posters realise how good Pochettino is doing after previously disregarding the job he done because of no trophy.

Same posters will say Klopp should be sacked if Liverpool lose the CL.

There's a limited amount of trophies and for a top club only 2 worth winning.

I never get this black and white approach to wether a manager is good or not.

"Didn't win a trophy?" Sack him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

rob316 wrote: »
    There's a limited amount of trophies and for a top club only 2 worth winning.

I never get this black and white approach to wether a manager is good or not.

"Didn't win a trophy?" Sack him

True . Mourinho at United has won more trophies than Klopp and Pochettino put together but I would rather watch Klopp and Pochettino teams play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

And on the 14th August

So the treble is on?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

And on the 14th August

In bloody Turkey. If Liverpool are in it I hope we send the reserves. I know that won't happen, but still.

5starpool wrote: »
    In bloody Turkey. If we are in it I hope we send the reserves. I know that won't happen, but still.

Istanbul tho

Istanbul tho

Doesn't mean it's not a pain in the hole location, as will the final next year of we make it a hattrick of finals, despite the memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Feel bad for Houghton, he consistently seems to get undeservedly sacked. Seems a decent individual too

He seems decent but the fans of the clubs he manages get tired of his style of play. Football is about more than just results and staying in a division. That's satisfying for a season or two but when the fans and players become bored with survival football, it's all over. He's an excellent manager at Championship level but his spells at Norwich and Brighton show he doesn't have the ability to sign players who will push a team on at premier league level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

In bloody Turkey. If Liverpool are in it I hope we send the reserves. I know that won't happen, but still.

On a Wednesday night in the middle of August. Was thinking about applying for tickets for this but it's going to be a glorified friendly. Two PL teams in Turkey, particularly Spurs v Arsenal or Spurs v Chelsea, could be a messy affair fan wise also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Do the UEFA "family" get 60% of the ticket allocation for that game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

The UEFA family don’t want to be at that game I imagine

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Do the UEFA "family" get 60% of the ticket allocation for that game?

last season the final was in Estonia, in a ground that holds just under 14.5 K fans had 70% of tickets UEFA family 30%.

Belfast applied for this years final bet UEFA are kicking themselves now for not giving it to them

last season the final was in Estonia, in a ground that holds just under 14.5 K fans had 70% of tickets UEFA family 30%.

Belfast applied for this years final bet UEFA are kicking themselves now for not giving it to them

Shame they don't play it in Monaco like they used to. Went there for the game and it was a great trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

True, I imagine there's massive financial incentives for moving it around however.

Given that Istanbul had the Super Cup and next CL final of had assumed that it was a package deal type thing now. That definitely not the case? Seems weird that Istanbul got both then.

Given that Istanbul had the Super Cup and next CL final of had assumed that it was a package deal type thing now. That definitely not the case? Seems weird that Istanbul got both then.

And in different stadia

UEFA seen money having smaller nations bid for the Super Cup i say it is a tester for going to America for the CL final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,215 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

2 players who started in the 2016 Super Cup Final got relegated from the Premier League this season. 1 player who started played in the Championship this season.

Bit of pointless trivia!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

I believe that the UEFA should not name a Host city until the Quarter Final stage, at earliest. See who is in the quarters, make a shortlist of 3 suitable and available locations that are centrally located for those 8 teams and then pick the best suitable shortlisted one once the finalists have been established. What's the point of two english teams playing a final in Moscow or Baku, or two Spanish teams playing in St. Petersburg (just an example).

It's incomprehensible that they send 100K fans across Europe when all 4 teams are from the UK. UEFA should take ecological and financial concerns into consideration.

IMO the most suitable locations for both games would be Amsterdam, Wembley, Dublin, Frankfurt or maybe Brussels. All locations that are reasonably easy to access for fans (and teams) without having to take out a second mortgage to attend the game or to just be on site on the day.

And before someone mentions logistics. I don't for one second believe that the UEFA and their partners won't be able to handle the logistics with only 4 weeks notice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

DubDani wrote: »
    What's the point of two english teams playing a final in Moscow or Baku, or two Spanish teams playing in St. Petersburg (just an example).

Realistically then, then finals would only ever be played in England, Germany, Italy or Spain.

I think it's good that the finals move around. Dublin would never have got the Europa Final, not that the people of Dublin were too bothered about it.

And before someone mentions logistics. I don't for one second believe that the UEFA and their partners won't be able to handle the logistics with only 4 weeks notice.

I would argue about logistics. Trying to get secondary venues, hotels, conference centres, branding and the stadium itself set up with only four weeks notice would be a nightmare.
    ozzy jr wrote: »
    Realistically then, then finals would only ever be played in England, Germany, Italy or Spain.

I think it's good that the finals move around. Dublin would never have got the Europa Final, not that the people of Dublin were too bothered about it.

The final could be played in any major city in the UK/Ireland or central Europe. Plenty of options for UEFA. Dublin is a particularly good location for a final, given the fact that it is highly unlikely that a team from here will qualify for the final. That transport links are very good and there are no visa requirements like Baku. Dublin was always going to get a final once the Aviva was finished.

They need a week to prep a stadium for the final

They need a week to prep a stadium for the final

A week to implement an event plan. My neighbours company was one of the local businesses that did work for the UEFA final here and it was a twelve month project. People are focusing in on the game itself, not the event as a whole.

Berserker wrote: »
    A week to implement an event plan. My neighbours company was one of the local businesses that did work for the UEFA final here and it was a twelve month project. People are focusing in on the game itself, not the event as a whole.

I am talking about a week really to set the stadium up for the final changing advertising boards and all that kind of stuff and that is just the stadium there is alot more that would go into it just to do it in 4 weeks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

What people here are basically saying is, only play games in Western Europe.

What if Zenit got the final, they would need visa's to visit the UK/Ireland.

You will all watch on tele and not be going anyway so not to worry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Don't think there's any Zenit fans on Boards so couldn't see many wanting to go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Don't think there's any Zenit fans on Boards so couldn't see many wanting to go.

Not the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,215 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

There's a lot more planning involved in having a host city than just having a stadium & it's advertising screens ready.

There is security for both the stadium, but also the city in general.
    There are workers throughout the stadium.
    There is logistics with travel to the host city, and also throughout the city.
    Travel plans / policing in the general area.
    Making sure the cash is placed properly into the brown envelopes for the UEFA family
    And probably a lot more planning than I can think of.
    Hotel and accommodation planning so that there is suitable room availability for June and does not clash with other major events in the same city such as large concerts which would require similar policing and planning.

Madrid was actually an excellent choice for this season for the Champions League final as it is very accessible from a number of countries - Ireland / UK / France / Italy / Portugal / Germany, it's just than airlines and hotels then took the p1ss when they saw that it would be mainly a UK crowd arriving for the final.

Fair enough, Baku is a bad choice but they generall tend to spread the Europe League final out to countries which would traditionally not have the Champions League football in that country - Lyon, Stockholm, Basle, Dublin, Warsaw etc. These would traditionally not be 'big' soccer cities so they are giving them a chance. Maybe even 'test the water' to see their suitability to hosting a larger game in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭jacool

It's incomprehensible that they send 100K fans across Europe when all 4 teams are from the UK. UEFA should take ecological and financial concerns into consideration.
    To be fair to UEFA, they have tried to cap that number to 44K.

And in different stadia

Ah I didn't know that, just seen they were both there and made an incorrect assumption.

• Advertisement

They basically should have them all in western or central Europe, or at the very least don't have it anywhere that they'll struggle in terms of number of visitors at airports or in hotels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

FitzShane wrote: »
    There's a lot more planning involved in having a host city than just having a stadium & it's advertising screens ready.

There is security for both the stadium, but also the city in general.
    There are workers throughout the stadium.
    There is logistics with travel to the host city, and also throughout the city.
    Travel plans / policing in the general area.
    Making sure the cash is placed properly into the brown envelopes for the UEFA family
    And probably a lot more planning than I can think of.
    Hotel and accommodation planning so that there is suitable room availability for June and does not clash with other major events in the same city such as large concerts which would require similar policing and planning.

Madrid was actually an excellent choice for this season for the Champions League final as it is very accessible from a number of countries - Ireland / UK / France / Italy / Portugal / Germany, it's just than airlines and hotels then took the p1ss when they saw that it would be mainly a UK crowd arriving for the final.

Fair enough, Baku is a bad choice but they generall tend to spread the Europe League final out to countries which would traditionally not have the Champions League football in that country - Lyon, Stockholm, Basle, Dublin, Warsaw etc. These would traditionally not be 'big' soccer cities so they are giving them a chance. Maybe even 'test the water' to see their suitability to hosting a larger game in the future.

Your post brought this scene to mind for some reason

Baku for the 2019 Europa League final?
    Wherever...

Berserker wrote: »
    Two PL teams in Turkey, particularly Spurs v Arsenal or Spurs v Chelsea, could be a messy affair fan wise also.

Yeah, cos Liverpool fans would never cause problems at a European final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Yeah, cos Liverpool fans would never cause problems at a European final.

Over 30 years ago. Times change. Previous 5 Liverpool European final appearances have had no problems.

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Over 30 years ago. Times change. Previous 5 Liverpool European final appearances have had no problems.

Didn't UEFA call them the worst fans in Europe after the final in Athens?

Don't know. Did they?

From a policing/security preparation perspective, what happened in 1985/Heysel would not even come into consideration for a final in 2019. Even Liverpool’s appearances in 2001/05/07 would probably not be considered as they’re in the quite distant past when it comes to security prep in terms of what can be learned from those events. If UEFA have any concerns with Liverpool fans it would be based on the most recent and reflective sample-size – that being 2016 and 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Heard that myself. There were reports of Liverpool fans robbing tickets off their own fans at that final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

All the rumours are true, we are an awful shower of *****.

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Heard that myself. There were reports of Liverpool fans robbing tickets off their own fans at that final

I also seem to remember a certain newspaper getting in trouble for printing unsubstantiated stuff about LFC fans after Hillsborough. It would be wise to remember that.

Just did a search on this, as I didn't remember the furore at all... turns out UEFA changed their tune not long afterwards, as LFC had the support of British politicians;
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/liverpool-fans-not-the-worst-platini-1.1300988

I also seem to remember a certain newspaper getting in trouble for printing unsubstantiated stuff about LFC fans after Hillsborough. It would be wise to remember that.

Just did a search on this, as I didn't remember the furore at all... turns out UEFA changed their tune not long afterwards, as LFC had the support of British politicians;
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/liverpool-fans-not-the-worst-platini-1.1300988

Ah sure maybe it was Chelsea fans robbing tickets

• Advertisement

I didn’t say anything about Chelsea fans.

Someone else brought up Athens in 2007, which I didn’t remember as having any trouble, so I looked it up and linked to the most recent article about it I could find.

Someone else brought up Athens in 2007, which I didn’t remember as having any trouble, so I looked it up and linked to the most recent article about it I could find.

Would not worry what he says it is not like the fans of Everton are squeaky clean

I was there and didn't see any problems, but I wasn't in with the main bulk of the Liverpool fans. I did hear afterwards that there was a problem in that not enough turnstiles were open and people pushed their way through, which meant that people probably weren't in their right seats and maybe a few got in without tickets. That's hardly comparable to real trouble where people get injured/killed though.

Would not worry what he says it is not like the fans of Everton are squeaky clean

Pot kettle?

I was there and didn't see any problems, but I wasn't in with the main bulk of the Liverpool fans. I did hear afterwards that there was a problem in that not enough turnstiles were open and people pushed their way through, which meant that people probably weren't in their right seats and maybe a few got in without tickets. That's hardly comparable to real trouble where people get injured/killed though.

Liverpool fans turning up without tickets and pushing their way in? I find that hard to believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I see Mike Ashley is being Mike Ashley again.

He promised the Newcastle squad if they stayed in the Premier League that he would fund an all expense trip to Las Vegas for them when they were bottom of the league at the first group of games.

So Ashley has now back tracked and is not going to fund that trip instead he is just giving the player their season bonuses now instead of having to wait till June for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Liverpool fans turning up without tickets and pushing their way in? I find that hard to believe.

Ah jaysus man. That's a low one. What are you trying to prove. Athens was a logistical nightmare. The game should have been delayed. People with tickets ended up not getting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I see Mike Ashley is being Mike Ashley again.

I expected this to be something like not wanting to sign Rondon & instead ask Burnley about the availability of Peter Crouch.

Won't someone think of the children!

• Advertisement

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Pot kettle?

Are you not liking Everton fans being called out, just called it out as you were acting as if Everton fans are all nice and trying to stir the pot yourself

Advertisement