Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2018-19 Part 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Soton are safe!

The Rabbit has been pulled from the hutch. Or something.

Must say I like that an ex Red sunk Cardiff today and maybe for good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,924 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Hopefully Brighton can beat Newcastle tonight and will be Warnock down :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Congratulations west ham you wanted the win much more than us!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Hopefully Brighton can beat Newcastle tonight and will be Warnock down .

They missed some amount of chances when they attacked Fulham. I don't think Brighton even need a point.
    Cardiff's last 2 games on paper are rotten, at home to Palace (who are dangerous on the road) & away at Old Trafford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Palace doing Brighton a favour? They'll roll over if they think it'll send them down.

Hughton has to justify some recent selections and tactics to keep his job even if staying up I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

ERG89 wrote: »
    They missed some amount of chances when they attacked Fulham. I don't think Brighton even need a point.
    Cardiff's last 2 games on paper are rotten, at home to Palace (who are dangerous on the road) & away at Old Trafford.

Liverpool fans won't be happy be that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Brighton losing again. Surely Hughton will be sacked whether they stay up or not

They were never likely to make the PL a permanent home. Three seasons is actually pretty decent, if they go down' Hughton would still be their best bet.

Edit it's two years. Weird it feels longer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

To go down they need to not get another point and hope Cardiff beat palace at home and get a point at utd.

They'll be fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Brighton losing again. Surely Hughton will be sacked whether they stay up or not

Looks that way.Fair dues to Rafa,doing a great job at Newcastle,despite their terrible owner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

noodler wrote: »
    To go down they need to not get another point and hope Cardiff beat palace at home and get a point at utd.

They'll be fine

With how it's going they'll get a point at Palace and beat Utd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Brighton are four points ahead of Cardiff, 3 + 1 based on GD. Brighton have been appalling for the last few months and I can't see them getting anything from their remaining games. They'll stay up because Cardiff won't win against Palace, who are good on the road.
    Bridge93 wrote: »

Think he'll go. He's done very well with them. Took them from the middle of the championship to the PL and kept them there.
    Looks that way.Fair dues to Rafa,doing a great job at Newcastle,despite their terrible owner.

Will be interesting to see what sort of effort they put in next weekend.

I hope Benitez plays a change team to annoy Warnock.

I hope Benitez plays a change team to annoy Warnock.

Plays a changed team against????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭jpboard1

Would nearly think spurs and united are favorites for 3 and 4 now. Especially as game is in Old Trafford tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Brighton equaliser from GroB.

Berserker wrote: »
    Plays a changed team against????

Liverpool of course! He is still full of fume from when Rafa put out a weakened side in 2007 v Fulham when he was manager of Sheffield Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Brighton equaliser from GroB.

Cardiff need 2 wins now. :)

Cardiff need 2 wins now. :)

Yeah, think they'll go down next weekend. Palace are very good on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Berserker wrote: »
    Yeah, think they'll go down next weekend. Palace are very good on the road.

Agreed, they were so bad today, I don't see them picking up anything against Palace and think they'll be gone by mid week.

• Advertisement

Hope Brighton stay up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Most forgettable relegation "battle" ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Brighton unlikely to get results v arsenal and city but will probably stay up. Wonder will Hughton go in the summer. I think he’s taken them as far as he can

After three years maybe he'll be given some decent money to spend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Most forgettable relegation "battle" ever.

ye cardiff seemed destined to go down with ages imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

After three years maybe he'll be given some decent money to spend.

He's spent over 100m in two seasons and hasn't bought well at all

eh i dunno wrote: »

Admit I didn't know it was quite that much.

But 50m a season and successfully keeping Brighton in the division is a measure of success i suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭chicorytip

noodler wrote:
    Admit I didn't know it was quite that much.

noodler wrote:
    But 50m a season and successfully keeping Brighton in the division is a measure of success i suppose.

Eddie Howe has managed it comfortably for three consecutive seasons now with limited financial resources at his disposal. Some of his signings have been disappointing but, unlike Hughton's, his teams are always entertaining to watch

chicorytip wrote: »
    Eddie Howe has managed it comfortably for three consecutive seasons now with limited financial resources at his disposal. Some of his signings have been disappointing but, unlike Hughton's, his teams are always entertaining to watch

I guess the obvious otherside to that argument is that other teams have spent what Brighton have and gone down.

• Advertisement

I guess the obvious otherside to that argument is that other teams have spent what Brighton have and gone down.

Like Fulham? Three wins and three clean sheets in a row for them. Bossed that game today for 80 mins. Anguissa is settling into English football now. Looks like a solid PL footballer to me. If Fulham keep him, Mitro, Cairney and R. Sess, I think they'll be very strong candidates to come back up. Vietto, Seri and Schurrle are off to pastures new, so that should cover the wages gap. Those three won't be much of a loss on the field.

Berserker wrote:
    Like Fulham? Three wins and three clean sheets in a row for them. Bossed that game today for 80 mins.

Cardiff could have scored 3 in those 10 minutes & Cardiff don't even have a premier league quality team.

eh i dunno wrote: »

Hughton has extremely little control over player purchasing at Brighton; Paul Winstanley actually does the majority of the work with the CEO Paul Barber doing signoff; and there have allegedly been cases of players Hughton didn't want being signed - not even cheap or free ones at times.

He does, however, have tactical control which is clearly falling to bits and the local paper is ****stirring about losing the dressing room and player behaviour.

Pascal Gross has got goal of the month for April anyway; unless they bring in some womens team or PL2 goals for voting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

L1011 wrote: »
    Hughton has extremely little control over player purchasing at Brighton; Paul Winstanley actually does the majority of the work with the CEO Paul Barber doing signoff; and there have allegedly been cases of players Hughton didn't want being signed - not even cheap or free ones at times.

He does, however, have tactical control which is clearly falling to bits and the local paper is ****stirring about losing the dressing room and player behaviour.

Pascal Gross has got goal of the month for April anyway; unless they bring in some womens team or PL2 goals for voting!

Salah against Chelsea wasn't bad either.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Salah against Chelsea wasn't bad either.

I meant the Brighton club one, should probably have said that.

As in - he is the only Brighton player to have scored in April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

How long is the current winning run in the league for both city and Liverpool?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Arsenal player throwing the arm / elbow, can be thankful maybe only a yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

ozzy jr wrote: »
    How long is the current winning run in the league for both city and Liverpool?

11 in a row for city, 7 for Liverpool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

rob316 wrote: »
    11 in a row for city, 7 for Liverpool

Amazing really.

I think city may draw one of their next two games.

Has anyone noticed how Leicester City now have a really tidy first 11?

Leicester XI: Schmeichel, Ricardo Pereira, Evans, Maguire, Chilwell, Choudhury, Albrighton, Tielemans, Ndidi, Maddison, Vardy

Subs: Soyuncu, Gray, Iheanacho, Ward, Barnes, Mendy, Fuchs

The mid pack Wolves, Everton, Foxes, Watford and maybe West Ham all have plenty of talent, just lack the top level and/or experienced management

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Leicester killing Arsenal here, need to capitalise...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Has anyone noticed how Leicester City now have a really tidy first 11?

Leicester XI: Schmeichel, Ricardo Pereira, Evans, Maguire, Chilwell, Choudhury, Albrighton, Tielemans, Ndidi, Maddison, Vardy

Subs: Soyuncu, Gray, Iheanacho, Ward, Barnes, Mendy, Fuchs

The mid pack Wolves, Everton, Foxes, Watford and maybe West Ham all have plenty of talent, just lack the top level and/or experienced management

If they can hold onto their key players and upgrade on Schmeichel, Evans and Albrighton I think they could have a really good campaign under Rodgers next season.

The worst thing I could say about Arsenal is that they are very easy to play against. Badly miss Ramsey too as Mkhitaryan and Ozil are worthless 95% of the time.

Missed two absolute sitters though. A header 5 yards out from the corner and Vardy there...fùck :confused:

Arsenal down to 10. Take off Mkhitaryan as he's been anonymous.

Arsenal down to 10. Take off Mkhitaryan as he's been anonymous.

Down to 9 then! :D

That Miki/Sanchez swap worked so well for all parties. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Leicester finally make the breakthrough.

What a ball, what a header ! Even with 10 men Arsenal had looked comfortable... but that is going to force the 10 men to press and become probably more vulnerable.

Arsenal could be down to 9 after that kick on the keeper. Plus Leicester should have had another.

Two GREAT saves by the Arsenal keeper, especially the second one.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

No one wants 3rd or 4th place it seems...

• Advertisement
Advertisement