Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB headache.

• 23-04-2019 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭

Well the AIB forum is gone I see.
    My little story of frustration:
    I went to AIB about a year ago to open a bank a/c. I have a BOI a/c and used to have an AIB one years ago. I just wanted a simple deposit a/c with or without cards. Had all my ids proof of address etc. I had to ask around ten times for a simple deposit a/c , infact insist on it, had to get quite shirty over the space of a half hour discussion to eventually cut through the upselling of investment a/C's. Eventually got what I wanted abeit with a sour taste in my mouth. Have used the a/c a couple of times since. Fast forward to today , went in to AIB to check balance, got balance. Then I was told that the a/c was locked until I updated my details and could not be unlocked until then. O.K. Let's update my details......where you working...do you rent..how much rent...salary? That's when I walked out. I'll have to go in again of course and tell them what underwear I'm wearing.
    So in order to upsell they make it a condition that you provide as many personal financial details as possible or lock your a/c. Disgraceful.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Provision 2.5 Consumer Protection Code 2012

A regulated entity must ensure that in all its dealings with customers and within the context of it's authorisation it seeks from its customers information relevant to the product or service requested

The only information they should be asking you for should relate to the product you hold with them. Which for a basic deposit account should be just AML information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

Really ..great...can I sue them?? Whey hay happy times. BTW I asked was this a statutaury legal thing early on and they said yes. Later on I asked again and they said no just new policy for the bank.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

lalababa wrote: »
    Well the AIB forum is gone I see.
    My little story of frustration:
    I went to AIB about a year ago to open a bank a/c. I have a BOI a/c and used to have an AIB one years ago. I just wanted a simple deposit a/c with or without cards. Had all my ids proof of address etc. I had to ask around ten times for a simple deposit a/c , infact insist on it, had to get quite shirty over the space of a half hour discussion to eventually cut through the upselling of investment a/C's. Eventually got what I wanted abeit with a sour taste in my mouth. Have used the a/c a couple of times since. Fast forward to today , went in to AIB to check balance, got balance. Then I was told that the a/c was locked until I updated my details and could not be unlocked until then. O.K. Let's update my details......where you working...do you rent..how much rent...salary? That's when I walked out. I'll have to go in again of course and tell them what underwear I'm wearing.
    So in order to upsell they make it a condition that you provide as many personal financial details as possible or lock your a/c. Disgraceful.

You failed to copy with the money laundering rules, so they locked your account. Standard practice. Nothing disgraceful about it.
    source wrote: »
    Provision 2.5 Consumer Protection Code 2012

A regulated entity must ensure that in all its dealings with customers and within the context of it's authorisation it seeks from its customers information relevant to the product or service requested

The only information they should be asking you for should relate to the product you hold with them. Which for a basic deposit account should be just AML information.

Incorrect. Covered by Money Laundering requirements.
    lalababa wrote: »
    Really ..great...can I sue them?? Whey hay happy times. BTW I asked was this a statutaury legal thing early on and they said yes. Later on I asked again and they said no just new policy for the bank.

No you can't. You want the account comply with the requirements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Why not just use boi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Incorrect. Covered by Money Laundering requirements.

You'll note I mentioned AML in my post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

Ah well if it's anti money laundering legislation rules then I don't mind so much, but was never told that. When I first opened the a/c there were alot of questions as well. Just browned off with the lock down and new set of questions.

Advertisement