Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Land adjacent to house

Options
  • 23-04-2019 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

Hi all,
    We recently went sale agreed on a property and now the vendor has offered us the opportunity to buy half an acre adjacent to same. From previous discussions with the agent I understand they have sought planning on it previously but it is too small to have a septic tank installed.

From what I can see on landdirect.ie the house and this piece of land is currently all on one folio so I would envisage they are trying to clear the whole lot together.

We are giving it some consideration for a potential shed down the line.

Can anyone advise what questions I should be asking or what I should be doing to find out what its worth?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Op, half an acre is a big site, why would this not be big enough for a septic tank?

If it’s going cheap and you can afford it, buy it. It will prevent someone else getting planning there, it will mean you shouldn’t need to worry about anyone objecting on that side if you apply to extend your house later, and if you have kids, it’ll make a great footy pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

Might be worth noting stamp duty considerations also depending on the size. Stamp duty of 1% applies to property that is valued at under million but also it’s a house up to one acre. If you buy the extra piece of land and it’s over one acre, you pay stamp duty of 6% of the value of the land that’s over one acre.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If it's cheap, buy the land. You've always the option of selling it later if prices rise, but if they don't, you'll have room to build a shed, and a decent sized garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭utmbuilder

Buy land God anit making no more.

Advertisement