Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What size ammo is this?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

tac foley wrote: »
    This really begs the question - how does he have a shotgun at all?

In fairness I dont think he actually does, to not even know the calibre of shotgun you have is a bit of a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Are 7.5s (i don't know what "trap cartridges" are) bad cartridges for a 12 gauge single barrel shotgun? I shot a fox once 8 times at close range and he still didn't die (he was caught in a snare). I had to shoot him a 9th time. It seemed like an awful lot of shooting just to kill a fox. Just wondering if i should have different ammunition for my shotgun.

Can you stick up a photo of your gun?
    There are an awful lot of old single barrelled shotguns still in the hands of old folk who inherited them from their relatives.
    I know of two fellows with old guns, one a Harrington & Richardson the other an un-named Belgium gun, both are kept behind their bedroom door. Both are probably from the early 1900's.
    There is no way I would be firing anything more potent than a 28g clay load out of either.

If its an old gun you have, stick up a photo, especially of the markings on the mechanism when the gun is disassembled.
    It may not be safe to shoot at all.

PS. Shooting a fox caught in a snare, the end of thr gun barrel would need to be less than 6 foot awsy from the creature to insure an instantaneous death.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Asus1

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    There are an awful lot of old single barrelled shotguns still in the hands of old folk who inherited them from their relatives.
    I know of two fellows with old guns, one a Harrington & Richardson the other an un-named Belgium gun, both are kept behind their bedroom door. Both are probably from the early 1900's.
    There is no way I would be firing anything more potent than a 28g clay load out of either.

If its an old gun you have, stick up a photo, especially of the markings on the mechanism when the gun is disassembled.

PS. Shooting a fox caught in a snare, the end of thr gun barrel would need to be less than 6 foot awsy from the creature to insure an instantaneous death.

I used to go to driven fox shoots with my father a good few years ago and he and other club members would drop fox stone dead at 30yards plus a bit with shotguns.I think they shot eley superfox or something like that but it was a bb load.Would you need to be that close to kill a fox with clay loads,would 10/15yards away not kill him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Asus1 wrote: »
    I used to go to driven fox shoots with my father a good few years ago and he and other club members would drop fox stone dead at 30yards plus a bit with shotguns.I think they shot eley superfox or something like that but it was a bb load.Would you need to be that close to kill a fox with clay loads,would 10/15yards away not kill him.

If its in a snare, and you have 7.5 clay load cartridges with you why not get close?
    Shot spreads at about one inch per yard of travel, so at 15 yards it is typically occupying an area 15 inches in diameter, and losing penetrating power .
    Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Asus1

If its in a snare, and you have 7.5 clay load cartridges with you why not get close?
    Shot spreads at about one inch per yard of travel, so at 15 yards it is typically occupying an area 15 inches in diameter, and losing penetrating power .
    Just my opinion.
    Would actually agree with you in regard of getting as close as you can to dispatch a fox in a snare.With the clay/pigeon loads how far is too far to ethically use on a fox.I always remember the kick off the bb load in my fathers old Spanish side by side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Asus1 wrote: »

Had crows fly away after being hit with 28g of no 8 shot. Not made for deep penetration at all. No problem getting charlie at 40yards with rc50 in 0 shot etc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

solarwinds wrote: »
    In fairness I dont think he actually does, to not even know the calibre of shotgun you have is a bit of a stretch.

Get the impression,the OP inherited this gun and is facing the 1st time liscensing questionare in their name,and is clueless how to go about it.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    solarwinds wrote: »

Get the impression,the OP inherited this gun and is facing the 1st time liscensing questionare in their name,and is clueless how to go about it.

If that is the case, hopefully, any new member is welcome to the shooting community. It would be better if the op clarified this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Cass wrote: »
    We don't know that. We only have the OP's word.

It's also why i still believe this is a wind up/troll.

Most genuine people would ask questions and learn before acting. The OP has come on, asked a fundamental question, shown they have not followed the regular protocol for applying, shown their utter lack of knowledge and then compounded it all by retelling a story that no sane person would either do or admit to doing.

It seems a "look at how bad hunters are, because i am one" ruse.

The only reason the thread has been left open is the excellent replies from all the community of genuine hunters condemning this behaviour and trying to educate not only the OP but any other person in the real position of thinking of starting into the sport.

The OP asks about licence renewal but is clueless about the requirements to get a licence in the first instance. Anybody who went through that would know all about the requirements..
    It’s a trolling exercise IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 25 BattleHardened

You should have been a detective :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

And you should have a licence before you go shooting foxes with the gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Jaysus ban him and lock this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Sound advice, plenty of century old guns are perfectly safe to use but you need to know it's limits. Plenty of old guns will do fine for decades to come with the right loads. Put in the wrong length and weight of cartridge once too often and you could be saying goodbye to your hands and half your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Sound advice, plenty of century old guns are perfectly safe to use but you need to know it's limits. Plenty of old guns will do fine for decades to come with the right loads. Put in the wrong length and weight of cartridge once too often and you could be saying goodbye to your hands and half your face.

I'm actually shooting a gun which was passed down to me by my father. An old Monte Carlo side by side. Just love the feel of the gun. Shooting buddy's always remark how well it can kill at distance. Yea, it has its limits, can't use steel shot etc, but I'd find it hard let go of it.

I actually was...:P No messing.
    So we can now deduce,by your own admission,you are liscensing,or attempting to liscense a firearm,that you clearly are not fammilar with at all.Seriously...Go and do a basic saftey course in gun handling and knowledge,you do need it,and it is a basic requirement for first time applicants.If you can drive a car safely,you can shoot a gun safely.Would you chance letting someone out on the road with just the knowledge of starting and putting a car in gear??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Eddie B wrote: »
    I'm actually shooting a gun which was passed down to me by my father. An old Monte Carlo side by side. Just love the feel of the gun. Shooting buddy's always remark how well it can kill at distance. Yea, it has its limits, can't use steel shot etc, but I'd find it hard let go of it.

Still have,and use occasionaly as a walkabout, my 1st shotgun I got at ten years old,a single shot Belgian 410 folding poachers shotgun.Must be well over 150 years old by now ,bore has some pitting in it,but it still kills crows and clays well.
    OTOH my grandfathers 1936 Drilling is a danger to use,as it has become worn in its aluminium reciver,and can discharge all 3 barrels at once!So its destined to become a wall hanger soon in Germany.Aluminium technology in the 30s was cutting edge,so hardening wasnt that good.Just shows,it doesnt depend on the age,but the condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Still have,and use occasionaly as a walkabout, my 1st shotgun I got at ten years old,a single shot Belgian 410 folding poachers shotgun.Must be well over 150 years old by now ,bore has some pitting in it,but it still kills crows and clays well.

You are 140 years old?

Oy.

Anyhow, I'm having a hard time getting my head around this person and his antics. I was always of the impression that you had to license the gun before you could use it or claim ownership of it.

And I dont look a day over 139...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

OTOH my grandfathers 1936 Drilling is a danger to use,as it has become worn in its aluminium reciver,and can discharge all 3 barrels at once!So its destined to become a wall hanger soon in Germany.Aluminium technology in the 30s was cutting edge,so hardening wasnt that good.Just shows,it doesnt depend on the age,but the condition.

Duralumin I believe it was called in those days. Not exactly the aircraft construction aluminium of today.....

Advertisement