Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun safe/storage

Options
  • 23-04-2019 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hello there

So I'm after putting a deposit down for a .22lr. I already have a shotgun which I break to store (as per requirements). Now that I will own a .22 as well I'll be required to store the guns in a safe. I've no problem with that fact at all, it's just I'm wondering about fixing/securing the safe. The floor is not an option (at least I don't think?) as it's wooden. I live in a normal semidetached house where everything other than the perimeter walls are drywall. This might be a daft question to those of you who are more adept at DIY than myself, but can you just anchor the safe into one of the supporting walls or what? Or do you need to remove plaster first?

One more question regarding the FCA1 for this gun. The gun is for shooting vermin on the father in laws farm. I dont need membership to a club as well do I? I'm already a member of a clay shooting club but guess this wouldn't be relevant for this application.

Thanks in advance. This forum is great for getting answers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Hack12

Basically the safe needs to be secure and a dry wall won't really hold the safe if you pull out of it. If you can access your attic maybe the chimney breast is your best option.

Double check the form but I think you need permission from two farmers/land owners. Once you have that you don't need to be a member of a club.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Kran

Can you not fix it to one of the perimeter walls if they are block walls?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Does your wooden floor not have concrete underneath?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Never fix it to a chimney breast, hot/cold will rust you’re guns,
    Once it’s a solid wall you’re good to go,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Most modern houses have "cosi-board" type insulation on the inside of exterior walls, so that would be of little use anchorage wise.
    There must be at least one interior wall of block work you can bolt to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭JohnFitz2332

Used a few Hilti screw anchors and fixed it to a perimeter wall nice and secure!

Advertisement