Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election Posters!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

About ten years ago, I reported a large Sinn Fein poster on the Mackey Roundabout.

It had created a blind spot where you couldn't see traffic already on the roundabout.... you just had to pray nothing was coming.

To their credit, the Council and/or Sinn Fein removed the poster within an hour.

At Roxboro today, Elena Secas and James Collins were vying for top spot.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I think it's fairly well established that banning posters makes it much more difficult for less well-known candidates, independents and those from smaller parties to get elected, so good news for FG/FF mostly if they are banned if that's what you're into.

Personally they don't bother me too much as long as they are taken down after which they are by and large. Don't really see the big fuss. I could be swayed that there should be a limited number from each candidate allowed and probably for a shorter duration, but I don't really care too much having said that.

Strike a balance.

Have a limited number of posters you are allowed place, in designated areas (with massive fines for non compliance)

It will allow smaller candidates compete but also stop parties absolutely drowning out said candidates, with multiples of poster numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Funny enough I saw Willie O Dea in Dooradoyle last week with 2 guys, every 3rd house he waited outside the gate while a fella ran in and put leaflet in to letterbox. I’ve wondered myself while I always seem to miss them with a working doorbell and front door about 7ft from the living room...

Whatever about me not hearing them, my dogs aren’t even hearing them put the leaflets in the letterbox and they can hear another dog (not barking) across the road. Ninja Leafleteers they are!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Whatever about me not hearing them, my dogs aren’t even hearing them put the leaflets in the letterbox and they can hear another dog (not barking) across the road. Ninja Leafleteers they are!
    was these crowd:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

source wrote: »
    They're not and if you report it to ESB Networks they'll go take them down.

On my cycle last night I was doing a random check on posters - it looks like a huge amount of them are on ESB Poles, if the ESB have to take them down then they won't have much time for any of their routine work.

Who pays for the removal, what happens the posters - are they returned to the candidate?

I've decided not to report any poster unless I think there's a health and safety issue with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

phog wrote: »
    On my cycle last night I was doing a random check on posters - it looks like a huge amount of them are on ESB Poles, if the ESB have to take them down then they won't have much time for any of their routine work.

Who pays for the removal, what happens the posters - are they returned to the candidate?

I've decided not to report any poster unless I think there's a health and safety issue with them.

ESB will remove rather promptly and destroy them, they will also report the candidate on the poster to both gardai and the local council. I have no idea how the cost of removal is covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

panda100 wrote: »
    I get why people don't like them. I personally don't find them really ugly. I think we already have a lot of unnecessary clutter, ugly wiring and poles all over our city. Posters on them don't make them any difference to this imo.

I would be very much in favour of designated poster area's for political candidates. By extension, this space should be used to advertise important civic events/issues as well also outside of election time. Successive Fine Gael and Fianna Fail governments have failed to legislate for this so unfortunately postering is a necessary part of our democracy.

I don't think it's a necessary part of our democracy, its certainly a part of it but i don't see it as necessary.

I agree that there is a lot of clutter in our city which needs to be minimised, perhaps a point that a directly elected mayor could raise one in place as the current system seems happy with the status quo. I don't however agree with your point that its already cluttered so the posters don't make a difference.

ESB will remove rather promptly and destroy them, they will also report the candidate on the poster to both gardai and the local council. I have no idea how the cost of removal is covered.

It's only an assumption but I wouldn't say it's beyond the realms of possibility that ESB Networks would charge the candidate for removing them. It certainly wouldn't be unreasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

And yet the first poster I saw this year was a FG poster, followed by a SF and FF, haven't seen any independent posters yet.

It must depend on your area. Between the city centre where I live and Shannon where I work the vast majority of posters I see (within the city) are Greens, Solidarity, Social Democrats and Independents.
    Strike a balance.

Have a limited number of posters you are allowed place, in designated areas (with massive fines for non compliance)

It will allow smaller candidates compete but also stop parties absolutely drowning out said candidates, with multiples of poster numbers

Yeah I would be totally open to adjustments to the specific rules around them. A cap on the number each candidate can put up would seem fairly reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Every poster in my area is on a street light pole, Im talking hundreds of them!
    Some are at eye level on the footpath which seems very dangerous to pedestrians!
    To be honest its disgusting driving into town along mulgrave st, ballysimon road!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Hannah will sort them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

YFlyer wrote: »
    Hannah will sort them out.

If she does then can the candidate be liable for littering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

phog wrote: »
    If she does then can the candidate be liable for littering?

Or if they cause an accident will they be liable for damage?

Posters down or damaged all over Limerick today i wonder how quick the candidates will be out to fix or remove?

Some look to have been cut down

Mc Love wrote: »
    Some look to have been cut down

Hannah my no.1

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Frankie Daly has some smaller normal size posters up around Thomond Park. They look like he re-used them from his Labour days by just taping over the Labour symbol. Could also be jusy poorly designed new ones too I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

How it's done in Japan. A series of communal signs around the town/city in designated spots, rather than thousands of individual posters. You can also see, on the right, info about the date of the election, how to register to vote, and so on. I wonder could something like that be implemented here.

mc-e1503926424990.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Can you define what a free house is?

There’s a Limerick Councilor with a nice new free house

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Can you define what a free house is?

when your parents are gone!! you have a free gaff for partying :p:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

I'm for them!

I'm voting for the posters... Good quality cardboard, cable-ties....

Apparently over 30 posters put up by Elisa O'Donovan are missing! Not sure if it was malicious or hannah

Apparently over 30 posters put up by Elisa O'Donovan are missing! Not sure if it was malicious or hannah

Leader stuck for news lol

I'll actually laugh if this appears on the leader, but apparently a candidate on the northside also had her posters removed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Simple solution: don’t have posters :pac:

Or.... ESB Networks?

Or.... ESB Networks?

Good chance considering they are just throwing them in any where
    Thought all these new style candidates would be against clutter and litter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Or.... ESB Networks?

The ESB are removing posters from their poles as it's prohibited.

30 of the same candidates posters going missing though? That sounds malicious especially if it's only 1 candidate that seems to be affected!

kingtut wrote: »
    The ESB are removing posters from their poles as it's prohibited.

30 of the same candidates posters going missing though? That sounds malicious especially if it's only 1 candidate that seems to be affected!

That's a fair point but if you look at O'Connell Ave or South Circular Road all the poles along there carry electricity cables and lots of posters from the same candidates. I'm just saying it's a possibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

That's a fair point but if you look at O'Connell Ave or South Circular Road all the poles along there carry electricity cables and lots of posters from the same candidates. I'm just saying it's a possibility.

I'm sure those posters will be removed in due course. They rely on phone calls rather than scouting around as far as I know. I agree though it's a possibility.

I always wonder what happens to the posters when the election is over? Are they dumped / stored away etc? Must cost a fortune to print!

Advertisement