Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election Posters!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Past an ESB pole this morning that had two candidates on it and both are gone. Could possibly be ESB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Mc Love wrote: »
    Past an ESB pole this morning that had two candidates on it and both are gone. Could possibly be ESB

I wonder why they put them on ESB poles at all when they know it's prohibited and they will get fined :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

kingtut wrote: »
    I wonder why they put them on ESB poles at all when they know it's prohibited and they will get fined :confused:

It's like parking of footpaths on a match day or outside mass - once a few do it the sheep follow.

Safety in numbers and all that.

phog wrote: »
    It's like parking of footpaths on a match day or outside mass - once a few do it the sheep follow.

Safety in numbers and all that.

A very valid point! The lack of enforcement also means people do it without giving a care in the world.

I'd definitely vote for someone who had a genuine interest in rectifying the amount of illegal parking in Limerick.

Of all the candidates I've seen on the news etc Elisa O'Donovan seems to be the only one who is actually getting stuff done (although not sure what her views are on illegal parking etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

A very valid point! The lack of enforcement also means people do it without giving a care in the world.

I'd definitely vote for someone who had a genuine interest in rectifying the amount of illegal parking in Limerick.

Of all the candidates I've seen on the news etc Elisa O'Donovan seems to be the only one who is actually getting stuff done (although not sure what her views are on illegal parking etc)

The same as all of ours. Have a look through her Twitter and you'll see that she highlights the illegal parking situation in Limerick a lot. Is there anything that councillors can even do about the illegal parking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭stuckintipp

During the abortion referendum the anti-choice posters really irritated me.

I know what you mean, all the together for yes poster deflecting the issue and never once mentioning that a life was going to be ended was sad and disturbing.

The same as all of ours. Have a look through her Twitter and you'll see that she highlights the illegal parking situation in Limerick a lot. Is there anything that councillors can even do about the illegal parking?

No clue to be honest ... In the 3ish years I've lived in Limerick I have not seen any improvement in the illegal parking situation. Walk less than 2 minutes from the Garda station on Henry St and you will see at least 5 / 6 cars parked illegally.
    As you head for O'Connell st and around the milk market area the number rapidly increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

why is the social democrats twitter a/c suspended ?? it was the @socdem on her a/c profile i clicked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

why is the social democrats twitter a/c suspended ??

Didn't the account get alot of negative commentary about the candidate from direct provision who was running on their behalf in Dublin. Seems her background story was fiction.

Didn't the account get alot of negative commentary about the candidate from direct provision who was running on their behalf in Dublin. Seems her background story was fiction.

o right thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

why is the social democrats twitter a/c suspended ?? it was the @socdem on her a/c profile i clicked

Yeah just checked it there and you're right the @socdem on her a/c brings you to a suspended a/c but if you search for socdem the account is grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

o right thanks.

Assuming that could be the reason, i'm open to correction though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

I was driving home yesterday evening around 6pm. Came to 4 Cross roads, big white van just stopped there, they moved on up the road very slowly, top of the hill on a bend he just stops, initially I thought he was sizing a place up, I flashed my lights at him, he puts hand out the window for me to pass him out on a bend!!! Thankfully I didn't as a jeep comes around. Van eventually moved onto a safer place for me to overtake. Checked this morning and there is a load of posters of a candidate along that stretch of road. I hope he calls to my house because it was reckless driving, looking at fecking poles to put posters on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭manna452121

ESB crews on the Ennis Road taking down posters.Hopefully they will go around some of the housing estates and do a clean-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i see the SF candidates are "fighting for Ireland"

do we really need that provocative rhetoric in this day & age?

fryup wrote: »
    i see the SF candidates are "fighting for Ireland"

do we really need that provocative rhetoric in this day & age?

It like this tune when u hear it everyone goes in to hyperactive mode

https://www.facebook.com/StairnahEireann/videos/313133632683668/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

I'm sure those posters will be removed in due course. They rely on phone calls rather than scouting around as far as I know. I agree though it's a possibility.

I always wonder what happens to the posters when the election is over? Are they dumped / stored away etc? Must cost a fortune to print!
    A good lot end up in the river.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

On my cycle around Condell Rd/Caherdavin last night I noticed the cable ties one set of posters were never trimmed back so the excess is protruding by at least 12 to 18 inches, the lowest one is a danger to pedestrians

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭BobMc

Seems a big clear out has happened, some complaints on twitter from mayor collins etc. I know the corbally road was covered in these posters, most now gone !!! from any electrified poles, missed the odd one, but most gone, cable ties
    not removed though !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Some have reappeared on ESB poles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭BobMc

they just cant help themselves :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

A good lot end up in the river.

About 8 years back I saw 2 or 3 even older ones probably from about 10 years ago being used to assist a boat being turned while out of the water at the Curraghour boat club so at least those went to good use. I cant remember the politician though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭JDxtra

They are like something from a past era. Horrible things, distracting and an environmental waste.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Some have reappeared on ESB poles

Idiots. They will just be removed again by the ESB. I guess they don't care about getting fined?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Such a waste. Imagine the Green Party, who bleat on and on about climate change, not saying "no, we are not putting up posters and creating a load of waste to be dumped in a landfill in a few weeks time".
    If a candidate (from any sensible party) took this step, I might just vote for them.

Such a waste. Imagine the Green Party, who bleat on and on about climate change, not saying "no, we are not putting up posters and creating a load of waste to be dumped in a landfill in a few weeks time".
    If a candidate (from any sensible party) took this step, I might just vote for them.

Agreed. I'd definitely be more inclined to vote for a poster free candidate. Especially if they are also interested in resolving the illegal parking situation.

BobMc wrote: »
    Seems a big clear out has happened, some complaints on twitter from mayor collins etc. I know the corbally road was covered in these posters, most now gone !!! from any electrified poles, missed the odd one, but most gone, cable ties
    not removed though !!

what a twat he is complaining a posters being taking down wouldnt you think he know the rules being mayor.

While i was passing FR russell road i saw a load of fine gael ones all on esb poles as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

One good thing about the posters is now i know who the best looking candidates are and for such an ugly collection of people we have a few nice ones this time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

European and local election campaigners asked not to put signs on electricity poles https://jrnl.ie/4612738

Advertisement