Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A330 noise while taxiing

Options
  • 23-04-2019 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi there,

Was recently on AL a330 and during the taxi there was a strange sound, nearly like the grinding sound of a train going over tracks coming into a station if that makes sense?!

It was not the barking type Noise associated with airbus (have heard this noise before and was totally different!)

Anyone able to shed some light on what it could be?

TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Hydraulics can be noisy in some planes.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

Power Transfer Unit (the “barking dog”) I believe. Open to correction but I think it moves pressure between the hydraulic systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The parking brake on the A330 makes a very audible clunk

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

faoiarvok wrote: »
    Power Transfer Unit (the “barking dog”) I believe. Open to correction but I think it moves pressure between the hydraulic systems.

Oh I read the title as A320, may not be the case on the 330

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

There's no PTU on the A330 like the A320, probably the brakes being used against the wheels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

Heard that on one of EI's A332 too, was sitting over the wing and assumed it was just the hydraulics on the landing gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

On A320 there should be no reason (under normal circumstances at least) for the PTU to operate while the aircraft is taxiing or breaking as both engine pumps would be suppling hydraulic power (3000psi) to their respective system! Most likely to be heard during engine start/ shut down!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭jc11

Kev11491 wrote: »
    Heard that on one of EI's A332 too, was sitting over the wing and assumed it was just the hydraulics on the landing gear.

I was sitting near the wing also, im a bit of a nervous flier so some noises can freak me out! Good to know for the next time its something as simple as that!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It's when the plane stops making noises you should worry.

The parking brake on the A330 makes a very audible clunk

Have noticed that too, the noise im asking about was a short grinding noise, like metal on metal 😊

• Advertisement

Thats true!! Thanks, you made me giggle there..

Thanks all for the answers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Skuxx wrote: »
    On A320 there should be no reason (under normal circumstances at least) for the PTU to operate while the aircraft is taxiing or breaking as both engine pumps would be suppling hydraulic power (3000psi) to their respective system! Most likely to be heard during engine start/ shut down!

There is a provision in SOPs to taxi on one engine to save fuel. You may briefly hear the PTU operate on taxi in after the right hand engine is shut down. The yellow electric hydraulic pump is then switched on which will stop the PTU from running. Electric pumps have a loud high pitched whine which is very audible in the cabin.

It's very possible the OP heard an electric pump running.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

It's very possible the OP heard an electric pump running.

Doubtful on A330 though,pumps a lot quieter, there is a very noticeable hiss and clunking sound during taxiing when application of brakes applied on the A330 especially if your sitting over the wheel well area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Or when the cabin crew start worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,869 ✭✭✭Rawr

tricky D wrote: »
    Or when the cabin crew start worrying.

Or when all of the flight crew leave the cockpit and come out to join you in a drinking session....then I'd be a bit worried :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Its the brake shuttle valve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Skuxx wrote: »

PTU is inhibited during engine start on a 320

Advertisement