Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you know any transgender people?

• 23-04-2019 10:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭

Well do you? i don't know any (as far as i know)

If so how are they received in your area..are they accepted or looked upon as an oddity?

particularly in rural areas...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I do not.

I'd like to hear things from their perspective, rather than just having to read hot-take thrash in After Hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

Helllllllllllllllll no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Arghus wrote: »
    I'd like to hear things from their perspective, rather than just having to read hot-take thrash in After Hours.

There was a regular poster on AH for years giving their perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

fryup wrote: »

If so how are they received in your area..are they accepted or looked upon as an oddity?

Yes I know a good few. My neighbour is treated very well in the area and accepted too.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

One. Girl to guy, has a better beard than me now. Doing well for himself. Still terrible at telling jokes.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

There was a regular poster on AH for years giving their perspective.

There was quite a few but honestly I can understand why there isnt anymore when they get such hate and hostility.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Not now, but I did know one many years ago. Or rather I knew them as an acquaintance when they were a he and then bumped into them nearly 20 years later when they were a she. Other than that I've briefly met two down the years.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

There was quite a few but honestly I can understand why there isnt anymore when they get such hate and hostility.

True, I certainly wouldn't say they got an easy time of it but the poster I'm referring to certainly gave as good as they got :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Not that I'm aware of.

Serious question...

...is a "transgender male" a female who transitioned to male or is it the other way around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I do but I only realised when I saw them interviewed for a newspaper. You can't really tell otherwise, they transitioned young.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Serious question...

...is a "transgender male" a female who transitioned to male or is it the other way around?

Trans man is a woman to man situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭noubliezjamais

Honestly, I don't know why people keep ridiculing conspiracies. Don't you think David Icke has a point about this stuff? If most people ask themselves the question, they hardly know any transgender people because in many countries they are an extreme minority, especially in Ireland given it's relatively small population.

Why then is there so much attention on the media. Is there a society changing agenda?

I'm not transphobic as I actually am bisexual and want to get castration (as birth control and have received ostracism from people for that).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

fryup wrote: »

Know a handful, they’re generally regarded as harmless, go about their business, sometimes viewed as an oddity but that has more to do with their terrible fashion sense than anything else really - they’re hard to miss in hot pants, fishnet stockings and thigh boots, but once you get used to it, nobody really bats an eye :D

If she’d stop hanging her bras out on the balcony now that’d be lovely :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm not transphobic as I actually am bisexual and want to get castration (as birth control and have received ostracism from people for that).
    Ehh... have you heard of vasectomy? Just a tad less invasive and far far less damaging to the body than castration.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Honestly, I don't know why people keep ridiculing conspiracies. Don't you think David Icke has a point about this stuff? If most people ask themselves the question, they hardly know any transgender people because in many countries they are an extreme minority, especially in Ireland given it's relatively small population.

Why then is there so much attention on the media. Is there a society changing agenda?

You want to have your gonads removed as a form of birth control? Not sure you’ve thought this through to its natural conclusion, dude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

You want to have your gonads removed as a form of birth control? Not sure you’ve thought this through to its natural conclusion, dude.

What I would have thought the actions of an extreme minority, as transgender people are referred to in the original post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Yes,know a teenager who has transitioned from female to male.
    Seems very sure,articulate and imformative.
    Don't doubt for a minute that it's a life long choice and has been long coming.
    Very brave thing to do at that age and wishing him the best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

Not that I'm aware of.

Serious question...

not sure, I do know the medical term for a woman transitioning to a man is a strapadicktome though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭thecornflake

zoe 3619 wrote: »
    Yes,know a teenager who has transitioned from female to male.
    Seems very sure,articulate and imformative.
    Don't doubt for a minute that it's a life long choice and has been long coming.
    Very brave thing to do at that age and wishing him the best of luck.

This is what I assume is a prime example of a transgender person (if I'm honest I don't have much experience in this field, so I'm open to correction).

Anybody who has the intelligence and courage to make a lifelong decision of being honest with themselves and others deserves the utmost of respect and support.

As I said I don't have much experience with transgender people but my perception of it from the general mass is a mixed bag of opinions most likely not helped with attention seeking people (on both sides).

Fair play to your mate for having the courage to be who they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

no. but i couldnt care less what they are. once someone doesnt piss me off i leave well enough alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Yes my cousin is trans. Male to female. I also have another cousin who is gender fluid.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I know two who are MtF. Ones a close friend, the other was a good friend in college, have kinda drifted apart since, though we try to meet up every so often.

Lot of respect for both for going through such a tough process and for putting up some of the shíte they hear from people.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

A very close relative's child is transgender. 5 suicide attempts in the past two months, all of which were in an institution. When the private health insurance limit for in-patient hospitalisation is reached in the next few weeks, the parents are petrified given the fear they lived with on suicide watch each night (before getting up for work the next morning and looking after the other children) prior to their child's hospitalisation.

For the first time they have exhausted the infuriatingly little the health system chooses to give teenagers with mental health difficulties. Consequently, things are much more bleak now than before when they at least had hope. The depth of pain, fear, loneliness and abandonment some people go through cannot be put in words. All across Ireland there are decent, hardworking families enduring something similar. There but for the grace of God go we.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Don't know any as such as in friends but was out in town with a friend a few years ago and we saw a woman in a bar that looked really familar. We finally twigged it was a guy we went to school with that had presumably transgendered so we said hi and it was him/her and they had. Was good to meet up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Yep. One of my parents is trans.
    And I've met loads when I lived in the UK. You get the odd stereotypical weirdo but seriously the vast majority just want to get on with their lives, dress like any other woman and have lives and identities beyond being transgender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Quite a few. Mostly nice people, one is a twat. Percentage wise that sort of tallies out with the general population in my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

I live in SE Asia, so yes, quite a few. Thankfully, it's a lot more open and accepted here in many countries.

mike_ie wrote: »
    I live in SE Asia, so yes, quite a few. Thankfully, it's a lot more open and accepted here in many countries.

Same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

<snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I've known one, we were in a religious addiction treatment centre together. He was mid-transition from female to male, and looked like a man and went by a male name. However the management in the place refused to recognise his male identity, he was put sharing a bedroom with myself and four other women (which was a little bit uncomfortable for all involved) and was made participate in the female groups etc rather than being placed with the men. I felt sorry for him - his issues with his birth gender were a massive contributor towards his addiction, and here he was being forced to be female-but-not-really-female, like a square peg in a round hole all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 cjragoo

Used to talk to one online before they transitioned. Think she is a cam girl in England now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I did. She killed herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

No, I don't, and I don't want to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

fryup wrote:

Yup

<snip>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I know one - male to female.
    We're not close but chat when we meet. She's nice and I wouldn't mind hanging out more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

This has got to be one of the most bizzare things I have ever read.

It's not like birth control is particularly difficult ffs.

Any way, I have to dash - I'm off to book a decapitation, I believe it's a great cure for headaches!

Also - no, I don't know anyone transgender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

A female friend of mine was in a relationship with a transitioning woman (mtf). I met the two of them out and about before and my friend's partner was still in the early stages of the process (dressing and presenting as female, not started hormones etc yet). Can only imagine the hassle they must have gotten in day to day, as she looked less feminine than Panti Bliss.

I hope she's doing ok these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Hi

I employed 2 trans people. One was a young lad directly out of school, then another a few years later who was a friend of of the first lad. After a number of years they both transitioned to female.

When I employed them I though they were both young men, no idea they had different ideas.

TBH it made my life, running the business, a living nightmare. Both were customer facing, and I had to deal with endless situations which required tightrope diplomacy, something I am not good at. Some issues were internal, like the women in the office, none of whom wanted their toilet shared with staff they previously knew as men. Other issues came from customers, I remember when one of them had just started voice coaching (Govt funded) to sound feminine, he would start off telephone conversations with customers as a lady, and gradually change to full masculine at the end. This used to confuse the feck out of customers who didn't know who they were speaking to.

I also had to deal with my friends, who used to make my life even more difficult by making fun of my staff...

I have strong opinions on the transgender surge, but I rarely voice them as I find, in general, the trans community to be extremist, illogical, and pretty ruthless in their on line attacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

i work with one mtf colleague. honestly i'll be surprised if she dosnt end up the subject of a tribunal in years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Only ever known one that I'm aware of.

Guy joined the company I was with. Small guy with a raspy voice, but just another guy. Casually dropped in mention of his "husband" during a conversation - this was before the referendum - so I assumed he'd gotten married somewhere that wasn't behind the times. Whatevs.

Much much later he sent me an email from his personal address, which was a woman's name. I knew he wasn't married to a woman, so I was a bit confused, but didn't really think much of it.

Shortly after that someone mentioned that he was trans, and all the bits fell into place.

Nice guy, very good at what he does, and good fun too.

There was a relatively infamous trans woman here on boards, long, long before it was ever close to acceptable in the mainstream. Poor girl got a lot of abuse which is a deep black mark on boards' history. But she didn't really do herself many favours either. She was exceptionally combative and hostile, even to people trying to support her. Notorious for the same attitude around her college campus too.

I think it's understandable though tbh. Trans women get the worst treatment from bigots. People who will deny their right to exist, to their faces, accuse them of all sorts of sexual crimes and deviancy, and otherwise treat them like subhuman scum. So it's very understandable that many transwomen will be angry and hostile by default when it comes to "normal" people commenting on them. Trans men by contrast, don't get it easy, but they fly under the radar much more readily.

There's not an entire cohort of people desperate to "out" trans men, ban them from public spaces or accuse them of being perverts and paedophiles. You'll rarely see the question asked online, "What if the man you were dating turned out to be trans?". But you'll often hear the opposite question.

Because men aren't terrified that the guy they're having a laugh with might have been a woman. But they are terrified that the woman they're eying up at the bar may have had a penis.

There's probably also a certain level of "gender culture" stuff going on. Women are to a certain extent raised to be wilting violets. To accept their lot and work around it. Men are not. Men are raised to break down barriers and be strong. So when a trans man sees discrimination, he accepts it to a certain extent, it's just something else on top of the rest.
    A transwoman is not used to discrimination barriers. And when someone puts them in front of her, her default instinct is to break it down rather than go around it. So they tend, as far as I can see, to find themselves engaged in far more hostile social interactions, than trans men do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Have known several, one quite well, a coworker, married, 2 children, absolute horn-dog at work chasing and commenting on every single female around. Somewhat out of the blue, he transitioned to female about 4 years ago and is, as far as I know, still in close contact with his wife and children. Very active in the trans community too. Still, I couldn't have been more surprised when the transition started.

Other trans people I've known included the wife's niece who transitioned to male recently - as a female she was an outstanding athlete, now living as a man. Plus a few coworkers who were low-key about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

seamus wrote: »

There was a relatively infamous trans woman here on boards, long, long before it was ever close to acceptable in the mainstream. Poor girl got a lot of abuse which is a deep black mark on boards' history. But she didn't really do herself many favours either. She was exceptionally combative and hostile, even to people trying to support her. Notorious for the same attitude around her college campus too.

A black stain?? ..GTFO

That poster was unpleasant in the extreme who was intransigent in their views and attacked anybody who didnt goosestep behind their campaign.

Actually blew a great chance to sell their circumstance to a wide audience. But didnt went the combative route and alienated most of their audience.

I've no sympathy for the grief they got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That poster was unpleasant in the extreme who was intransigent in their views and attacked anybody who didnt goosestep behind their campaign.

Actually blew a great chance to sell their circumstance to a wide audience. But didnt went the combative route and alienated most of their audience.
    I don't disagree that she was unpleasant. But every trans person is not obliged to be an ambassador or representative for their "cause", any more than every straight man is a representative for the other ~3 billion of us.

The abuse she received for being trans was unwarranted and allowed to go on for far too long. By all means give her hell for being a fvcking asshole, but the transphobic abuse is something else entirely.

Imagine a thread about Bill Cosby that was nothing but wall-to-wall racism. He's an asshole. But it doesn't make racism OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I know a couple of people who are trans, both are nice, interesting people, both are involved in trans activism because there is still so much ignorance and stigma around being trans.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Pero_Bueno wrote: »
    not sure, I do know the medical term for a woman transitioning to a man is a strapadicktome though.

MOD Anyone trying to be funny like this will receive a BAN!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Several.
    Some are sound.
    Some aren't.

Knew most of them before they transitioned. The sound one's were sound then, the others weren't.
    I find being sound is a human thing not a gender thing.

I could do without the woman who chats endlessly to me about make-up. I understand that this is very exciting for her and she is learning a whole new way to be in the world. But I'm a dyky kinda dyke - I know f all about make-up and care even less. Please stop talking to me about make-up :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Tikki Wang Wang

Castration is a solution to many problems. Imagine getting kicked hard in the balls and it having no effect ! Eat your heart out Iron Balls McGinty !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

One of my OH's best friends is. Is female now, was male at birth. Dead sound. Says that she still believes that being transgender is an issue when it comes to finding work in her chosen field. Is well received and has had no major issues apart from that. Oh, guys run a mile when they find out she's trans. How would the single guys on here react if they met a girl and they found out she was trans, as a matter of interest?

A relative of mine transitioned from female to male.
    Then few years later, decided to change back again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

bubblypop wrote: »
    A relative of mine transitioned from female to male.
    Then few years later, decided to change back again.

Did that person transition fully both times?

• Advertisement
Advertisement