Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difficulty Moving from Irish Current Account To N26

• 23-04-2019 11:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭

Looking to close my PTSB current account and so to N26 full time.
    I have read about difficulty's with the German IBAN not been recognized by irish utility company's,but they are old threads ,has this been resolved?

Would i have to ring each company painstakingly one by one to get them to change over direct debits?

My current account has the following

Employer salary
    Sky
    Eir
    Electric Ireland
    VHI
    Standing order to my credit union account

How much ball ache will it take to implement that?

I could possibly use my credit union current account with some of the above if the refuse the N26 but dont want to be juggling transferring money over and back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭vrusinov

+1

Moved our beer money accounts from Ulster to N26. I was a bit surprised that 'sending money abroad' is separate menu in the ulster website.
    Was really annoyed that I can set standing order to German IBAN via website, need to find some time during work day to call them now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭gambithh

anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

I've a business N26 account and it's ticking along nicely. Revenue have no problems with it.

Biggest problem I've found with N26 is they are ruthless to reject a payment if the name is slightly wrong. Limited Vs Ltd etc.

I can't have a personal account N26 as you can't have more than one account. I'd shut my stupid Ulster Bank one very rapid if I could and use N26. No problems for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

gambithh wrote: »
    anyone?

Number26/N26 Mastercard/Account now for Irish Residents

Read the last few pages of this.

Direct Debits from Non-Irish Accounts

This one has some great info too

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭seanbirkhead

I'm in the process of starting to use N26 as my primary account.
    I was prompted to explore my options when Ulsterbank introduced their new fee structure this month whch took them from being one of the cheapest "Irish" banks to being one of the most expensive.
    I did have a problem with Three Ireland for my direct debit for my mobile bill. It seems that they do not have a clearly communicated policy internally on direct debits from "non-irish" banks. As a result you get bounced from chat operators to phone calls with customer service to accounts people and back again. If you use Three then you can save a lot of hassle by just calling them on 1913 on a weekday morning so that you actually get to speak to someone Irish (their offshore service is terrible so hang up and ring again if you get an offshore agent) Ask the Irish person to send you a DD Mandate. Fill it out with N26 details and send it back with the N26 "Bank Identity Statement" which you will find on the N26 web site under the downloads section when you log into your account on the web (not mobile). This is all you need to do under European law, Once they get it they will try and bounce you around chats and calls again but just quote European law at them and tell them if they don't accept it then they won't get paid so up to them . They will capitulate :-)
    My other other niggle so far is that I got refused cashback by Dunnes. Still looking into why that is and I'm going to start a thread on it. According to N26 there is no reason cahsback should be refused. I did see in another thread that someone who did manage to get cashback then saw it counted as one of their 5 free ATM withdrawls but I cannot confirm yet if that is the case.
    Other than that, I have successfully made and received payments into that account via IBAN. I've used moneybeam to send money to people whose banks account details I don't know and I've used moneybeam to other N26 customers all without a hitch.
    Contactless , chip and pin and google pay transactions all work without a problem too.
    My plan is probably to keep the Irish (Ulsterbank account) to have salary paid into and then trasnfer it straight to N26. In doing this under the new fee structure Ulster will cost me less per month than it used to. (It used to be 4 Euro a month flat. Now it is 2 Euro a month plus transactions fees but with only salary going in and then straight out to N26 it should be only 2.40 per month) Even if I come up against an insurmountable DD issue in the short term then I can just leave a few quid in ulster to cover it and it will only cost 20c per DD that I leave there so I will still be under the 4 quid per month even if I had to leave all my DDs there! I stress short term as under European SEPA regulations :
    " Pursuant to EU legislation on cross-border payments in the Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA), bank accounts and IBANs from
    all member states must be accepted for transfers and direct debits both on a national and cross-border basis."
    and I will fight this with every company I come accross that try and put any barrier in my way to having a free choice of banking provider.
    You will actually find this bit of text in the "identity" document that you can download from N26 that I mentioned above.
    So, my ultimate personal reccomentation is go for N26 and maybe consider just keeping the Irish account and using it as I describe above .
    Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6 Bernard McGinley

E-flow and a few other random bits wouldn't accept it when I tried, kept getting generic errors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭gambithh

I'm in the process of starting to use N26 as my primary account.
    I was prompted to explore my options when Ulsterbank introduced their new fee structure this month whch took them from being one of the cheapest "Irish" banks to being one of the most expensive.
    I did have a problem with Three Ireland for my direct debit for my mobile bill. It seems that they do not have a clearly communicated policy internally on direct debits from "non-irish" banks. As a result you get bounced from chat operators to phone calls with customer service to accounts people and back again. If you use Three then you can save a lot of hassle by just calling them on 1913 on a weekday morning so that you actually get to speak to someone Irish (their offshore service is terrible so hang up and ring again if you get an offshore agent) Ask the Irish person to send you a DD Mandate. Fill it out with N26 details and send it back with the N26 "Bank Identity Statement" which you will find on the N26 web site under the downloads section when you log into your account on the web (not mobile). This is all you need to do under European law, Once they get it they will try and bounce you around chats and calls again but just quote European law at them and tell them if they don't accept it then they won't get paid so up to them . They will capitulate :-)
    My other other niggle so far is that I got refused cashback by Dunnes. Still looking into why that is and I'm going to start a thread on it. According to N26 there is no reason cahsback should be refused. I did see in another thread that someone who did manage to get cashback then saw it counted as one of their 5 free ATM withdrawls but I cannot confirm yet if that is the case.
    Other than that, I have successfully made and received payments into that account via IBAN. I've used moneybeam to send money to people whose banks account details I don't know and I've used moneybeam to other N26 customers all without a hitch.
    Contactless , chip and pin and google pay transactions all work without a problem too.
    My plan is probably to keep the Irish (Ulsterbank account) to have salary paid into and then trasnfer it straight to N26. In doing this under the new fee structure Ulster will cost me less per month than it used to. (It used to be 4 Euro a month flat. Now it is 2 Euro a month plus transactions fees but with only salary going in and then straight out to N26 it should be only 2.40 per month) Even if I come up against an insurmountable DD issue in the short term then I can just leave a few quid in ulster to cover it and it will only cost 20c per DD that I leave there so I will still be under the 4 quid per month even if I had to leave all my DDs there! I stress short term as under European SEPA regulations :
    " Pursuant to EU legislation on cross-border payments in the Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA), bank accounts and IBANs from
    all member states must be accepted for transfers and direct debits both on a national and cross-border basis."
    and I will fight this with every company I come accross that try and put any barrier in my way to having a free choice of banking provider.
    You will actually find this bit of text in the "identity" document that you can download from N26 that I mentioned above.
    So, my ultimate personal reccomentation is go for N26 and maybe consider just keeping the Irish account and using it as I describe above .
    Good luck!

Many thanks for that detailed reply.
    Be interesting if getting cashback counts as an atm withdraw.

Would you not consider closing your Ulster Bank Acc totally and using a creduit union current account instead?

You could get salary paid into it if employer had issue and then transfer using Mobil app.

The only shortcomings of a credit union acc is lack of contactless ,debit card etc.
    The only shortcomings with N26 are difficulty setting up direct debits /salary /loans/ cash cheques ie a physical branch

Both used together should give a better service than the bank and both are free (if used cleverly)

Advertisement