Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

It doesnt matter if he was a road sweeper at the time the gfa was signed,fact of the matter is that he is now the british foreign secretary and the the gfa is of huge significance at this particular time

Your getting picky. He doesn't need to know it off by heart or anything. As I said he would have a team of civil servants to do that for him, just like Simon Coveney has.

Raab is just a bullshítter like all the rest of them, questioning his competence is pointless, he is the one doing the job, he doesn't care what anyone thinks.

Throwing mud at British MP's won't get us any closer to a UI or a deal on Brexit. But assuming they are clueless won't even get you to the table for talks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

15-20 years
    IAMAMORON wrote: »
    It doesnt matter if he was a road sweeper at the time the gfa was signed,fact of the matter is that he is now the british foreign secretary and the the gfa is of huge significance at this particular time

Your getting picky. He doesn't need to know it off by heart or anything. As I said he would have a team of civil servants to do that for him, just like Simon Coveney has.

Raab is just a bullshítter like all the rest of them, questioning his competence is pointless, he is the one doing the job, he doesn't care what anyone thinks.

Throwing mud at British MP's won't get us any closer to a UI or a deal on Brexit. But assuming they are clueless won't even get you to the table for talks.

Fairly hefty shift on those goalposts from, 'hasn't read' to, 'doesn't need to know it off by heart'...

• Registered Users Posts: 69,248 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Calling somebody out as not fit to do the job is 'throwing mud' now? :D

I'd have thought it was a statement of fact myself. Facts you didn't seem to know.

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    Fairly hefty shift on those goalposts from, 'hasn't read' to, 'doesn't need to know it off by heart'...

Meaning what exactly? Please elaborate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

10-15 years
    RobMc59 wrote: »
    I could have sworn you said your grandfather was an Ulster unionist which must surely mean you possibility have a fair bit of Ulster Scot/British in your DNA?

Ah, so if he has "British" DNA, he can't be Irish? I thought that ethnically based conceptions of nationhood went out of vogue, at the latest, when the Balkans erupted? Excluding people from Irishness because of their "blood" is a very alien concept to the same Irish nationalist tradition which has for many centuries and at various times placed Tomás an tSíoda, Sarsfield, Grattan, Tone, Parnell, Plunkett, Pearse, de Valera (by far the most popular Irish politician of the 20th century), Lemass and so many others in high esteem. Personally, I'd have more time for accommodating the Dubhghlas de Híde, Coslett Ó Cuinn, Eleanor Knott, Stephen Rea and James Nesbitt types of the Irish Protestant tradition than I'd have for accommodating the anglocentric Roman Catholic nationalism of the John Bruton/Avril Doyle/Brian Hayes/Alban Maginness types.

Perhaps you shouldn't be projecting Little Englander race-based conceptions of nationality upon the Irish? Thanks.
    As the OP I assumed you wanted to promote discussion about the thread subject.I agree my views are different to yours but nothing controversial imo.

• Advertisement

I'd have thought it was a statement of fact myself. Facts you didn't seem to know.

If you saw yourself in the mirror... you would have a row with it.

As soon as you run out of unionists to annihilate you start on your own, your a gas man Francie.

As I said before, typing jibes at British politicians will get no one nowhere. Assuming they are clueless loses your argument as far as I am concerned.

As soon as you run out of unionists to annihilate you start on your own, your a gas man Francie.

Oh dear. :D
    As I said before, typing jibes at British politicians will get no one nowhere. Assuming they are clueless loses your argument as far as I am concerned.

He wasn't fit to do the job - he is no longer doing the job he revealed he wasn't briefed for.

Nobody in Britain was sufficiently versed in the GFA before the issuance of Art 5o. Hence the mess of their own making that they are in. Fact, all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭droidman123

I didnt post any jibes,i just think its incredible as the british foreign secretary that he had,nt read the gfa,considering how significent it is now more than ever

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Calling someone out as not fit to do the job is an opinion, not a fact.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Calling someone out as not fit to do the job is an opinion, not a fact.

It is an opinion('I would have thought' being a signifier that it was my opinion) based on facts. Facts the poster didn't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭maccored

30-40 years
    janfebmar wrote: »
    Maybe you remember what Dev did so. He executed by firing squad and hanging captured IRA prisoners in Irish jails. Even Mrs Thatcher did not do that. Strong Republicans like Tim Pat Coogan said Dev was responsible for an era of cultural and economic stagnation and backwardness in Irish history. No not forget the massive emigration to England and America and elsewhere then, nearly nobody was left in the country. He made it a cold country for minorities, did not let in any Jewish refugees in any numbers, said if he had one job to give and 2 applicants, a protestant and a catholic, he would always give the job to the catholic. And some other politicians on the Island of Ireland got a higher % poll than he did.

is this deja vu? I could have swore I read all this before

15-20 years

Meaning what exactly? Please elaborate.

Like Ronseal, exactly what it says on the tin - the initial premise was that he hadn't read the GFA at all, which you have softened down to, 'doesn't know it off by heart's.

Like Ronseal, exactly what it says on the tin - the initial premise was that he hadn't read the GFA at all, which you have softened down to, 'doesn't know it off by heart's.

Waffle, your happy arguing over some bullshíting British MP?

What difference does it make if he has read it or not? Do you honestly believe he is not aware of what it entails?

15-20 years

Waffle, your happy arguing over some bullshíting British MP?

What difference does it make if he has read it or not? Do you honestly believe he is not aware of what it entails?

I'm perfectly happy to correct your arguing over some bullsh*tting British MP - I made no comment on Raab, just on your goalpost shifting.

I will make comment on it based on your last question though - what difference does it make whether he has read it or not? A pretty f*cking hefty one. Details matter.

20-30 years
    We were once the island of saints and scholars. Alas, my head is melted here and somebody needs to give this lesson:

"What he did", not "what he done". He/She/They/We did, not "done".
    He/She/They/We have done.

The precise same pattern applies to "saw" and "seen": "What he saw", but "What he has seen"; "I saw", but "I have (I've) seen".

You're = You are. Always. "Your" is used to indicate possession - e.g. your house. It's a very simple distinction.

If people - especially our ragingly proud Irish-hating Anglophiles like Mary above - haven't the self-discipline to learn such remedial words in the Queen's English, then you can be absolutely sure they've put no research/effort into getting facts about what they're (they are) writing about. Lazy. No pride at all. Their posts don't deserve respect. Content wise, every thing written here by that poster really is head-meltingly sub-par, educationally bereft rubbish of the most egregious sort.

/end rant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

10-15 years
    Aegir wrote: »
    Not having read the GFA does not preclude someone from being an "Expert" on it. Just read boards for plenty of examples.

Who has done such a thing, (not read it but claimed to be an expert)?

Who has done such a thing, (not read it but claimed to be an expert)?

It's just Aegir doing what Aegir does, popping into threads to have a pop at somebody or other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

10-15 years
    We were once the island of saints and scholars. Alas, my head is melted here and somebody needs to give this lesson:

"What he did", not "what he done". He/She/They/We did, not "done".
    He/She/They/We have done.

The precise same pattern applies to "saw" and "seen": "What he saw", but "What he has seen"; "I saw", but "I have (I've) seen".

You're = You are. Always. "Your" is used to indicate possession - e.g. your house. It's a very simple distinction.

If people - especially our ragingly proud Irish-hating Anglophiles like Mary above - haven't the self-discipline to learn such remedial words in the Queen's English, then you can be absolutely sure they've put no research/effort into getting facts about what they're (they are) writing about. Lazy. No pride at all. Their posts don't deserve respect. Content wise, every thing written here by that poster really is head-meltingly sub-par, educationally bereft rubbish of the most egregious sort.

/end rant.

Very nice fuaranach,now hold still while I strangle that condescending demon out of your throat:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,219 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

walshb wrote: »
    Born up North allows the person to decide what nationality they are....

An orange loyalist Unionist born in Belfast, for example, will likely claim to be a British national/subject.

Even if said person was born down South they would still likely identify as British, but they would be Irish via their nationality/place of birth.
    That wasn't the point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

geldonhork wrote: »
    Here is my view of the process for reunification:

First you'd have to organise the clean up efforts for the unionist riot (they're fond of doing it as any minor change to the status quo,). The police would probably need to be sent to protect leading republicans from unionist paramilitary attacks.

There wouldn't be much trouble merging the two civil services since the Irish system is based off the British one.

MLAs would probably become de facto TDs until fresh elections could be held. Queens University Belfast would need to appoint senators, as would the major NI parties, the DUP and UUP would lose their reason for existence.

They would need to put in some new seats in the Dáil.

There would likely be a small exodus of unionists leaving the north for the UK (similar to what happened during partition).

There would likely be a reorganisation of the Irish health care system to accomodate a free at the point of use HSE.

A lot of high level civil servants may be out of a job, since there's people in the south who are already doing their job.

The Defence Forces would need to take over British installations and boost membership.

The PSNI would be absorbed into the Gardaí who would be routinely armed.

Irish people would no longer be entitled to vote in British elections, nor claim citizenship outside of nomal means and vice versa.

The street signs would need to be changed.

Unionist marches and bonfires would likely have more stringent regulations.

The education system would need to conform to the Irish system.

The British government probably have a plan or two in a cabinet in Westminster, sitting beside a magnum of champagne.

It could not be easier.

It could'nt be easier to make a balls of the above / have the whole lot go up in flames. The Irish security services shot to kill some Republicans, image the outcry there will be when they shoot to kill some loyalists. And as regards the ability to organise things, what other country in the world can get something so wrong as simply building a childrens hospital. Do not forget our new childrens hospital will cost the taxpayer here double per bed the next most expensive childrens hospital in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

30-40 years
    One thing I do know. In a United Ireland, even if it were to be a land of milk and honey, akin to the Big Rock Candy Mountain, nobody would be happy. Southerners are some of the Joanie’s people on the planet but northerners take it to a whole new level.

In the Big Rock Candy Mountains
    There's a land that's fair and bright
    Where the handouts grow on bushes
    And you sleep out every night
    Where the boxcars all are empty
    And the sun shines every day
    And the birds and the bees
    And the cigarette trees
    The lemonade springs
    Where the bluebird sings
    All the cops have wooden legs
    And the bulldogs all have rubber teeth
    And the hens lay soft-boiled eggs
    The farmers' trees are full of fruit
    And the barns are full of hay
    Oh, I'm bound to go
    Where there ain't no snow
    Where the rain don't fall
    The winds don't blow
    You never change your socks
    And the little streams of alcohol
    Come trickling down the rocks
    The brakemen have to tip their hats
    And the railway bulls are blind
    There's a lake of stew
    And of whiskey too
    You can paddle all around it
    In a big canoe
    The jails are made of tin
    And you can walk right out again
    As soon as you are in
    There ain't no short-handled shovels
    No axes, saws nor picks
    I'm goin' to stay
    Where you sleep all day
    Where they hung the jerk
    That invented work
    I'll see you all this coming fall

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 23,770 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

If it's just for lebensraum i'd be all for a United Ireland. I get queasy about paying their welfare bill though. The north has a very high level of economic inactivity which seriously masks the employment figures. We'd have to pay for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

If it's just for lebensraum i'd be all for a United Ireland. I get queasy about paying their welfare bill though. The north has a very high level of economic inactivity which seriously masks the employment figures. We'd have to pay for that.

I would say there would be rioting up there if they did not get the high levels of dole people get here (double UK levels), so the bill would be a lot higher than the 11 billion per year. Plus then we would bring HSE levels of disorganization to their NHS etc. A total mess.

As we move deeper and deeper into crisis in the EU - A UI represents more and more a viable solution for everyone bar died in the wool partitionists and belligerent Unionists.

It solves the UK's problem
    Solves the EU's problem
    and solves our (Ireland's) problem.
    It also secures the majority wish in NI to stay in the EU.

As we move deeper and deeper into crisis in the EU - A UI represents more and more a viable solution for everyone bar died in the wool partitionists and belligerent Unionists.

It solves the UK's problem
    Solves the EU's problem
    and solves our (Ireland's) problem.
    It also secures the majority wish in NI to stay in the EU.

It doesn't solve any problem and creates more.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Dytalus

15-20 years
    blanch152 wrote: »
    It doesn't solve any problem and creates more.

Now you must know that's not true.

United Ireland solves the border/backstop issue with the UK being out of the Single Market and RoI remaining in it. That right there solves the UK and EU's current major stumbling block with Brexit (assuming that the border issue isn't simply the current excuse as to why the WA hasn't been signed, and that another wouldn't crop up if it became a non-issue).

You can argue that it will create newer problems that outweigh the current ones and leaves all parties (the people of NI and RoI in particular) in a more difficult situation, and that's fair enough (unionist violence, economic hardship across the whole island, etc). But it's a bit of a leap to say it solves none of the problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭NaFirinne

I think Northern Ireland, Scotland and Ireland should come together as one.

Dytalus wrote: »
    Now you must know that's not true.

United Ireland solves the border/backstop issue with the UK being out of the Single Market and RoI remaining in it. That right there solves the UK and EU's current major stumbling block with Brexit (assuming that the border issue isn't simply the current excuse as to why the WA hasn't been signed, and that another wouldn't crop up if it became a non-issue).

You can argue that it will create newer problems that outweigh the current ones and leaves all parties (the people of NI and RoI in particular) in a more difficult situation, and that's fair enough (unionist violence, economic hardship across the whole island, etc). But it's a bit of a leap to say it solves none of the problems.

It doesn't solve the problem of Brexit, it addresses some aspects of it. Ireland would still be much better off if Brexit never happens.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Four months ago I thought maybe in my lifetime.Maybe.

Now the noises I am hearing in the last week or so are suggesting to me maybe a bit sooner than just my lifetime.And that this is being considered as a real possibility.

There's lot of posts here about how hard it will be, how much work there will be, the million reasons why it would be a mess.

But it is like Brexit in that regard -it will a s$%tshow for a period of time, but that does not mean that it cannot happen.And if push comes to shove, that it could happen sooner rather than later.

I mean if you were looking at it in a cold, clinical way, it is the obvious solution to the whole Brexit mess.Cut NI out of Britain, Brexit is solved.The Brits can dance merrily off into the sunset, and fundamentally, we are left with the mess (because there is no way in hell Britain would be helping out once it has exited stage left).Unfortunately, this is a prospect that is now raising it's head.I am detecting mild panic beginning to come from Leinster House in this regard.

None of the bureaucratical mess that could be left behind will matter though, if the violence returns.I just don't think I could stomach the thought of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

NaFirinne wrote: »
    I think Northern Ireland, Scotland and Ireland should come together as one.

Decent enough football team anyway and maybe rugby.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement