Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

10-15 years
    janfebmar wrote: »
    If you engage in 'the politics of the last atrocity', then you would be right. However as the table shows the violence is coming from both communities in equal measure.

Ah, so now it is, ignore it, look over there, because it is intra community?

I said "most of the recent" . You are going back 2 decades.

The other point you miss is that there is more gun violence in this state than in N Ireland. Why do you not devote some of your 20,000 plus posts to solving violence in this state, seeing it is worse than in the jurisdiction next door?
    In recent months,the events in Derry and Fermanagh by republican paramilitaries(bombs, shooting,kneecapping etc. ) have been widely reported in the UK and Europe. All that brings shame on Ireland as unfortunately people will 'tar everyone with the same brush'.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,248 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

RobMc59 wrote: »
    In recent months,the events in Derry and Fermanagh by republican paramilitaries(bombs, shooting,kneecapping etc. ) have been widely reported in the UK and Europe. All that brings shame on Ireland as unfortunately people will 'tar everyone with the same brush'.

I would think the focus in Europe would be more on those who would tamper with the peace. Boris and the Brexiteers.

In fact one of your main newspapers this very morning is lamenting the lack of attention with the headline:

Northern Ireland is already spiralling out of control but no one is paying attention

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/northern-ireland-troubles-violence-police-bomb-dissident-no-deal-brexit-a9075286.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR1bS-CYg877CjFmIViG-wjxKgnYv0suH6aBZvOtT4JRT1Anx4Q-aRSGHm4#Echobox=1566554307

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

RobMc59 wrote: »

Correct, and it reminds me of when I was travelling in foreign far away lands 35 and 40 years ago and strangers would ask me, on discovering I was from Ireland, was I in the IRA? The IRA brought shame on Ireland 35 and 40 years ago, same as it does now with the attacks in Fermanagh and Derry etc.

Correct, and it reminds me of when I was travelling in foreign far away lands 35 and 40 years ago and strangers would ask me, on discovering I was from Ireland, was I in the IRA? The IRA brought shame on Ireland 35 and 40 years ago, same as it does now with the attacks in Fermanagh and Derry etc.

You should have said 'you were from what was formerly known as the British and Irish Empire (if you could have gotten your tongue around it) in the 'British Isles', no 'shame' for you to bear then. ;)

You should have said 'you were from what was formerly known as the British and Irish Empire (if you could have gotten your tongue around it) in the 'British Isles', no 'shame' for you to bear then. ;)

It was never formerly know as the British and Irish empire, you are being even less rational than you usually are now.

• Advertisement

It was never formerly know as the British and Irish empire, you are being even less rational than you usually are now.

Well you could have told them that that was what it was, technically in your 'opinion'.

Tell them you are there to 'educate' them! :cool:

Well you could have told them that that was what it was, technically in your 'opinion'.

Tell them you are there to 'educate' them! :cool:

Or I could be like you and tell them I was from unoccupied Ireland, and told them I was there to educate them on the dastardly British.

Or I could be like you and tell them I was from unoccupied Ireland, and told them I was there to educate them on the dastardly British.

But that would be a lie...Ireland is still partly 'occupied'.

The British actually recognised that in having to enter an international agreement with another sovereign nation to run the bit 'they no longer have a selfish and strategic interest' in. ;)

But that would be a lie...Ireland is still partly 'occupied'.

So you think there is no such thing as Unoccupied Ireland...tell that to a Republican I know who sometimes calls the 26 counties / Republic of Ireland " Unoccupied Ireland."
    He must near as confused as you. I am sure it's the British peoples fault.

So you think there is no such thing as Unoccupied Ireland...tell that to a Republican I know who sometimes calls the 26 counties / Republic of Ireland " Unoccupied Ireland."
    He must near as confused as you. I am sure it's the British peoples fault.

Now janfebmar...you were told about that auld 'misrepresentin' and it a Sunday too!

• Advertisement

Now janfebmar...you were told about that auld 'misrepresentin' and it a Sunday too!

You were caught out again Francie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

15-20 years
    Fionn1952 wrote: »
    You correct Fionn, you debunked her theory conclusively but here she is back claiming it again, as if it had some relevance.
    janfebmar is a past master of misrepresentation of other posters opinions and data.

Francie / Fionn you did not debunk any theory because what I stated about the gun murder rate were facts, not theory.

Sure thing, Jan. I agreed that the gun homicide rate was anomalously high here. You failed to address my point that the OVERALL homicide rates are lower here. Why are you ignoring this?

Are you less dead if you're stabbed to death instead of shot? You may or may not be aware that the UK has a much higher knife crime rate than we do. Why are you ignoring this while trying to suggest you're more likely to be murdered here?

Hi Jan, did you miss this again, or are you going for your usual, 'hide from the question and then a few days later, post the same factoid again' schtick?

You were caught out again Francie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ireland

And I said I was from Ireland. Did you never hear anyone calling this state "unoccupied Ireland", incorrectly or not?

And I said I was from Ireland. Did you never hear anyone calling this state "unoccupied Ireland", incorrectly or not?

What are you on about janfebmar? :confused::confused:

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    Hi Jan, did you miss this again, or are you going for your usual, 'hide from the question and then a few days later, post the same factoid again' schtick?

The last UN report I saw puts Republic of Irelands Homicide rate higher than that of the UK. 1.2 per 100,000 versus 1 per 100,000 for the UK.

Our gun-homicide rate is 6 times that of Britain, but you are correct, knife crime is a problem in Britain, as we saw in recent years for example with some immigrant communities.

What are you on about janfebmar? :confused::confused:

You said a few posts ago it would be a lie if someone (from south of the border) said they were from "Unoccupied Ireland."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I would like to see a UI as long as it doesn't cost me more in tax and there's no violence. Then I read your comments on this thread and others and I hope Ireland is never unified.

What makes you think you - we have a choice about it? , mainland Britain will abandon Northern Ireland sooner rather than later due to the seismic change brexit will bring.

Violence will likely follow for decades, a loyalist terror campaign will take years to put down, whether on paper we can afford any of what's involved is irrelevant

If Northern Ireland is "occupied" according to certain Republicans, what is the 26 counties? Are the British forces here? Hence the same oddball who can call NIreland "occupied" (by "de Brits") can find that the 26 counties are "unoccupied."
    In other words, what is there to stop some oddball calling the 26 counties "unoccupied", if he finds the 6 counties "occupied"?

Not having a very good day, are you Francie?

• Advertisement

If Northern Ireland is "occupied" according to certain Republicans, what is the 26 counties? Are the British forces here? Hence the same oddball who can call NIreland "occupied" (by "de Brits") can find that the 26 counties are unoccupied. Or what is there to stop some oddball calling the 26 counties "unoccupied" if he finds the 6 counties "occupied"?

Not having a very good day, are you Francie?

You sure you don't want to edit that post again...coz it makes no sense to me. :confused::confused::confused:

It is your own comrades who use the term "occupied" sometimes.

It is your own comrades who use the term "occupied" sometimes.

Whereas 'unoccupied Ireland' is a term only used by you and your 'comrades' - home insurance agents. :pac::pac:

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    What makes you think you - we have a choice about it? , mainland Britain will abandon Northern Ireland sooner rather than later due to the seismic change brexit will bring.

Violence will likely follow for decades, a loyalist terror campaign will take years to put down, whether on paper we can afford any of what's involved is irrelevant

It does bewilder me that some people can just ignore what is very clearly happening here.
    The Sunday Times have again revealed plans to send UK policemen and women to the border.
    It has to be evident to anyone with a smattering of knowledge of the history of Ireland, what a spectacularly clueless thing to do, that would be. Of course you will get a queue of 'Irish' people who will doff the hats and join in, blaming the Irish for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

It does bewilder me that some people can just ignore what is very clearly happening here.
    The Sunday Times have again revealed plans to send UK policemen and women to the border.
    It has to be evident to anyone with a smattering of knowledge of the history of Ireland, what a spectacularly clueless thing to do, that would be. Of course you will get a queue of 'Irish' people who will doff the hats and join in, blaming the Irish for it.

You’re just demonstrating that you are living in francieland and can’t accept realities
    If the french were sending french police to their border would you be surprised.
    You accepted in gfa that ni is part of uk until the people of ni decide they want to leave combined with the people of the south saying they want it as part of their country. So why would you be surprised if uk police staffed the uk border?

Whereas 'unoccupied Ireland' is a term only used you..:

No, I first heard it from a Republican like yourself, who told a visitor from outside this jurisdiction to remember he was in "unoccupied Ireland" now.;)

downcow wrote: »
    You’re just demonstrating that you are living in francieland and can’t accept realities
    If the french were sending french police to their border would you be surprised.
    You accepted in gfa that ni is part of uk until the people of ni decide they want to leave combined with the people of the south saying they want it as part of their country. So why would you be surprised if uk police staffed the uk border?

I am 'surprised' by the British government sending young men and women into a situation that might result in their deaths?

Frankly, looking at history, that never 'surprises' me downcow. It 'angers' me would be a better word for how I feel about it and like the sympathy I felt for the young bewildered squadies I met on the border back during the last conflict/war, I feel for the unfortunates sent into this tinderbox.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

30-40 years
    I wouldn't be too concerned if I was a unionist about any unity poll. FF/FG have no interest in such a thing. SF are not relevant.

I am 'surprised' by the British government sending young men and women into a situation that might result in their deaths?

Frankly, looking at history, that never 'surprises' me downcow. It 'angers' me would be a better word for how I feel about it and like the sympathy I felt for the young bewildered squadies I met on the border back during the last conflict/war, I feel for the unfortunates sent into this tinderbox.

If you felt sympathy for the squaddies, why did you condone your pIRA ? It was mainly them and the INLA who blew them up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,599 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'm happy enough for the Brits to keep forking out £11 billion a year to keep the lights on in NI.

Anyway we have enough problems here to deal with without having to put up with angry prods who outstayed their welcome by about 400 years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement