Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,253 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    "Securing those rights" is a political ploy. No rights were being diminished by Brexit. Leo knew that the propaganda machines would be deployed in full against him if he did nothing so he did something meaningless to deflect. Standard operating procedures for politicians. I mean the opposition operated to default, calling on him to do it.

So the resistance to signing up to the WA from the UK could just be a political ploy too..all meaningless.
    I suppose you think (like the DUP) that the GFA is just a political ploy too.

Interesting that one of FG's main protagonists on here seems to be diverging from them over this 'ploy'. You were a way back at the beginning one of the few rubbishing the idea of any border in the Irish Sea. Very interesting indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

So the resistance to signing up to the WA from the UK could just be a political ploy too..all meaningless.
    I suppose you think (like the DUP) that the GFA is just a political ploy too.

Interesting that one of FG's main protagonists on here seems to be diverging from them over this 'ploy'. You were a way back at the beginning one of the few rubbishing the idea of any border in the Irish Sea. Very interesting indeed.

More tiresome extrapolating something I didn't say from something I did say. I think that it is very childish that you refuse to discuss issues on their merits and disingenuously twist other posts. Here are examples just from the post above:

(1) I said that the reassurances about Irishness in the WA were not needed, and were a political ploy. That doesn't mean that the whole WA is a political ploy except in a twisted worldview.

(2) I didn't rubbish a border in the Irish Sea, I said it would be a worse outcome for Northern Ireland than a border on this island. I also said it would be a better outcome for us in the South.

(3) I am not one of FG's main protagonists, as you well know

(4) I do not think that the GFA is a political ploy.

It is quite sad to see someone who posts here night and day about the same topic refuse to learn a single thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

20-30 years
    In an all ireland economy the taxes flow to government of the whole island. Shouldn’t have to explain that.

I think they mean if the corporation tax for the north was reduced it would mean even less tax revenue the north gives as it stands.

But it would be obvious(look at what happened when the south reduced its corporation tax) that overall a lower corporation tax for the north would boost its economy

ittakestwo wrote: »
    I think they mean if the corporation tax for the north was reduced it would mean even less tax revenue the north gives as it stands.

But it would be obvious(look at what happened when the south reduced its corporation tax) that overall a lower corporation tax for the north would boost its economy

The boost is potentially a longer term gain, but would be dependent on inward investment actually happening which would be dependent on political stability which would be dependent on unionist acceptance of a united Ireland which would be dependent on at least a 65% vote in favour.

A lot of ifs and buts before you would see a rise in revenue. In the meantime, another big financial hole for the Southern taxpayer to fill.

More tiresome extrapolating something I didn't say from something I did say. I think that it is very childish that you refuse to discuss issues on their merits and disingenuously twist other posts. Here are examples just from the post above:

(1) I said that the reassurances about Irishness in the WA were not needed, and were a political ploy. That doesn't mean that the whole WA is a political ploy except in a twisted worldview.
    You have said nothing as to WHY they aren't needed blanch. Don't be accusing people of being disingenuous when you won't say what it is you mean.
    (2) I didn't rubbish a border in the Irish Sea, I said it would be a worse outcome for Northern Ireland than a border on this island. I also said it would be a better outcome for us in the South.

You were on the first or second thread arguing vehemently against the idea of an Irish Sea border. You have not been seen in a long time on the Brexit threads arguing that anymore. Have you changed your mind...is a Hard land border a better outcome?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

10-15 years
    ittakestwo wrote: »

FDI would bloom exponentially in United ireland. Multinationals already salivating at the thought of having a foot in either side of the door access to Europe in Ireland and access to the uk through NI. It would be an incomparably huge boost for a region long neglected.

They need to address the education system up there but in a UI that would be fixed. Currently catholic kids outperform Protestant kids and Catholics go through to third level qualifications by more than 30% of their Protestant peers.

That’s happening right now. The uk which suddenly claims to care so much about Northern Ireland has for too long ignored and abandoned it.

I’d love blanch or someone to outline one actual societal real world every day down side to a UI that isn’t bombs and especially not money when it’s clearly established we can not only afford it, it would be an incredible boost for the country as a whole in that scenario

10-15 years
    Just to add.

Blanch. You’re in this thread much earlier and in others saying the idea would never even be entertained and the conversation would never even happen.

We have Leo coveney the brits et al talking about it now regularly.

FDI would bloom exponentially in United ireland.

Funny, this is what I mean when I talk about taxing unicorns and rainbows in a United Ireland. Wishful thinking will not make FDI happen.

You have said nothing as to WHY they aren't needed blanch. Don't be accusing people of being disingenuous when you won't say what it is you mean.

You were on the first or second thread arguing vehemently against the idea of an Irish Sea border. You have not been seen in a long time on the Brexit threads arguing that anymore. Have you changed your mind...is a Hard land border a better outcome?

I said that for Northern Ireland, the best outcome was no Brexit, the second best outcome was a border on this island and the third best outcome was a border in the Irish Sea.

I said that for the South, the second two were reversed.

I also said that no Brexit was by far and away the best option, and I was arguing against either of the other two.

Just to add.

Blanch. You’re in this thread much earlier and in others saying the idea would never even be entertained and the conversation would never even happen.

We have Leo coveney the brits et al talking about it now regularly.

We have Coveney and Varadkar saying that a UI poll is premature. What difference is that to me?

• Advertisement

10-15 years
    Funny, this is what I mean when I talk about taxing unicorns and rainbows in a United Ireland. Wishful thinking will not make FDI happen.

You either can’t read a paragraph or are selectively quoting again.
    We just today found out €830 billion passed through Ireland in profits to US multinationals based here. Based here. Employment. Dodgy government blind eye to the loophole aside it’s a huge boost to the economy here and had been since the 80s
    I’ll leave it there.

There’s no point talking to you blanch if you can’t debate in good faith. Take the dim view blinkers off an have a look at reality

You either can’t read a paragraph or are selectively quoting again.
    We just today found out €830 billion passed through Ireland in profits to US multinationals based here. Based here. Employment. Dodgy government blind eye to the loophole aside it’s a huge boost to the economy here and had been since the 80s
    I’ll leave it there.

There’s no point talking to you blanch if you can’t debate in good faith. Take the dim view blinkers off an have a look at reality

All of the economists are worrying about our over-reliance on FDI and corporation tax, yet you seem to think it will increase exponentially in a UI.

My blinkers may be on, but at least I am not seeing unicorns.

10-15 years
    Remember the many times you said the conversation wouldn’t even take place blanch? Here’s our pal Macron only last week and he said this to Boris

ECp9QhcXsAAgX6R?format=jpg&name=medium

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

10-15 years
    Remember the many times you said the conversation wouldn’t even take place blanch? Here’s our pal Macron only last week and he said this to Boris

ECp9QhcXsAAgX6R?format=jpg&name=medium
    Jaysus , if Leo sees that it will be brown trousers and brown socks for Leo .

Leo and co. , have been big-ing up the dissidents lately . I suppose they will soon roll out the Blue-shirts again .

Will Leo have a brigade of his own ?

10-15 years
    blinding wrote: »
    Jaysus , if Leo sees that it will be brown trousers and brown socks for Leo .

Leo and co. , have been big-ing up the dissidents lately . I suppose they will soon roll out the Blue-shirts again .

Will Leo have a brigade of his own ?

The cool sock brigade probably :)

I’m not sure Leo William be Taoiseach when this eventually rolls around.

I do always wonder what happened the FF position paper on UIA they commissioned. We know it was finished. Probably put in a drawer until Brexit or the aftermath.

10-15 years
    *just to add where are the ‘Leo will do whatever Macron and Merkel tell him’ brigade in light of the above quote.

You’d wonder

10-15 years
    The cool sock brigade probably :)

I’m not sure Leo William be Taoiseach when this eventually rolls around.

I do always wonder what happened the FF position paper on UIA they commissioned. We know it was finished. Probably put in a drawer until Brexit or the aftermath.
    Any day now FF / FG will be racing North to back up the Diss-ers . Its the final piece in the jigsaw for the Diss-ers .

Mind you the Diss-ers will be so busy looking behind them that they will be actually making progress only in a Southward direction .:D:D

Pure Genius from FFG .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

15-20 years
    Might be worth holding off on winning imaginary arguments against FF/FG there lads.

10-15 years
    *just to add where are the ‘Leo will do whatever Macron and Merkel tell him’ brigade in light of the above quote.

You’d wonder
    With Macron , Merkel and Leo on the donkey a United Ireland has never been nearer . Leo should be aware his socks will be rubbing along on the floor .

10-15 years
    I’m schtum on both until after brexit. Can’t fault Leo or Simon in all this brexit stuff. Coveney particularly has been brilliant.

Both have made very pro UI statements too. Coveney more so. The language from them around it changed noticeably the minute it appeared as a consequence of Brexit.

• Advertisement

10-15 years
    I’m schtum on both until after brexit. Can’t fault Leo or Simon in all this brexit stuff. Coveney particularly has been brilliant.

Both have made very pro UI statements too. Coveney more so. The language from them around it changed noticeably the minute it appeared as a consequence of Brexit.
    They are definitely putting on the Blue-shirts in private to put that pep in their step . One of these days they will pop out in full Blue-Shirt Regalia . The outfits are dry cleaned and pressed ready to go .

10-15 years
    I dont get the reference. They become fascists?

10-15 years
    I dont get the reference. They become fascists?
    You need to educate yourself on FG’s Blue-Shirt history .
    They haven’t gone away you know :eek:

10-15 years

Oh I know about that. Don’t believe for second they’d go that way again if that’s actually what you’re suggesting. Money is their new god now. They’ll never have that or any other false ideaology ever again I don’t think.

It wouldn’t wash here in Ireland anyways. You’ll never see that gain traction here. Look up renuas election results if in doubt.

Somebody has had too much or not enough extra strong coffee this morning. :rolleyes:

10-15 years
    Somebody has had too much or not enough extra strong coffee this morning. :rolleyes:
    It seems remiss of you Francie not to have educated yourself on FG’s Blue-Shirt days .

Those who have not learned from history are doomed to repeat it .

10-15 years
    It seems remiss of you Francie not to have educated yourself on FG’s Blue-Shirt days .

Can’t tell if you’re serious.

I know all about it.

I also know and recognise the effects of coffee deprivation or over use. The secret is moderation - like everything in life...including political thought.

10-15 years
    I know all about it.

I also know and recognise the effects of coffee deprivation or over use. The secret is moderation - like everything in life...including political thought.
    Was coffee greatly imbibed during FG’s Blue-Shirt Manoeuvres ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Leo and co. , have been big-ing up the dissidents lately .

Have to agree with you there. They got in to trouble, and will have lost some votes, for making excuses for the dissidents when they set up the bomb trap in Co. Fermanagh recently.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement