Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,257 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

janfebmar wrote: »
    LOL. I said the Larne gun smuggling was wrong and should not have happened. It was well over 100 years ago. Now, when are you going to condemn the paramilitaries that operated in living memory?

No you didn't and don't tell more lies.
    You claimed that because he didn't use the gun he was not a paramilitary. :):)

Which is a bit like saying that because the Americans sail a aircraft carrier up to your coast they are not intimidating you, if they don't bomb you from it.

As my granny might say, 'have a titter of wit lassie'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,127 ✭✭✭Odhinn

And there were plenty of people killed by republicans too before the civil rights marches, so there are two sides to every story.

Yes, but one of those sides had 40-50 years to create a territory that valued both its communities and - quite deliberately - chose to create a sectarian bigoted state instead. Much like apartheid south africa, it was never going to end well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

10-15 years
    Is there any point in Re-unification just to be a vassal sate of the Eu ?

No way Thomas Clarke or James Connolly would have let Ireland subjugate itself to the Eu .

Swapping subjugation to one Empire to the Catholic Church to the Eu is just shameful .

Paddy and Biddy are still slow learners .

blinding wrote: »
    Is there any point in Re-unification just to be a vassal sate of the Eu ?

No way Thomas Clarke or James Connolly would have let Ireland subjugate itself to the Eu .

Swapping subjugation to one Empire to the Catholic Church to the Eu is just shameful .

Paddy and Biddy are still slow learners .

Apart from the fact the world is an entirely different place in commerce terms, not to mention power(imperial empires a thing of the past now) terms from Clarke and Connolly's time, I get the feeling from reading about Connolly that he might have been interested in the concept of the EU. He would certainly have pause for thought watching it defend Irish interests this last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Odhinn wrote: »
    Yes, but one of those sides had 40-50 years to create a territory that valued both its communities and - quite deliberately - chose to create a sectarian bigoted state instead. .

Which state are you talking about? The state where the minority increased in numbers or the state where the minority decreased in numbers?
    I get the feeling from reading about Connolly that he might have been interested in the concept of the EU. He would certainly have pause for thought watching it defend Irish interests this last few years.

Like the way the EU, only 1% of its population, to sign up for more than half (was it) of the bank debt after the bust?

• Advertisement

10-15 years
    Apart from the fact the world is an entirely different place in commerce terms, not to mention power(imperial empires a thing of the past now) terms from Clarke and Connolly's time, I get the feeling from reading about Connolly that he might have been interested in the concept of the EU. He would certainly have pause for thought watching it defend Irish interests this last few years.
    No chance these men would have sold their Country to the Eu . No self respecting person would sell their Country to the Eu after the fight to free ( partially free , 26 counties ) itself from the British Empire .

Nobody is that dumb .

blinding wrote: »
    No chance these men would have sold their Country to the Eu . No self respecting person would sell their Country to the Eu after the fight to free ( partially free , 26 counties ) itself from the British Empire .

Nobody is that dumb .

First of all those men would have to agree with you that the 'country was sold'. They were real hats back then, not tinfoil ones.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

10-15 years
    Trying to point score a hundreds years back

While the DUP are trying to destroy the Good Friday agreement right now

Anyone want to defend them doing that?
    Or how they can be stopped?
    Probably not.

Like the way the EU, only 1% of its population, to sign up for more than half (was it) of the bank debt after the bust?

You are the very poster who again and again and again defends and pines for the Empire, which brought death, destruction and conflict war to this island to this very day. 'Look at infrastructure they left behind' you claim.

Well look at what our membership of the EU has brought...similar? Yeh...right. :rolleyes:

Well look at what our membership of the EU has brought...similar? Yeh...right. :rolleyes:

Well, in the past number of years, according to the Examiner "Ireland has paid 42% of the total cost of the European banking crisis, at a cost of close to €9,000 per person, according to Eurostat. The figures show that while the banking crisis cost Berlin €40bn, Ireland is liable for €41bn. With fractions of the population and GDP of the EU’s biggest state, the crisis has cost Ireland 25% of GDP and Germany 1.5%."

Who knows what the future holds, with the proposed new EU army (as demanded by France and Germany) only years away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

15-20 years
    The new version of the IRA will rise against this far-right British rule of Northern Ireland. The new IRA murdered Lyra McKee last April.

With an expected 30,000 newly unemployed in Northern Ireland post Brexit, and Johnson shutting down Parliament to ensure no backstop, there are bleak times ahead.

This is the new PM of the UK on Leo Varadkar: “Why isn’t he called Murphy like all the rest of them.” Johnson cares nothing for Northern Ireland.

Dark, dark days ahead. A new border and a return to violence is certain.

I agree with this, and there will be many multiples of that 30,000 in the Republic of Ireland particular and the world is about to enter a catastrophic recession unlike anything paralleled before. Ireland will be a vastly different place by 2025 and there will be a United Ireland I would think. I would hate to see the return to violence but it seems inevitable due to the political statemate, the Good Friday Agreement is dead once the border closes.

Well, in the past number of years, according to the Examiner "Ireland has paid 42% of the total cost of the European banking crisis, at a cost of close to €9,000 per person, according to Eurostat. The figures show that while the banking crisis cost Berlin €40bn, Ireland is liable for €41bn. With fractions of the population and GDP of the EU’s biggest state, the crisis has cost Ireland 25% of GDP and Germany 1.5%."

Who knows what the future holds, with the proposed new EU army (as demanded by France and Germany) only years away.

Typical jan...unable to look at the bigger picture. You do exactly the same thing about the British Empire, only the opposite way...look at the good stuff and ignore all the bad.

Hypocritical nonsense again.

Typical jan...unable to look at the bigger picture. You do exactly the same thing about the British Empire, only the opposite way...look at the good stuff and ignore all the bad.

I can actually see the good and bad side of both, although they span different eras.

I can actually see the good and bad side of both, although they span different eras.

Sure you can jan. Funny that whenever Ireland's Brexit stance comes up you come out with anti EU stuff. Is that because you see it as us standing up for ourselves or standing up to The UK? After all you are still smouldering with contempt about Dev standing up to them in our interests too.

Sure you can jan. Funny that whenever Ireland's Brexit stance comes up you come out with anti EU stuff. Is that because you see it as us standing up for ourselves or standing up to The UK? After all you are still smouldering with contempt about Dev standing up to them in our interests too.

Wrong again Francie. The Eurostat figure that Ireland has paid 42% of the total cost of the European banking crisis, at a cost of close to €9,000 per person, came from 2013, long before Brexit. And you seem to have an obsession about Dev, you keep bringing him up in conversation. Are you still mad he executed some captured IRA men during the war?

Wrong again Francie. The Eurostat figure that Ireland has paid 42% of the total cost of the European banking crisis, at a cost of close to €9,000 per person, came from 2013, long before Brexit.
    What has that got to do with you bringing it up as soon as Ireland's Brexit stance and the rest of the EU's support for us, comes into the conversation?
    And you seem to have an obsession about Dev, you keep bringing him up in conversation. Are you still mad he executed some captured IRA men during the war?

Ha. I was referencing your legendary obsession with Dev jan.

What has that got to do with you bringing it up as soon as Ireland's Brexit stance and the rest of the EU's support for us, comes into the conversation?

It was you who alleged the EU did " defend Irish interests this last few years."
    I pointed out , Well if you mean screw the Irish taxpayer?
    ( In the past number of years, according to the Examiner "Ireland has paid 42% of the total cost of the European banking crisis, at a cost of close to €9,000 per person, according to Eurostat. The figures show that while the banking crisis cost Berlin €40bn, Ireland is liable for €41bn. With fractions of the population and GDP of the EU’s biggest state, the crisis has cost Ireland 25% of GDP and Germany 1.5%." ).

And who will suffer most when the EU refuses to do a deal with the UK? Yes, Ireland, not the fatcats in Brussels.

Ha. I was referencing your legendary obsession with Dev jan.

It was you who brought up Dev yet again, it is you who is obsessed with Dev.
    You have not forgiven the Iron Man for killing - executing - 6 captured IRA men in prison, which even Mrs Thatcher did not do.

10-15 years
    It was you who alleged the EU did " defend Irish interests this last few years."
    ( In the past number of years, according to the Examiner "Ireland has paid 42% of the total cost of the European banking crisis, at a cost of close to €9,000 per person, according to Eurostat. The figures show that while the banking crisis cost Berlin €40bn, Ireland is liable for €41bn. With fractions of the population and GDP of the EU’s biggest state, the crisis has cost Ireland 25% of GDP and Germany 1.5%." ).

And who will suffer most when the EU refuses to do a deal with the UK? Yes, Ireland, not the fatcats in Brussels.

You have not forgiven the Iron Man for killing - executing - 6 captured IRA men in prison, which even Mrs Thatcher did not do.

What about those poor thousands of innocent men women and children who died at the hands of the evil British empire invading America but the struggle went on
    And they won their independence from that corrupt murderous state.

They even have a day in America that celebrates it.

While you’re being utterly ridiculous with the warping of history Jan

What about those poor thousands of innocent men women and children who died at the hands of the evil British empire invading America but the struggle went on
    And they won their independence from that corrupt murderous state.

I suppose according to you, they should have left America uncolonised, and urged other European countries to cease colonising around the world too. You really are very silly.

It WILL be us janfebmar who will force the UK to do a deal...because they have to do a 'deal'.

We are in the power seat this time...not the UK.

Harking back to your obsessional rants does not help your argument here.

• Advertisement

I suppose according to you, they should have left America uncolonised, and urged other European countries to cease colonising around the world too. You really are very silly.

We are proud that we began the end of the 'empire' we were a part of janfebmar. We don't stand up for colonisation, like some. It was fundamentally wrong whatever grew out of it.

10-15 years
    1969...I bet they rue the day they let the papists have the vote

https://twitter.com/frankieboyle/status/1167087479062781953?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

15-20 years
    I'll just grab the popcorn and await Jan's inevitable attempts to justify the systemic issues in the North.

I'm expecting him to go with the, 'poor Protestants were discriminated against too', because that obviously makes it OK to discriminate against Catholics.

10-15 years
    Fionn1952 wrote: »
    I'll just grab the popcorn and await Jan's inevitable attempts to justify the systemic issues in the North.

I'm expecting him to go with the, 'poor Protestants were discriminated against too', because that obviously makes it OK to discriminate against Catholics.

Nah it’ll be one of the dev rants. Or the one about the Nazis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

15-20 years
    Fionn1952 wrote: »

Double points for, 'notorious Dev' or 'Iron Dev'

Or that it's all worth it 'for the infrastructure they leave behind' outta the goodness of their hearts. :)

10-15 years
    Didn’t Churchill offer a United Ireland to De Valera during the Second World War and Dev refused the offer .

It looks like FF/Fg/Lab were quite happy to divvy up all the goodies in the 26 Counties between themselves and forget about the 6 Counties .

In the event of a United Ireland both sides in the North would have to get a fair go and possibly in the short term some little advantage . No way FF/FG/Lab would ever go for that . Signs is , that they have no practical interest in a United Ireland .

The Brits could get Leo to do Socks Summersaults by ‘ offering / threatening ‘ to give him the 6 Counties as a ‘ Present ‘.

10-15 years
    You were yesterday saying FG were about to go full blueshift fascist *any minute now* so forgive me if I disregard your posts.

1969...I bet they rue the day they let the papists have the vote
    There were plenty of Catholics in N Ireland who had the vote long before that, but do not let truth get in the way of your propaganda.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

It WILL be us janfebmar who will force the UK to do a deal...because they have to do a 'deal'. We are in the power seat this time...not the UK.

Dangerous and delusional line of thought, if you ask me!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement