Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

15-20 years
    janfebmar wrote: »
    1969...I bet they rue the day they let the papists have the vote
    There were plenty of Catholics in N Ireland who had the vote long before that, but do not let truth get in the way of your propaganda.

Called it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    Called it!

As a method of deflection, I knew you would make a personal attack instead of discussing the subject matter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

10-15 years
    BarryD2 wrote: »
    Dangerous and delusional line of thought, if you ask me!

It’s a fact though. We’re in the EU. The uk is in an utterly diminished and powerless position in the trade talks coming. And they put themselves in that position remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,257 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blinding wrote: »
    Didn’t Churchill offer a United Ireland to De Valera during the Second World War and Dev refused the offer .

Would you have trusted them to deliver?
    This is a very fair and comprehensive study of all that was in play around the WW2. It is worth a read if only to quash the British centric view of our role that janfebmar loves to give us all.

https://www.drb.ie/essays/neutrality-by-ordeal

As can be guessed, the nuances and pressures on everybody were many and varied. What the author has to say about Dublin's view of Churchill's offer is interesting too.
    But there had been many such exchanges, not all in public, many playing around with the idea of promising an end to partition if Ireland were to join the war, and culminating in the “a nation once again” message just after US entry into the war, which could be read as yet another hint at the end of partition but which was immediately interpreted by other British representatives as nothing of the kind. The more realistic interpretation in Dublin, indeed, was that it had resulted from an excess of celebration by Churchill: “our opinion was that Churchill had been imbibing heavily that night”, in Walshe’s words.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

10-15 years
    You were yesterday saying FG were about to go full blueshift fascist *any minute now* so forgive me if I disregard your posts.
    Just reminding people of FG’s Fascist Roots .

• Advertisement

10-15 years
    Would you have trusted them to deliver?
    This is a very fair and comprehensive study of all that was in play around the WW2. It is worth a read if only to quash the British centric view of our role that janfebmar loves to give us all.

https://www.drb.ie/essays/neutrality-by-ordeal

As can be guessed, the nuances and pressures on everybody were many and varied. What the author has to say about Dublin's view of Churchill's offer is interesting too.
    Dev did turn down the offer without consideration . Says a lot about FF/FG/Lab's mindset .

10-15 years
    Just reminding people of FG’s Fascist Roots .

That wasn’t at their root though. They went through a short phase of it for sure but the party predates that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

15-20 years
    janfebmar wrote: »
    Called it!

As a method of deflection, I knew you would make a personal attack instead of discussing the subject matter.

Oh the irony! The lady who can never answer a straight question accusing others of deflection.

It's simple, you're so predictable that you don't even need to post a reply, everyone already knows what you're going to say beforehand.

10-15 years
    That wasn’t at their root though. They went through a short phase of it for sure but the party predates that.
    Not as long as the Nazi’s alright . We were lucky .

10-15 years
    Oh the irony! The lady who can never answer a straight question accusing others of deflection.

It's simple, you're so predictable that you don't even need to post a reply, everyone already knows what you're going to say beforehand.

Seriously though. I’ve heard of a fabled ignore button on boards where you can vanquish the perpetually annoying and their same tired circular nonsensical arguments.

Can you please good sir direct me to its whereabouts because I’m only dying to vanish that poster out of my eyeline

• Advertisement

10-15 years
    Not as long as the Nazi’s alright . We were lucky .

To be fair it they’d dropped it before the full rise of the Nazis. It was more based on the Italian model as far as I know.

And dev refusing to let ireland be used in WWII was ultimately a really wise move. Nothing to with Fg ff labour as you repeatedly try to claim. Bizarrely.

10-15 years
    To be fair it they’d dropped it before the full rise of the Nazis. It was more based on the Italian model as far as I know.

And dev refusing to let ireland be used in WWII was ultimately a really wise move. Nothing to with Fg ff labour as you repeatedly try to claim. Bizarrely.
    Only based themselves on the Italian Fascists:eek:

We had the luck of the Irish that they grew out of that phase !:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

10-15 years
    Trying to point score a hundreds years back

While the DUP are trying to destroy the Good Friday agreement right now

Anyone want to defend them doing that?
    Or how they can be stopped?
    Probably not.
    Its astonishing you talk of point scoring about 100 years ago when all most republcan posters want to discuss is events from the dim distant past-i believe the old adage "practice what you preach"springs to mind stop moaning.

10-15 years
    RobMc59 wrote: »
    Its astonishing you talk of point scoring about 100 years ago when all most republcan posters want to discuss is events from the dim distant past-i believe the old adage "practice what you preach"springs to mind stop moaning.

Rob I’ve been following this and other relevant threads you yourself at involved in and it is by a great distance the two Same posters dragging up constant what about them! And utterly and laughably obvious derailments as their MO of posting. By an order of magnitude greater than anyone else. People have left the conversation over the same two posters and I’m sure that’s actually the goal they wish to achieve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

It’s a fact though. We’re in the EU. The uk is in an utterly diminished and powerless position in the trade talks coming. And they put themselves in that position remember.

Maybe, but we are and always have been a small country in relation to above. The idea that we wield any real power is daft and delusional.

10-15 years
    BarryD2 wrote: »
    Maybe, but we are and always have been a small country in relation to above. The idea that we wield any real power is daft and delusional.

Barry you’ve been schooled repeatedly about this in at least two other threads by my count but just for you I’ll say it again.

Ireland’s a member of the EU. And who anywhere said we wield power? We speak as one as an EU member. There’s the power. If you haven’t gotten that basic grasp of how all this works I’d wonder why you bother taking part in those conversations at all as you’re out of your depth by a long way.

I’d also refer you to the Democrats and Republicans in ways and means standing up for the GFA. That’s actually real clout and power the British have nothing much as like in the US l Washington in particular

10-15 years
    Barry you’ve been schooled repeatedly about this in at least two other threads by my count but just for you I’ll say it again.

Ireland’s a member of the EU. And who anywhere said we wield power? We speak as one as an EU member. There’s the power. If you haven’t gotten that basic grasp of how all this works I’d wonder why you bother taking part in those conversations at all as you’re out of your depth by a long way.

I’d also refer you to the Democrats and Republicans in ways and means standing up for the GFA. That’s actually real clout and power the British have nothing much as like in the US l Washington in particular
    Leo does as he is told by the Eu . This is the 26 Counties position in the Eu .

10-15 years

Can you provide example of anything the EU has ordered leo to do?
    Ireland insisted on the backstop being implemented into th withdrawal agreement to protect the GFA. The EU Agreed although unhappily and then saw the importance.

We’re as equal a partner as every other Eu state. More so in some cases

One example of the Eu ordering leo to do anything.

I’ll wait

10-15 years
    Ireland insisted on the backstop being implemented into th withdrawal agreement to protect the GFA. The EU Agreed although unhappily and then saw the importance.

I’ll wait
    Everything Leo does is to please his Eu Masters . He is such a sock puppet that he will never upset his Masters .

Where is he by the way . Have the Eu ordered him to his kennel ?

10-15 years
    Everything Leo does is to please his Eu Masters . He is such a sock puppet that he will never upset his Masters .

Where is he by the way . Have the Eu ordered him to his kennel ?

Yeah you’re taking the mickey. You can’t answer a simple question about your nonsense statement. Good luck with that.

• Advertisement

10-15 years
    Yeah you’re taking the mickey. You can’t answer a simple question about your nonsense statement. Good luck with that.
    Where has Leo ever seriously and on an important matter stood up to the Eu ?

Don’t mind his posing and grandstanding . Leo will never stand up to the Eu on any matter of importance to the Eu . It might affect the Banking job he will get when he moves on . Just like the other ex senior Irish politicians .

Remarkable , how many senior Irish politicians have got big jobs working for banks = payback for services rendered .

Leo will be the next .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

10-15 years

I’ll wait
    The EU seized on the backstop with relish as it sees it as the thing that may reverse brexit.i would be happy with that situation before my statement is twisted.
    The main powers within the EU are Germany and France and what they say goes.If you say all countries are equal you're fooling yourself imo.

10-15 years
    gerry942 wrote: »
    You're all kidding yourselves.

It will happen within the next 10 years due to the fear of a hard border.
    Leo and the Blue-Shirts will storm North to re-enforse the Dissos .

Sure hasn’t Leo and co. started threatening the Brits with the Dissos already:eek:

10-15 years
    Where has Leo ever seriously and on an important matter stood up to the Eu ?

Don’t mind his posing and grandstanding . Leo will never stand up to the Eu on any matter of importance to the Eu . It might affect the Banking job he will get when he moves on . Just like the other ex senior Irish politicians .

Remarkable , how many senior Irish politicians have got big jobs working for banks = payback for services rendered .

Leo will be the next .

They haven’t ordered him to do anything that he would have to stand up to them

Please provide even one example?

Following your logic they’ll order him to reunite Ireland when the time comes.

They can’t and won’t.

The Eu doesn’t get involved in internal matters of its member states.

You seem ignorant of that simple fact

10-15 years
    They haven’t ordered him to do anything that he would have to stand up to them

Please provide even one example?

Following your logic they’ll order him to reunite Ireland when the time comes.

They can’t and won’t.

The Eu doesn’t get involved in internal matters of its member states.

You seem ignorant of that simple fact
    Leo is an Eu lapdog . This will get him a big banking job when the Irish people get fed up of him .

He will join the lucrative Bank job circle just like all the Irish Eu lapdogs before him . They at least claim their 13 pieces of silver . Bought and sold like cheap thrash .

• Registered Users Posts: 69,257 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Leo is an Eu lapdog . This will get him a big banking job when the Irish people get fed up of him .

He will join the lucrative Bank job circle just like all the Irish Eu lapdogs before him . They at least claim their 13 pieces of silver . Bought and sold like cheap thrash .

This is getting like an Alf Garnett comedy here.

10-15 years
    This is getting like an Alf Garnett comedy here.
    Leo is funny in his own way . The Irish people are beginning to tire of his schtick . Leo will make sure to have a nice banking job lined up when he gets moved on . Just like the other Irish politicians before him .

10-15 years
    RobMc59 wrote: »
    The EU seized on the backstop with relish as it sees it as the thing that may reverse brexit.i would be happy with that situation before my statement is twisted.
    The main powers within the EU are Germany and France and what they say goes.If you say all countries are equal you're fooling yourself imo.

Wrong again rob.
    If france and Germany wanted to reverse Brexit it wouldn’t be happening. They don’t run the EU you can fool yourself into thinking that but it’s just the usual deluded brexiter hysteria. Stop reading the tabloids pal.

• Site Banned Posts: 1 gerry942

10-15 years
    Wrong again rob.
    If france and Germany wanted to reverse Brexit it wouldn’t be happening. They don’t run the EU you can fool yourself into thinking that but it’s just the usual deluded brexiter hysteria. Stop reading the tabloids pal.

Stop moaning FFS.

• Advertisement

10-15 years
    gerry942 wrote: »
    Stop moaning FFS.

Good one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement