Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,257 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blinding wrote: »
    Leo is funny in his own way . The Irish people are beginning to tire of his schtick . Leo will make sure to have a nice banking job lined up when he gets moved on . Just like the other Irish politicians before him .

And no other former leader anywhere, took a nice retirement job?

Leo has his faults but I am not seeing anything unusual about him to be honest.

He is managing to keep the entire government on message over Brexit and so far, is hands down, winning a fairly nasty powerplay with his British counterpart.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

10-15 years
    RobMc59 wrote: »
    The EU seized on the backstop with relish as it sees it as the thing that may reverse brexit.i would be happy with that situation before my statement is twisted.
    The main powers within the EU are Germany and France and what they say goes.If you say all countries are equal you're fooling yourself imo.

Wrong again rob.
    If france and Germany wanted to reverse Brexit it wouldn’t be happening. They don’t run the EU you can fool yourself into thinking that but it’s just the usual deluded brexiter hysteria. Stop reading the tabloids pal.
    Practice what you preach and if you actually read my posts you would see I'm against brexit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

10-15 years
    RobMc59 wrote: »
    Practice what you preach and if you actually read my posts you would see I'm against brexit.

I know but it is a myth and a false one that the two countries you mention ‘rule’ the Eu.

If Ireland is so powerless how is it we can stop any Eu legislation we don’t approve of by having a referendum and stopping the legislation.
    Hello Lisbon.

We said no. We demanded amendments and clarifications. The treaty was rewritten to address and implement them accordingly and we passed it upon that.

That’s not power? It’s more power than most other Eu states have. I can provide you videos of Nigel farage among others bemoaning and also celebrating Ireland’s ability to thwart the Eu on this very matter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

10-15 years
    Wrong again rob.
    If france and Germany wanted to reverse Brexit it wouldn’t be happening. They don’t run the EU you can fool yourself into thinking that but it’s just the usual deluded brexiter hysteria. Stop reading the tabloids pal.
    Brexit hasn’t happened yet and god knows there are plenty of Eu quislings in the Uk trying to subvert the Democracy of the People .

10-15 years
    Brexit hasn’t happened yet and god knows there are plenty of Eu quislings in the Uk trying to subvert the Democracy of the People .

Johnson just through democracy and parliamentary democracy overboard yesterday. You probably missed it.

• Advertisement

10-15 years
    Johnson just through democracy and parliamentary democracy overboard yesterday. You probably missed it.
    There has been 3 years of re-mainers pulling every stunt they can in parliament to subvert the Democratic decision of the people .

They get a little back and now the re-mainers knickers are in a crook . Is only one side allowed to make manoeuvres . There would be no need for manoeuvres if the Democratic decision of the people was respected .

The number of MPs that lied to get elected at the last election runs in to hundreds i.e. promising to respect the referendum just to get elected but doing the direct opposite after getting elected .

There must be a General Election so that the electorate can give their verdict on these lying MPs . Boris has put it up to them to call a no confidence motion or be damned .:D

10-15 years
    There has been 3 years of re-mainers pulling every stunt they can in parliament to subvert the Democratic decision of the people .

They get a little back and now the re-mainers knickers are in a crook . Is only one side allowed to make manoeuvres . There would be no need for manoeuvres if the Democratic decision of the people was respected .

The number of MPs that lied to get elected at the last election runs in to hundreds i.e. promising to respect the referendum just to get elected but doing the direct opposite after getting elected .

There must be a General Election so that the electorate can give their verdict on these lying MPs . Boris has put it up to them to call a no confidence motion or be damned .:D

I’m all for brexit. I want them to go ASAP.

We will sit back and watch the average Brit suddenly freaking out when the food shortages medicine shortages kick in. They’ll start losing their jobs and their homes. That’s the sad part.
    No joy being taken in that but it’s all coming.
    They’ll be back at the table begging for any deal at all within weeks. And they’ll be powerless as this countries.

You can’t eat ‘will’ nor are unicorns edible.

10-15 years
    I’m all for brexit. I want them to go ASAP.

We will sit back and watch the average Brit suddenly freaking out when the food shortages medicine shortages kick in. They’ll start losing their jobs and their homes. That’s the sad part.
    No joy being taken in that but it’s all coming.
    They’ll be back at the table begging for any deal at all within weeks. And they’ll be powerless as this countries.

You can’t eat ‘will’ nor are unicorns edible.
    How's it going to work out for the 26 Counties ? Sweet fook all will make it through the Land Bridge under those circumstances .

Leo will have to whimper to the Eu . Please please Eu:eek:

10-15 years
    How's it going to work out for the 26 Counties ? Sweet fook all will make it through the Land Bridge under those circumstances .

You don’t seem to read the news much. We’ve rerouted the majority of our supply lines already.
    This is all there if you care to google it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

10-15 years
    I think Johnson will be the DUP's wet dream come through. He's ignorant and doesn't like Johnny foreigner. The Unionists will be 'good paddy' and Leo 'why isn't he called Murphy like the rest of them' Varadakar, 'annoying paddy'. That'll be the height of it.
    Leo et al. are not fully prepared for a hard brexit, domestically they'll use the turmoil to ride the tax payer and have a few more sweet deals under the 'I didn't know' category.
    Boris will have no respect for the DUP outside of necessity and they''ll be fine with that. There'll be a hard border in all but armed troops and occupied Ulster will suffer economically IMO. In the short term, this could go either way UI public opinion wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

10-15 years

You don’t seem to read the news much. We’ve rerouted the majority of our supply lines already.
    LOL,you're as deluded as bojo and co!

10-15 years
    I think Johnson will be the DUP's wet dream come through. He's ignorant and doesn't like Johnny foreigner. The Unionists will be 'good paddy' and Leo 'why isn't he called Murphy like the rest of them' Varadakar, 'annoying paddy'. That'll be the height of it.
    He'll have no respect for the DUP outside of necessity and they''ll be fine with that. There'll be a hard border in all but armed troops and occupied Ulster will suffer economically IMO. In the short term, this could go either way UI wise.

I wouldn’t agree except the part about them being useful to him until they aren’t.

Almost certainly going to dump the dup there’ll be a NI only backstop and border in the sea.
    Dup will lose their minds and back to being irrelevant to Britain as it always was.
    Election coming in November. Dup are getting thrown overboard

10-15 years
    Those boats take a long time and are very slow to stop at Nottingham / Birmingham / etc to drop off / pick up part loads etc .

Me thinks that you have ben swallowing pro Eu propaganda .

Would you be available to dig some very big canals to Birmingham / Nottingham / etc for the drop offs and pickups yak now .

10-15 years
    Worth a listen

Brendan O'Leary, a professor of political science at the University of Pennsylvania, has written a three-book treatise on the entity we call Northern Ireland that is both accessible and erudite. He talks to Hugh about the past, present and uncertain future of Northern Ireland,

https://podcasts.apple.com/ie/podcast/irish-times-inside-politics/id794389685#episodeGuid=tag%3Asoundcloud%2C2010%3Atracks%2F672147965

10-15 years
    Leo et al. are not fully prepared for a hard brexit, domestically they'll use the turmoil to ride the tax payer and have a few more sweet deals under the 'I didn't know' category.
    Boris will have no respect for the DUP outside of necessity and they''ll be fine with that. There'll be a hard border in all but armed troops and occupied Ulster will suffer economically IMO. In the short term, this could go either way UI public opinion wise.
    Leo and his Blue-Shirts are Tooling Up as we speak to bolster the Dissos . I’d say Leo won’t break cover and get taken out like the Big Fellow !

• Registered Users Posts: 69,257 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

To be brutally honest and realistic here. There cannot be a hard border without soldiers eventually, if not from the get go.

Once a customs official or installation is attacked, and they will, of that I have no doubt, who in all conscience is going to ask anyone to go in without protection?

10-15 years
    I wouldn’t agree except the part about them being useful to him until they aren’t.

Almost certainly going to dump the dup there’ll be a NI only backstop and border in the sea.
    Dup will lose their minds and back to being irrelevant to Britain as it always was.
    A General Election with a probable Conservative Majority . Boris will mount a Tank and blow his load on all and sundry .

10-15 years
    Leo and his Blue-Shirts are Tooling Up as we speak to bolster the Dissos . I’d say Leo won’t break cover and get taken out like the Big Fellow !
    Leo and the Blue-Shirt Brigade are in negotiations with the Dissos as we speak . They are tooling up together .

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Dytalus

15-20 years
    Leo and the Blue-Shirt Brigade are in negotiations with the Dissos as we speak . They are tooling up together .

I assume you have evidence for this rather heinous accusation? Or do you just enjoy mouthing off about the Irish government because they refused to capitulate to the UK's Brexit wishes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

10-15 years
    To be brutally honest and realistic here. There cannot be a hard border without soldiers eventually, if not from the get go.

Once a customs official or installation is attacked, and they will, of that I have no doubt, who in all conscience is going to ask anyone to go in without protection?

If there's violence at the check points yes you'd be right. I'm just talking on the moves that will happen most likely. Any violence will change things.
    Boris is ignorant and the DUP love ignorance.

• Advertisement

10-15 years
    Worth a listen

Brendan O'Leary, a professor of political science at the University of Pennsylvania, has written a three-book treatise on the entity we call Northern Ireland that is both accessible and erudite. He talks to Hugh about the past, present and uncertain future of Northern Ireland,

https://podcasts.apple.com/ie/podcast/irish-times-inside-politics/id794389685#episodeGuid=tag%3Asoundcloud%2C2010%3Atracks%2F672147965

Lads this is a fantastic and informative listen. This guy knows what he talking about.
    Reunification is inevitable but Ireland needs to do some house keeping first and unionists latest claims that it would need to be a super majority to pass are ridiculous and GFA clearly states as much. 50+1.

Well worth a listen. Whichever side you take. Some cold uncomfortable truths for unionists though but factual and fair.

10-15 years
    Those boats take a long time and are very slow to stop at Nottingham / Birmingham / etc to drop off / pick up part loads etc .

Me thinks that you have ben swallowing pro Eu propaganda .

Would you be available to dig some very big canals to Birmingham / Nottingham / etc for the drop offs and pickups yak now .

And you clearly haven’t read about the ships we have and more on the way to go ireland to France and Rotterdam direct.

It’s like talking to donkeys with you people

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Have been saying for a while this is the most likely outcome. Expect that some of his own imperial backbenchers won't like it, so it will be accompanied by a promise of no border poll while Torys are in government.

10-15 years
    Dytalus wrote: »
    I assume you have evidence for this rather heinous accusation? Or do you just enjoy mouthing off about the Irish government because they refused to capitulate to the UK's Brexit wishes?
    Some of Leo’s apparatchiks having been big-ing up the Dissos .

Blue-shirts big-ing Dissos . Pretty unedifying all round .

10-15 years
    And you clearly haven’t read about the ships we have and more on the way to go ireland to France and Rotterdam direct.

It’s like talking to donkeys with you people
    Are you building big canals for the drop-off collections off-coast in Britain .

You need to talk to delivery / lorry managers to have an understanding about what you are talking about .

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Dytalus

15-20 years
    Some of Leo’s apparatchiks having been big-ing up the Dissos .

Blue-shirts big-ing Dissos . Pretty unedifying all round .

That's not an answer. I asked for evidence, not more baseless accusations and personal commentary.

10-15 years
    blanch152 wrote: »
    Have been saying for a while this is the most likely outcome. Expect that some of his own imperial backbenchers won't like it, so it will be accompanied by a promise of no border poll while Torys are in government.

And when has Boris ever kept a promise!?
    Every reliable player in the know have said there’s an election in November.
    He’s going to dump the dup. NI only backstop. Border in the sea.
    That’ll sail through parliament comfortably as nobody wants no deal.
    Then he get to say he delivered brexit and rollicking victory for him in the election.
    He cares not a whit about NI. Probably does care when it comes to Scotland.
    Can’t see him objecting to a border poll but that’s a safe enough distance away for him.
    If they leave deal or no deal. Scotland is an immediate situation.

https://twitter.com/jamiebrysoncpni/status/1167059118907150337?s=21

10-15 years
    Dytalus wrote: »
    That's not an answer. I asked for evidence, not more baseless accusations and personal commentary.
    Leo and his apparatchiks having been big-ing up violence on the border and the Dissos . Pathetic stuff but what do you expect from a pig but a grunt .

10-15 years
    And when has Boris ever kept a promise!?
    Every reliable player in the know have said there’s an election in November.
    He’s going to dump the dup. NI only backstop. Border in the sea.
    That’ll sail through parliament comfortably as nobody wants no deal.
    Then he get to say he delivered brexit and rollicking victory for him in the election.
    He cares not a whit about NI. Probably does care when it comes to Scotland.
    Can’t see him objecting to a border poll but that’s a safe enough distance away for him.
    If they leave deal or no deal. Scotland is an immediate situation.

https://twitter.com/jamiebrysoncpni/status/1167059118907150337?s=21
    When the Euro is waved at the Scots they recoil in horror:eek:

They bottled Independence the last time and they will bottle it again . What kind of a country does not vote for Independence when given the chance . They will bottle it again .

• Advertisement

10-15 years
    When the Euro is waved at the Scots they recoil in horror:eek:

They bottled Independence the last time and they will bottle it again . What kind of a country does not vote for Independence when given the chance . They will bottle it again .

You may not have heard but circumstances hav changed dramatically. And th promises made to the scots to keep them in we’re never delivered.

They’re going out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement