Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

10-15 years
    You may not have heard but circumstances hav changed dramatically. And th promises made to the scots to keep them in we’re never delivered.

They’re going out.
    The last time the Euro was waved in front of them they reached for the Whiskey and thought of Britain and Voted to stay in the UK .:eek::eek:

Sure look at all the trouble they will have at the border if they leave the Uk .;);) They’ll need Leo and the Blue-Shirts to man the border for them . Order more whiskey quick:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

15-20 years
    blinding wrote: »
    You may not have heard but circumstances hav changed dramatically. And th promises made to the scots to keep them in we’re never delivered.

They’re going out.
    The last time the Euro was waved in front of them they reached for the Whiskey and thought of Britain and Voted to stay in the UK .:eek::eek:

Sure look at all the trouble they will have at the border if they leave the Uk .;);) They’ll need Leo and the Blue-Shirts to man the border for them . Order more whiskey quick:eek::eek::eek:

Are you just trolling, or do you actually think your barely coherent ramblings are making some sort of point?!

10-15 years
    Fionn1952 wrote: »
    Are you just trolling, or do you actually think your barely coherent ramblings are making some sort of point?!
    If you do not have the metal equipment to comprehend my posts I suggest you ignore them . They are quite clear to those with a modicum of intelligence .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

10-15 years

Have reported several times and yet here we still are.

10-15 years
    Have reported several times and yet here we still are.
    You can voluntarily ban yourself you know:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,257 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    so it will be accompanied by a promise of no border poll while Torys are in government.

Which will be worth what?

Theresa pontificated to Unionists about the 'Union' they loved and were committed to and then tried to sell those Unionists down the Swanee within a few weeks, and several times after.

10-15 years
    You can voluntarily ban yourself you know:D

Gwan. I dare you. You’ll be missed. Well...

10-15 years
    Gwan. I dare you. You’ll be missed. Well...
    I’m not a run to mammy/ daddy type of guy .

I'll leave that to your ilk .

I am both willing and able to stand up for myself . When you grow up you may also be able to do so;)

15-20 years
    If you do not have the metal equipment to comprehend my posts I suggest you ignore them . They are quite clear to those with a modicum of intelligence .

The metal equipment? I have a plate on my tibia and fibula....how is that supposed to help?!?

Why are the nutters always so convinced they're so much more intelligent than everyone else?! You're a textbook example of the Dunning-Kruger effect, chief.

20-30 years
    Leo does as he is told by the Eu . This is the 26 Counties position in the Eu .

Eh, what pathetic Brexit planet are you on? Varadkar is doing what the vast majority of the people on this island want: consolidating Ireland's position as a member of the European Union and thus ensuring the Irish people will not return to being isolated and at the mercy of the English for centuries more.

Should you actually talk to any random Irish person you would discover very quickly that this is the wish of the overwhelming majority of Irish people.

That you think our people should lay themselves, Irish nationhood and Irish identity at the mercy of the English rightwing assumes a lack of awareness on our part of our history that we have never had. Enough Irish know their history to never allow the Brexiteer/Europhobic/poppypusher lies to dominate.

The sooner Ireland becomes intellectually and culturally more European, the sooner it becomes intellectually and culturally less anglocentric. That date of real Irish independence, independence of the Irish mind again after centuries of a cap-tipping inferiority complex to English ways, cannot come fast enough.

Vive l'Europe! Vive l'Union Européenne!

• Advertisement

10-15 years
    Two amazing things at once.

Metal equipment. Broke my balls laughing.

Then found the ignore button. Deadly:)

10-15 years
    The metal equipment? I have a plate on my tibia and fibula....how is that supposed to help?!?

Why are the nutters always so convinced they're so much more intelligent than everyone else?! You're a textbook example of the Dunning-Kruger effect, chief.
    Well spotted . You have gone up in my estimation . Able to spot a spelling mistake ; Well done . There's hope for you yet .

15-20 years
    Need to get yourself some metal equipment installed, Fuaranach. Only then will you comprehend the majesty!

I'm just working out the configuration on mine.

10-15 years
    Eh, what pathetic Brexit planet are you on? Varadkar is doing what the vast majority of the people on this island want: consolidating Ireland's position as a member of the European Union and thus ensuring the Irish people will not return to being isolated and at the mercy of the English for centuries more.

Should you actually talk to any random Irish person you would discover very quickly that this is the wish of the overwhelming majority of Irish people.

That you think our people should lay themselves, Irish nationhood and Irish identity at the mercy of the English rightwing assumes a lack of awareness on our part of our history that we have never had. Enough Irish know their history to never allow the Brexiteer/Europhobic/poppypusher lies to dominate.

The sooner Ireland becomes intellectually and culturally more European, the sooner it becomes intellectually and culturally less anglocentric. That date of real Irish independence, independence of the Irish mind again after centuries of a cap-tipping inferiority complex to English ways, cannot come fast enough.

Vive l'Europe! Vive l'Union Européenne!
    I say that the Democratic decision of the British people should be respected just as a Democratic decision of the Irish People should be respected .

Had the democratic vote of the Irish People been respected in 1918 then things may well have turned out a lot better in Ireland .

Lack of respect for Democracy will not end well . History shows that time and time again .

15-20 years

Well spotted . You have gone up in my estimation . Able to spot a spelling mistake ; Well done . There's hope for you yet .

It wouldn't be considered correct to put a space before a full stop or to capitalise after a semi-colon either. Of course, you knew this and were just testing me before telling me how to get my metal equipment configured, right?

10-15 years
    It wouldn't be considered correct to put a space before a full stop or to capitalise after a semi-colon either. Of course, you knew this and were just testing me before telling me how to get my metal equipment configured, right?
    You are certainly a work in progress but early days , don’t get carried away .

Better understanding of posts is where you need most help ;)

I say that the Democratic decision of the British people should be respected just as a Democratic decision of the Irish People should be respected .

Had the democratic vote of the Irish People been respected in 1918 then things may well have turned out a lot better in Ireland .

Lack of respect for Democracy will not end well . History shows that time and time again .

We know now the UK was never really a democracy alright.
    Their last government implemented the will of the people and then the undemocratic HOC took over and we have ended up with parliament being suspended by a monarch. Democracy? Nope, that is a 'monarchy'.

10-15 years
    We know now the UK was never really a democracy alright.
    Their last government implemented the will of the people and then the undemocratic HOC took over and we have ended up with parliament being suspended by a monarch. Democracy? Nope, that is a 'monarchy'.
    MPs , many of which were elected on manifestos to respect the referendum result have done everything in their power to subvert Democracy since fraudulently stealing their seats . I note that they are not so keen to face the electorate they lied to .

There will be an election before or after Brexit . Many , many of these MPs will not see Westminster again . Thats why they do not want an election .

The democratic decision of the British people will be respected . Britain will leave the Eu .

MPs , many of which were elected on manifestos to respect the referendum result have done everything in their power to subvert Democracy since fraudulently stealing their seats . I note that they are not so keen to face the electorate they lied to .

There will be an election before or after Brexit . Many , many of these MPs will not see Westminster again . Thats why they do not want an election .

The democratic decision of the British people will be respected . Britain will leave the Eu .

The reality is though blinding is that the people were only 'gifted' a say, that has no legal or constitutional standing. They don't have a 'right' to it, as referendums are not binding in the UK, politicians can do what they like, and they have.
    Boris has again underlined how undemocratic their system is, by instructing the monarch to suspend parliament. Parliament is only 'gifted' the allusion of sovereignty, at the end of the day they have to obey the monarch.

10-15 years
    The reality is though blinding is that the people were only 'gifted' a say, that has no legal or constitutional standing. They don't have a 'right' to it, as referendums are not binding in the UK, politicians can do what they like, and they have.
    Boris has again underlined how undemocratic their system is, by instructing the monarch to suspend parliament. Parliament is only 'gifted' the allusion of sovereignty, at the end of the day they have to obey the monarch.
    They were told by the Prime Minister at the time and the following Prime Minister that the referendum result would be respected . They were told by parties that got 83% of the vote in the 2017 general election that their vote would be respected .

Brexit must happen or Democracy has been subverted . This may well lead to a situation that will lead respecters of democracy to make sure democracy is respected in their country . We see from around the world that when democracy is not respected then all bets are off .

The fact that 3 years after the Brexit referendum Brexit has not happened then Democracy has been subverted . Democrats will not wait forever for democracy to be respected .

• Advertisement

They were told by the Prime Minister at the time and the following Prime Minister that the referendum result would be respected .
    Exactly...gifted them a 'say'. They reality is they don't, in any legally binding way.
    They were told by parties that got 83% of the vote in the 2017 general election that their vote would be respected .

Brexit must happen or Democracy has been subverted . This may well lead to a situation that will lead respecters of democracy to make sure democracy is respected in their country . We see from around the world that when democracy is not respected then all bets are off .

What happens, happens but they should not have been under any illusions. The people of the UK are not sovereign.

Boris's actions this week should underline to them that they need system change, because a 'democracy' in the sense that we are democracy, does not and never has existed there.

10-15 years
    Exactly...gifted them a 'say'. They reality is they don't, in any legally binding way.

What happens, happens but they should not have been under any illusions. The people of the UK are not sovereign.

Boris's actions this week should underline to them that they need system change, because a 'democracy' in the sense that we are democracy, does not and never has existed there.
    The British People know what they were told at the referendum and the 2017 general election . They respect their democracy to much to be scared by anti democrats . They are not Irish and are not so easily brow beaten by the Eu and its apparatchiks .

They will have their Brexit because they respect the Democracy of their Country and its people . They must be admired for standing up to anti democrats . Succumbing to anti democrats would have catastrophic results in any self respecting Country . Brexit will happen .

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Francie,

The UK is a representative democracy with a titular monarch.

Ireland is a representative democracy with a titular president.

Not a huge amount of difference. True, the people of Ireland have a slightly greater element of direct democracy, but it is confined to amending a written Constitution. As the UK Constitution is unwritten, such a arrangement isn't possible in the UK. If it ever were to be written, I am sure that it would contain such a provision. In that sense, the people of Ireland are not sovereign either.

I really don't see the difference that you are pointing to. In so many ways, our democracy copies the provisions of the British system of democracy.

The British People know what they were told at the referendum and the 2017 general election . They respect their democracy to much to be scared by anti democrats . They are not Irish and are not so easily brow beaten by the Eu and its apparatchiks .

They will have their Brexit because they respect the Democracy of their Country and its people . They must be admired for standing up to anti democrats . Succumbing to anti democrats would have catastrophic results in any self respecting Country . Brexit will happen .

Ireland has NEVER failed to implement the result of a referendum.

If they 'respected' democracy, they would not have had to follow the instructions of the monarch to suspend parliament. An instruction that affects all in the UK.

Francie,

The UK is a representative democracy with a titular monarch.

Ireland is a representative democracy with a titular president.

Not a huge amount of difference. True, the people of Ireland have a slightly greater element of direct democracy, but it is confined to amending a written Constitution. As the UK Constitution is unwritten, such a arrangement isn't possible in the UK. If it ever were to be written, I am sure that it would contain such a provision. In that sense, the people of Ireland are not sovereign either.

I really don't see the difference that you are pointing to. In so many ways, our democracy copies the provisions of the British system of democracy.

The events of the last three years show deep flaws in the UK system. Flaws that are threatening to break it up.

The events of the last week show that it is not a democracy in the same sense as we are. The PM has instructed the monarch to suspend the entire parliament, which is supposed to be 'sovereign'.

It plainly isn't in some cases.

If they 'respected' democracy, they would not have had to follow the instructions of the monarch to suspend parliament. An instruction that affects all in the UK.

Actually, Francie, that is untrue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seventh_Amendment_of_the_Constitution_of_Ireland

Legislation to enable the seventh amendment has never been put in place.

The events of the last three years show deep flaws in the UK system. Flaws that are threatening to break it up.

The events of the last week show that it is not a democracy in the same sense as we are. The PM has instructed the monarch to suspend the entire parliament, which is supposed to be 'sovereign'.

It plainly isn't in some cases.

The rules appear to allow for the PM to instruct the monarch to suspend the entire parliament in advance of a new session.

Similarly, the rules allow for the Taoiseach to go to the President and dissolve the Oireachtas, even if the Oireachtas don't want it to.

The courts may rule differently in Johnson's case but I find it hard to see how.

We have had numerous motions passed in the last three years in the Dail which have been subsequently ignored by the FG/Ind government. Is that democracy?

10-15 years
    Johnson and Mogg et al actually lied to their queen yesterday

They lied to their head of state.

Consequences of that incoming.

Actually, Francie, that is untrue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seventh_Amendment_of_the_Constitution_of_Ireland

Legislation to enable the seventh amendment has never been put in place.

Is it an ongoing process? Have we failed to implement it?

The point is, referendums in the UK are advisory. The people do not legally have a say as Binding seems to think.
    Parliament is not truly and fully 'sovereign' either as the last week has shown.

• Advertisement

10-15 years

The monarch was instructed / advised by the Prime Minister .

Could Leo do the same if he so chose with the Irish President ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement