Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

10-15 years
    janfebmar wrote: »
    That you man from America, sure what would he know about Northern Ireland, besides marching behind Mary Lou with her "England get out of Ireland" banner? Some Irish-Americans even believe the propaganda you get on websites like the Bobby Sands one about Britain operating "Concentration camps" in N. Ireland.
    "actual qualifications on Northern Ireland" lol. Maybe he should get actual qualifications on white mans settlement of N America.

You’re point is absolutely fgcked. As usual.
    But you don’t actually have any experience of Irish life as north or south outside google. As you have clearly and repeatedly demonstrated.

Brendan O'Leary (born 19 March 1958) is an Irish political scientist, who is Lauder Professor of Political Science at the University of Pennsylvania. He was formerly a professor at the London School of Economics. In 2009–10 he was the second Senior Advisor on Power-Sharing in the Standby Team of the Mediation Support Unit of the Department of Political Affairs of the United Nations.

‘O'Leary is the author of numerous influential books about the Northern Ireland conflict, many of them co-authored with John McGarry, whom he met when they both attended Saint MacNissi’s College.[1][2] McGarry and O'Leary's Policing Northern Ireland: Proposals for a New Start (Blackstaff Press, 1999) is considered to have had a significant influence on the work of the Independent Commission on Policing for Northern Ireland.[3] He has been an international advisor to the Kurdistan National Assembly, responsible for advising on the constitutional reconstruction of Iraq and Kurdistan, with special responsibility for federal arrangements and electoral laws.[4] He has also advised the United Nations, the European Union and the UK's Department for International Development.[2] Previously, he was a policy advisor to the British Labour Party, and political advisor to Mo Mowlam and Kevin McNamara during their respective spells as Shadow Secretary of State for Northern Ireland.[4] In the course of his career he has supervised more than thirty doctoral dissertations, including those of political scientists Stefan Wolff, Katharine Adeney, Lori Thorlakson, Shelley Deane and Tristan James Mabry.’

• Registered Users Posts: 69,257 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

At least the IRA prisoners were not executed there

I wonder did they send thank you cards?

p.s. While respecting what Jews went through, concentration camps were not invented for them. Many used them, notably the British

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

You’re point is absolutely fgcked. As usual.
    But you don’t actually have any experience of Irish life as north or south outside google. .’

I have many many decades of living on this island. So as usual you are guessing and making things up.

Would you insult the millions of concentration camp victims in ww2 by calling h-block a concentration camp too, or is that sort of language only aimed at gullible Irish Americans and the like?

10-15 years
    I have many many decades of living on this island. So as usual you are guessing and making things up.

Would you insult the millions of concentration camp victims in ww2 by calling h-block a concentration camp too, or is that sort of language only aimed at gullible Irish Americans and the like?

Many decades living in Ireland.

Yet somehow ignorant of the pre eminent Irish political scientist Brendan O Leary.

That’s kind of bizarre.

Brendan O'Leary (born 19 March 1958) is an Irish political scientist, who is Lauder Professor of Political Science at the University of Pennsylvania. He was formerly a professor at the London School of Economics. In 2009–10 he was the second Senior Advisor on Power-Sharing in the Standby Team of the Mediation Support Unit of the Department of Political Affairs of the United Nations.

10-15 years
    Your pathetic ditch swerve into the concentration camps has also been noted and reported Jan.

Ducking hysterical at this stage

• Advertisement

Yet somehow ignorant of the pre eminent Irish political scientist Brendan O Leary.

Not ignorant of him, where did I say I had never heard of him. You can hero worship "an expert" who lives in America and "who has actual qualifications on Northern Ireland " if you want, I have probably spent more time in N. Ireland than he has and I would not hold his opinion higher than many of the people I know there, people who have lived there their whole lives.

10-15 years
    Not ignorant of him, where did I say I had never heard of him. You can hero worship "an expert" who lives in America and "who has actual qualifications on Northern Ireland " if you want, I have probably spent more time in N. Ireland than he has and I would not hold his opinion higher than many of the people I know there, people who have lived there their whole lives.

You just deleted your post. I watched you do it in real time.
    Your posts are idiotic and antagonistic but you’re also a liar and it’s obvious.

10-15 years
    The post you deleted. Still got it. Right here
    So you aren’t aware of him and he’s a blow in from America who knows nothing. According to you. Then you say you are aware of him. If you were you’d know he’s Irish born and bred. I’ll leave the rest of your stupidity to speak for itself

Quote: janfebmar
    That you man from America, sure what would he know about Northern Ireland, besides marching behind Mary Lou with her "England get out of Ireland" banner? Some Irish-Americans even believe the propaganda you get on websites like the Bobby Sands one about Britain operating "Concentration camps" in N. Ireland.
    "actual qualifications on Northern Ireland" lol. Maybe he should get actual qualifications on white mans settlement of N America.

You just deleted your post.

No, 3877 is still there, and 3867. And I never used the word "blow in" for example. You are making stuff up again.

10-15 years
    No, 3877 is still there, and 3867. And I never used the word "blow in" for example. You are making stuff up again.

Dig up Jan. You’re lies nonsense lying about others and goalpost shifting and posting history are right there for all to see

• Advertisement

Definition of concentration camp
    : a place where large numbers of people (such as prisoners of war, political prisoners, refugees, or the members of an ethnic or religious minority) are detained or confined under armed guard.
    Full Definition of concentration camp:

"a place in which large numbers of people, especially political prisoners or members of persecuted minorities, are deliberately imprisoned in a relatively small area with inadequate facilities, sometimes to provide forced labour or to await mass execution. The term is most strongly associated with the several hundred camps established by the Nazis in Germany and occupied Europe 1933–45, among the most infamous being Dachau, Belsen, and Auschwitz."

Same as the H-Blocks so.

Seeing as YOU mention H-blocks, and most definitely imply they were concentration camps, why do you insult the millions of concentration camp victims in WW2 by calling h-block a concentration camp?

I am genuinely curious, as I know some people are taken aback by such a comparison, as it belittles the suffering of those in the concentration camps in WW2.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

30-40 years
    Your posts are idiotic and antagonistic but you’re also a liar and it’s obvious.

Any chance you could just ignore her then?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,257 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Seeing as YOU mention H-blocks, and most definitely imply they were concentration camps, why do you insult the millions of concentration camp victims in WW2 by calling h-block a concentration camp?

I am genuinely curious, as I know some people are taken aback by such a comparison, as it belittles the suffering of those in the concentration camps in WW2.

How does it belittle them?

Concentration camps have been used by many jan.

Is talking about the bombing of Dresden insulting the people of Coventry for instance?

Where are these offended Jews anyhow...any links? Or are you just getting offended on their behalf because it's a handy deflection?

10-15 years
    Any chance you could just ignore her then?

Waiting on some mod action
    Reported repeatedly and no dice so far.
    Disruptive and blatantly ignores the forum charter
    Yet gets a free pass.
    May take it to the feedback forum and post some examples

How does it belittle them?

Because, as the dictionary said, the term "Concentration Camp" " is most strongly associated with the several hundred camps established by the Nazis in Germany and occupied Europe 1933–45, among the most infamous being Dachau, Belsen, and Auschwitz."

In H-Blocks, everyone who wanted to live could live. There is no comparison between H-Block and the Nazis concentration camps, ffs. The H-Blocks were a prison.

10-15 years
    You’re derailed once again into an entirely different subject unrelated in every way to the topic at hand. See the thread title. Reported once again. For all the good that seems to achieve

You’re derailed once again into an entirely different subject unrelated in every way to the topic at hand. See the thread title. Reported once again. For all the good that seems to achieve

So you were able to derail the thread talking about 1969 etc but nobody else is allowed question anything? I would say 95% if not 99% of Irish people would call H-Blocks a prison, not a Concentration Camp. You should not be re-writing history.

10-15 years
    So you were able to derail the thread talking about 1969 etc but nobody else is allowed question anything? I would say 95% if not 99% of Irish people would call H-Blocks a prison, not a Concentration Camp. You should not be re-writing history.

I’ve never once mentioned 1969, concentration camps or h blocks.

Not once.

Reported. Once again. For accusing me of stuff I never said.

I’ve never once mentioned 1969...

Oh dear...see the post no. 3743 in this very thread from this morning for example.
    1969...I bet they rue the day they let the papists have the vote

https://twitter.com/frankieboyle/status/1167087479062781953?s=21

10-15 years
    Oh dear...see the post no. 3743 in this very thread from this morning for example.

In your conversation with francie I never mentioned 1969.
    Way to go with the post mining though. That is a double edged sword.

Like the time a Catholic teacher hit you. But he didn’t. Then he did. But he didn’t hey look nazis.

Dig up Jan.

• Advertisement

In your conversation with francie I never mentioned 1969.
    Way to go with the post mining though. That is a double edged sword.

Like the time a Catholic teacher hit you. But he didn’t. Then he did. But he didn’t hey look nazis.

Dig up Jan.

Have you drink taken? Goodnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 fat zombie

Love to see it happen, BUT
    1, we can't afford it
    2, the loyalist terror campaign will go 32 counties

dont see it for another few generations

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: Can we please stick to the topic in question? thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 fat zombie

USC tax would only be the taster for the main course of a reunification Tax, don't think i could stomach it.

Folk down south will vote against reunification once the cost is laid out before them, but what will happen if the North votes Yes and the south votes No.
    Does the North become its own independent country?
    If so if the south invades, will UK intervene?
    If the south invades, and conquers , will it be obliged to pay the current North civil servant Pension/wages?
    Could the victorious south null all wages obligation that a peaceful reunification would entail?
    End of the day , reunification will all come down to money , can the south pay , is it willing to pay?
    I dont think the Tax payers of Ireland will want to pay, the North will forever be unwanted, while both Ireland and the UK pretend to want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

20-30 years
    How would you think it would pan out if there was a Border Poll>Reunification regarding Loyalist extremists? Especially if they didn't have the hidden hand of British Secret Services or the British Army on their side. I don't think they would have been anywhere near as organised or effective with their (largely directed at civilians) murder campaign without state assistance.

They're largely drawn from the lower educated sectors and have a major gangster/racketeering aspect, they may trade on aggression and have bellicose murals but were essentially mickey mouse organisations compared to the PIRA of the 70's onwards.

I don't think a Basque style separatism campaign would make much sense as it would only worsen their situation on the island, the only people who'd seriously cross the North Channel to take their side would be Scottish Chavs of the Orange persuasion and a smaller number of English ultra-right wing crazies, again, hardly people who'd make a state with a standing police force and army quake in their boots.

If such a scenario occurred, would Republicans of the physical force tradition become the new Loyalists in effect, still in existence but responding to violence from the other side? There'd be no reason for an IRA in any form as it's raison d'etre would be gone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭interactive

15 years ago i was on a lads holiday to the canaries, pulled a northern bird, fine looking bird, nice firm ass and bountiful breasts, i turned on the charm , eventually she asked me back to her hotel room.
    I worked my magic and before long we where going at it hammer and tongs, eventually after a few positions i was hammering away from behind, she then started to moan, and the moans then became noise ,eye, eye ,eye, eye, eye ,eye ,eye, eye, eye, eye, with every thrust into her i was met with a eye, eye, eye, eye, eye, eye, eye, it was then and there that i realise that the Northern accent is truly a hideous thing.
    I was hammering away staring at her fine ass, a truly great view but her high pitched sour twang truly put me off my stroke.
    it no doubt worked in her favour as i lasted considerable longer that i normally would, changed position two more times, giving her the ride of her life before i came, and in the best News of the World tradition "made my excuses and left".
    i'm going to have to say no to reunification, not worth it , too expensive, and we will have to put up with more of that sour twang accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

15 years ago i was on a lads holiday to the canaries, pulled a northern bird, fine looking bird, nice firm ass and bountiful breasts, i turned on the charm , eventually she asked me back to her hotel room.
    I worked my magic and before long we where going at it hammer and tongs, eventually after a few positions i was hammering away from behind, she then started to moan, and the moans then became noise ,eye, eye ,eye, eye, eye ,eye ,eye, eye, eye, eye, with every thrust into her i was met with a eye, eye, eye, eye, eye, eye, eye, it was then and there that i realise that the Northern accent is truly a hideous thing.
    I was hammering away staring at her fine ass, a truly great view but her high pitched sour twang truly put me off my stroke.
    it no doubt worked in her favour as i lasted considerable longer that i normally would, changed position two more times, giving her the ride of her life before i came, and in the best News of the World tradition "made my excuses and left".
    i'm going to have to say no to reunification, not worth it , too expensive, and we will have to put up with more of that sour twang accent.

All my life i have wanted a United Ireland...but that is some argument sir, some argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

If we can accommodate the louth accent in our glorious republic then we can handle the steel girder clang of the nordie accent

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: Stop moaning ffs, janfebmar - I've seen the reported posts and you're both as bad as each other IMO. Cut the sniping and the off-topic and deliberately tangential posting now, and stick to the topic at hand. Next one of you to breach that instruction gets an automatic threadban.

• Advertisement

10-15 years
    This is a little bit bizarre. A March for Irish unity. In Scotland? We aren’t doing that here. You’d think they’d be marching for Scottish independence no? Anyone know the background to this?
    Wasn’t aware of any Irish unity groups in Scotland at all.
    https://twitter.com/daily_record/status/1167536495428800512?s=21

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement