Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

10-15 years
    downcow wrote: »
    And I guess you think the whole roi is lol

5%~ of the population is foreign immigrants. We just get on with it. So yah. Inclusive and diverse.

I’m sure we’d all be welcome at a parade anywhere in NI on the 12th though eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

20-30 years
    Yes the colour of the flag is very significant.
    No one has said why the flag associated with ni ie the white background was not used and yet the flag associated with roi was used. But then how dare I look to be treated with some respect and equality.

Yes the flag used at the commonwealth games is the white background, normally referred to as the NI flag (holds breath for a history lesson from Francie et al about, it’s not an official flag lalala)

Wikipedia I think will give you a full run down on all the promises made when the teams were united. The deal with aviva was just a way of irfu ensuring that if they ever played a game in Belfast again the they could use this as an excuse not to play gstq - absolutely no logic but sure is that a surprise.

A very good reason to avoid like the plague, any talk of a united football team

The Ulster Banner (NI flag), has no legal status and would be regarded was an oppressive symbol by Nationalists'.

The Ulster flag on the other hand is a widely used and inclusive symbol used by both sides of the politics divide and has little in the way of baggage.

It's not really hard to see why it is paired with the Tricolour at events both at home and abroad to symbolise a United Ireland team. Not one person I've ever met at numerous rugby internationals abroad and at home has ever been so myopic as to be offended in the way you are about these symbols.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

10-15 years
    Runaways wrote: »
    Yeah they have marches banging drums and wearing funny hats and sashes all over Britain every weekend. Almost identical to NI
    Eyeroll implied.

Strangely enough Britain itself is weirdly bereft of any culture too if you look at it. I mean what do they have outside the monarchy and the national obsession with world wars they think they singlehandedly won. That’s all really.

Guess you could say brexit is a cultural thing..damning indictment on them if it is.

Knock yourself out-you might learn something :)
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_innovations_and_discoveries

10-15 years
    RobMc59 wrote: »

Ehhh that’s really nothing to do with my post rob. Without meaning to go all ‘what have the Brits ever done for us? (Apart from cause us untold amounts of grief) they are also very fond of claiming anyone from these islands as a british when it suits them. It’s really funny

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

The Ulster Banner (NI flag), has no legal status and would be regarded was an oppressive symbol by Nationalists'.

The Ulster flag on the other hand is a widely used and inclusive symbol used by both sides of the politics divide and has little in the way of baggage.

It's not really hard to see why it is paired with the Tricolour at events both at home and abroad to symbolise a United Ireland team. Not one person I've ever met at numerous rugby internationals abroad and at home has ever been so myopic as to be offended in the way you are about these symbols.

You really do live in a strange bubble bonnie.
    The only two places that I know you will see those flags together anywhere in the world are IRA events and GAA events https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-members-of-the-real-ira-lead-a-republican-march-to-commemorate-the-41287759.html
    Both neutral, inclusive events welcoming unionists lol. I would like some of whatever you are drinking tonight.

Now we can add irfu matches to the other two events added.

The fact that no one attending says to you that they find it exclusive and a chill factor should set alarm bells ringing for you. Instead of defending it try asking yourself why the choice???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Ehhh that’s really nothing to do with my post rob. Without meaning to go all ‘what have the Brits ever done for us? (Apart from cause us untold amounts of grief) they are also very fond of claiming anyone from these islands as a british when it suits them. It’s really funny

Can't remember UK media every claiming anyone from ROI was from the UK. But then maybe it's washed over me.

Sounds quite common, got a few examples?

Quick Google search shows its actually reasonably common in entertainment world. LOL.

That entire world of celebrity is of little interest to me so have to say I never really paid it much attention.. so it didn't ever catch my attention.

Maybe more common than I though.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,296 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You really do live in a strange bubble bonnie.
    The only two places that I know you will see those flags together anywhere in the world are IRA events and GAA events https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-members-of-the-real-ira-lead-a-republican-march-to-commemorate-the-41287759.html
    Both neutral, inclusive events welcoming unionists lol. I would like some of whatever you are drinking tonight.

Now we can add irfu matches to the other two events added.

The fact that no one attending says to you that they find it exclusive and a chill factor should set alarm bells ringing for you. Instead of defending it try asking yourself why the choice???

Community that tried to shut down NI over a 'flag' gets annoyed about others using a flag. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

10-15 years
    Community that tried to shut down NI over a 'flag' gets annoyed about others using a flag. :)

Just out of interest,what is your opinion of the ira people shown in the link provided by Downcow?

10-15 years
    Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    Can't remember UK media every claiming anyone from ROI was from the UK. But then maybe it's washed over me.

Sounds quite common, got a few examples?

Are you having a laugh? It’s happens all the time. And it’s nit colonial arrogance for once it’s just out ignorance and shows how poorly educated a lot of those people are.
    Here’s some more notable examples

5 times Irish celebrities shot down people claiming they were British
    https://www.dailyedge.ie/theyre-not-irish-lads-2542797-Jan2016/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Its a cliche, when an irish person wins a sport medal suddenly he is british, if you read certain british tabloids.
    Maybe 10 per cent of irish people might care about reunification,most people in the north want to stay in the uk.
    So in terms of votes and political movements it will never happen.i think young people now are concerned about high rents , the housing crisis,
    and maybe climate change .
    young people voted for sinn fein as a protest against fine gael more than
    anything else.
    from the 2016 census non national,s make up 11 per cent of the population .

riclad wrote: »
    Maybe 10 per cent of irish people might care about reunification,most people in the north want to stay in the uk.

What data are you basing this on?

Are you having a laugh? It’s happens all the time. And it’s nit colonial arrogance for once it’s just out ignorance and shows how poorly educated a lot of those people are.

Haha. Thanks. That's pretty funny tbh.
    Always like when celebrities are annoyed, they earn far too much to get an easy ride in my book.

Lalala woe is me. Who’s the victim now.
    Roi claims NI people when they are winning as well. But I couldn’t care less

Ps sky sports have just now described the upcoming roi v wales game as Battle of Britain. Hahahaha

Ps sky sports have just now described the upcoming roi v wales game as Battle of Britain. Hahahaha

Just like we claim you, we claim they are Irish downcow and they are. ;)

10-15 years

Oh we’re laughing at that too DC. They’re an international broadcasting oganisation and they don’t know basic geography
    On their Dedicated sports station dealing with international games ... not the brightest the aul brits
    LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Unionists claim they live in the Province of Ulster. Why are they then upset by the Ulster flag?

Not your ornery onager

10-15 years
    Esel wrote: »
    Unionists claim they live in the Province of Ulster. Why are they then upset be the Ulster flag?

Being upset about flegs is the default setting if our friend here is anything to go by.

Thankfully he’s more like a caricature Than anything else, certainly nothing like any of my mates from any community in NI and I know folks in both extremes

Unionists claim they live in the Province of Ulster. Why are they then upset be the Ulster flag?

For goodness sake. Where have you crawled out of with a statement like that. Have you been hibernating ?

I suppose to help you understand. I probably feel the same when you tell me I live in Provence of Ulster as when someone tells you you live in the British isles. Both old historic regions, neither exist now except in some old people’s minds.
    Does that help you?

• Advertisement

riclad wrote: »
    Its a cliche, when an irish person wins a sport medal suddenly he is british, if you read certain british tabloids.
    So in terms of votes and political movements it will never happen.i think young people now are concerned about high rents , the housing crisis,
    and maybe climate change .
    young people voted for sinn fein as a protest against fine gael more than
    anything else.
    from the 2016 census non national,s make up 11 per cent of the population .

Don't know what the percentage is up here for people that have moved here in the last 15 years. Certainly a changed place from the 90s (thank goodness). Maybe not 11% but can't be too far away. Good to see as well.

They'll have a huge say in a vote.
    Wonder how the general cost of living, income tax, house prices, car running costs, medical costs etc of ROi will influence them.
    They'll not be as entrenched as we all are.

TBH it kinda scares me. Not like our employer's are going to give us a 20% or whatever rise overnight to cover it.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=United+Kingdom&country2=Ireland

Don't know what the percentage is up here for people that have moved here in the last 15 years. Certainly a changed place from the 90s (thank goodness). Maybe not 11% but can't be too far away. Good to see as well.

Wonder how the general cost of living, income tax, house prices, car running costs, medical costs etc of ROi will influence them.

TBH it kinda scares me. Not like our employer's are going to give us a 20% or whatever rise overnight to cover it.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=United+Kingdom&country2=Ireland

In fairness not much different. Thought it would be much more expensive in roi. It’s the other stuff like medical etc which I think I would miss. And some are saying crazy money for car tax. I pay 260 for a pickup rest of family are either 30 or free Etc

In fairness not much different. Thought it would be much more expensive in roi. It’s the other stuff like medical etc which I think I would miss. And some are saying crazy money for car tax. I pay 260 for a pickup rest of family are either 30 or free Etc

Most things are 10% at least more expensive. General cost of living things, food etc.
    So effectively you'll have that much less free cash every week/month/whatever. No thanks.

Rent in ROI is another story. Holy moly. Didn't really listen to people complaining in here but those numbers are insane.

I suppose to help you understand. I probably feel the same when you tell me I live in Provence of Ulster as when someone tells you you live in the British isles. Both old historic regions, neither exist now except in some old people’s minds.
    Does that help you?

Hold your horse with the 'old' there lad.

Just about to begin is the Ulster Championship in which all the teams of 'ULSTER' will take part.
    Ulster says No to your bigoted definition of the 9 counties of my province.

Your 'logic' such as it, is very quickly ties you in knots.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

20-30 years
    Most things are 10% at least more expensive. General cost of living things, food etc.
    So effectively you'll have that much less free cash every week/month/whatever. No thanks.

Rent in ROI is another story. Holy moly. Didn't really listen to people complaining in here but those numbers are insane.

I guess that's two "NO's" when the referendum happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Does that help you?
    It was a serious question. Non-unionists don't refer to NI as 'the Province'. Maybe it has gone out of favour - if so, good. Do you still refer to NI as 'Ulster'?

Provence is in France, btw.

Not your ornery onager

Hold your horse with the 'old' there lad.

Just about to begin is the Ulster Championship in which all the teams of 'ULSTER' will take part.
    Ulster says No to your bigoted definition of the 9 counties of my province.

Your 'logic' such as it, is very quickly ties you in knots.

The British and Irish lions (called British lions until recently) will be playing soon that doesn’t mean the British isles still exists And are you suggesting the Ryder cup means uk hasn’t left EU.
    Just because the gaa want to maintain a few historic lines on a map doesn’t mean the UN will recognise them.

It was a serious question. Non-unionists don't refer to NI as 'the Province'. Maybe it has gone out of favour - if so, good. Do you still refer to NI as 'Ulster'?

Provence is in France, btw.

Easel You will hear province from the older folk and you may hear Ulster occasionally from anyone But when said by unionists they are referring to NI. there is no concept of provinces withinunionist minds. Apart from people who follow rugby, no one will have a clue what the other provinces or called or which is which. And if the rugger guys aren’t travelling to away games it will be the same flowery concept as cricketers knowing Somerset exists but not sure exactly where.

Be assure of one thing. If any unionist mentions an Ulster flag, they certainly don’t mean a yellow one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

20-30 years

However if you work in the public sector your pay will go up 50% overnight..... but let's still give the nurses and any other PS staff in the republic any increase they want. Sure its just sitting in a pot on kildare street.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement