Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

I guess that's two "NO's" when the referendum happens.

Maybe you were expecting 100% for UI?

ittakestwo wrote: »
    However if you work in the public sector your pay will go up 50% overnight..... but let's still give the nurses and any other PS staff in the republic any increase they want. Sure its just sitting in a pot on kildare street.

Private sector here. In an industry that has zero footprint in ROI.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,296 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

downcow wrote: »
    The British and Irish lions (called British lions until recently) will be playing soon that doesn’t mean the British isles still exists And are you suggesting the Ryder cup means uk hasn’t left EU.
    Just because the gaa want to maintain a few historic lines on a map doesn’t mean the UN will recognise them.

The abscence of the name Irish from the rugby team spoke more to British arrogance than anything else. Ireland didn't 'stop' existing nor was it consigned to 'history'.

Unionists were quite happy to call it (wrongly) Ulster until recently. Just because you belligerent Unionists have embarked on the great self isolation project (to mainly convince themselves that they are not slowly diverging from Britain, 'flegs' 'brexit' etc etc) doesn't mean my province disappears.

'If I don't call it anything or give it a name, then it doesn't exist', is a self delusion tool/trick used by primitive tribes.
    Belligerent Unionism's attempt to divorce itself is as quaint as it is pathetic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

10-15 years
    See certain students in QUB getting Their knickers in a twist cos some students have the gall to wear GAA jerseys some days.

Said it already but a Certain community needs to grow tf up.

Runaways wrote: »
    See certain students in QUB getting Their knickers in a twist cos some students have the gall to wear GAA jerseys some days.

Not unusual at all up here. No logo'd sports clothing would be allowed in any work place, be it GAA, football, rugby, whatever.

Everyone far too easily offended.

• Advertisement

The abscence of the name Irish from the rugby team spoke more to British arrogance than anything else. Ireland didn't 'stop' existing nor was it consigned to 'history'.

Unionists were quite happy to call it (wrongly) Ulster until recently. Just because you belligerent Unionists have embarked on the great self isolation project (to mainly convince themselves that they are not slowly diverging from Britain, 'flegs' 'brexit' etc etc) doesn't mean my province disappears.

'If I don't call it anything or give it a name, then it doesn't exist', is a self delusion tool/trick used by primitive tribes.
    Belligerent Unionism's attempt to divorce itself is as quaint as it is pathetic.

Have SF worked out how to put the 2 words "Northern" and "Ireland" together yet?

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    Have SF worked out how to put the 2 words "Northern" and "Ireland" together yet?

Refusing to recognise a political entity since it's establishment is a significantly different thing to wiping a province (the name of which you were quite comfortable with until recently) off a map as you well know.
    One is a political stance and the other is just a belligerent, rude and derisory (not to mention futile) attempt to disassociate yourself from anything that might indicate you are Irish.

10-15 years
    I only noticed that recently. Mary lou always says ‘north of Ireland’

Refusing to recognise a political entity since it's establishment is a significantly different thing to wiping a province (the name of which you were quite comfortable with until recently) off a map as you well know.
    One is a political stance and the other is just a belligerent, rude and derisory (not to mention futile) attempt to disassociate yourself from anything that might indicate you are Irish.

Absolute rubbish.

The other is an attempt to disassociate with anything British.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again.
    2 sides of the 1 coin.

By the way I've no issue with Ulster. I support the rugby team of that name and have no issue whatsoever with the province, its legitimacy, use of it whatever way you want, etc etc. I'm in no way trying to wipe it out.

In my lifetime NI has never really been called Ulster. I know historically it was called Ulster which always seemed a bit strange to me.

10-15 years
    Absolute rubbish.

2 sides of the 1 coin.

By the way I've no issue with Ulster. I support the rugby team of that name and have no issue whatsoever with the province, its legitimacy, use of it whatever way you want, etc etc. I'm in no way trying to wipe it out.

In my lifetime NI has never really been called Ulster. I know historically it was called Ulster which always seemed a bit strange to me.

I know Jack McGrath :)

• Advertisement

I know Jack McGrath :)

And many many others. No issue whatsoever, in fact it's a great thing.

Absolute rubbish.

2 sides of the 1 coin.

Refusal to recognise Partition is not refusal to disassociate from anything British. Simple distinction.

Unless you were born after 2000 or so, Ulster was used by the likes of Ian Paisley.

downcow's distaste for the name is a 'modern' thing. Belligerent Unionism has been trying to ignore it's own Irishness for a long time now, but AGAIN the likes of Paisley, Trimble etc had no problems being called Irish.
    As their place in the Union becomes more fragile so also has their repudiation of Irishness become more strident.

10-15 years
    So much for the wonders of the NHS. Ps the HSE here out performs NI NHS on every measurable front and the HSE is in bad shape so....

https://twitter.com/pastorjimberoo1/status/1235095517182357505?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

20-30 years
    Maybe you were expecting 100% for UI?

Where did you manage to extrapolate that from?

It would suit yourself to try sell the statelet to those who believe that they'd be better off in a UI. Yourself and Downcow are exactly the sort of "YES" votes we should give up on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

20-30 years
    Easel You will hear province from the older folk and you may hear Ulster occasionally from anyone But when said by unionists they are referring to NI. there is no concept of provinces withinunionist minds. Apart from people who follow rugby, no one will have a clue what the other provinces or called or which is which. And if the rugger guys aren’t travelling to away games it will be the same flowery concept as cricketers knowing Somerset exists but not sure exactly where.

Be assure of one thing. If any unionist mentions an Ulster flag, they certainly don’t mean a yellow one.

Speaking for all unionists are ya?

Refusal to recognise Partition is not refusal to disassociate from anything British. Simple distinction.

Unless you were born after 2000 or so, Ulster was used by the likes of Ian Paisley.

downcow's distaste for the name is a 'modern' thing. Belligerent Unionism has been trying to ignore it's own Irishness for a long time now, but AGAIN the likes of Paisley, Trimble etc had no problems being called Irish.
    As their place in the Union becomes more fragile so also has their repudiation of Irishness become more strident.

Don't be associating me with Paisley in any way. Another of our legacy of crazies... On BOTH sides.

The irishness thing is another issue.
    What does it actually mean?
    Where you're both? Yes I'm Northern Irish or UKish (which is British)
    How you were raised, schooling, family background, traditions? British.
    Where you feel identity with, what flag if you like? UK.

Go ahead and shout to the rafters that you don't agree. Won't make a whole pile of difference to me.

I can absolutely see how others feel differently. Work away. I've zero issue with that. Be whatever you want.

Speaking for all unionists are ya?

It's called turning ignorance, lack of education and belligerent self delusion into a plus-point.

Don't be associating me with Paisley in any way. Another of our legacy of crazies... On BOTH sides.

The irishness thing is another issue.
    What does it actually mean?
    Where you're both? Yes I'm Northern Irish or UKish (which is British)
    How you were raised, schooling, family background, traditions? British.
    Where you feel identity with, what flag if you like? UK.

Go ahead and shout to the rafters that you don't agree. Won't make a whole pile of difference to me.

I can absolutely see how others feel differently. Work away. I've zero issue with that. Be whatever you want.

I have absolutely no problem with how anyone wishes to identify.

But we have seen the logic of denial destroying the logic of certain positions right here on this thread.

Having to wipe out the existence of 4 distinct provinces and consign them to history is the latest one. :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

This one has taken a quare twist in a few posts. I was responding to the poster that thinks I should align myself to Theo old provincial boundary and associated flag and ignore the international boundary that UN recognises. Just so as he can convince himself ni doesn’t exist. WE EXIST

It’s really difficult to discuss anything with you as you are so removed from reality and just say whatever suits. You would make a good advisor for trump

• Advertisement

10-15 years
    This one has taken a quare twist in a few posts. I was responding to the poster that thinks I should align myself to Theo old provincial boundary and associated flag and ignore the international boundary that UN recognises. Just so as he can convince himself ni doesn’t exist. WE EXIST

NI isn’t a country. Its a region of two different entities. It’s not recognized anywhere except as a troubled colonized region something to do with the Brits and the Irish.

That’s as far as even better read people from overseas knowledge might go.

Not unusual at all up here. No logo'd sports clothing would be allowed in any work place, be it GAA, football, rugby, whatever.

Everyone far too easily offended.

You are exactly correct sinbad. And you know which community started that craic

Yes you exist...on the island of Ireland, which is not and never was Britain.

Francie. Absolute nonsense. I am very happy with the term Ulster but if I use it you will quickly point out its technically 9 counties - and you are absolutely correct.
    I am just telling you that when it’s used by unionists it is a term of affection for NI. eg NI fans regularly sing about Ulster and we call our favourite flag the Ulster flag.
    So I don’t know where you get the idea I have shown any distaste for the term Ulster.
    In the words of that song which rings around Windsor park “Ulster till I die” lol

Francie. Absolute nonsense. I am very happy with the term Ulster but if I use it you will quickly point out its technically 9 counties - and you are absolutely correct.
    I am just telling you that when it’s used by unionists it is a term of affection for NI. eg NI fans regularly sing about Ulster and we call our favourite flag the Ulster flag.
    So I don’t know where you get the idea I have shown any distaste for the term Ulster.
    In the words of that song which rings around Windsor park “Ulster till I die” lol

Exactly...the logic catches up with you again.

You and I are Ulstermen - and Ulster is a province in Ireland.

10-15 years
    It’s really difficult to discuss anything with you as you are so removed from reality and just say whatever suits. You would make a good advisor for trump

That’s gas coming from you :)
    It’s probably difficult for you cos you’re unable to actually refute anything I’ve said. Hard to deal with facts when you’re in such a curious sectarianised bubble of your own making. Who knows

10-15 years
    You are exactly correct sinbad. And you know which community started that craic

The orange order founded in 1796 in portadown

Think you’ll find they’re a far older organization in NI than the GAA which was founded in 1884

We all know who ‘started this’ downcow

You don’t even know the basics pal

I have absolutely no problem with how anyone wishes to identify.

But we have seen the logic of denial destroying the logic of certain positions right here on this thread.

Having to wipe out the existence of 4 distinct provinces and consign them to history is the latest one. :):)

Francie twist all you like. I was not wiping out anything. I am telling you that I am born reared and grammar schooled in NI. I would be a fairly typical unionist
    I always new where Ulster was. In my adulthood, as I got involved in cross community work, I would have remembered Connaught as I associated it with the famine stories I heard
    In very very recent times I associate Leinster rugby with Dublin so I now know where it is and by a matter of deduction I can work out the other........(and you won’t believe this I can’t remember the name of the forth just now , it will come back to me - and I’m not joking)
    Counties. I could name you about 15 at a stretch and tell you where about half of them are.
    Funny story from this week that emphasis this. I am considering taking a bull to pedigree sales in rosscommin and needed to contact the local veterinary office which are arranged in counties. I googled to see which county Rosscomon was in and felt a bit silly when I got the answer lol

I think people don’t realise how disconnected most unionists in ni feel from roi, certainly more emotionally connected to Scotland. Not good or bad. Just the way it is.

Edit. I have remembered MUNSTER

NI isn’t a country. Its a region of two different entities. It’s not recognized anywhere except as a troubled colonized region something to do with the Brits and the Irish.

That’s as far as even better read people from overseas knowledge might go.

Now you are just fantasising Runaway.
    Take a wee look again where the UN recognised international border is - and then tell the Scots that Scotland is not a country (but do it from a distance)

• Advertisement

Francie twist all you like. I was not wiping out anything.
    You are the single most disingenuous poster on this subject.

Here is what YOU said:
    I suppose to help you understand. I probably feel the same when you tell me I live in Provence of Ulster as when someone tells you you live in the British isles. Both old historic regions, neither exist now except in some old people’s minds.

The rest of your post is all the evidence needed to prove what I said earlier:

It's called turning ignorance, lack of education and belligerent self delusion into a plus-point.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement