Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

It's out of the hands of people of unionist heritage now anyway.

My point abou ‘devil you know’ was not about unionists (interesting that you associated devil automatically with unionist).
    The point I was making was that you have to convince moderate nationalists not to stay with the devil they know ie status quo and uk , and head into the unknown Quite a challenge me thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

30-40 years
    downcow wrote: »
    My point abou ‘devil you know’ was not about unionists (interesting that you associated devil automatically with unionist).
    The point I was making was that you have to convince moderate nationalists not to stay with the devil they know ie status quo and uk , and head into the unknown Quite a challenge me thinks

I know what you meant and was agreeing i.e. it's not people of Unionist heritage that need to be convinced so much any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

20-30 years

Why can't you post like this more often? This is worthy of discussion!

The thing is, the South isn't an unknown. Whether for bad or good. What they see is their children and relatives moving south for well paying jobs that they could only dream of up North. They also see the cost of housing.

I have a friend from Larne who now lives in Waterford because of the uptick in wages, seniority and quality of life that brings him. I know a gaggle of others in the same boat.

The onus is on Unionism to sell the positives of remaining in the UK. aND tbh, and I don't mean this as directed at you per se, but unionism has been pretty dismal at it since 1922.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

15-20 years
    We have to consider too that a lot of people in the South are indifferent or are against it due to economic reasons.
    Their attitude is let the Brits keep paying the £10,000,000,000 a year if they want to hold onto it so much.

The thing is, the South isn't an unknown. Whether for bad or good. What they see is their children and relatives moving south for well paying jobs that they could only dream of up North. They also see the cost of housing.

I have a friend from Larne who now lives in Waterford because of the uptick in wages, seniority and quality of life that brings him. I know a gaggle of others in the same boat.

The onus is on Unionism to sell the positives of remaining in the UK. aND tbh, and I don't mean this as directed at you per se, but unionism has been pretty dismal at it since 1922.

Well if unionism has been dismal at it and there is still a significant majority want to remain in the uk, then dear help your aspirations if unionists get good at it.

Someone from roi was telling me just the other day that it is the Celtic tiger all over again. He said we are heading on boom bust again. So I hope we are well clear when the bubble bursts.

And I think it may be your perception about the exodus out of ni. I can assure we have a lot of Roi accents around us in good professions like vets etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

10-15 years

As someone who has and is still weighing up the pros and cons of living in Ireland or Ni I think the employment opportunities are better in Ireland whilst the cost of living is considerably better in NI.Things like property stamp duty ,car insurance and the NHS are the main points for me.

20-30 years
    And he's back!
    Well if unionism has been dismal at it and there is still a significant majority want to remain in the uk, then dear help your aspirations if unionists get good at it.

What?

Do you understand how a "status quo" works?

Unionism did such a good job of selling the Union to Nationalists that Nationalists had to rise up and march and fight for their rights resulting in a civil war.

I mean, is that a good outcome of the union?

Since the Downing Street Declaration and subsequently the GFA, there has been a legitimate roadmap for Nationalism for the first time to achieve reunification.

So as I repeat again, IT IS UP TO UNIONISM TO SELL THE STATUS QUO.

Someone from roi was telling me just the other day that it is the Celtic tiger all over again. He said we are heading on boom bust again. So I hope we are well clear when the bubble bursts.

"Someone was telling me"

Do you not inform yourself about anything or have you a fear about investigating sources with a .ie internet suffix?

The WORLD is teetering on the brink of a slowdown. It's rather inevitable.

And I think it may be your perception about the exodus out of ni. I can assure we have a lot of Roi accents around us in good professions like vets etc

It's a perception I have of the reality. Sure, people move north, but substantially more move south for higher paid jobs.

I'm shocked you can tell an ROI accent from an NI accent. :P I mean you'd know the difference of someone from Belcoo vs Blacklion eh? Mon dieu!

20-30 years
    RobMc59 wrote: »
    As someone who has and is still weighing up the pros and cons of living in Ireland or Ni I think the employment opportunities are better in Ireland whilst the cost of living is considerably better in NI.Things like property stamp duty ,car insurance and the NHS are the main points for me.

Work in the South live in the North. Dundalk and Newry are as sh!t as each other.

And I mean you'd know the difference of someone from Belcoo vs Blacklion eh? Mon dieu!

I can.
    I can hear the difference between Ballyconnell & derrylin also.
    It's not so hard.
    Anyone with sense would live in the North & work in the South, cost of living is so much cheaper.

20-30 years
    bubblypop wrote: »
    I can.
    I can hear the difference between Ballyconnell & derrylin also.
    It's not so hard.
    Anyone with sense would live in the North & work in the South, cost of living is so much cheaper.

I can hear the difference between Aughnacloy and Emyvale etc. We can all play that game, but this was directed at a fellow who hears ROI accents despite knowing SFA about the State, apparently.

• Advertisement

I can hear the difference between Aughnacloy and Emyvale etc. We can all play that game, but this was directed at a fellow who hears ROI accents despite knowing SFA about the State, apparently.

I don't know too much about france either but I can recognise their accents

• Registered Users Posts: 69,296 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Funny that when somebody wants to make criticisms or shore up his bias or shore up his self delusions that he knows what he needs to know about the south. :):)

Methinks he knows more about the south than we ourselves do. :)

20-30 years
    Funny that when somebody wants to make criticisms or shore up his bias or shore up his self delusions that he knows what he needs to know about the south. :):)

Like the Normans, "He's more Irish than the Irish himself".

Why is it of any relevance to you or some other posters, how much i know about the south (i presume you mean ROI) You seem infatuated with Unionists.
    It would never be important to me how much Dubliners know about NI, and more to the point, if they told me how much they knew then I wouldn't feel the need to correct them. You are also infatuated about England and the English - what is that about?

Why is it of any relevance to you or some other posters, how much i know about the south (i presume you mean ROI) You seem infatuated with Unionists.

Only because you wear your 'non-interest' on your sleeve when it suits ya. :)

You'd have to be up early in the morning to cod me that if somebody sneezes in Dublin that you don't know about it downcow.

It would never be important to me how much Dubliners know about NI, and more to the point, if they told me how much they knew then I wouldn't feel the need to correct them. You are also infatuated about England and the English - what is that about?

No 'infatuation'. I just don't pretend not to be interested in things that affect me.

Like some cheeky chappies! :)

30-40 years
    a lot of people in the South ... are against it.

The people who are against it need to come together and form some sort of political unit because they're currently not represented. It'd be interesting to see who'd want to oppose unification. Would they be calling for a change to the constitution? A new flag? New anthem?

The people who are against it need to come together and form some sort of political unit because they're currently not represented. It'd be interesting to see who'd want to oppose unification. Would they be calling for a change to the constitution? A new flag? New anthem?

Would you allow northerners into that group or is this another roi only group?

You'd get lost going to the meetings downcow. Might as well be France. ;)

30-40 years

Well they'd be natural allies on the issue so, yeah; why not? I'm sure the sight of Gregory Campbell or Sammy Wilson with southern partitionists would really 'help' the separatist cause.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

10-15 years
    How does unionism sell remaining in the union to the people of NI in a referendum scenario?

Cos as things stand they’re very much on a weak back foot looking at it from here

Worst performing NHS in the Uk massive unemployment and completely reliant on hand outs

That’s just a few of the problems.

What are the upsides?

20-30 years
    Runaways wrote: »
    How does unionism sell remaining in the union to the people of NI in a referendum scenario?

Cos as things stand they’re very much on a weak back foot looking at it from here

Worst performing NHS in the Uk massive unemployment and completely reliant on hand outs

What are the upsides?

Flags and cheap* doctors' visits apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Runaways wrote: »

What are the upsides?

Other than a natural desire to be one country, how do you sell it to people in southern Ireland to subsidise the north ?

20-30 years
    Other than a natural desire to be one country, how do you sell it to people in southern Ireland to subsidise the north ?

Subsidise the North?

The same way that Dublin and Cork subsidise the rest of the country perhaps?

That's how economics work silly puppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Subsidise the North?

The same way that Dublin and Cork subsidise the rest of the country perhaps?

That's how economics work silly puppy.

no need for name calling, we are not discussing having a vote on splitting the rest of the country, people accept the way things are but would need an incentive to accept over one and half million more people to subsidize

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

10-15 years

All available evidence says it would be a massive boost for an all island economy and would see the north thrive finally getting the investment and employment it so badly needs. And it would not be the south subsidizing the north, we’d be one country so...
    Good example is cork. It’s in the top 3 richest regions in all Europe. Down to the likes of Apple and Pfizer being there. NI has the basic framework to take on similar incoming investment but as it stands outside the EU it’s never going to get that ever unless in a UI

20-30 years
    no need for name calling, we are not discussing having a vote on splitting the rest of the country, people accept the way things are but would need an incentive to accept over one and half million more people to subsidize

You clearly don't understand what I wrote. Splitting the country? What?

The incentive is reunification and the ending of an injustice. Simple as.

It also creates a more balanced State with Belfast and its environs as a proper rival for investment to Dublin which will benefit the new State.

Flags and cheap* doctors' visits apparently.

Unionism makes a virtue out of economic failure and being a dependent.

20-30 years
    Unionism makes a virtue out of economic failure and being a dependent.

Well, they do love the big house so they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭maccored

30-40 years

subsidise? I dont think you get the general concept. a UI would be one country working as one. there wouldnt be two parts and no part would be subsidising the other.

Whats REALLY needed is a nationwide discussion so people can discuss the reality of a UI, and not this silly talk of one the south taking over the north and paying its bills.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement