Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

10-15 years
    downcow wrote: »
    Well then stop blaming us for partition on the island and your aspiration to create an all island nation for the first time in history and get on with convincing ‘your own people’ who seemingly don’t want it.
    History is against you but I guess miracles happen.

...and role on the time when you have the confidence to just ignore our parades. And I trust my community will learn from you and develop the confidence to ignore you Irish road signs.

You’re gas. And more Irish than anyone I know. It’s sort of hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Granadino wrote: »
    How do they get very limited opportunities to try other sports? Surely it's down to choice? They choose to play GAA, it's not that they can't play rugby. I am guessing...

I wouldn't know where to start with all the examples catholic friends have given me from growing up. heres a quick one for starters

Kieran Leavy, Laois GAA county board member,

“If a young lad comes and says he is going to play soccer, he needs to be told ‘alright, go but we don’t want you anymore’.

“I know that sounds terrible but it is my opinion. We are going to have to draw our battleground because there is a war coming."

So the British rolled in to save the day and create "one nation"? :confused::confused:

Thats not the way i put it.

I asked can anyone give me a single day in the last 2,000 years when this Island was one nation (apart from under the brits)

How do they get very limited opportunities to try other sports? Surely it's down to choice? They choose to play GAA, it's not that they can't play rugby. I am guessing...

GAA President, Douglas Hyde, was removed as a patron of the GAA for attending a soccer international and former GAA President Sean Kelly is still receiving hate mail from GAA members who disagreed with the opening of Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Ulster Says No. It will never happen
    What about now downcow. I'm referring to now, not during the times of the stupid GAA ban, which I agree with you on. Neanderthal stuff.
    Plus the link you gave on the Laois bloke is a minority view point. If you knew anything about lads who play GAA these days, underage, they'll be playing soccer, rugby, golf, hurling etc. In fact quite a few of the Irish rugby squad would have been good underage GAA players. Henshaw for example. Kearney etc. You must be horrified they can play alongside Ulster rugby folk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,280 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

What about now downcow. I'm referring to now, not during the times of the stupid GAA ban, which I agree with you on. Neanderthal stuff.
    Plus the link you gave on the Laois bloke is a minority view point. If you knew anything about lads who play GAA these days, underage, they'll be playing soccer, rugby, golf, hurling etc. In fact quite a few of the Irish rugby squad would have been good underage GAA players. Henshaw for example. Kearney etc. You must be horrified they can play alongside Ulster rugby folk?

Tommy Bowe is another GAA star and stalwart of Ulster rugby. Because it's Ulster rugby...not 6 counties pretending to be a province. :)

Here's some supporters of downcow's beloved NI soccer team just last year.

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2019/03/27/news/football-fans-caught-singing-we-hate-catholics-will-be-banned-from-future-ni-matches-if-identified-ifa-1583763/

Tommy Bowe is another GAA star and stalwart of Ulster rugby. Because it's Ulster rugby...not 6 counties pretending to be a province. :)

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2019/03/27/news/football-fans-caught-singing-we-hate-catholics-will-be-banned-from-future-ni-matches-if-identified-ifa-1583763/

Look it, you'll get the oo ah up the ra brigade with the Irish team as well. I wouldn't think all NI supporters are bigots, but downcow needs to "catch himself on" as they'd say up north about GAA players not being allowed to play any other sport, or having limited sporting opportunities becase they are Cafflicks. Rubbish,

Look it, you'll get the oo ah up the ra brigade with the Irish team as well.

Totally agree.
    Trading stories about things like that could go on until the cows come home.

Actually I agree with you. I understand it has improved greatly but my reaction was to posters saying that I was nuts to suggest it ever happened. I have friends who testify to how strong it was. Is there not still rules about playing non gaa sports on gaa pitches? I am not sure and if there is openess across gaa to multisports then that’s great.

Actually I agree with you. I understand it has improved greatly but my reaction was to posters saying that I was nuts to suggest it ever happened. I have friends who testify to how strong it was. Is there not still rules about playing non gaa sports on gaa pitches? I am not sure and if there is openess across gaa to multisports then that’s great.

I think you’d get most sports being arsey about other games being played on their pitches. The ban was strong and bull****. The funny thing is they used to have “spies” at non GAA games to nab folk.

• Advertisement

I have already said in previous posts that the behaviour of a very tiny minority of ni ‘fans’ makes me sick to my stomach. And I work hard against it as do most fans. You will not get that kind of behaviour where there are any number of fans as others will tell them to f up and get out. You also will find no denial amongst our fans that there are still a tiny rump of hangers on who find bars where ordinary fans don’t go to perform their antics.
    So I won’t do a Francie and pretend my team or my community are squeaky clean. It’s still a work in progress.

Difference I can give you dates where you can go along to big gaa clubs safe in the knowledge that there will definitely be large crowds chanting ooh ah up the ra. That is disgraceful to allow to happen premeditated

I have already said in previous posts that the behaviour of a very tiny minority of ni ‘fans’ makes me sick to my stomach. And I work hard against it as do most fans. You will not get that kind of behaviour where there are any number of fans as others will tell them to f up and get out. You also will find no denial amongst our fans that there are still a tiny rump of hangers on who find bars where ordinary fans don’t go to perform their antics.
    So I won’t do a Francie and pretend my team or my community are squeaky clean.
    Outright lies again, despicable behaviour.

You got told that the reason Catholics in NI do not play many other sports is that just like in housing, education and having a vote they were 'excluded'.

Very simple beginnings of the problem. But you blithely ignored that point to hurry off to google to pretend you had many catholic friends.
    It’s still a work in progress.

Difference I can give you dates where you can go along to big gaa clubs safe in the knowledge that there will definitely be large crowds chanting ooh ah up the ra. That is disgraceful to allow to happen premeditated

I follow GAA at club and county level all over this island and I have rarely heard it, but DO NOT DENY and NEVER HAVE (as you barefaced lied) denied that there are instances of it.

Feck off downcow, sick of your mealy mouthed lying for one day. If you can't debate honestly, don't do it at all.

Downcow, were you one of the people who got offended when Limerick hurlers sang Sean South from Garryowen after they won the all Ireland ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

10-15 years
    Loves football. But has never heard of Roy Keane. ( Who’s currently on sky sports footie panels every weekend. )

Riiiiight.

He’s a wind up artist and he’s good at it. Have to hand it to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

20-30 years
    Thats not the way i put it.

I asked can anyone give me a single day in the last 2,000 years when this Island was one nation (apart from under the brits)

A common language (Irish) and common law (Brehon Laws) would indicate that people on the island of Ireland were of the same tribe (i.e., nation) prior to the arrival of the Normans, many of whom 'became more Irish than the Irish themselves, adopting the Irish language and religion).

There was also a High King of Ireland who resided on the Hill of Tara from ancient times, but the biggest indicator of being one nation is a common language which is why unionists have such a problem with it (and in fairness why the native Irish tried to revive in when it was being wiped out).

Edit: Up to the Act of Union, there was a Parliament based in Dublin (College Green, opposite Trinity College) with a House of Commons and a House of Lords.

20-30 years

The ''Ban'' on playing ''foreign sports'' was removed in 1971 - nearly 50 years ago.

Most sports are protective of their facilities - they need them for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

10-15 years
    jm08 wrote: »
    The ''Ban'' on playing ''foreign sports'' was removed in 1971 - nearly 50 years ago.

Most sports are protective of their facilities - they need them for themselves.

That's a very insular attitude and has probably hampered the development and popularity of Irish sports outside Ireland unlike football and rugby for example.

20-30 years
    RobMc59 wrote: »
    That's a very insular attitude and has probably hampered the development and popularity of Irish sports outside Ireland unlike football and rugby for example.

I bet there are more GAA clubs in Saudi than there are rugby clubs! (there are no rugby clubs in Saudi)!

List of GAA clubs around the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Gaelic_games_clubs_outside_Ireland

Apart from its sporting activities, its Ireland's world wide employment agency. If you are Irish and land in any country, the first place to pitch up at is the local GAA club who will sort a job/accommodation or whatever for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭eire4

RobMc59 wrote: »

Totally agree with you that the GAA's attitude was very insular. This mindset sadly lasted way beyond when it was valid. I will disagree with you though about it having any effect in terms of hampering the games development and popularity outside Ireland. Anywhere there is any significant Irish population there is a GAA presence which is very important on and off the field in that community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Lord Fairlord

15-20 years
    Folks, Francie can't give us a single date during the last 2,000 years when this island was united as one nation (except under the force of the Brits)
    Can anyone help him out?? Surely there must have been one day in the last 2,000 years that enough people thought it was a good idea to have one Nation on this wee island. No?

This has been addressed already in this thread. Brian Boru had at one point received the submission of all the major kings in Ireland.
    Also there is a difference between a State and a Nation. A nation needn't have a centralised government but merely have a unified culture. In the Annals, while there wasn't a centralised government in Ireland, the world was divided idir Gael agus Gall (between Irish and foreigner).

• Advertisement

This has been addressed already in this thread. Brian Boru had at one point received the submission of all the major kings in Ireland.
    Also there is a difference between a State and a Nation. A nation needn't have a centralised government but merely have a unified culture. In the Annals, while there wasn't a centralised government in Ireland, the world was divided idir Gael agus Gall (between Irish and foreigner).

This would be of significance if the answer had any significance or effect on a border poll happening.

Arlene popping up at the last minute saying 'Aha, but who can show that Ireland was ever united?!!' isn't going happen or stop anything.

A classic moot point.

15-20 years
    This would be of significance if the answer had any significance or effect on a border poll happening.

Arlene popping up at the last minute saying 'Aha, but who can show that Ireland was ever united?!!' isn't going happen or stop anything.

A classic moot point.

Perhaps but it's rather annoying when we have a question like that but also the contention that NI is a country as opposed to an artificially created statelet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

20-30 years
    Perhaps but it's rather annoying when we have a question like that but also the contention that NI is a country as opposed to an artificially created statelet.

I think you're right to have the response at hand for them though.

Outright lies again, despicable behaviour.

You got told that the reason Catholics in NI do not play many other sports is that just like in housing, education and having a vote they were 'excluded'.

Very simple beginnings of the problem. But you blithely ignored that point to hurry off to google to pretend you had many catholic friends.

Francie, This is a new one i have never heard before. That catholics were discriminated against by all sports other than GAA - woe is me!

Downcow, were you one of the people who got offended when Limerick hurlers sang Sean South from Garryowen after they won the all Ireland ?

Granadino. Because of my Cross community work I am a little more aware than the average unionist about things nationalist, but I had zero knowledge of Limerick winning the all ireland never mind any singing that followed - so no i wasn't offended

Runaways wrote: »
    Loves football. But has never heard of Roy Keane. ( Who’s currently on sky sports footie panels every weekend. )

Riiiiight.

He’s a wind up artist and he’s good at it. Have to hand it to him.

You are twisting and shooting the messenger again. You can see i have apologised for thinking you meant robbie Keane (who i said i did hear of) and I said Roy Keane was huge in football.
    Interesting that you feel the need to try and misrepresent me

Maybe this has been a happy echo chamber and I'm just not going along with your narrative

Francie, This is a new one i have never heard before. That catholics were discriminated against be all sports other than GAA - woe is me!

So, in spite of the fact that even Ian Paisley accept that Unionists abused their dominance and discriminated across the board in education, housing, employment and in allowing the equality of having a vote, downcow is going to try and make the case that this didn't filter down to participating fully in sports?

Ha ha...comedy gold again.

jm08 wrote: »
    Apart from its sporting activities, its Ireland's world wide employment agency. If you are Irish and land in any country, the first place to pitch up at is the local GAA club who will sort a job/accommodation or whatever for you.

Sounds just like the local masonic lodge lol

Could you explain to me what an artificially created statelet is? Would that include eg Canada, USA, Belgium, etc, etc?

• Advertisement

15-20 years
    Could you explain to me what an artificially created statelet is? Would that include eg Canada, USA, Belgium, etc, etc?

Countries without long histories and that are not naturally occurring, i.e. not co-inciding with resident language or ethnic group. Also arbitrariness; the Irish border is a great example of that. Ulster has nine counties, in 1918 Nationalists are in a majority in five, yet, Unionists with only a majority in four counties get a six county statelet.
    Belgium is literally an artificially created statelet, created as a buffer zone. Many of the Flemish (who are basically Dutch) have been trying for a while to break away from the Walloons (who are basically French).
    Canada has the Quebec and First Nations issues.
    America is straight up unusual in being a nation unified really by nothing other than the idea of "American values/liberty".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement