Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

30-40 years
    Having lived in Britain for a spell I do totally understand where unionism is coming from.The thing is, from a British (unionist perspective)

This is a hilariously bad take or poor attempt at trolling. There is no unionist/British perspective. Unionists are alien to the average British person. When unionists go to Britain they are considered Irish. The British don't care about the north of Ireland.

The British people are generally a tolerant bunch which is not how you'd describe Unionist culture. You've got it hilariously wrong, deliberately.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Indeed perhaps downcow can explain the actions surronding the particularly vicious murder of james morgan?

And why some those known to participated were putting up posters for the DUP at last election?

You seem to know lots about this horrific cowardly murder (no more so than many ira murders). So you should know that it was not committed in castlewellan or by people from castlewellan.
    There are hundreds of recorded attacks against the Protestant community in castlewellan and not one single instance of the local Protestant community retaliation. That is impressive restraint.

30-40 years
    You're outrageous.

Waste of time trying be reasonable with the DC's of the world and when a vote on a UI does come trying to convince that type of voter will be wasted energy.

The latest bullshit of having completely differing responses to a crisis that requires one authority will just have convinced another large percentage of voters that it's time for British jurisdiction to end.

Enough is enough.

15-20 years
    downcow wrote: »
    You seem to know lots about this horrific cowardly murder (no more so than many ira murders). So you should know that it was not committed in castlewellan or by people from castlewellan.
    There are hundreds of recorded attacks against the Protestant community in castlewellan and not one single instance of the local Protestant community retaliation. That is impressive restraint.

And yet how many deaths of non-combatants in castlewellen

Or how about how b-specials used burn catholic farmers hay in the 60s about there?

Your happy enough to.talk about prod being attacked,but curiously quiet on how catholics living in isolated areas couldnt build houses as builder got attcaked and houses burnt down just as finished?

Or how families of those who got burnt to death in attacks,still get invitations to BBQs sent in post to them on the anniversaires of their loved ones deaths? (Or bbq paraphanilia left on their property?)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

20-30 years
    RobMc59 wrote: »
    I'm not going to report you bonnie but I've seen people warned for trying to tell people who they can and can't agree with.

I'm not suggesting at all what you should and shouldn't agree with but I'm hazarding a guess at how you've conducted yourself thus far on this thread that you're less than informed than you should be.

It's hard to fathom that you could possibly think that Protestants were the victims of some sort of Ethnic Cleansing? I mean? Really?

I can accept Downcow's blinkered views, but it's incumbent on the rest of us to inform ourselves.

• Advertisement

And yet how many deaths of non-combatants in castlewellen

Or how about how b-specials used burn catholic farmers hay in the 60s about there?

Your happy enough to.talk about prod being attacked,but curiously quiet on how catholics living in isolated areas couldnt build houses as builder got attcaked and houses burnt down just as finished?

Or how families of those who got burnt to death in attacks,still get invitations to BBQs sent in post to them on the anniversaires of their loved ones deaths? (Or bbq paraphanilia left on their property?)

You are back in the 60s again.
    The stuff you site happens to both communities. All equally horrendous.
    You are not addressing the original issue of ira driving Protestants from their homes.
    Francie raised castlewellan. A good case in point. But no answers forthcoming

20-30 years
    Waste of time trying be reasonable with the DC's of the world and when a vote on a UI does come trying to convince that type of voter will be wasted energy.

The latest bullshit of having completely differing responses to a crisis that requires one authority will just have convinced another large percentage of voters that it's time for British jurisdiction to end.

Enough is enough.

I've long given up on DC and his ilk don't you worry.

Foster's moaning yesterday about a lack of notice from sums up the madness of Unionism.

I'm not suggesting at all what you should and shouldn't agree with but I'm hazarding a guess at how you've conducted yourself thus far on this thread that you're less than informed than you should be.

It's hard to fathom that you could possibly think that Protestants were the victims of some sort of Ethnic Cleansing? I mean? Really?

I can accept Downcow's blinkered views, but it's incumbent on the rest of us to inform ourselves.

Bonnie. Saying it often enough will not make it go away.
    Francie has raised castlewellan. 1969 - 35% Protestant 2020 - 1% Protestant.
    300+ incidents - 3 directed at catholic community. Protestants homes burned, bombed, shot at, etc. Children continually abused.
    A welcoming place for prods in your eyes?

15-20 years
    You are back in the 60s again.
    The stuff you site happens to both communities. All equally horrendous.
    You are not addressing the original issue of ira driving Protestants from their homes.
    Francie raised castlewellan. A good case in point. But no answers forthcoming

And you know it was the ira,how??

The stuff i referenced about the bbq,happened late last year,so.try to keep up

Hows about loughlin island massacre,another of downs tremendous massacres,who i know names of culprits,and yous must certainly do,or else your not from about down as you claim

Another case,where one participant was erecting posters for the DUP few months ago in belfast??

Your happy enough to blame the ira for driving people out,but fail to mention at least 8 of those shops were owned by part time udr members??,how is it in a town massively catjolic,majority of businesses were owned by part time soldiers,drawn from a community that was in significant minority?

Indeed its long believed the murder of james morgan was initiated by a prodestamt friend,who wished to join the local.loyalist paramilitarys,isnt it??

15-20 years
    I've long given up on DC and his ilk don't you worry.

Foster's moaning yesterday about a lack of notice from sums up the madness of Unionism.

Tbh they should got some heads up

• Advertisement

And you know it was the ira,how??

The stuff i referenced about the bbq,happened late last year,so.try to keep up

Hows about loughlin island massacre,another of downs tremendous massacres,who i know names of culprits,and yous must certainly do,or else your not from about down as you claim

Another case,where one participant was erecting posters for the DUP few months ago in belfast??

Your happy enough to blame the ira for driving people out,but fail to mention at least 8 of those shops were owned by part time udr members??,how is it in a town massively catjolic,majority of businesses were owned by part time soldiers,drawn from a community that was in significant minority?

Straight lies. Not one shop was owned by a udr man. All simply Protestant civilians. That was their only crime.
    Do sf tell you this stuff?

20-30 years
    300+ incidents - 3 directed at catholic community. Protestants homes burned, bombed, shot at, etc. Children continually abused.

So this is your latest straw man?

I tell you what, answer why you think the IRA started their campaign in the first place?

Answer why your Statelet carved out of the Nation was a cold house for Catholics?

Answer why the abominable Craig wanted a "Protestant Parliament for a Protestant people"?

All atrocities carried out in the name of Ireland whether Loyalist or Republican were abhorrent.

Greysteel, Omagh, Dublin, Monaghan, Warrington, Shankill, Milltown, Moira, etc. all abhorrent.

That you have the temerity to come onto a messageboard in 2020 to plead with us that somehow there was ethnic cleansing going on in the north of Protestants is bloody well offensive.

Catch yourself on and try to learn why these things happened on all sides rather than playing the "All the Taigs are bad" card. It's tiresome and you should know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

10-15 years

I was agreeing that the British are blamed for everything on here whilst there are quite a few who make excuses for the ira.

20-30 years
    Tbh they should got some heads up

But we are a foreign nation etc. There's no winning with unionists.

15-20 years
    Straight lies. Not one shop was owned by a udr man. All simply Protestant civilians. That was their only crime.
    Do sf tell you this stuff?

Hmm....now now,retired udr men are still udr soldiers

Why attempt to mislead people??......indeed while we are on subject of udr men and ex udr men activie in co down,perhaps you can outline their involvement in miami showband massacre and providing of "safe" houses to members of the glennane gang,when heat started to come on them in the late 70s??

Wasnt a significant amount of firearms also moved from.glennane to a farm in a long laneway few miles outside downpatrick,in the late 70s for a period of roughly 6 months?
    A cousin i believe of one of its leading members?

Your happy to rightly critise the ira,but gloss over udr members actions in aiding the glennane gang who failed to kill a single republicn paramilitary,despite its membership being drawn from security forces??

20-30 years
    I was agreeing that the British are blamed for everything on here whilst there are quite a few who make excuses for the ira.

The British are LITERALLY the cause of the Civil Wars that wreaked havoc in Ireland in the 20th Century.

No one is excusing the IRA of any of their antics. But to absolve HMG of any wrongdoing is mental!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

10-15 years
    This is a hilariously bad take or poor attempt at trolling. There is no unionist/British perspective. Unionists are alien to the average British person. When unionists go to Britain they are considered Irish. The British don't care about the north of Ireland.

The British people are generally a tolerant bunch which is not how you'd describe Unionist culture. You've got it hilariously wrong, deliberately.

Tom, British people are tolerant but what you describe as Unionist culture is considered the norm here.Wanting the UK to remain United and feeling loyalty to the crown is considered normal-not extremist as is pride in the UK's armed forces.

Don't worry about it right now anyway folks.
    There will be a border in the next few days unless the Brits do something about the virus.
    Lockdown/lockout.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

20-30 years
    So at what point should it have stopped?

There would have been no support for Sinn Fein or the IRA if unionists agreed to powersharing back in 1973 with the SDLP. It wouldn't have started. As the British Army wrote in a report, that the IRA were in an insurgency* phase in the 70s.

*An insurgency is a movement within a country dedicated to overthrowing the government. An insurgency is a rebellion. ... Insurgency is also used for less serious situations: for example, a rebellious group within a company, political party, or school could be called an insurgency. All insurgencies are made up of rebels.

Hmm....now now,retired udr men are still udr soldiers

Why attempt to mislead people??......indeed while we are on subject of udr men and ex udr men activie in co down,perhaps you can outline their involvement in miami showband massacre and providing of "safe" houses to members of the glennane gang,when heat started to come on them in the late 70s??

Wasnt a significant amount of firearms also moved from.glennane to a farm in a long laneway few miles outside downpatrick,in the late 70s for a period of roughly 6 months?
    A cousin i believe of one of its leading members?

Your happy to rightly critise the ira,but gloss over udr members actions in aiding the glennane gang who failed to kill a single republicn paramilitary,despite its membership being drawn from security forces??

You are simply telling lies. Not one of the bombed shop owners were ever in the udr. It is simply disgraceful that you come on and try and justify blatant sectarian attacks by making up nonsense about udr membership.
    You should not post anything you cannot evidence.
    I think you know this. No doubt why you jumped the conversation to issues in a different county which have zero to do with the town Francie had raised

• Advertisement

20-30 years
    Tom, British people are tolerant but what you describe as Unionist culture is considered the norm here.Wanting the UK to remain United and feeling loyalty to the crown is considered normal-not extremist as is pride in the UK's armed forces.

Being a proud British person the way a lot in England seem to be is a different thing altogether to Ulster Loyalism. How you can't differentiate that is beyond me.

Personally, though I think military pride is weird and disgusting and something I will never understand.

UK, USA, Russia, China all fetishise the military... noticing a trend here...

20-30 years

So downcow, Castlewellan - what was the percentage of protestants in Dec 1973?

How many incidents? Were these people civilians or were they UDR/RUC members?

15-20 years
    You are simply telling lies. Not one of the bombed shop owners were ever in the udr. It is simply disgraceful that you come on and try and justify blatant sectarian attacks by making up nonsense about udr membership.
    Hmm...except im.not justifying anything??
    You should not post anything you cannot evidence.
    Are you saying its lies??,perhaps you will pony up evidence of this supposed ethic cleansing,i suspect your not even from.about down tbh mate

I think you know this. No doubt why you jumped the conversation to issues in a different county which have zero to do with the town Francie had raised

Miami showband massacre occured in down??you dont think the glennane gang(an actual sectarian murder gang) connection to down is relevent??

Youve started the conversation on sectariaism in down,you dont get to pick and choose whats included in it

Perhaps we should talk about the machine gun attavk on a bus the night after miami showband massacre also in co down....or deos fact this was full of catnolics not count and at least 1 participant was a udr member......a mini kingsmills if you will

jm08 wrote: »
    There would have been no support for Sinn Fein or the IRA if unionists agreed to powersharing back in 1973 with the SDLP. It wouldn't have started. As the British Army wrote in a report, that the IRA were in an insurgency* phase in the 70s.

This is just simply nonsense. The ira wanted to unify the two countries into one. They would not have accepted powersharing

20-30 years
    This is just simply nonsense. The ira wanted to unify the two countries into one. They would not have accepted powersharing

Well, they didn't get a chance to accept it did they. Unionists brought it down.

Maybe if the NIGovt wasn't such a sectarian cesspit since 1921 there might not have been need for it.

20-30 years

Back in the 1800s, the HoC tried to ban loyalist band parading and the Orange Order. George IV supported the ban.

20-30 years

They wouldn't have supported it (British Gov. did talk to them initially, then they cut them off).

The point is that Sinn Fein or the IRA would not have got the support of the nationalist community if the SDLP would have been powersharing under the Sunningdale Agreement.

Seriously, forget about it lads!

There will be an armed border by the end of next week unless Boris changes his tune.

20-30 years
    bubblypop wrote: »

There will be an armed border by the end of next week unless Boris changes his tune.

Okay so.

• Advertisement

30-40 years
    There will be a border in the next few days .

The people on the border had the British Army flying its rubbish out of bases because they couldn't go by land.

You're completely clueless.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement