Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

10-15 years
    2015 and 2017 are '10 years ago'?

I am not trying to convince anyone of anything. With the obduracy we see coming from you, that would be impossible.

Read the reports and the stats. MAKE YOUR OWN MIND UP

No, they aren't. Recent reports say 'Some members of the IRA believe that'.

Michelle O'Neill like all rational people saw the situation unfolding rapidly and changed her mind.
    Once again, rather than co-operating in the interests of ALL, Arlene and the DUP are taking the contrary position.

I saw O'Neill on the news alongside Arlene Foster,the Taoiseach and Coveney-she didn't have anything constructive to say and appeared to be sniping from the sidelines which is sadly a sinn fein tactic to hide their headless chicken knee jerk reactionary'non strategy'which is also followed by mary lou.
    The saying 'know all,knows f*ck all'springs to mind when either of them appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,264 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

RobMc59 wrote: »
    I saw O'Neill on the news alongside Arlene Foster,the Taoiseach and Coveney-she didn't have anything constructive to say and appeared to be sniping from the sidelines which is sadly a sinn fein tactic to hide their headless chicken knee jerk reactionary'non strategy'which is also followed by mary lou.
    The saying 'know all,knows f*ck all'springs to mind when either of them appears.

You would say that though Rob,

What others see is somebody looking for protection for the people they serve.

Arlene? After what she did with Brexit is just digging another hole for the DUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

20-30 years
    Well, the quality of politician involved enabled it to be so. Have you not read it or understood it?

For all of their less than redeeming qualities, and there are many; but at that time, Ahern, Clinton, Mitchell, Blair, McGuinness, Trimble, Hume, Mallon, Ervine, the Imperious Mowlam, Adams, Maginnis are of a level of quality of politicians that we could only wish to achieve in our politics today.

In fact, Julian Smith is the only British Minister of this era who could have sat comfortably in that crowd.

The GFA sees a UI as the end goal should it be so wished by the Irish people.
    That is something us Nationalists never thought we would ever see, a roadmap to an Ireland of equals.

That you would fight against the democratic will should it come to that would be shameful.
    No one is saying the GFA is the omega. But it is the constraint in which the Irish people have agreed to work within.

And it's better than people dying because they have issues with transubstantiation. :o
    No you are incorrect. Unsurprisingly you have extrapolated something from nothing. It wouldn't be like you.

THE GFA IS THE WILL OF THE PEOPLE.

Until otherwise decided by the Irish people,
    that is the only game in town. Are you okay with that?
    You forgot to mention bonnie that the possibility of a UI is also the decision of those in NI who identify as and are seen on mainland Britain as British.Its the likes of the ira who have had to pull their horns in and cease their murderous and intimidating ways which suits the rest of us whichever country you're from.

I repeatedly state that a UI can only be brought about by the people of Ireland. Where have I forgotten anyone?

The likes of the IRA? Care to name any other paramilitary organisation involved in heinous crimes in Ireland?

20-30 years

Foster complained that Stormont wasn't consulted when the Irish Govt made a decision.

Are we a foreign nation or what?

What constructive things could O'Neill say at that conference without getting into a live spat with the Foster?

Schools in the North should be closed. They should follow the South's lead and coordinate with the South. COVID-19 is a North South issue more than an East West one. Just like Foot and Mouth and BSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Foster complained that Stormont wasn't consulted when the Irish Govt made a decision.

Are we a foreign nation or what?

What constructive things could O'Neill say at that conference without getting into a live spat with the Foster?

Schools in the North should be closed. They should follow the South's lead and coordinate with the South. COVID-19 is a North South issue more than an East West one. Just like Foot and Mouth and BSE.

You couldn’t make it up. You have just spent several posts telling us you were happy with gfa Di you know that gfa means we are part of the uk so obviously we would follow uk instructions. You can’t cherry pick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

20-30 years
    downcow wrote: »
    Francie. You went way off again on a ‘let’s try and convince moderate nationalists that the PIRA were somehow less sectarian than loyalists’ by quoting a 10 year-old-report. Much more recent reports are saying the ira are controlling sf Look how quick Michelle was pulled into line yesterday causing her about turn.
    UDA are sectarian IRA are sectarian. It’s not difficult to type. Try it.

I have now provided endless evidence. Jm08 has disappeared. If he reappears and wants another 20 such IRA sectarian attacks on Protestant homes in my village I’ll give them to him. He still can’t admit it happened because it doesn’t suit his/your narrative. Not to mention of course every hall, school, church etc that Protestants met in attacked many times. If he wants that list I’ll put it together for him as well.

Facts are a wonderful thing

JM08 is waiting for you to provide evidence of ethnic cleansing of protestants of Castlewellan up to December 1973, which is when unionists/loyalists refused to powershare with the elected reps of the nationalist community(John Hume, Paddy Devlin and Austin Curry) Sunningdale Agreement.

The example you have given above is of December 1974 (after widespread disruption and rioting brought about loyalists works in the general strike of May that year in opposition to the Sunningdale Agreement).

Can you give me a reason why unionists would not powershare with the SDLP back then?

Michelle O'Neill like all rational people saw the situation unfolding rapidly and changed her mind.

Hahaha

20-30 years
    You couldn’t make it up. You have just spent several posts telling us you were happy with gfa Di you know that gfa means we are part of the uk so obviously we would follow uk instructions. You can’t cherry pick.

This has nothing to do with the GFA.

Why was Foster complaining yesterday so? Cmon, are you that blinkered.

Honestly, The HMG advice is batsh!t crazy.

We live on an island together. We need an all-island solution.

You love to cherry pick yourself. It's the Unionist way.

jm08 wrote: »
    JM08 is waiting for you to provide evidence of ethnic cleansing of protestants of Castlewellan up to December 1973, which is when unionists/loyalists refused to powershare with the elected reps of the nationalist community(John Hume, Paddy Devlin and Austin Curry) Sunningdale Agreement.

The example you have given above is of December 1974 (after widespread disruption and rioting brought about loyalists works in the general strike of May that year in opposition to the Sunningdale Agreement).

Can you give me a reason why unionists would not powershare with the SDLP back then?

No. Jmo8 was asked, if I provided evidence pre 1974 would he admit he was wrong? He hasn’t answered that question yet

Interesting that you think ethnic cleansing is ok from 74 on.

Just like Foot and Mouth and BSE.

So you agree the guards & army should shut down the border & restrict movement into the south?

• Advertisement

10-15 years
    You would say that though Rob,

What others see is somebody looking for protection for the people they serve.

Arlene? After what she did with Brexit is just digging another hole for the DUP.

Compare major countries in the EU with similar size populations to the UK and the UK is doing ok,in addition the EU has no unified strategy and many countries are just doing their own thing-so who is to say whose approach is correct?Certainly not SF.

20-30 years
    bubblypop wrote: »
    So you agree the guards & army should shut down the border & restrict movement into the south?

Yes that is exactly what I'm saying. Is there a disingenuous class one can take?

20-30 years
    Compare major countries in the EU with similar size populations to the UK and the UK is doing ok,in addition the EU has no unified strategy and many countries are just doing their own thing-so who is to say whose approach is correct?Certainly not SF.

The UK strategy is doomed to fail. It's actually beyond insane that they're doing it.

Just repeating "herd immunity" over and over doesn't make it better.

Britain will be Italy and Spain within a fortnight.

The North will likely be lockstep in with us by then as they watch the deaths skyrocket on the mainland.

Just let the thing run wild and only tell people to wash their hands and curtail visits to elderly relatives? That's a strategy?
    Even Trump is now spooked enough to shut down travel from Ireland and the UK as well.

Boris/Arlene: wash yer hands.

SF were ahead of everyone else demanding special status for northern Ireland on Brexit. Dublin and the EU eventually came on board with that and it was achieved.
    Why could they not be right about a sensible all island approach to a pandemic?

Foster is endangering life because she cannot be seen to be led by Dublin rather than London (who don't give a damn about northern Ireland)

The UK strategy is doomed to fail. It's actually beyond insane that they're doing it.

Just repeating "herd immunity" over and over doesn't make it better.

Britain will be Italy and Spain within a fortnight.

The North will likely be lockstep in with us by then as they watch the deaths skyrocket on the mainland.

The British expert who spoke after Boris was the best I have heard yet. Clear rational explanation. Went so far as to say we don’t want everyone to escape it as we need to build up immunity. This is coming year after year.

Scroll down to Patrick valance and have a watch. The nations are all doing the easy thing for those in charge ie close down. Boris has taken the courageous scientific way but unfortunately sport etc has not listened to him.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51857856

Just let the thing run wild and only tell people to wash their hands and curtail visits to elderly relatives? That's a strategy?
    Even Trump is now spooked enough to shut down travel from Ireland and the UK as well.

Boris/Arlene: wash yer hands.

SF were ahead of everyone else demanding special status for northern Ireland on Brexit. Dublin and the EU eventually came on board with that and it was achieved.
    Why could they not be right about a sensible all island approach to a pandemic?

Foster is endangering life because she cannot be seen to be led by Dublin rather than London (who don't give a damn about northern Ireland)

The only bit correct in this is that the other leaders have been spooked and didn’t hold their nerve

The British expert who spoke after Boris was the best I have heard yet. Clear rational explanation. Went so far as to say we don’t want everyone to escape it as we need to build up immunity. This is coming year after year.

Scroll down to Patrick valance and have a watch. The nations are all doing the easy thing for those in charge ie close down. Boris has taken the courageous scientific way but unfortunately sport etc has not listened to him.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51857856

This is the real world downcow...not the one were you live clearly, were getting one up on the opposition trumps life.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1238833773392822273

This is the real world downcow...not the one were you live clearly, were getting one up on the opposition trumps life.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1238833773392822273

You do know that on average 10,000 die of the flu in uk each year?
    If this virus had arrived before we had tests it would just have been regarded as a new strain of flu.
    It’s terribly sad for vulnerable people but we must keep some perspective.

You do know that on average 10,000 die of the flu in uk each year?
    If this virus had arrived before we had tests it would just have been regarded as a new strain of flu.
    It’s terribly sad for vulnerable people but we must keep some perspective.

People will die who don't need to. Bottom line of this 'policy'.

Boris will end up doing what everyone else is when it is too late and people will still be cheering him on.

Arlene - once again choosing the wrong side - will just deepen the sense that the only secure future for us is a united island approach.

10-15 years

Boris will end up doing what everyone else is when it is too late and people will still be cheering him on.

Arlene - once again choosing the wrong side - will just deepen the sense that the only secure future for us is a united island approach.
    Have you and bonnie got some hotline to world experts or like the rest of us don't know what's the best strategy over all this?Trying to score political points over this is despicable by SF and your support of their unsubstantiated claims that the British approach is wrong is equally despicable-slipping masks is an understatement!

• Advertisement

I have no idea how you know who’s got it right. I have no idea but am just being guided by the fact that the uk expert gave very clear thought out reasoning Compared to Leo s kneejerk that appeared to be for political reasons. I say again Leo and Michelle’s position are very easy to take and low risk for their political future.

Have you and bonnie got some hotline to world experts or like the rest of us don't know what's the best strategy over all this?Trying to score political points over this is despicable by SF and your support of their unsubstantiated claims that the British approach is wrong is equally despicable-slipping masks is an understatement!
    I have no idea how you know who’s got it right. I have no idea but am just being guided by the fact that the uk expert gave very clear thought out reasoning Compared to Leo s kneejerk that appeared to be for political reasons. I say again Leo and Michelle’s position are very easy to take and low risk for their political future.

People will die in the UK who don't need to. Boris has told you this himself.

Our medical experts are just as informed as the UK one, and their policy is to avoid loss of life.

Boris is standing alone in Europe, we wonder why? Arlene is messing with life in the south as the power to do what is right rests with the devolved government.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

15-20 years

They might not have a hotline, but I personally have a pretty good background in virology, Rob. The UK certainly have a strategy, and it is very clearly a strategy to prioritise economics over people.

It certainly isn't an unsubstantiated claim that the UK government is wrong, it is a matter of opinion which sort of strategic approach iss correct. If you have a sufficiently strong background in virology, and you can resist further appeal to authority type fallacious argument, feel free to PM me and I can discuss things further, as I think it's too off topic to really get into on here. I can fully put aside my Nationalist leanings when I tell you that on a scientific rather than political level, I believe the UK government are entirely wrong on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

30-40 years
    505611.png

These people, who've been living in Ireland for centuries, would rather chain the north of Ireland to Britain, even if it was sinking into the sea, than accept that Ireland is its own separate nation.

You are irredeemable.

505611.png

These people, who've been living in Ireland for centuries, would rather chain the north of Ireland to Britain, even if it was sinking into the sea, than accept that Ireland is its own separate nation.

You are irredeemable.

So junkyard back to the thread question How long do you think till this UI you have planned will happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭riddles

Given that the Republic of Ireland is a fractured society where the concept of a social contract and personal responsibility have been trampled into the dirt. I think we should resolve this before talking about reunification.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

30-40 years
    So junkyard back to the thread question How long do you think till this UI you have planned will happen?

At this stage? Who knows. I used think it was about maybe 20 years away but I wouldn't be surprised if it was many fewer years now. It could end up being a rescue mission as, and I'm sorry that this hurts your feelings, the Tories couldn't give a shite about NI and most of the British population too.

Regardless, you're not the type of person that we'll be trying to convince so don't worry about it.

10-15 years
    Fionn1952 wrote: »
    They might not have a hotline, but I personally have a pretty good background in virology, Rob. The UK certainly have a strategy, and it is very clearly a strategy to prioritise economics over people.

It certainly isn't an unsubstantiated claim that the UK government is wrong, it is a matter of opinion which sort of strategic approach iss correct. If you have a sufficiently strong background in virology, and you can resist further appeal to authority type fallacious argument, feel free to PM me and I can discuss things further, as I think it's too off topic to really get into on here. I can fully put aside my Nationalist leanings when I tell you that on a scientific rather than political level, I believe the UK government are entirely wrong on this.

The thing is Fionn, I have some experience myself in that field and wouldn't question the advice given to Johnson at this stage as I believe no one knows how this will pan out-i have every respect for the Irish health system but don't believe closing schools will slow the spread of the virus.

10-15 years
    People will die in the UK who don't need to. Boris has told you this himself.

Our medical experts are just as informed as the UK one, and their policy is to avoid loss of life.

Boris is standing alone in Europe, we wonder why? Arlene is messing with life in the south as the power to do what is right rests with the devolved government.
    Hopefully this could spell good news for everyone.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-vaccine-news-update-cases-clinical-testing-trials-a9402101.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭droidman123

"Uk" and "expert" in the same sentence cant be exactly taken serioisly.the british stance was the usual "we are superior and know better" attitude.there are a bunch of buffoons in charge of that country.apart from ordinary citizens of the uk paying the price of their stupidity it has an effect on my country too because of the current situation of 6 counties being occupied and administered by them.that is what is worrying to me,buffoons in government making desicions in relation to this horrible virus that could effect the whole of our island

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement