Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    EU response seens to be to close the borders. Least that's the way it going.

Is that what you're proposing Francie?

Brilliant post LOL

We are a foreign country we keep being told. Which is it?

Stop complaining about a decision made by the Taoiseach that undermined the inaction of the UK.

If you can't get your head out of your ass and see that a coordinated all island solution is required then there really is no point in engaging with you on this subject. Your attitude essentially boils down to "Taigs R Bad mmmkay".

Not at all. Leo has every right to do what he done. But don't complain afterwards that the UK have taken a different course when your leader was the one went on a solo run

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

10-15 years
    I have never said anything anti British. I will definitely criticise the British government and unionists who go on like DC.

I also never said I was from Ulster. Read that again.

Also, no matter what, all of Ulster is Irish Ulster. Jurisdictions aside.

You need to learn about nuance.
    And you need to accept NI is BRITISH until such times the people there(along with Ireland)say otherwise-didn't you agree that in the GFA?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,257 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

downcow wrote: »
    I think the two neighbouring sovereign nations should have talked to eachother and found a way to move forward together (or at least tried). That was all screwed when Leo panicked and issued his diktat from Washington and never even told the other jurisdiction which shares the Island, never mind the other sovereign nation.
    Disgraceful act really

Do you think he should have informed stormont or the NI medical experts as to what he was announcing?
    Whatever about the relations between them, what has happened has happened.

From his statement;
    Leo wrote:
    'Opposition party leaders and our counterparts in Northern Ireland and Britain will be briefed.'

Can you just answer the question now?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

20-30 years
    RobMc59 wrote: »
    And you need to accept NI is BRITISH until such times the people there(along with Ireland)say otherwise-didn't you agree that in the GFA?

Do you intentionally go out of your way to not read the detail of any part of any post in this thread. It's worrying that you fail to heed the meaning of what's written.

Where have I said that the Fermanagh, Antrim, Tyrone, Derry, Armagh and Down are not part of the UK or under its jurisdiction?

Why are you so aggressive?

• Advertisement

20-30 years
    Not at all. Leo has every right to do what he done. But don't complain afterwards that the UK have taken a different course when your leader was the one went on a solo run

I don't think you understand WHY the UK and its approach are being criticised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

FWIW I think there should be an all Island policy.
    Shouldn't be playing with politics in such a disaster.
    Land border trumps sea border in this case.

Both governments should have been in discussions long before any announcements and got their acts together.
    Poor work all round.

Don't like what UK are doing, especially now that we're not even testing people with mild symptoms...WTF!!!
    Although they're starting to progress the measures today, hopefully more to be announced.

Interesting article I though with regards to school closures...
    https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/03/does-closing-schools-slow-spread-novel-coronavirus

10-15 years
    I have never said anything anti British. I will definitely criticise the British government and unionists who go on like DC.

You need to learn about nuance.
    Do you intentionally go out of your way to not read the detail of any part of any post in this thread. It's worrying that you fail to heed the meaning of what's written.

Where have I said that the Fermanagh, Antrim, Tyrone, Derry, Armagh and Down are not part of the UK or under its jurisdiction?

Why are you so aggressive?

You did say the six counties are`nt part of the the UK bonnie,why deny it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

15-20 years

The two aren't mutually exclusive, Rob. The six counties are part of the UK, the six counties are part of Ireland. Both of those things can be true. Indeed, both are true at this moment in time whether or not particularly ardent and stubborn folk on either side stick their heads in the sand and shout otherwise.

Close the border immediately with Northern Ireland.
    No way should their inaction up there be allowed to affect people in the South.

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    Close the border immediately with Northern Ireland.
    No way should their inaction up there be allowed to affect people in the South.

Thought you claimed that was inevitable...by Tuesday you said wasn't it?

Leo definitively ruled it out today on foot of the EU travel ban.

20-30 years

You never read all of a post do you?

20-30 years
    Fionn1952 wrote: »
    The two aren't mutually exclusive, Rob. The six counties are part of the UK, the six counties are part of Ireland. Both of those things can be true. Indeed, both are true at this moment in time whether or not particularly ardent and stubborn folk on either side stick their heads in the sand and shout otherwise.

The ability to understand this sort of nuance is what seems to be absent in this conversation from our Mainland and Unionist brethren.

Thought you claimed that was inevitable...by Tuesday you said wasn't it?

Leo definitively ruled it out today on foot of the EU travel ban.

If they keep going the way they are, it's inevitable

I honestly don't get this, because you criticise British government actions that you are 'anti-British' that gets thrown around by a few posters here.

If I criticise (and I do) Irish government actions does that make me anti-Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

30-40 years
    Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    EU response seens to be to close the borders. Least that's the way it going.Is that what you're proposing Francie?

What border? There is no border in Ireland. There's certainly a border in the minds of unionists but there most definitely isn't one in the lives of the people who live where it once was and they will not sit by and watch it being reimposed.

505889.jpg

If they keep going the way they are, it's inevitable

When are expecting it to happen now?

When are expecting it to happen now?

Sure who knows francie, this thing changes every day doesn't it!

15-20 years
    Personally taught the irish government shouldve gone over fosters head to the uda to get unionists on board with some temporary all ireland measures

FFS the uda may be murdering *****,but their not stupid,even jamie bryson (admitedely hes uvf mind) is calling for everyone to work together

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Sure who knows francie, this thing changes every day doesn't it!

Scary times for everyone. New to us all.

Is China's total lockdown inevitable?

• Advertisement

20-30 years

I honestly don't get this, because you criticise British government actions that you are 'anti-British' that gets thrown around by a few posters here.

If I criticise (and I do) Irish government actions does that make me anti-Irish?

Well you're no blue shirt that's for sure. :P

Yeah, the equivalency keeps being drawn. I want to see the evidence.

I'm also biased and sectarian.

I best not visit Donaghcloney and Killfullert anymore lest I offend my mates there.

30-40 years
    I still have to pinch myself that you and your mates actually signed up to this. lol.

I explained in stark terms how the GFA works in essence.

Border poll 1: UI 0 - 1 UK
    Border poll 2: UI 0 - 1 UK
    Border poll 3: UI 0 - 1 UK
    Border poll 4: UI 1 - 0 UK (all over, no replay)

How do you keep NI in the UK? You be nice to the neighbours you once made winding-up a summer long pastime, your future under UK jurisdiction is in their hands.

Either way, you'll be dealing with a young educated population of Nationalists at all levels of society.

Be nice.

What border? There is no border in Ireland. There's certainly a border in the minds of unionists but there most definitely isn't one in the lives of the people who live where it once was and they will not sit by and watch it being reimposed.

505889.jpg

You may get out with buckets of paint and new tarmac. It is fairly obvious the many changes as you cross the border I don’t see any changes when you drive out of you old 9 county Ulster into Leinster.

Personally taught the irish government shouldve gone over fosters head to the uda to get unionists on board with some temporary all ireland measures

FFS the uda may be murdering *****,but their not stupid,even jamie bryson (admitedely hes uvf mind) is calling for everyone to work together

Pity Leo didn’t listen to Jamie then.

10-15 years

How do you keep NI in the UK? You be nice to the neighbours you once made winding-up a summer long pastime because your future under UK jurisdiction is in their hands.

Either way you'll be dealing with a young educated population of Nationalists at all levels of society.

Be nice.

Are they nationalists though Tom?Or just young educated,well informed people who probably don`t have any empathy with what they see as outdated catholic/protestant nonsense and are quite happy to remain part of the UK?

How do you keep NI in the UK? You be nice to the neighbours you once made winding-up a summer long pastime because your future under UK jurisdiction is in their hands.

Either way you'll be dealing with a young educated population of Nationalists at all levels of society.

Be nice.

....or what must give you nightmares, we may be dealing with a growing majority who just feel northern Irish and it will be all over, no replay.

30-40 years
    You may get out with buckets of paint and new tarmac. It is fairly obvious the many changes as you cross the border I don’t see any changes when you drive out of you old 9 county Ulster into Leinster.

505898.png

One nation, one Ireland. You're welcome to join us.

15-20 years
    ....or what must give you nightmares, we may be dealing with a growing majority who just feel northern Irish and it will be all over, no replay.

Mate

If this is what your grasping onto to preserve the union,you may just throw the towel in now

30-40 years
    Are they nationalists though Tom?Or just young educated,well informed people who probably don`t have any empathy with what they see as outdated catholic/protestant nonsense and are quite happy to remain part of the UK?

I'll put it this way Rob, they won't be shouting for GB&NI in the Olympics.

Religion is irrelevant. Catholics and Protestants are equally irreligious I'd say.

• Advertisement

One interesting point re approach to corona. If uk can get enough exposed gradually ASAP then we have a chance of getting this done and dusted in the summer.
    Roi strategy of prolonging the inevitable exposure has one serious risk - it may not be done and dusted in the summer and it would be absolute disaster to head into the winter with it still rampant.
    Just a thought

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement