Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

10-15 years
    Ah. The old EU is imploding line. Meanwhile, the British are still carrying on as if it's business as usual while the truth is becoming ever more apparent to the actual people on the ground. Ireland is better off outside the UK. If you don't believe me, look at Wales, Scotland and NI.

I hope the EU will come through this,the same as I hope the UK does.Correct me if I`m wrong but don`t you live and work in the UK?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,985 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

RobMc59 wrote: »
    I hope the EU will come through this,the same as I hope the UK does.Correct me if I`m wrong but don`t you live and work in the UK?

I live and work in the UK. What are you saying?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Britain is not a stable partner. I'm so glad we are in the EU.

506035.jpg

Great image. The bow door open immediately reminded me of the Herald of Free Enterprise in Zebrugge. I trust the EU won't come to the same end.

heres what happened - some possible similarities :-)

The ship left harbour with her bow-door open, and the sea immediately flooded the decks; within minutes, she was lying on her side in shallow water. The immediate cause of the sinking was found to be negligence by the assistant boatswain, who was asleep in his cabin when he should have been closing the bow-door. However, the official inquiry placed more blame on his supervisors and a general culture of poor communication. wikipedia

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭beerguts

Ulster Says No. It will never happen
    I appreciate this sort of post. It's the sort of level headed posts missing around these parts for those who are happy with the status quo.

The thing is, the processes of how we would unite don't exist yet nor do we know what sort of lead time we'd require.

Scotland put a 18months to 2 year timeline on their independence. I'd say we'd be similar. The thing about something like this, while a long lead in would be preferable from a logistical point of view, as Brexit showed, you have to move with a plan and with purpose, so I would think that by the time a vote came around that a plan would have been in place and we would not only be voting to reunify but also for a anew agreed Ireland.

Unfortunately, there's too many variables to discuss everything you bring up here.

You don't mind me asking where you are from?

It's not a new phenomenon, but the friction of distance and geographical gravity will always leads to what you have stated. It's perfectly normal.
    Sorry for the late reply. I am from Galway specifically west of the Corrib. I have been North twice i my life and I have enjoyed both trips and met nice people. However it did not feel the same as in comparing it with my lifetime experiences down here be it in Dublin, down in Cork or out where I am from.
    Now I don't deny that they are Irish, as we are all on the Island of Ireland and of our shared History down through the ages as some idiots would.

However I cant see how we can realistically reunite without some side getting really irritated with either the cost or the change in services or how they are provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

30-40 years
    downcow wrote: »

Yes, yes, Britain strong EU weak. Any minute now.

506038.jpg

• Advertisement

10-15 years
    Yes, yes, Britain strong EU weak. Any minute now.

506038.jpg

Wrong thread Tom-this is the how long before a UI :rolleyes:

10-15 years
    I live and work in the UK. What are you saying?

You have been able to pursue your career here in the UK when perhaps that opportunity was`nt available elsewhere-are we really such a bunch of boorish sh*thouses?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

20-30 years
    Bonnie. No riddles. no more games. Ask me a straight question and i promise you will get a straight answer. Lets have no more smoke screens

Here ya go...
    Sorry, it was "ethnic cleansing" that you used.

Perhaps if jm08 changed the wording you would have an issue with the substantive point of his post?

If not, I'm sure you're capable of highlighting the inaccuracies of his posts supposition of your position?

20-30 years
    No unity,disagreement on strategy-even China offering to help Spain and Italy-hardly reassuring for the future of the EU.
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/mar/14/eu-economies-divided-on-coronavirus-action

Well, you've nothing to be worried about being out of the EU so.

Plough your own furrow but maybe leave us out of it.

I take it you didn't watch Ursula Van Der Leyen's speech yesterday then.

Ridiculous post.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,985 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You have been able to pursue your career here in the UK when perhaps that opportunity was`nt available elsewhere-are we really such a bunch of boorish sh*thouses?

I never said you were.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

20-30 years
    Great image. The bow door open immediately reminded me of the Herald of Free Enterprise in Zebrugge. I trust the EU won't come to the same end.

The ship left harbour with her bow-door open, and the sea immediately flooded the decks; within minutes, she was lying on her side in shallow water. The immediate cause of the sinking was found to be negligence by the assistant boatswain, who was asleep in his cabin when he should have been closing the bow-door. However, the official inquiry placed more blame on his supervisors and a general culture of poor communication. wikipedia

Aren't you funny.

Here ya go...

You are in a Bonnie situation now. I have asked you to put a straight question with no riddles and you point me with a very riddle to go and search for another riddle and try to guess what jmO8 meant.

I think the mask might just have slipped. You don’t like concise questions with concise answers because then you might have to start facing some of your demons.

I am still up for any question any time Bonnie

20-30 years
    You are in a Bonnie situation now. I have asked you to put a straight question with no riddles and you point me with a very riddle to go and search for another riddle and try to guess what jmO8 meant.

I think the mask might just have slipped. You don’t like concise questions with concise answers because then you might have to start facing some of your demons.

I am still up for any question any time Bonnie
    Yes my biased sectarian mask has slipped.

I asked you whether, outside of jm08's use of the word "genocide", was his post an accurate portrayal of your stance?

I mean, I figured a British subject would have quite an advanced grasp of the English language. It didn't seem that impenetrable. I may have been incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Just heard Leo on TV there.
    He's very impressive and assured.

And we have Boris... I'm not religious, but please pray for us.

Yes my biased sectarian mask has slipped.

I asked you whether, outside of jm08's use of the word "genocide", was his post an accurate portrayal of your stance?

I mean, I figured a British subject would have quite an advanced grasp of the English language. It didn't seem that impenetrable. I may have been incorrect.

So Bonnie I followed your little treasure hunt and I think this is the post you mean.

“ Quote: jm08
    Well, unionists sure are going the right way about building a deeper connection with nationalists so that they would want to remain in an independent NI with unionists without the moderating influence either the British or Irish Governments. All the signs are that unionists do not want to accommodate the Irish half of the population.
    On the other hand DC, bearing in mind that you think that there is a programme of genocide against unionists in NI, are you not concerned about being the minority in this new independent state?”

A bit of a riddle but I think I see two questions in it.
    1. “that unionists do not want to accommodate the Irish half of the population”
    Personally I think it is the very interaction of the two main communities here that makes us unique. Culturally we have a huge amount in common over roi or gb. I absolutely want my nationalist ni friends and neighbours to be partners in our future together.

2. “are you not concerned about being the minority in this new independent state?”

I never expect ni to be truly independent, nor do I desire it to be. But would that be more concerning than being an even smaller minority in the 32 counties - no. I think we can all see that.
    Tbh I believe the days of nationalist and unionists mass slaughtering each other based on sectarianism are over - minor stuff may go on.
    I am not afraid of living in roi because the bad people might get me. I just love my country and don’t want to see it gobbled up by my neighbouring nation. Is that so unusual. Prob same as you would feel if gb wanted to take over roi I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 69,257 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    Just heard Leo on TV there.
    He's very impressive and assured.

And we have Boris... I'm not religious, but please pray for us.

Genuinely fearful of what's ahead...disobey your leaders...think of your family first is my advice. Keep them out of school or work if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Genuinely fearful of what's ahead...disobey your leaders...think of your family first is my advice. Keep them out of school or work if necessary.

Just made that call a couple of hours ago... Like many others.. my children will not be at school in the foreseeable.

Just made that call a couple of hours ago... Like many others.. my children will not be at school in the foreseeable.

If Northern Ireland are going to continue going along with Boris ideas, we need to protect the border between north & south.
    This is not political, it's a public health issue. We need to do something

bubblypop wrote: »
    If Northern Ireland are going to continue going along with Boris ideas, we need to protect the border between north & south.

I can understand your sentiments if you feel our strategy is putting you lives at risk. I wouldn’t wait for the British to defend it cause for 40 years when we feared for our lives because of what was crossing the border the Irish didn’t do anything about it as they were not the ones under threat.
    So I think if you need it protected you prob have to get on with it yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

30-40 years

Isolate older people. Our family has cocooned our elderly parents, who both have health issues, since last week. No visits from us or the Grandchildren, prescriptions and shopping delivered and left to the door. They're both on Whatsapp so they get plenty of pics and videos to keep their spirits up.

• Advertisement

I can understand your sentiments if you feel our strategy is putting you lives at risk. I wouldn’t wait for the British to defend it cause for 40 years when we feared for our lives because of what was crossing the border the Irish didn’t do anything about it as they were not the ones under threat.

and the victim complex emerges again.

I issue I have with the uk approach is the very limited testing. I would like us to be able to know afterwards what % of people have had it so as if it comes next year we have a sense of how many still have not.
    We don’t even know if we have had it / or have it ourselves.

and the victim complex emerges again.

You do a fair old victim routine yourself Francie on everything from the famine to the hunger strikes.

Isolate older people. Our family has cocooned our elderly parents, who both have health issues, since last week. No visits from us or the Grandchildren, prescriptions and shopping delivered and left to the door. They're both on Whatsapp so they get plenty of pics and videos to keep their spirits up.

Yeah this is the key and where the energy should go.
    I hope they keep well. A worrying time no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Ulster Says No. It will never happen

Jesus christ, but you just never stop do you. :rolleyes: Themuns themuns themuns.
    We'll see how "your" strategy works out. Do you know how many ventilators in the UK compared to Italy etc?

You do a fair old victim routine yourself Francie on everything from the famine to the hunger strikes.

G'wan and find a post where I mentioned either downcow.

Granadino wrote: »
    Jesus christ, but you just never stop do you. :rolleyes: Themuns themuns themuns.
    We'll see how "your" strategy works out. Do you know how many ventilators in the UK compared to Italy etc?

I have listened to endless themuns directed at the uk and it’s certainly not all logical and rational.
    Some posters have very logical rational reasons why they are upset and angry at the uk on corona but others are just spitting the same old same old anti Brit stuff as on every topic

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

20-30 years
    bubblypop wrote: »

10,000 British Army soldiers couldn't seal the border during the troubles. Its unsealable. Thats why no one is going to try and why Ireland/EU are insisting on a border in the Irish Sea.

jm08 wrote: »
    10,000 British Army soldiers couldn't seal the border during the troubles. Its unsealable. Thats why no one is going to try and why Ireland/EU are insisting on a border in the Irish Sea.

Absolutely. FG need to be banging tables here and insisting on an all island approach. To hell with party political sensitivities. Everything coming onto this island treated the same way and if a school or service is shut here it is shut in the north.

• Advertisement

jm08 wrote: »

This is not political.
    This is a public health issue.
    It's a temporary measure & it worked when it was an animal disease, surely people are more important than animals!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement