Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭droidman123

Once again the dup make themselves look like buffoons,unfortunatly this time they have probably cost lives,shame on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭droidman123

The dup make trump look intelligent,i just hope at last that their supporters now see through them, i wont hold my breath though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

10-15 years
    Closing the schools?

Uh oh, it looks like Rob has jumped the gun and hasn't read the full post he's responding to again.

Afraid not bonnie,I was referring to many countries keeping schools open to children of essential services staff(nurses,doctors etc)I'm surprised you are unaware of this tbh.

15-20 years
    The dup make trump look intelligent,i just hope at last that their supporters now see through them, i wont hold my breath though

If the english jumped off a cliff,arlene foster would follow em just to own the shinners

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

20-30 years
    RobMc59 wrote: »
    Afraid not bonnie,I was referring to many countries keeping schools open to children of essential services staff(nurses,doctors etc)I'm surprised you are unaware of this tbh.

Again, my comment related to closing schools. I don't care that there's arrangements in place for frontline workers and others.

My comment merely states that Wales, Scotland, the North and now England have rowed in behind Ireland and the rest of Europe and closed their schools.

So I'm wondering if this counts as a fundamentally brilliant British idea now that they have accepted the folly of what they have been (not) doing up to now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,690 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Ulster Says No. It will never happen
    downcow wrote: »
    I guess this will dismay many of you. But it is what it is.
    I am watching the economic disaster unfold and I desperately wish Europe had followed uk decisions. Uk is struggling as the panic and but covering is infectious leading to significant closures in NI & gb.
    So we are on a similar downward spiral economically.

The uk believed they could hold this to 20,000 deaths. Even if that had been quadrupled, that would be 80,000. That’s 1 in every 1,000 people (and most old and already ill). So in my town of 2,000 people, two people with serious underlying issues would have died. This year 800,000 people will die in uk from other causes, that’s 20 in my town.

Please don’t launch another attack on me or my politics. I am trying to be realistic. I will be surprised if 2 people in my town don’t die because of the dire economic situation we are heading for. Do you have any idea what this is going to do to funding for health service, homeless, addictions, etc for the next decade plus.

We should have stayed open and spent our resources on cocooning the elderly and vulnerable. We are doing them no favours with our current approach

I am not sure where you get your figured from of 20k. The UK strategy is very high risk. To achieve herd immunity you need 60% approximately of the population to get the virus. If there health service is overwhelmed the death rate could exceed 2% of cases. With a population of 65 million you are taking about a death rate that could exceed 750k people. It is quit possible that in a bell curve situation the death rate could hit 3-5% as the health system is completely unable to cope. We do not want to go there.

Slava Ukrainii

10-15 years
    Again, my comment related to closing schools. I don't care that there's arrangements in place for frontline workers and others.

My comment merely states that Wales, Scotland, the North and now England have rowed in behind Ireland and the rest of Europe and closed their schools.

So I'm wondering if this counts as a fundamentally brilliant British idea now that they have accepted the folly of what they have been (not) doing up to now.

So you are`nt concerned about key workers like nurses,doctors,ambulance staff,Gardai etc not having to worry about who is looking after their children when they do their jobs?

20-30 years
    So you are`nt concerned about key workers like nurses,doctors,ambulance staff,Gardai etc not having to worry about who is looking after their children when they do their jobs?

Again, Rob fundamentally misses the point and goes off on one.

I for one am shocked and appalled .

• Registered Users Posts: 69,257 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

There wasn't a mention of this when you and downcow were lauding the British approach a few days ago.

You are coming into line, kicking and screaming as usual, but those who will survive as a result of this will be thankful. Tragic for those who are going to needlessly die as a result of a pig headed, willy measuring experiment gone wrong though.

10-15 years
    There wasn't a mention of this when you and downcow were lauding the British approach a few days ago.

You are coming into line, kicking and screaming as usual, but those who will survive as a result of this will be thankful. Tragic for those who are going to needlessly die as a result of a pig headed, willy measuring experiment gone wrong though.

Britain is adapting it`s strategy as and when required,there have been over 50,000 coronavirus tests in the UK to date which stands up pretty well compared to other countries.There has been increased military activity(convoys sighted on motorways etc),why that is is anyone`s guess,although this has sparked rumours of martial law being imposed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Britain is adapting it`s strategy as and when required,there have been over 50,000 coronavirus tests in the UK to date which stands up pretty well compared to other countries.There has been increased military activity(convoys sighted on motorways etc),why that is is anyone`s guess,although this has sparked rumours of martial law being imposed.

I'm as pro a UK unionist as the next man Rob.
    However what's going on here sn't great.

Why aren't we testing testing and more testing. Then testing again and again.
    That's what the WHO advises.
    We don't even know the size of the issue at the minute, then how will we know it's getting better, how will we track the super spreaders, etc etc.
    Only reason I can see why we aren't doing this is that we maybe can't cope with the work load. They need to throw money at this imo and get whatever resource they need. There's many people out of work already so not rocket science to get the people.
    I totally understand the economy needs to be balanced in this, but have yet to see a reason for not testing everyone with symptoms. Have I missed something here?

Other half here is in the NHS. The lack of guidance, information & resource is much much worse than disgraceful. Again it's a complete disaster that the people at the top are complicit in.

Its a disaster waiting to happen in my view.
    As for the schools only closing now, holy Jesus.
    Thankfully they've finally bowed to public/ union / teacher pressure

Boris is a complete total and utter moron in my view. And in the Non NI UK world of politics I'd be a lot more inclined towards Tory party than any other.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

And a great pity that the Sinn Fein government in the North was unable to do something about it. As the cash for ash report suggests, they are unable to act in a collective government and persuade their partners in government to act differently, an inability to compromise, to negotiate and to work with others clearly shown up again.

10-15 years
    Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    I'm as pro a UK unionist as the next man Rob.
    However what's going on here sn't great.

Why aren't we testing testing and more testing. Then testing again and again.
    That's what the WHO advises.
    We don't even know the size of the issue at the minute, then how will we know it's getting better, how will we track the super spreaders, etc etc.
    Only reason I can see why we aren't doing this is that we maybe can't cope with the work load. They need to throw money at this imo and get whatever resource they need. There's many people out of work already so not rocket science to get the people.
    I totally understand the economy needs to be balanced in this, but have yet to see a reason for not testing everyone with symptoms. Have I missed something here?

Other half here is in the NHS. The lack of guidance, information & resource is much much worse than disgraceful. Again it's a complete disaster that the people at the top are complicit in.

Its a disaster waiting to happen in my view.
    As for the schools only closing now, holy Jesus.
    Thankfully they've finally bowed to public/ union / teacher pressure

Boris is a complete total and utter moron in my view. And in the Non NI UK world of politics I'd be a lot more inclined towards Tory party than any other.

The UK has carried out over 50,000 tests and according to Germany,whose health service is highly regarded the UK is`nt on the list of risky destinations ..(it should auto translate) https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Risikogebiete.html

15-20 years
    blanch152 wrote: »
    And a great pity that the Sinn Fein government in the North was unable to do something about it. As the cash for ash report suggests, they are unable to act in a collective government and persuade their partners in government to act differently, an inability to compromise, to negotiate and to work with others clearly shown up again.

Mate your dealing with people in the DUP,who believe in creationism and are widespread climate change deniers??

These people deny outright proven science and you wish to try perauade them,not to be corrupt....we cant even get FF/FG not to be corrupt

But you are right,stormont isnt worth a fcuk and is effect a glorified town council,and this pandemic just highlights the stupidness of 2 juristicions on the island......even the uvf are looking to dublin on how to do.things to help their communities

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

15-20 years

Ah Blanch, was your threadban lifted? Great to see you back......and straight back to the usual, 'make everything about SF' approach!

What do you suggest SF could or should have done about it?

20-30 years

There is no question that adapting to an evolving situation is a laudable thing to do, but so far Britain is trying to play catch up to the rest of us who were "issuing diktats" and "overreacting" only a few days ago.

Britain seems to be beyond criticism and I don't know why.

Our problem here is that the British inaction, YET AGAIN, is causing trouble for the island of Ireland because they can't just get their shít together.

How you can defend that is beyond me and how you think our reaction is OTT is also beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

30-40 years

Has any of this made you think there should be one authority in Ireland coordinating a response?

Or is your weird all-consuming hatred of SF and its 700,000 voters as precious to you as the so-called union is to Sammy Wilson and Gregory Campbell?

10-15 years
    Fionn1952 wrote: »
    Ah Blanch, was your threadban lifted? Great to see you back......and straight back to the usual, 'make everything about SF' approach!

What do you suggest SF could or should have done about it?

Fionn,lets be honest,whether it`s mary lou,michelle O`Neil or the SF supporters here on boards-they all like to preach about how to do things or what a balls up everyone else in making of things but lets see what they have to say in reply to Blanch`s direct question-sportsman`s bet they just attack him because they can`t answer,only criticise everyone else`s efforts.

The UK has carried out over 50,000 tests and according to Germany,whose health service is highly regarded the UK is`nt on the list of risky destinations ..(it should auto translate) https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Risikogebiete.html

We're only testing if you get seriously sick, at hospital etc.
    Otherwise just self isolate.
    Yet the BBC tell us every day how many positive tests. You can totally ignore that metric because many many people aren't getting tested. Cannot agree with this strategy.
    A local company to me here makes a test kit that's been used already. They've no orders at the minute. Plenty of stock. So that's clearly not the issue.
    I really can't get my head round this at all.

Might not be on any warning list, yet... but we're thought to be about 3 weeks behind Italy I think. Chance to get ahead of this and be proactive. Just don't see enough being done to get out front.

20-30 years

I have no words for you.

The UK isn't on the list of risky destinations as per a German website? Is that how high one has to reach to impress you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Quite.
    And Randox based in the UK (in my wee country) has a 4 hour in situ test developed in last number of days which is now being used in China and will soon be rolled out across Europe I believe uk will also crack antibody test one next few days which will be greatest breakthrough as we’ll know which nhs workers etc are safe around Covid patient.
    The eu may be thankfull uk got the virus and developed the vaccine, the quick test and the antibody test.
    Our boys are coming to the rescue lol

10-15 years
    I have no words for you.

The UK isn't on the list of risky destinations as per a German website? Is that how high one has to reach to impress you?

The Robert Koch Institute is a German federal government agency bonnie. :rolleyes:

20-30 years
    Fionn,lets be honest,whether it`s mary lou,michelle O`Neil or the SF supporters here on boards-they all like to preach about how to do things or what a balls up everyone else in making of things but lets see what they have to say in reply to Blanch`s direct question-sportsman`s bet they just attack him because they can`t answer,only criticise everyone else`s efforts.

Nationalists =/= SF supporters

Again, nuance not a strong suit.

The efforts being criticised here are almost solely the UK efforts, as they are potentially hampering efforts in the south and are putting Irish people island-wide at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,257 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Again...it was you and downcow that were preaching a few days ago...from a 'superior' place.
    Yet here is the UK rowing as hard as they can just to keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

15-20 years

.....you're expecting Blanch to get a reply from Mary Lou or Michelle O'Neill?!

Given that in this particular instance, they are not in a position to do anything but talk about what they think should be done, I genuinely don't understand what Blanch expects of them?

Take a group of the greatest politicians you can imagine and put them in SF's position in the North.....do you think that group would be able to assert control over the entire UK strategy via excellent statesmanship with Boris Johnson to engage their plans?

I may be mistaken, but I haven't heard much complaining from them down here with the Irish government's approach, beyond calling for an all island approach, which is an obvious one to even the most ardent of Loyalists in the North. Jamie feckin' Bryson is calling out for it for Christ's sake!

20-30 years
    I have no words for you.

[/B]
    The Robert Koch Institute is a German federal government agency bonnie. :rolleyes:

Rob not reading a full post again.

I'll help you out:
    RobMc59 feels that the Robert Koch Institute, which on its website lists at-risk destinations, does not include the UK in this list, and because of this designation, the UK approach should be lauded.

My thoughts on this:
    It's rather pathetic, that you think that this is something to be proud of. Has the bar fallen that low?

Nationalists =/= SF supporters

Again, nuance not a strong suit.

The efforts being criticised here are almost solely the UK efforts, as they are potentially hampering efforts in the south and are putting Irish people island-wide at risk.

Equally... Unionist =/= DUP supporter.

20-30 years
    Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    Equally... Unionist =/= DUP supporter.

I NEVER make that assumption.

I'm responding directly to someone who repeatedly makes that mistake.

10-15 years
    Rob not reading a full post again.

I'll help you out:
    RobMc59 feels that the Robert Koch Institute, which on its website lists at-risk destinations, does not include the UK in this list, and because of this designation, the UK approach should be lauded.

My thoughts on this:
    It's rather pathetic, that you think that this is something to be proud of. Has the bar fallen that low?

I linked that from the German government website bonnie,if you're going to be untruthful to hide your embarrassment there's no point engaging with you tbh.

• Advertisement

I NEVER make that assumption.

I'm responding directly to someone who repeatedly makes that mistake.

Apologies to you.

Info for others ;-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement