Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

10-15 years
    Of course not. Do you see why some of us want our country whole? You know the occupied, U.K. portion of Ireland is only part of the Irish province of Ulster?
    In the case of Scottish independence all you'd be losing is Westminster's authority over the Scots, a separate country.

Thing is Matt,Ireland was part of the UK and split away-it wasn't an occupied country as such.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

10-15 years
    Oh god

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Thing is Matt,Ireland was part of the UK and split away-it wasn't an occupied country as such.

This is an Irish Ascendancy class point of view Rob, please revise.

10-15 years
    You look after the UK then Rob.

Do you really have any right to look down your nose at Irish people who wish to look after their own people, north and south?

I`m not looking down my nose at anyone,having a different opinion or point of view is`nt looking down your nose.

10-15 years
    This is an Irish Ascendancy class point of view Rob, please revise.

Little history lesson for you francie,Matt and ffs
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/46480953

• Advertisement

10-15 years

Dig up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

10-15 years

Do you recall the democratic referendum under which we joined the UK?
    We split nothing, the invader/occupiers left, retaining six counties of the Irish province of Ulster on the island of Ireland.

10-15 years

The british hung people in my school yard. I'm familiar with the history.

10-15 years
    The british hung people in my school yard. I'm familiar with the history.

Not knowing anything about it I couldn't comment,where and when did that happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Yes the quality of debate is poor. You're just looking desperate now.

Well, your opinion on matters unification can safely be dismissed as an irrelevance.

You've already admitted that there is no price you aren't willing to pay. The vast majority of the electorate don't share this opinion.

€205 billion in the red and the Shinnerbots and their clappy-seals want to take on a financial basket-case

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2019/0704/1060035-national-debt/

Not happening lads.

Not happening.

• Advertisement

I`m not looking down my nose at anyone,having a different opinion or point of view is`nt looking down your nose.

Yes you are. Comments like this
    In the land of unicorns and soft fluffy things the cost of a UI is an unimportant distraction but unfortunately in reality the piper must be paid-as soon as the fact that the tax payers will have to shoulder the burden the airy-fairy ideals will fly out of the window.

while reserving the right to safeguard your own Union because you have
    a mixture of sentiment and patriotism

is looking down your nose. The Irish have every right to make decisions based on sentiment and patriotism too.

What is the 'lesson' there? Ireland was a part of the UK because the Irish Ascendancy class decided to be. Fact.

Well, your opinion on matters unification can safely be dismissed as an irrelevance.

You've already admitted that there is no price you aren't willing to pay. The vast majority of the electorate don't share this opinion.

€205 billion in the red and the Shinnerbots and their clappy-seals want to take on a financial basket-case

Not happening lads.

Not happening.

205 billion in debt and we are still electing those who got us there.

And 37% is NOT a vast majority

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

10-15 years

Not happening lads.

Not happening.

Curiously enough if ireland took on NIs portion of uk debt....it would still reduce amount of debt per person across entire island and in theory at least make it easier for ireland to borrow money

10-15 years
    Not knowing anything about it I couldn't comment,where and when did that happen?

You suggested myself and others acquaint ourselves with the history. My school played a role in the history. It was a former army barracks were some of the men involved in 1916 were held. Point being, I don't need a BBC FAQ or 'did you know?' on Irish history.

10-15 years
    Yes you are. Comments like this

while reserving the right to safeguard your own Union because you have

is looking down your nose. The Irish have every right to make decisions based on sentiment and patriotism too.

What is the 'lesson' there? Ireland was a part of the UK because the Irish Ascendancy class decided to be. Fact.
    Nothing wrong with an Irish person wanting a UI,if it's ever a possibility and Ireland come up with detailed plans on how they intend to finance it then perhaps there will be a vote.
    A straight yes or no vote(which I believe you favour)isn't going to happen-we've all seen the folly of the UK brexit referendum-I know lots of people who voted to leave now saying "this isn't what we were told was going to happen "!So I doubt the people of NI or indeed Ireland would make that mistake.

10-15 years

Not happening lads.

Not happening.

Look, you keep repeating your nonsense and people will take the piss.
    Key points:
    SF doesn't own the idea of a UI. People who don't or seldom vote SF want a UI. people who truly want a UI will take on any cost. We've wasted far much more money on less and on that point the figures are pulled from your arse.

A straight yes or no vote(which I believe you favour)isn't going to happen-we've all seen the folly of the UK brexit referendum

We don't do referendums the way you do yours.

The question in a border poll will most likely take the form that it did in the GFA...i.e. a proposal, yes or no, to change our constitution, accompanied with a larger document proposing what is involved.

We will also have a full and transparent debate about the issues with facts presented by both sides.

10-15 years
    You suggested myself and others acquaint ourselves with the history. My school played a role in the history. It was a former army barracks were some of the men involved in 1916 were held. Point being, I don't need a BBC FAQ or 'did you know?' on Irish history.

You obviously didn't know Ireland was part of the UK.

10-15 years

Isnt the act of union regarded as a corrupt treaty nowadays as was bought about due to corruptuon and bribery

Typical of a certain mindset. Try and pretend now that the Act Of Union represented the wishes of all the people of Ireland.

Don't go digging that hole Rob, do yourself a favour.

• Advertisement

10-15 years

Why? Can you explain that conclusion?
    Northern Ireland isn't a country. Imagine Cornwall was under French jurisdiction and you needed Euros to shop there and a passport to enter it. Would you be telling your fellow Englishmen looking to unify England that they should leave well enough alone?
    You said we split from the UK. We gained partial freedom from an invader occupier. Massive difference. We didn't break up the band, we freed from a foreign power.

10-15 years
    _blaaz wrote: »
    Isnt the act of union regarded as a corrupt treaty nowadays as was bought about due to corruptuon and bribery

Only if you want to rewrite history which sadly happens a lot amongst republicans-like saying Ireland was`nt part of the UK.

Only if you want to rewrite history which sadly happens a lot amongst republicans-like saying Ireland was`nt part of the UK.

Who said it wasn't?

10-15 years
    Typical of a certain mindset. Try and pretend now that the Act Of Union represented the wishes of all the people of Ireland.

Don't go digging that hole Rob, do yourself a favour.

Francie,Ireland was part of the UK -FACT

10-15 years

Mate....it wasnt put to concent of majority of population (and those of gratten parliment were offered ridcolus financial benefits/vast tracta of land to vote for it...and run roost over natives)

Idk what standred you hold democracy too...but brexit is democratic ....the 1801 act of union isnt

Francie,Ireland was part of the UK -FACT

What is your point about that?

We had many risings and eventually the Irish ascendancy's wish to be a part of the UK was overthrown.
    The Act Of Union was not the wish of anyone but the Irish Ascendancy secured in power by the British. Fact.

10-15 years
    Nothing wrong with an Irish person wanting a UI,if it's ever a possibility and Ireland come up with detailed plans on how they intend to finance it then perhaps there will be a vote.
    A straight yes or no vote(which I believe you favour)isn't going to happen-we've all seen the folly of the UK brexit referendum-I know lots of people who voted to leave now saying "this isn't what we were told was going to happen "!So I doubt the people of NI or indeed Ireland would make that mistake.

Ireland is in a supremely different universe and class at planning researching and educating the population on referendums than the uk. We have one every few years.

The biggest fvckup apart from Cameron actually calling the stupid brexit ref was not turning to Britain’s nearest neighbor to find out how to actually run a referendum.

There wouldn’t be any voter regret because every citizen of voting age would be informed and educated with all the info they need before the ref took place. Something the Brits failed utterly to do hence the anger and division over there now

10-15 years
    Ireland is in a supremely different universe and class at planning researching and educating the population on referendums than the uk. We have one every few years.

The biggest fvckup apart from Cameron actually calling the stupid brexit ref was not turning to Britain’s nearest neighbor to find out how to actually run a referendum.

There wouldn’t be any voter regret because every citizen of voting age would be informed and educated with all the info they need before the ref took place. Something the Brits failed utterly to do hence the anger and division over there now

I agree with you completely,I voted to remain in 2016 and still hope we stay.Although whether the rest of Europe would ever forgive Britain(especially Ireland) remains to be seen.

I agree with you completely,I voted to remain in 2016 and still hope we stay.Although whether the rest of Europe would ever forgive Britain(especially Ireland) remains to be seen.

I cannot see how the UK can return to normal politics, try as I might. Even if they get by Brexit, I think the damage has been done. Scotland will diverge away and northern Ireland can never trust a Tory government again.
    They have more problems internally to worry about than re-friending the rest of Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Dammo

Ulster Says No. It will never happen
    I don’t want to reopen the Irish / Northern Irish “debate” we had a while back, but are there any posters here who described themselves as Northern Irish rather than Irish or British in the last census up north?

I’d love to hear what they think the future will bring. Sure, I’m interested in what they would like to see happen, but it’d be more interesting to hear what they think actually will happen, based on what they see and hear around them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement