Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Germany against euro bonds. BERLIN (Reuters) - Germany strongly rejected mounting calls for the euro zone to issue joint debt at the weekend

Another 15 billion to the national debt in 2020

Then more in 2021,2022,2023 etc till the budget is balanced.

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/german-minister-rejects-euro-bonds-its-a-phantom-debate-2020-03-23

• Registered Users Posts: 69,248 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

downcow wrote: »
    Its terrible that you have sucked me into a deaths competition,

Oh yeh I forgot the 'herd immunity' experiment...that was what it was about, because these people were going to die anyway.
    but you do know that you had as many deaths today in ROI as we in NI have had during this whole fiasco?

We'll see how you get on flattening the curve...which is what it is about. Even your leader grasps that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

10-15 years
    Oh yeh I forgot the 'herd immunity' experiment...that was what it was about, because these people were going to die anyway.

We'll see how you get on flattening the curve...which is what it is about. Even your leader grasps that now.

That`s a strange statement considering you have consistently maintained the people of NI are all Irish!Your `I`m alright pull the ladder up`attitude is shocking.

RobMc59 wrote: »
    That`s a strange statement considering you have consistently maintained the people of NI are all Irish!Your `I`m alright pull the ladder up`attitude is shocking.

What?

I have just voted for the political party that is trying to get belligerent Unionism to listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

McClean has to be criticised for enflaming, it was a bit silly.

But I did laugh at his send up of the thugs that torment him as he goes about his work.

Reminded me of the earlier meme here about parents in Armagh and Tyrone.

Some laugh Francie!
    Here is a post from stoke city forum which puts the ‘laugh’ into perspective

“ As someone from N Ireland, I want to express my deep disgust at the wretched antics of your player James McClean.
    The PIRA came into my rural home on the 3rd May 1985 in N Ireland and forced my father to his knees and shot him twice in the top of the head at point blank range. I had lost my gran and mum 3 years previous and my father was all I had left. After hearing the shots that morning I went out and found his blood stained body and had to run half a mile for help, I was only 12 years old. My father was murdered simply because he was a Protestant.
    The PIRA were ruthless terrorist gangsters who exemplified depravity and sectarianism in abundance. Anyone who eulogises and glorifies this behaviour is a poor example for young people and is an embarrassment to their employer. Please appreciate the hurt that actions like this cause to innocent victims of terrorism world wide and I trust you will impose even further sanctions on the player as a result of his unsavoury behaviour. I want to wish Stoke City FC all the best for the future.”

• Advertisement

Some laugh Francie!

“ As someone from N Ireland, I want to express my deep disgust at the wretched antics of your player James McClean.
    The PIRA came into my rural home on the 3rd May 1985 in N Ireland and forced my father to his knees and shot him twice in the top of the head at point blank range. I had lost my gran and mum 3 years previous and my father was all I had left. After hearing the shots that morning I went out and found his blood stained body and had to run half a mile for help, I was only 12 years old. My father was murdered simply because he was a Protestant.
    The PIRA were ruthless terrorist gangsters who exemplified depravity and sectarianism in abundance. Anyone who eulogises and glorifies this behaviour is a poor example for young people and is an embarrassment to their employer. Please appreciate the hurt that actions like this cause to innocent victims of terrorism world wide and I trust you will impose even further sanctions on the player as a result of his unsavoury behaviour. I want to wish Stoke City FC all the best for the future.”

Yes downcow, and McClean's stance gives voice to those from the other side brutalised by the British Army.

Both valid and legitimate stances. It was an awful and brutal conflict after all.

The 'humour' is in McClean sending up those who percieve him of glorifying the IRA.
    He wasn't diminishing anyone's suffering.

Yes downcow, and McClean's stance gives voice to those from the other side brutalised by the British Army.

Both valid and legitimate stances. It was an awful and brutal conflict after all.

The 'humour' is in McClean sending up those who percieve him of glorifying the IRA.
    He wasn't diminishing anyone's suffering.

He has been very vocal about his support for the ira on several occasions.

He has been very vocal about his support for the ira on several occasions.

What Unionism and some British people need to get over is that they did have support.

If you want to stop people expressing that support what do you do for those who feel the BA were the terrorists?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

20-30 years
    Some laugh Francie!

What case is he talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Oh My God man, does it matter which murder it was :mad:

Take the testament on board & then reflect on James McClean wearing a balaclava teaching history to kids!

Totally disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

10-15 years
    I was about to accept I was wrong and apologise, but I have just read your linked article and it is really not clear who is correct. So unless you can provide a little bit more concrete evidence, I will withhold that apology.

But do not worry it is clear I will wholeheartedly apologise

You can apologise now.

You’re so full of **** it’s laughable.
    Start a Parody prod account on Twitter you’d be a huge hit.

Take the testament on board & then reflect on James McClean wearing a balaclava teaching history to kids!

Totally disgusting.

So is all comedy about the conflict/war not allowed?

Because it is all over the place. Does it all 'disgust' you or are you just selective about it?

McClean didn't target the tweeter's personal pain...he generally sent up a cohort who behave a certain way.

There was a meme earlier in this thread making the exact same joke and nobody passed any remarks on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

20-30 years

Totally disgusting.

What did McClean say in his history lesson?

Doesn't matter what he said, (it is the visual image that was conveyed) like that IRA fella with the Kingsmill 'loaf of bread on his head' a year or two ago!

Nasty, hateful, uncaring & cruel.

Doesn't matter what he said, (it is the visual image that was conveyed) like that IRA fella with the Kingsmill 'loaf of bread on his head' a year or two ago!

Nasty, hateful, uncaring & cruel.

Again...McClean was sending you, downcow and all those who think that is what he might be doing, up in the picture.

He was trolling people...and that was unwise probably but considering the abuse he takes, forgivable maybe.

He is apologising because of people's inability to take a joke that has been made many times...including here on this very thread.

People's inability to take a joke, are you serious?

McClean is obviously a complete & utter dick.

People's inability to take a joke, are you serious?

McClean is obviously a complete & utter dick.

Will you answer the question or not?

Is anybody who uses humour about the conflict/war (and many many people have) similarly a 'complete and utter dick'?

Just so we know what your parameters are.

Again...McClean was sending you, downcow and all those who think that is what he might be doing, up in the picture.

He was trolling people...and that was unwise probably but considering the abuse he takes, forgivable maybe.

He is apologising because of people's inability to take a joke that has been made many times...including here on this very thread.

You really are so hypocritical. How would you feel if Stephen Davis made jokes about Bloody Sunday? Would that be acceptable? Let’s say he appeared in front of his kids with a para cap on?
    Of course a gentleman like stevie would never ever consider the likes.

Will you answer the question or not?

Is anybody who uses humour about the conflict/war (and many many people have) similarly a 'complete and utter dick'?

Just so we know what your parameters are.

Context is everything.
    We all know McLean is an ira / sf supporter leaning to the dissidents. He is also a role model for kids and certainly not a comedian (although I suppose that’s questionable).
    So I can take humour provided it has balance. This is bitter nasty stuff from McLean. If he has a laugh next week and the butt of his joke is those killed on Bloody Sunday or the hunger strikers (maybe stand outside the maze with a KFC) then I will retract my analysis.

You really are so hypocritical. How would you feel if Stephen Davis made jokes about Bloody Sunday? Would that be acceptable? Let’s say he appeared in front of his kids with a para cap on?
    Of course a gentleman like stevie would never ever consider the likes.

If you set out to deliberately hurt people then that is wrong. As I said about McElduff, IF his intention was in fact to mock the victims of Kingsmill then that was totally wrong.

Who or what victims was McClean targeting here? He was targeting those who think this is what he teaches his kids.

He was trolling idiots in other words...not victims.

Don't add to it downcow by trying to portray it as anything else. Ill advised trolling of idiots.

• Advertisement

If you set out to deliberately hurt people then that is wrong. As I said about McElduff, IF his intention was in fact to mock the victims of Kingsmill then that was totally wrong.

Who or what victims was McClean targeting here? He was targeting those who think this is what he teaches his kids.

He was trolling idiots in other words...not victims.

Don't add to it downcow by trying to portray it as anything else. Ill advised trolling of idiots.

Nonsense. Politicians and sports personalities can’t just have wild abandon to the impact of their actions. People were extremely hurt by kingsmill bread stunt. People are disgusted at McLean balaclava stunt
    Maybe you would address what the difference would be if Kyle lafferty posed in front of young kids with a para cap and laughed and said ‘let’s take a wee look at history in owc’. Or maybe held a KFC box, or Atkins diet book at a bobby sands mural
    Sure it’s only a laugh in your book. Difference is they would never pull on an ni shirt again.

Help me understand your warped thinking Francie

Nonsense. Politicians and sports personalities can’t just have wild abandon to the impact of their actions. People were extremely hurt by kingsmill bread stunt. People are disgusted at McLean balaclava stunt
    Maybe you would address what the difference would be if Kyle lafferty posed in front of young kids with a para cap and laughed and said ‘let’s take a wee look at history in owc’. Or maybe held a KFC box, or Atkins diet book at a bobby sands mural
    Sure it’s only a laugh in your book. Difference is they would never pull on an ni shirt again.

Help me understand your warped thinking Francie

Let me understand yours first...BY ANSWERING what I already asked...is humour about the conflict off limits for everyone or just selected people?

*BTW before the usual moral high grounders get up, I am not defending \McClean...he shouldn't have trolled those who torment him...he should have been bigger than them.

But he certainly wasn't trolling the victim who tweeted.

Let me understand yours first...BY ANSWERING what I already asked...is humour about the conflict off limits for everyone or just selected people?

I thought I answered that clearly. Public Jokes about any conflict resulting in thousands of deaths, should absolutely be off limits to sports personalities, film stars, singers, etc, etc., what they do in private is up to them.
    I also believe they should not be publicly joking about child abuse, rape, homelessness, ethnic minorities, sexual orientation, etc.
    I do though understand that comedians can handle these areas with care - and can actually effectively challenge through humour.

Is that clear.
    No time for you to answer

I thought I answered that clearly. Public Jokes about any conflict resulting in thousands of deaths, should absolutely be off limits to sports personalities, film stars, singers, etc, etc., what they do in private is up to them.
    I also believe they should not be publicly joking about child abuse, rape, homelessness, ethnic minorities, sexual orientation, etc.
    I do though understand that comedians can handle these areas with care - and can actually effectively challenge through humour.

Is that clear.
    No time for you to answer

Why would humour be off limits to a select few? Would you have come up with that list just so you could have a pop at McClean? :)

How utterly ridiculous. downcow is going to dictate who can be humouous or who cannot. How very DUPian of you, again.

15-20 years
    I pop into this thread every now and then to see if there's any discussion of a UI (I'm in favour) but I just see personal squabbles... and leave again.

It would be great if we could have a UI discussion thread that wasn't allowed to veer off... But, points have to be awarded to those of a unionist bent that are able to skillfully steer it away so easily by throwing out bait.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

10-15 years
    You were wrong downcow and I’m still awaiting your apology

Didn't Prince Harry get into hot water for going to a fancy dress party in a Nazi uniform, sixty years after the 2nd World War.

I think in the case of McClean, the wounds are still too raw in the memory of many, specially in the context of him making such a fuss about not wearing a poppy! That's the real issue here, he refuses to wear one in remembrance week (in England) whilst playing football for an English football club, supported by English people, then he puts on a PIRA balaclava for a "joke".

I mean come on, this fella knows exactly what buttons to press.

Didn't Prince Harry get into hot water for going to a fancy dress party in a Nazi uniform, sixty years after the 2nd World War.

I think in the case of McClean, the wounds are still too raw in the memory of many, specially in the context of him making such a fuss about not wearing a poppy! That's the real issue here, he refuses to wear one in remembrance week (in England) whilst playing football for an English football club, supported by English people, then he puts on a PIRA balaclava for a "joke".

I mean come on, this fella knows exactly what buttons to press.

The fecking reason he won't wear a poppy is precisely because it is too raw...with a soldier still awaiting trial for what happened in his city.

IT ISN'T HIM that makes the fuss about not wearing the poppy it is those he was sending up in his photo.

Jaysus. :rolleyes:

Runaways wrote: »
    You were wrong downcow and I’m still awaiting your apology

I am never shy at apologising. I am reading contradictory reports about the reason we are not in EU respiratory plan. Do you have yourself completely conditioned to only read stuff you agree with and are you not seeing the range of reasons being given. You pop up a link to evidence and i will happily apologise

• Advertisement

The fecking reason he won't wear a poppy is precisely because it is too raw...with a soldier still awaiting trial for what happened in his city.

IT ISN'T HIM that makes the fuss about not wearing the poppy it is those he was sending up in his photo.

Jaysus. :rolleyes:

Thanks. you make our point for us. some things are just still too raw. whether 1972 or 1989.

we agree at last

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement