Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I pop into this thread every now and then to see if there's any discussion of a UI (I'm in favour) but I just see personal squabbles... and leave again.

It would be great if we could have a UI discussion thread that wasn't allowed to veer off... But, points have to be awarded to those of a unionist bent that are able to skillfully steer it away so easily by throwing out bait.

I couldn't agree with you more. I am up for a post that relates strictly to the reasons for and against a United Ireland.

But watch how quickly it moves away and i guess it won't be unioists. I don't think it was a unionist started the whole Corona debate. So blinkers off and lets go

Back to things UI.
    In the same way as unionists get blamed on this thread for eg taking it off topic, when the evidence is clear to see that they are not singularly responsible for this, would unionists in this UI project be blamed for all the ills even when it was clear it was dual responsibility. I think that would be the expectation of many unionists

• Registered Users Posts: 69,248 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

downcow wrote: »
    Back to things UI.
    In the same way as unionists get blamed on this thread for eg taking it off topic, when the evidence is clear to see that they are not singularly responsible for this, would unionists in this UI project be blamed for all the ills even when it was clear it was dual responsibility. I think that would be the expectation of many unionists

Can you clarify what Unionists you are talking about? Those who take a full part in the affairs of state or those who 'might not be able to resist being violent'.

That is kind of important.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

10-15 years
    I am never shy at apologising. I am reading contradictory reports about the reason we are not in EU respiratory plan. Do you have yourself completely conditioned to only read stuff you agree with and are you not seeing the range of reasons being given. You pop up a link to evidence and i will happily apologise

I posted two.

One a statement from 10 Downing Street.
    I don’t think boris is available to furnish you with a handwritten confirmation at the moment.
    Then Refusal to engage in the European wide initiative is all over the british papers today.
    Michael gove was on Marr this morning doubling down on it saying ‘we don’t need to. We are an independent country’

You can apologise now.

But you won’t. You’re perpetual state of being wrong and talking out of your hoop will continue no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

https://www.businesspost.ie/economics/conflicting-camps-divided-over-debt-tactics-in-war-effort-e8b6e8f7
    The ‘frugal’ nations, such as Germany, want to nationalise the cost of the war on the pandemic, forcing individual states to take on massive debt. Nine countries, including Ireland, want the creation of a ‘coronabond’ so the EU as a whole can shoulder the cost of the emergency.

Why do Ireland always look to Germany to pay for stuff?

Germany has to take care of its own.

• Advertisement

10-15 years
    I am never shy at apologising. I am reading contradictory reports about the reason we are not in EU respiratory plan. Do you have yourself completely conditioned to only read stuff you agree with and are you not seeing the range of reasons being given. You pop up a link to evidence and i will happily apologise

Here it is from the horses mouth downcow.

https://twitter.com/davidschneider/status/1244218744391507968?s=21

Runaways wrote: »

I really thought you had some evidence and I was preparing the apology. That link is to Gove ducking the question which politicians are all very good at, although he clearly said there was confusion in communication with EU. So that is fuzzy whether anybody made any decision.
    But there is absolutely ZERO evidence that Boris made a decision to not involve EU which is what i was challenging.
    So all i can say sorry about, is that I am very sorry you have provided a fairly pathetic link with ZERO evidence of Boris doing anything.

Now I am also conscious I committed to UI only stuff on this thread and I have bent that to answer you. I have now give you adequate time to produce the evidence and none is forthcoming so I wont be responding to this non issue again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

10-15 years
    Germany against euro bonds. BERLIN (Reuters) - Germany strongly rejected mounting calls for the euro zone to issue joint debt at the weekend

Another 15 billion to the national debt in 2020

Then more in 2021,2022,2023 etc till the budget is balanced.

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/german-minister-rejects-euro-bonds-its-a-phantom-debate-2020-03-23

If Germany gets it`s way on these debts(which it normally does )the possibility of a UI recedes even further into the distance,whose going to pay for it?Everyone(EU,US,UK) will be paying for the financial fallout of this virus for decades and won`t have the stomach or means to pay for it.

10-15 years
    I really thought you had some evidence and I was preparing the apology. That link is to Gove ducking the question which politicians are all very good at, although he clearly said there was confusion in communication with EU. So that is fuzzy whether anybody made any decision.
    But there is absolutely ZERO evidence that Boris made a decision to not involve EU which is what i was challenging.
    So all i can say sorry about, is that I am very sorry you have provided a fairly pathetic link with ZERO evidence of Boris doing anything.

Now I am also conscious I committed to UI only stuff on this thread and I have bent that to answer you. I have now give you adequate time to produce the evidence and none is forthcoming so I wont be responding to this non issue again

Wow.

So it wasn’t boris. It was.... the downing st cat

And various MPs are having to duck and dive in order to.....not blame the cat

It wasn’t the cat DC

It was boris.

He’s PM. Buck stops with him remember ?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

Why would humour be off limits to a select few? Would you have come up with that list just so you could have a pop at McClean? :)

I’m normally with him in terms of the stance he has taken on the poppy. But you seem to be suggesting that’s it’s ok to troll the public, or certain elements at least, in this way.

Even in America, freedom of speech has certain limitations. What McClean did was utterly stupid and he has been rightly sanctioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

30-40 years
    So it wasn’t boris.

The DUP would say they were doing a great job providing the people of NI with warm showers if the Tories were pissing on their heads.

Anything but face the reality of unrequited love.

10-15 years
    The DUP would say they were doing a great job providing the people of NI with warm showers if the Tories were pissing on their heads.

Anything but face the reality of unrequited love.

There’s an image I won’t under for a while :)

Then, that’s actually been the exact way of it now for decades.

Why change gears now I guess.

Still. DC being as disingenuous as ever.

No surprises there

I’m normally with him in terms of the stance he has taken on the poppy. But you seem to be suggesting that’s it’s ok to troll the public, or certain elements at least, in this way.

Even in America, freedom of speech has certain limitations. What McClean did was utterly stupid and he has been rightly sanctioned.

No I think you'll find I said he was wrong to do what he did.
    *BTW before the usual moral high grounders get up, I am not defending \McClean...he shouldn't have trolled those who torment him...he should have been bigger than them

10-15 years
    Last couple of pages of the brexit thread are worth a read. Remarkable posting similarities to one of our pals in this one. Repeatedly throw up a load of irrelevant hunches as facts and then twist and squirm into something else when challenged. And squirm again when eventually replies.

Francie. One of our owc hero’s and an absolute gentleman has summed up your friends behaviour in as kind and charitable way as possible.

“James McClean has always lacked judgement . . .but his latest action is indefensible”

Gareth McAuley

He went on to say that he has always tried to stick up for his pal james but...... he also said McLean has a good heart / I suppose he had to something positive since they are friendly lol

Francie. One of our owc hero’s and an absolute gentleman has summed up your friends behaviour in as kind and charitable way as possible.

“James McClean has always lacked judgement . . .but his latest action is indefensible”

Gareth McAuley

He went on to say that he has always tried to stick up for his pal james but...... he also said McLean has a good heart / I suppose he had to something positive since they are friendly lol

They don't hang people for bad judgement anymore downcow. Look at Arlene for instance. Bad judgement over brexit, RHI and now Covid 19 (playing catch up to the rest of the island again today)

McClean shouldn't have posted what he did, because there is always a gallery of the po-faced and indignant waiting to rage from the high moral ground.

He'll get over it, as will they.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Ulster Says No. It will never happen

McClean shouldn't have posted what he did, because there is always a gallery of the po-faced and indignant waiting to rage from the high moral ground.

He'll get over it, as will they.

McClean does himself no favours and this latest one was idiotic.
    I have no issue with his stance on the poppy but he acts the clown a lot of the rest of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

20-30 years
    Doesn't matter what he said, (it is the visual image that was conveyed) like that IRA fella with the Kingsmill 'loaf of bread on his head' a year or two ago!

Nasty, hateful, uncaring & cruel.

But what did he say?

But what did he say?

I know he is a sectarian little scumbag and it doesn’t surprise me in the slightest that he would do it.
    What I find most baffling is, what was he doing with a balaclava like this in his possession? And who thinks it’s a good idea to take the photo? I sincerely hope it is not the children's mother?

10-15 years
    One hopefully silver lining in all this crisis is it will hopefully make people realize the stupidity of worrying and arguing about utterly unimportant poppies and flegs and pointless symbolism given what we’re all headed into and how much devastation to families and indiscriminate loss of life is coming.

If you’re still banging on about balaclavas and disrespecting poppies at this time or in the coming months, your priorities couldnt be more out of whack.

• Advertisement

One hopefully silver lining in all this crisis is it will hopefully make people realize the stupidity of worrying and arguing about utterly unimportant poppies and flegs and pointless symbolism given what we’re all headed into and how much devastation to families and indiscriminate loss of life is coming.

If you’re still banging on about balaclavas and disrespecting poppies at this time or in the coming months, your priorities could be more out of whack.

That will be one huge benifit if the past can be left in the past and accept we are where we are. No more worrying about poppies, flegs, symbolism. No more chasing after truth or prosecutions around Kingsmill, Bloody sunday, Finucain, etc. No more remembering Robert Bradford or Bobby Sands. no more talk of famines, collusion with either side, discrimination of Prods in South or Catholics in north.

I love your optimism, and I would be all up for it, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Nolan has managed to turn the whole Covid response into orange and green this mornin

Nolan has managed to turn the whole Covid response into orange and green this mornin

Arlene Foster has already done that. Nolan is just being her lapdog as he was with Brexit.

10-15 years
    Nolan is particularly despicable in this. He was mocking it only a few weeks ago and shouting down nurses.
    I would hope all of his listeners are smart enough to realize the scumbag move he’s actually pulled on this one. Have seen him getting castigated online from all sides the last week or so.

10-15 years
    Well knock me down with a feather

Far too late in coming and many are gonna die in NI that didn’t need to as a result of the delay but here we are

https://twitter.com/endamcclafferty/status/1244544039468310528?s=21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

20-30 years
    I know he is a sectarian little scumbag and it doesn’t surprise me in the slightest that he would do it.
    What I find most baffling is, what was he doing with a balaclava like this in his possession? And who thinks it’s a good idea to take the photo? I sincerely hope it is not the children's mother?

I didn't see the photo, what did he say?

Nolan is particularly despicable in this. He was mocking it only a few weeks ago and shouting down nurses.
    I would hope all of his listeners are smart enough to realize the scumbag move he’s actually pulled on this one. Have seen him getting castigated online from all sides the last week or so.

Glad we are 100% in agreement on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭crebel81

A United Ireland would only empower SF and make them the largest party on the island. 80% of voters in Darndale voted for SF. So if you want the entire country to look like Darndale (or the alternative future from Back to the Future 2), then by all means vote for a United Ireland .

There is a common theme running through your posts. Such hatred and ignorance. It's disgusting!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

10-15 years

The screwed up part about this is why should any society be made to pay for an outbreak like this?
    We didn’t cause it and it’s a threat to life as we know it.
    Oh yeah. It’s to feed the unbreakable grip of capitalism on our society.

This is far bigger than UI we have to keep that in mind.
    But the refusal of the DUP to get into an all island strategy puts not just NI people at risk. But all of us too.

That is absolutely outrageous

• Advertisement

The screwed up part about this is why should any society be made to pay for an outbreak like this?
    We didn’t cause it and it’s a threat to life as we know it.
    Oh yeah. It’s to feed the unbreakable grip of capitalism on our society.

This is far bigger than UI we have to keep that in mind.
    But the refusal of the DUP to get into an all island strategy puts not just NI people at risk. But all of us too.

That is absolutely outrageous

Well it is huge fodder for those advocating a yes vote in a border poll.

Those taking comfort from the cost of this to our exchequer are ignoring that the EU will mitigate a lot of these costs..are doing it already and these 'costs' are going to be many many many times higher in the UK who will have NO EU to help out. Meanwhile NI costs them and costs and costs them.

So hard to know what it will all mean for a UI.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement