Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

10-15 years
    Well it is huge fodder for those advocating a yes vote in a border poll.

Those taking comfort from the cost of this to our exchequer are ignoring that the EU will mitigate a lot of these costs..are doing it already and these 'costs' are going to be many many many times higher in the UK who will have NO EU to help out. Meanwhile NI costs them and costs and costs them.

So hard to know what it will all mean for a UI.

I’ll refer us back to the UK refusal to keep a presence in NI despite the EU asking.
    And it’s not just about the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,248 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Runaways wrote: »
    I’ll refer us back to the UK refusal to keep a presence in NI despite the EU asking.
    And it’s not just about the office.

I was reading about it.

That is gonna be a huge story I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

Those taking comfort from the cost of this to our exchequer are ignoring that the EU will mitigate a lot of these costs..are doing it already and these 'costs' are going to be many many many times higher in the UK who will have NO EU to help out. Meanwhile NI costs them and costs and costs them.

In the time of a financial crisis adding NI that in your own words "costs and costs" is hardly the wisest move.

Until we start generating budget surpluses again there won't be even talk of a UI down south.

I reckon this has added a least a decade to the timeline of a border poll. Employment, PS pay, social welfare rates and increasing capacity in the health service will be priorities. An UI is way down on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

The EU isn't going to give us the 25 billion. That's a conservative fig and it will probably be more.

10-15 years
    The EU isn't going to give us the 25 billion. That's a conservative fig and it will probably be more.

ECB is already lined up to give all countries money at minus interest. It’s not just ireland in this yanno

• Advertisement

jh79 wrote: »
    In the time of a financial crisis adding NI that in your own words "costs and costs" is hardly the wisest move.

Until we start generating budget surpluses again there won't be even talk of a UI down south.

I reckon this has added a least a decade to the timeline of a border poll. Employment, PS pay, social welfare rates and increasing capacity in the health service will be priorities. An UI is way down on the list.

I have always said that the constitutional status of NI will change at a tipping point.

That 'point' being when it costs us more not to unify and it begins to hurt the UK to keep it.

Is NI now, not just a threat to our animal herd but our human herd?

What price would you put on that?

Lots of questions and lots of factors to consider.

10-15 years
    As it stands right now NI is a threat to the entire population. And will continue to be until they align with how we’re handling this.

Flegs and marches won’t save anyone.

ECB is already lined up to give all countries money at minus interest. It’s not just ireland in this yanno

No they aren't. We have to pay our own way.

Irish bonds are rising.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/coronavirus-interest-rate-on-irish-bonds-rises-sharply-1.4205764%3fmode=amp

10-15 years
    That won’t matter one bit when we’re all dead.

You don’t have an economy of you have a devastated society.

As it stands right now NI is a threat to the entire population. And will continue to be until they align with how we’re handling this.

Flegs and marches won’t save anyone.

Everything is shutdown for at least 18 months North and South.

Till a vaccine comes everything is closed.

DUPSF have called on the British army to build field hospitals.

Can't do much more than that.

• Advertisement

The ECB is looking at ways of mitigating the effects of this. Stop bull****ting please.

How much can be mitigated is a complete unknown at this stage.

Everything is shutdown for at least 18 months North and South.

DUPSF have called on the British army to build field hospitals.

Can't do much more than that.

Where are you getting this bit of sensationalism from?

I have always said that the constitutional status of NI will change at a tipping point.

That 'point' being when it costs us more not to unify and it begins to hurt the UK to keep it.

Is NI now, not just a threat to our animal herd but our human herd?

What price would you put on that?

Lots of questions and lots of factors to consider.

Cheaper just to have an agreement with the UK on how to deal with events like this in the future and it's possible that there will be a world wide approach to this.

It's wishful thinking that we will add another 12 billion or more per year while running a massive deficit in a world wide recession.

The EU will not gives us unlimited cheap money for us to make our finances even worse.

10-15 years
    Cheaper just to have an agreement with the UK on how to deal with events like this in the future and it's possible that there will be a world wide approach to this.

It's wishful thinking that we will add another 12 billion or more per year while running a massive deficit in a world wide recession.

The EU will not gives us unlimited cheap money for us to make our finances even worse.

The EU would never allow one of their regions fall into the most economically depressed underdeveloped and worst performing places in the entire union.

Oh. Wait. The Brits already did that.

Where are you getting this bit of sensationalism from?

It's obvious.

No health system can cope without lockdown.

If they open everything up again you get a second wave.

The EU would never allow one of their regions fall into the most economically depressed underdeveloped and worst performing places in the entire union.

Oh. Wait. The Brits already did that.

The IRA played their part too in ruining its economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭droidman123

As i have said many times,the british gave birth to the i.r.a.

It's obvious.

No health system can cope without lockdown.

If they open everything up again you get a second wave.

So you are saying that the EU's entire economy is in lockdown until there is a Vaccine?

Where is this being suggested officially?

As i have said many times,the british gave birth to the i.r.a.

Well, they were a great help to the British in making NI a mess.

10-15 years

And things have improved how much since the chase fire and GFA?

It’s a blooming blossoming diverse society and economy that is self sufficient and doesn’t need an annual 11billion bailout? Really?

I must be reading the wrong papers

I know it suits your world view to keep having on about the Ira and all that stuff.
    I think it’s time to move on personally. Cos if we don’t? NI will forever be the ****hole it currently is.

• Advertisement

And things have improved how much since the chase fire and GFA?

It’s a blooming blossoming diverse society and economy that is self sufficient and doesn’t need an annual 11billion bailout? Really?

I must be reading the wrong papers

I know it suits your world view to keep having on about the Ira and all that stuff.
    I think it’s time to move on personally. Cos if we don’t? NI will forever be the ****hole it currently is.

IRA might be gone but SF are still there and would you as a CEO of a multinational locate to NI where those in power still protect their former comrades in the IRA?

A pub full of SF members and no one saw a thing when McCartney was gutted, Paul Quinn, Slab Murphy etc and we all saw where SF allegiances lay.

10-15 years
    The DUP. Ever the winners in the never ending race to the bottom

https://twitter.com/stephennolan/status/1245655980689391616?s=21

10-15 years
    IRA might be gone but SF are still there and would you as a CEO of a multinational locate to NI where those in power still protect their former comrades in the IRA?

A pub full of SF members and no one saw a thing when McCartney was gutted, Paul Quinn, Slab Murphy etc and we all saw where SF allegiances lay.

Are we to conveniently forget Arlene takes her orders from UVF heads in pubs as well as the orange order? Both who she met with before that final meeting with Johnson in downing st where she and the DUP were told to go eff themselves? This was only a few months back mind.

Are we to conveniently forget Arlene takes her orders from UVF heads in pubs as well as the orange order? Both who she met with before that final meeting with Johnson in downing st where she and the DUP were told to go eff themselves? This was only a few months back mind.

Two sides of the same coin as far as i am concerned and both parties are responsible for the mess NI is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

20-30 years
    Two sides of the same coin as far as i am concerned and both parties are responsible for the mess NI is.

The UK government are the people who have control of NI, are they not ultimately responsible?

The UK government are the people who have control of NI, are they not ultimately responsible?

If that's the case what's the point of the NI executive ?

Apart from the big salaries for MLA's and cronyism with advisors why would SF participate in an arm of the UK government without some level of autonomy?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

20-30 years
    If that's the case what's the point of the NI executive ?

Apart from the big salaries for MLA's and cronyism with advisors why would SF participate in an arm of the UK government without some level of autonomy?

Do you know what "ultimately responsible" means?

10-15 years
    Just read the HSE costs 17 billion a year but rises to around 22 billion in overspend. That can’t be right can it?

NI would only cost us about 6 billion a year.

And that’s nearly a country!!

Wtf and where the f is the money going to in the HSE?

You’d wonder

Do you know what "ultimately responsible" means?

Think it needs clarification;

Are they responsible because they created NI or because they ultimately control NI?

It's all partitions fault is a tired excuse or if the poster means the Executive is powerless well apart from money for MLA's and their advisers why are SF facilitating partition?

• Advertisement

Just read the HSE costs 17 billion a year but rises to around 22 billion in overspend. That can’t be right can it?

NI would only cost us about 6 billion a year.

And that’s nearly a country!!

Wtf and where the f is the money going to in the HSE?

You’d wonder

What % does wages account for in each country? I'd imagine Ireland is way higher.

I thought the subvention was 12 billion or is the 6b just for health?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement