Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

20-30 years
    jh79 wrote: »
    Think it needs clarification;

Are they responsible because they created NI or because they ultimately control NI?

It's all partitions fault is a tired excuse or if the poster means the Executive is powerless well apart from money for MLA's and their advisers why are SF facilitating partition?

What needs clarification?

They are ultimately responsible. NI is (unfortunately) part of the UK and as such, the UK government is responsible for it, warts and all.

And yes, it is partition's fault. Only for it, we wouldn't have unionism running to the flag in spite of the overwhelming evidence that a shut down of schools and cafes etc was a good idea. Thankfully, they've warmed to the Taigy-plan.

20-30 years
    Runaways wrote: »
    Just read the HSE costs 17 billion a year but rises to around 22 billion in overspend. That can’t be right can it?

NI would only cost us about 6 billion a year.

And that’s nearly a country!!

Wtf and where the f is the money going to in the HSE?

You’d wonder

I don't wonder and this is not the thread for it.

Health services cost money no matter the system. And budgeting for health is a notoriously pointless exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

What needs clarification?

They are ultimately responsible. NI is (unfortunately) part of the UK and as such, the UK government is responsible for it, warts and all.

And yes, it is partition's fault. Only for it, we wouldn't have unionism running to the flag in spite of the overwhelming evidence that a shut down of schools and cafes etc was a good idea. Thankfully, they've warmed to the Taigy-plan.

So the executive is ultimately pointless and paying SF and IRA members as MLA and advisers was the price of peace. So they bought SF/IRA?

20-30 years
    So the executive is ultimately pointless and paying SF and IRA members as MLA and advisers was the price of peace. So they bought SF/IRA?

What are you on about?

What are you on about?

If the British are responsible for all the ills of NI what purpose does the executive serve?

• Advertisement

20-30 years
    If the British are responsible for all the ills of NI what purpose does the executive serve?

Let's back up a bit here. What do you think the Executive is for?

Let's back up a bit here. What do you think the Executive is for?

I won't lie. I havn't a clue and assume its a paired down form of government akin to a county council.

20-30 years
    I won't lie. I havn't a clue and assume its a paired down form of government akin to a county council.

So start there before jumping off into the night with your criticisms and statements. :)

There are many valid criticisms to be aimed at the Executive, but the current moribund economic and societal state of NI is not a valid one.

The need for the Executive in this form is solely down to partition and a line can easily be drawn from the creation of a sectarian statelet which had no oversight practically for 40-odd years, to the temerity of the minority to march for rights, to the Ulster Workers Strike and Sunningdale, to UK govt intransigence and lack of understanding or even willingness to understand, to the AIA, to the Downing St Declaration, to the GFA and to the present day... with a few thousand deaths during a civil war along the way.

There's much to unpack.

Looking at wiki the "transferred matters" list has plenty of scope for improving NI.

Any examples of achievements made by the executive over the years?

20-30 years
    Looking at wiki the "transferred matters" list has plenty of scope for improving NI.

Any examples of achievements made by the executive over the years?

Look at how long the Executive has been actually up and running over the years due to Unionist bellyaching.

If they weren't so against sharing power with their compatriots more would likely get done.

• Advertisement

Look at how long the Executive has been actually up and running over the years due to Unionist bellyaching.

If they weren't so against sharing power with their compatriots more would likely get done.

SF shut it down over the Irish Language act and RHI scandal yet they are against the changes put forward by Jim McAllister to prevent another RHI scandal.

Seems to me SF are more interested in cronyism with massive wages for advisors then actually making NI a viable state. Surely an economically healthy NI will be an easier sell to the South.

So start there before jumping off into the night with your criticisms and statements. :)

There are many valid criticisms to be aimed at the Executive, but the current moribund economic and societal state of NI is not a valid one.

The need for the Executive in this form is solely down to partition and a line can easily be drawn from the creation of a sectarian statelet which had no oversight practically for 40-odd years, to the temerity of the minority to march for rights, to the Ulster Workers Strike and Sunningdale, to UK govt intransigence and lack of understanding or even willingness to understand, to the AIA, to the Downing St Declaration, to the GFA and to the present day... with a few thousand deaths during a civil war along the way.

There's much to unpack.

At some point Republicans need to grow up and stop blaming "Partition" for everything.

SF and the DUP are responsible for the day to day running of NI. It's their fault if the country is stagnating or in decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,248 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

At some point Republicans need to grow up and stop blaming "Partition" for everything.

SF and the DUP are responsible for the day to day running of NI. It's their fault if the country is stagnating or in decline.

Ha ha...you don't see the irony contained in that post???? Feck me, you couldn't write that level of disconnect.
    Partition is the very reason SF and the DUP have to agree before anything gets done ffs.
    It is completely abnormal situation as a result of a completely stupid partition of a country to create an ethnically superior enclave.

20-30 years
    SF shut it down over the Irish Language act and RHI scandal yet they are against the changes put forward by Jim McAllister to prevent another RHI scandal.

Seems to me SF are more interested in cronyism with massive wages for advisors then actually making NI a viable state. Surely an economically healthy NI will be an easier sell to the South.

Hmmmm...

You missed a bit...

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/dup-rejects-sf-claims-of-stormont-agreement-36609875.html

There was an agreement to go back to Stormont and the DUP, again, pulled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

10-15 years
    Hmmmm...

You missed a bit...

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/dup-rejects-sf-claims-of-stormont-agreement-36609875.html

According to various people here on boards, the Irish independent is a sensationalist tabloid,posting links which aren't credible doesn't help your argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Runaways wrote: »
    The screwed up part about this is why should any society be made to pay for an outbreak like this?
    We didn’t cause it and it’s a threat to life as we know it.
    Oh yeah. It’s to feed the unbreakable grip of capitalism on our society.

This is far bigger than UI we have to keep that in mind.
    But the refusal of the DUP to get into an all island strategy puts not just NI people at risk. But all of us too.

That is absolutely outrageous

What is outrageous? Do you believe that Norway should be able to force Sweden to follow its method of dealing with Covid. You don't seem to ghet it that there is an international border. It was ROI that went off on the solo run without speaking to the other nation that ensures the landmass with

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

10-15 years
    downcow wrote: »
    What is outrageous? Do you believe that Norway should be able to force Sweden to follow its method of dealing with Covid. You don't seem to ghet it that there is an international border. It was ROI that went off on the solo run without speaking to the other nation that ensures the landmass with
    Leo has gone Way Way West off, of West Brit ;)

Hmmmm...

You missed a bit...

Can you explain the logic of SF's rejection of McAllister's proposals to prevent a repeat of the RHI scandal?

15-20 years

Mate 3000 people are projected to die in NI form coronavirus over next 20 weeks....dont ever come crying about numbers ira killed ever again...

as many projected to die over english policy,than was killed in entire troubles,its long since time for reunification,english arent fit to rule emselves,no mind our island

Ha ha...you don't see the irony contained in that post???? Feck me, you couldn't write that level of disconnect.
    Partition is the very reason SF and the DUP have to agree before anything gets done ffs.
    It is completely abnormal situation as a result of a completely stupid partition of a country to create an ethnically superior enclave.

Partition is just a border. It's the mindset of both sides that is the problem. Sectarianism was caused by partition and continued by the IRA / UVF etc.

If the border was removed in the morning it would change nothing in terms of both sides interact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

30-40 years
    You don't seem to ghet it that there is an international border.

You are deliberately ignoring that:

The Irish Nation has no border and this is reflected in how people live
    SF has to consider its electorate who live in all 32 counties of our country
    There are a shower of idiots Governing Britain at the moment
    Britain appears to be making a complete balls of this
    Ireland seems to be doing relatively okay
    Much of the population in the north look to Dublin not London for leadership

Honestly, the British state and its gormless patsies in the north in the DUP/UUP are a liability to the Irish nation. We really need to end the British State's toxic influence in our country.

Honestly, the British state and its gormless patsies in the north in the DUP/UUP are a liability to the Irish nation. We really need to end the British State's toxic influence in our country.

What do you suggest? IRA couldn't manage it and are part of the British political system as MLA's and advisers now. If they are playing the long game they much be a more patient bunch that i imagined as we are still decades away.

20-30 years
    RobMc59 wrote: »
    According to various people here on boards, the Irish independent is a sensationalist tabloid,posting links which aren't credible doesn't help your argument.

My argument about something that actually happened? Will I go find more examples of this story in the media to satisfy your cynicism about the reality of it happening?

Nay, are you telling me that the thing I posted about did not happen at all?

You set a rather high burden of proof for a man thrown to sticking up any old thing that he has only read the headline of.

But then that would take us off the salient point in the matter at hand about the DUP, and mean that yet again, the resident unionists on this thread have engaged in Whataboutery as they seek to muddy the waters of an argument and send us off course.

So, no rob, I tell you what, you go off and prove to me that it didn't happen and leave the adults here to discuss the matter at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

30-40 years
    What do you suggest?

Border poll in the north. Begin serious planning for a United Ireland in the south.

20-30 years

A solo run? We're an independent foreign nation I keep hearing loudly from unionists. Which is it?

Unfortunately we have a lot of citizens wrapped up in Unionist intransigence so it would make sense from our POV to make sure that they are taken care of.

So if that means requesting NI being part of an all-Island solution to this crisis, then that is a matter of course. Only the most bigoted, like yourself, would see that as an affront to the status quo.

20-30 years
    Can you explain the logic of SF's rejection of McAllister's proposals to prevent a repeat of the RHI scandal?

Jim Allister?

What proposals are they?

Partition is just a border. It's the mindset of both sides that is the problem. Sectarianism was caused by partition and continued by the IRA / UVF etc.

If the border was removed in the morning it would change nothing in terms of both sides interact.

Spoken like a true blue partitionist. :rolleyes:

Spoken like a true blue partitionist. :rolleyes:

Francie i am completely apathetic to "partition" either way i'm not bothered.

Just find it funny that SF and former IRA members are paid by the British state to help run a partitioned NI and i'm the partitionist!

It's a pity they didn't buy the IRA and SF sooner.

• Advertisement

Connor Murphy has introduced a new code himself, has he not?

Which has the support of all 5 parties.

If Allister can get similar then his bill will pass. It how it works.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement