Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,248 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

jh79 wrote: »
    Francie i am completely apathetic to "partition" either way i'm not bothered.

Just find it funny that SF and former IRA members are paid by the British state to help run a partitioned NI and i'm the partitionist!

It's a pity they didn't buy the IRA and SF sooner.

Yeh...let's ignore the GFA and have a wee silly dig. Very mature there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

Connor Murphy has introduced a new code himself, has he not?

Which has the support of all 5 parties.

If Allister can get similar then his bill will pass. It how it works.

Would you agree with Allisters bill in principal?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

10-15 years
    Francie i am completely apathetic to "partition" either way i'm not bothered.

Just find it funny that SF and former IRA members are paid by the British state to help run a partitioned NI and i'm the partitionist!

It's a pity they didn't buy the IRA and SF sooner.
    Should have done alright. Just too Puritan Tight, I suppose ! !

blinding wrote: »
    Should have done alright. Just to Puritan Tight, I suppose ! !

No idea what Puritan Tight means?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

10-15 years
    No idea what Puritan Tight means?
    Google the Puritans. That should help.

• Advertisement

Connor Murphy has introduced a new code himself, has he not?

Which has the support of all 5 parties.

If Allister can get similar then his bill will pass. It how it works.

Have you got a link. Google is only throwing out Paul Quinn stories.

Would you agree with Allisters bill in principal?

Not up to me. But I don't see anything wrong with it. But it doesn't seem to have the support of all 5 so it will go no where. Why that is, I don't know. Allister's intentions wouldn't be trusted much given his history.

Have you got a link. Google is only throwing out Paul Quinn stories.
    The new code appears to have the support of Stormont's five main parties, all of whom have at least one seat at the executive table.

https://www.irishnews.com/news/politicalnews/2020/01/21/news/new-approach-new-code-of-conduct-for-spads-but-critics-complain-it-lacks-bite-1819484/

You were a big critic of the DUP with the RHI. Which bill do you prefer? SF bill seems a bit soft.

You were a big critic of the DUP with the RHI. Which bill do you prefer? SF bill seems a bit soft.

The one that gets the most support.

• Advertisement

The one that gets the most support.

You posted regularly about the RHI scandal, surely you have an opinion on it.

Which do you think addresses the issue better?

If you think Allister's bill is too harsh could you reasons why?

You posted regularly about the RHI scandal, surely you have an opinion on it.

Which do you think addresses the issue better?

If you think Allister's bill is too harsh could you reasons why?

I'm saying the only one that is important is the one that has support.

Murphy's seems to cover the bases while Allister's has the force of the statute book behind it.
    I can see why people might not want to get bogged down in legals if something goes wrong, so both have pluses and minuses.

Given they have advantages and disadvantages I will go with the majority on it...whether that be Allister's Bill or Murphy's code.

I'm saying the only one that is important is the one that has support.

Murphy's seems to cover the bases while Allister's has the force of the statute book behind it.
    I can see why people might not want to get bogged down in legals if something goes wrong, so both have pluses and minuses.

Given they have advantages and disadvantages I will go with the majority on it...whether that be Allister's Bill or Murphy's code.

How do you mean "bogged down in legals if something goes wrong"? Surely that be exactly want you'd want.

What is wrong with having criminal proceedings and full transparency in these situations?

How do you mean "bogged down in legals if something goes wrong"? Surely that be exactly want you'd want.

What is wrong with having criminal proceedings and full transparency in these situations?

Well no.

It would be a mechanism to deliberately slow progress too.
    If you can get people to self-police to a code, that would have a lot of advantages too.

Well no.

It would be a mechanism to deliberately slow progress too.
    If you can get people to self-police to a code, that would have a lot of advantages too.

Only advantage i can see is for those wishing to break the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

10-15 years
    My argument about something that actually happened? Will I go find more examples of this story in the media to satisfy your cynicism about the reality of it happening?

Nay, are you telling me that the thing I posted about did not happen at all?

You set a rather high burden of proof for a man thrown to sticking up any old thing that he has only read the headline of.

But then that would take us off the salient point in the matter at hand about the DUP, and mean that yet again, the resident unionists on this thread have engaged in Whataboutery as they seek to muddy the waters of an argument and send us off course.

So, no rob, I tell you what, you go off and prove to me that it didn't happen and leave the adults here to discuss the matter at hand.

Lol-thats not how it works bonnie,you're making claims so it's up to you to provide credible links etc.

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Lol-thats not how it works bonnie,you're making claims so it's up to you to provide credible links etc.

Eamon Mallie is a respected journalist, with serious contacts on the Unionist side of the fence. Here is his scoop on the existence of the agreement.

https://eamonnmallie.com/2018/02/stormont-exclusive-draft-agreement-text-eamonn-mallie-brian-rowan/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

20-30 years
    My argument about something that actually happened? Will I go find more examples of this story in the media to satisfy your cynicism about the reality of it happening?

Nay, are you telling me that the thing I posted about did not happen at all?

You set a rather high burden of proof for a man thrown to sticking up any old thing that he has only read the headline of.

But then that would take us off the salient point in the matter at hand about the DUP, and mean that yet again, the resident unionists on this thread have engaged in Whataboutery as they seek to muddy the waters of an argument and send us off course.

So, no rob, I tell you what, you go off and prove to me that it didn't happen and leave the adults here to discuss the matter at hand.

I'm making no claims of any sort. I know a certain thing happened. I posted an article about it. I know it happened because I remember the incident in question and I read about it on numerous sites, papers and heard it on the news on several channels, both radio and TV.

You are the one with the issue with the source I posted. So off you go and disprove the veracity of the post itself. No one else has an issue.

I have already stated that I would not engage in an incessant bout of whataboutery about it [bolded, above]. As the point I made was pretty clear for the non-disingenuous actors on this thread.
    Tbf, you have very little standing given the level your contributions on this site so I feel absolutely no incentive to go and do a little bit of legwork for you that you are more than capable of achieving yourself, you would think.

Now, if someone was to criticise the content of what I posted, now that would be a different story. Otherwise, your demand for another source, is feeble, without merit and downright pointless.

20-30 years
    Eamon Mallie is a respected journalist, with serious contacts on the Unionist side of the fence. Here is his scoop on the existence of the agreement.

https://eamonnmallie.com/2018/02/stormont-exclusive-draft-agreement-text-eamonn-mallie-brian-rowan/

That's not how it works Francie. When you feed the crocodile we end up in these circular arguments because someone can't read or use google.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

20-30 years
    downcow wrote: »
    What is outrageous? Do you believe that Norway should be able to force Sweden to follow its method of dealing with Covid. You don't seem to ghet it that there is an international border. It was ROI that went off on the solo run without speaking to the other nation that ensures the landmass with

Between Norway and Sweden you don't have house where the sitting room is in Sweden and the kitchen in Norway! You don't have 40,000 crossings of the border every day. You don't have kids living in Norway, but going to school in Sweden.

The border between Norway and Sweden is a natural border with no towns or villages close to it. Its over 1,000 km long and it has about 20 crossing points.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

10-15 years

Nice to see you’ve learned something from your misadventures in the brexit thread. Fair play for learning though.

10-15 years
    I'm making no claims of any sort. I know a certain thing happened. I posted an article about it. I know it happened because I remember the incident in question and I read about it on numerous sites, papers and heard it on the news on several channels, both radio and TV.

You are the one with the issue with the source I posted. So off you go and disprove the veracity of the post itself. No one else has an issue.

I have already stated that I would not engage in an incessant bout of whataboutery about it [bolded, above]. As the point I made was pretty clear for the non-disingenuous actors on this thread.
    Tbf, you have very little standing given the level your contributions on this site so I feel absolutely no incentive to go and do a little bit of legwork for you that you are more than capable of achieving yourself, you would think.

Now, if someone was to criticise the content of what I posted, now that would be a different story. Otherwise, your demand for another source, is feeble, without merit and downright pointless.

It's not my fault you post links from unreliable sources or you like to give it but can't take it.

20-30 years
    It's not my fault you post links from unreliable sources or you like to give it but can't take it.

Yes Rob. That is exactly what's happening here. Now toddle on. The adults are speaking.

10-15 years
    Runaways wrote: »
    Nice to see you’ve learned something from your misadventures in the brexit thread. Fair play for learning though.

On the contrary, its amusing how I posted something from the very same source and was attacked whilst bonnie posts from the same source and I'm terrible for questioning it-you couldn't make it up! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

20-30 years
    Well, they were a great help to the British in making NI a mess.

From what I understand, a bigger problem for foreign direct investers is the marching season when unionists go dolally for about two months every year.

NI always looked to the UK and Commonwealth countries for investment where it has a lot of competition from similar regions in the UK - i.e., Belfast would be competing with Glasgow/Sunderland etc. for engineering and the British Gov. is trying to keep them all happy.

Added to that, the CEO (up to recently) of Invest NI was a former employee of the DUP and seemed to have absolutely no contacts in the US and unable to compete with the ROI anyway which is why he was probably hoping to sell bombardier buses to India! Put Enterprise Ireland in charge of investment and it is likely that those companies like Boston Scientific or Medtronics who already have a couple of plants in the ROI, would look to open up plants in the same jurisdiction with a ready labour supply.

By the way, Irish Americans in US Congress were having a go at Fianna Fail & Fine Gael for refusing to go into coalition with Sinn Fein, so I don't think US investors will be too worried about whether the (decommissioned) PIRA talks to Sinn Fein or not.

On the contrary, its amusing how I posted something from the very same source and was attacked whilst bonnie posts from the same source and I'm terrible for questioning it-you couldn't make it up! :)

The content is always the issue Rob. If the writer has a bias for instance, and many do on the Indo. It also has writers like Gene Kerrigan who would have a different bias.

Review the content. Point out biases if there are any, sometimes it is just factual reportage.

10-15 years
    The content is always the issue Rob. If the writer has a bias for instance, and many do on the Indo. It also has writers like Gene Kerrigan who would have a different bias.

Review the content. Point out biases if there are any, sometimes it is just factual reportage.

I see your point francie and that's fair enough but no one questioned the credibility of the writer in the link I provided-just the source itself.

I see your point francie and that's fair enough but no one questioned the credibility of the writer in the link I provided-just the source itself.

What were they writing about?

10-15 years
    What were they writing about?

Italy wanting help from the EU over the virus .Article in the Irish independent.

• Advertisement

Italy wanting help from the EU over the virus .Article in the Irish independent.

Well, the nuance there is that the Indo inexplicably has been taking a critical, contrarian approach to the EU for some time and our relationship with it sometimes with bizarre reasoning. Paper doesn't refuse ink etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement