Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

• Registered Users Posts: 69,243 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

He gets plenty of criticism on this thread for his somewhat rash reactions to those who torment him for principled decisions ...only fair to post about his charitable, decent humane actions.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/james-mcclean-buys-equipment-for-coronavirus-centre-at-hospital-in-his-native-derry-39100669.html

10-15 years
    He’s donated more than the royal family. Telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

How does NI work withing that graph?

Wouldn't the UK line would already include NI, unless the NI figures have been (extracted & posted separately) as he black line, in which case the UK line is out of kilter if it's missing a region. Same problem if you showed Scotland, Yorkshire or Wales separately.

10-15 years
    How does NI work withing that graph?

Wouldn't the UK line would already include NI, unless the NI figures have been (extracted & posted separately) as he black line, in which case the UK line is out of kilter if it's missing a region. Same problem if you showed Scotland, Yorkshire or Wales separately.

Want to know the crazy part? NI isn’t being counted among UK totals.

• Advertisement

10-15 years
    OK, in which case the UK line is somewhat skewed (if it's missing a region).

Well, with Arlene ‘accountable but not responsible’ Foster at the helm, she’s probably hoping the utterly pointless politicizing of it all up there will protect her from scrutiny after the fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,584 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ulster Says No. It will never happen
    It appears there is no majority in this thread for a United Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

10-15 years
    He gets plenty of criticism on this thread for his somewhat rash reactions to those who torment him for principled decisions ...only fair to post about his charitable, decent humane actions.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/james-mcclean-buys-equipment-for-coronavirus-centre-at-hospital-in-his-native-derry-39100669.html
    So long as it was not balaclavas and black gloves ( Tis a joke )

eagle eye wrote: »

Was there meant to be?

10-15 years
    Runaways wrote: »
    Medals don’t come cheap....er actually medals can be cheap alright !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Your hatred for everything british is extreme.
    You are the best pr any unionist party could have. You are are worst scenario personified.

A wee quiz question for you.
    Who is the nation (in the entire world) putting most funds towards world efforts to develop vaccine?

As for the queen she will speak to the nation today - and of course you couldn’t start to understand the value that this will have to our Covid fight. Money couldn’t buy it.

This is a site will be very interesting to watch develop.
    .....especially for those that have laughed at my prediction that no more people will die in 2020 than died in 2019 +-2%

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregisteredweeklyinenglandandwalesprovisional/weekending20march2020?fbclid=IwAR1pY3rO-cfcAQd1sb5qWVSotLH2X5IsCnIxo9fcofXeQIB3AZ-pYy5xLtQ

If we survive this we will revisit this post in 6 months and you can have a good laugh at me or I will open a bottle, depending on who is correct

downcow wrote: »
    You are the best pr any unionist party could have. You are are worst scenario personified.

Who is the nation (in the entire world) putting most funds towards world efforts to develop vaccine?

As for the queen she will speak to the nation today - and of course you couldn’t start to understand the value that this will have to our Covid fight. Money couldn’t buy it.

Maybe she will have some effect on the thousands still out and about ignoring the social distancing rules there.

The UK desperately needs leadership that puts people first at the moment, just like the US.
    Boris and Trump with the same problems and with graphs on the same trajectories.

Work it out for yourself downcow, before it is too late.

10-15 years

Is she going to say “ Up and At It Punks “ in the Plummy Accent !

And “ Nothing to be afraid of in Covert-19 “ Little People ! !;);)

10-15 years

For a man so fond of the queen you don’t half like warping her language :)
    I don’t hate anything british downcow.
    Like the man said, I have no problem with the english. Except their behavior.

Same goes for you lads. You’re being lead by a pack of clowns who are now dangerous clowns. Let’s see what happens.

blinding wrote: »
    Is she going to say “ Up and At It Punks “ in the Plummy Accent !

And “ Nothing to be afraid of in Covert-19 “ Little People ! !;);)

I didn’t think you would understand it. I guess it’s something only british people will get.

It’s a bit like, I don’t understand why your Irish dancing still adheres to rules brought in by priests that you can’t move anything other than your legs as it would be to sexual. The churches tried that with elvis but that was 50 years ago and people wouldn’t accept. I am baffled why Irish still adhere to it.
    Or how they have maintained set dancing which they learnt by peeping through the curtains at the British army officers and their wives in the big houses. Lol.
    And don’t start me on why this ‘ancient’ Irish language has copied so many of its words from the queens English. It’s some craic or was that originally crack lol

So in the same way as Irish culture baffles me, I completely understand why you wouldn’t get that we are interested in what the queen has to say

Let’s accept we are two very different peoples and let’s be fantastic neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

20-30 years
    I didn’t think you would understand it. I guess it’s something only british people will get.

It’s a bit like, I don’t understand why your Irish dancing still adheres to rules brought in by priests that you can’t move anything other than your legs as it would be to sexual. The churches tried that with elvis but that was 50 years ago and people wouldn’t accept. I am baffled why Irish still adhere to it.
    Or how they have maintained set dancing which they learnt by peeping through the curtains at the British army officers and their wives in the big houses. Lol.
    And don’t start me on why this ‘ancient’ Irish language has copied so many of its words from the queens English. It’s some craic or was that originally crack lol

So in the same way as Irish culture baffles me, I completely understand why you wouldn’t get that we are interested in what the queen has to say

Let’s accept we are two very different peoples and let’s be fantastic neighbours.

You're a bigot apart. Your tenacious and incessant pretence of difference is astounding.

Keep it up. You'll be left behind. Just like bigoted unionists always are. Hopefully the words of an elderly hereditary monarch bring you comfort.
    And yet you'll never ask 'why' you need that comfort. It's sad, but fascinating to watch.

---

Where was your condemnation of Cllr John Carson this week btw? Or do you agree with his assertion. I mean a picture of James McClean, that you never saw, got you all hot and bothered. What's good for the goose and all that...

Just in case downcow hasn't seen what is going on as a result of totally ineffective leadership...this is TODAY in the UK.

https://twitter.com/Julian5News/status/1246712647296462848

You're a bigot apart. Your tenacious and incessant pretence of difference is astounding.

Keep it up. You'll be left behind. Just like bigoted unionists always are. Hopefully the words of an elderly hereditary monarch bring you comfort.
    And yet you'll never ask 'why' you need that comfort. It's sad, but fascinating to watch.

---

Where was your condemnation of Cllr John Carson this week btw? Or do you agree with his assertion. I mean a picture of James McClean, that you never saw, got you all hot and bothered. What's good for the goose and all that...

Firstly, I responded to the incessant anti british bigotry from some posters on here. So keep your hair on.

If you are talking about the councillor who put covid down to people moving away from god or being gay or whatever. I pay zero attention to irrelevant nutters like him. As I have said many times I am fairly anti dup and only vote for them when it will prevent a shinner getting in. Ie lessor of two evils.
    If a member of my beloved ni football team had said that or even posed with a balaclava on with kids I would be the first to say he should never play for us again.

By the way. Do you know what the councillor actually said. As people I have challenged on it claim he said something very different which the Nolan reporter twisted. But I say again he is an irrelevance and if he even implied what is claimed and decent party would chuck him out.

Is that clear enough for you.

10-15 years

You are coming home to a United Ireland soon. Ya can still listen to Queenie in her Plummy Accent telling you how, your Betters will get you to behave. Sure you can still bow and scrape if ya still get something out of it.

Ireland will be United whether you like it or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

20-30 years
    https://twitter.com/ChickenCaoimh/status/1146720412610584579

Some stuff from a twitter poster, highlighting the failed political entity that is the six.Happy 100 years.

In 1921, the six counties had around 70% of the industry on the island, 26Cs largely agrarian. Now 90% of island's industry is in Republic.
    GDP % of Republic ,even when adjusted down due to republic's unique position, is more than double that of NI.
    Six counties average wage 55% of that of republic

There is now a larger gap between the GDP % of republic and the six counties than there was between West and East Germany at time of its reunification. Even in knowledge that GDP isn't always a great measure of average wealth, that's shocking.

In 1921, Ireland was seen as the backwater of the British Empire. In 2019, the average person in the 26 counties is wealthier, healthier and has a better standard of living than the average UKer.

Even when compared to rest of UK, the six does poorly. Despite being the economic centre, Belfast in not even in the top 50 most important economic areas of UK. It's 52nd, behind Northumberland, which is a most mountainous region of England's north. Northumberland FFS.

The six counties is an utter and abject failure for all its citizens, an economic basket case wrapped in a sectarian blanket overseen by the useless UK government who dont give a ****tteee about the six. Wakey wakey and happy 100, you will not make 120.

10-15 years
    Nobody here’s anti british DC. I can like a people and loathe their leaders. I’ve mates from Israel but I detest their government and the genocide theyre carrying out in slo mo. Same with Brits. They’re grand. Their effin establishment trough. Jesus they’re contemptible. Nothing but love for my brothers and sisters up north from every community. But holy Fvck is the leadership rotten all over.

That’s all really. Don’t take anything so personally. You’ll all hopefully snap out of it when this crisis eventually passes.

You are coming home to a United Ireland soon. Ya can still listen to Queenie in her Plummy Accent telling you how, your Betters will get you to behave. Sure you can still bow and scrape if ya still get something out of it.

Ireland will be United whether you like it or not.

We’ll go back as many millennium as you wish and you will find there has never been a united ireland (except when forced by the brits). So I wouldn’t hold my breath if I was you. The shinners seem to have even accepted partition now.
    I was pleased for you when the covid restrictions allowed groups of under 100 to meet as you could still have held and agm for all the people on the island who think similarly to you.

https://twitter.com/ChickenCaoimh/status/1146720412610584579

Some stuff from a twitter poster, highlighting the failed political entity that is the six.Happy 100 years.

In 1921, the six counties had around 70% of the industry on the island, 26Cs largely agrarian. Now 90% of island's industry is in Republic.
    GDP % of Republic ,even when adjusted down due to republic's unique position, is more than double that of NI.
    Six counties average wage 55% of that of republic

There is now a larger gap between the GDP % of republic and the six counties than there was between West and East Germany at time of its reunification. Even in knowledge that GDP isn't always a great measure of average wealth, that's shocking.

In 1921, Ireland was seen as the backwater of the British Empire. In 2019, the average person in the 26 counties is wealthier, healthier and has a better standard of living than the average UKer.

Even when compared to rest of UK, the six does poorly. Despite being the economic centre, Belfast in not even in the top 50 most important economic areas of UK. It's 52nd, behind Northumberland, which is a most mountainous region of England's north. Northumberland FFS.

The six counties is an utter and abject failure for all its citizens, an economic basket case wrapped in a sectarian blanket overseen by the useless UK government who dont give a ****tteee about the six. Wakey wakey and happy 100 you will not make 120.

Well then you need to do a better pr job because poll after poll tells us that about 25% of the people in the north want to join your great nation lol

Nobody here’s anti british DC. I can like a people and loathe their leaders. I’ve mates from Israel but I detest their government and the genocide theyre carrying out in slo mo. Same with Brits. They’re grand. Their effin establishment trough. Jesus they’re contemptible. Nothing but love for my brothers and sisters up north from every community. But holy Fvck is the leadership rotten all over.

That’s all really. Don’t take anything so personally. You’ll all hopefully snap out of it when this crisis eventually passes.

Is this the hundred year crisis, that your fellow poster just mentioned, that you are waiting to pass?
    If you are correct then you’ll get your UI, but polls don’t look like you are anyway close. So no need for northers to even start considering their separatist movement for when you get your hypothetical all ireland. When it looks like there is any chance of it within the next generation then we’ll start the separatist movement.

Is this the hundred year crisis, that your fellow poster just mentioned, that you are waiting to pass?
    If you are correct then you’ll get your UI, but polls don’t look like you are anyway close. So no need for northers to even start considering their separatist movement for when you get your hypothetical all ireland. When it looks like there is any chance of it within the next generation then we’ll start the separatist movement.

A separatist movement would have very little traction in a UI, Unionism is losing it's majority as it is in NI...never mind an all island vote.

eagle eye wrote: »

I could never see a green white & orange 32 county Amhrán na bhFiann Republic, but I can foresee some kind of federal devolved all Island arrangement, with Dublin & Belfast administrations, maybe in twenty years time?

10-15 years
    We’ll go back as many millennium as you wish and you will find there has never been a united ireland (except when forced by the brits). So I wouldn’t hold my breath if I was you. The shinners seem to have even accepted partition now.
    I was pleased for you when the covid restrictions allowed groups of under 100 to meet as you could still have held and agm for all the people on the island who think similarly to you.
    You are losing and you know you are losing The demographics are against you, biggy style. Many of your best go to the Big Island to go to University and stay there for the rest of their lives. Ye certainly cannot afford to lose these people but ye are.

Its all over bar the shouting. You will be in a United Ireland whether you like it or not. Unless you are going to take off like Arlene of course.

• Advertisement

You are losing and you know you are losing The demographics are against you, biggy style. Many of your best go to the Big Island to go to University and stay there for the rest of their lives. Ye certainly cannot afford to lose these people but ye are.

Its all over bar the shouting. You will be in a United Ireland whether you like it or not. Unless you are going to take off like Arlene of course.

Yes but this kind of (rubbing their noses in it) is never going to lead to any kind of peaceful stable "United Ireland", hence my post #6869, which is much more sure footed & realistic.

I'd you want a United Ireland then you don't keep attacking the very people you wish to unite with.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement