Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

20-30 years
    downcow wrote: »
    Well then if you were not one of the people on here who were going on about UK being way behind ROI on testing, then the question was not for you. hence your struggle to answer

Can you throw up the posts where people were saying that Ireland was ahead of the UK on testing?

Would be helpful to answer if we knew the exact posts to which you are referring.

15-20 years
    Thanks Blaaz. I couldn't argue with a single word of what you are saying. No country is squeaky clean and perfect on this. TBH I was a slow learner myself and if someone had told me two months ago where we would be know, I would have laughed at them

Its been an impressive use of propaganda and complient media here (v.similar level in uk)...

Literally not one.article has been written critical of how testing has devolved to such a shambles,we had to outsource to germany,inspite of cervical check.scandel.arising out of outsourcing and no oversight

The government has done well,but its starting to fall apart at seems and our gaurds need stronger powers,which can only be brought in via new dail/seanad...this will require a national.government (involving shinners)

This is being blocked by someone,going doing a day a week shift as a doctor,despite not having worked as a doctor for over a decade,i wouldnt let him treat kittens until hes up to scrath tbh

We are facing into a week,where by end we will have 50 to.80 a day dying,and thinking we are in any position to sneer at anyone is a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Was up north this afternoon (essential journey) and sadly they have a way to go to match what is happening here.

I haven’t encountered anyone like this up north yet. Although I am sure they exist everywhere
    https://vm.tiktok.com/tTXNEh/

• Registered Users Posts: 69,236 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I haven’t encountered anyone like this up north yet. Although I am sure they exist everywhere
    https://vm.tiktok.com/tTXNEh/

Didn't even look at it. Happy to give you your juvenile win.

You are a bit of a mess downcow...no harm to you tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

10-15 years
    Its been an impressive use of propaganda and complient media here (v.similar level in uk)...

Literally not one.article has been written critical of how testing has devolved to such a shambles,we had to outsource to germany,inspite of cervical check.scandel.arising out of outsourcing and no oversight

The government has done well,but its starting to fall apart at seems and our gaurds need stronger powers,which can only be brought in via new dail/seanad...this will require a national.government (involving shinners)

This is being blocked by someone,going doing a day a week shift as a doctor,despite not having worked as a doctor for over a decade,i wouldnt let him treat kittens until hes up to scrath tbh

We are facing into a week,where by end we will have 50 to.80 a day dying,and thinking we are in any position to sneer at anyone is a joke

All countries are doing what they think is best,constant sniping by certain posters about how one country is handling things better does`nt really help the situation.I think your honesty is refreshing and an example to us all.

• Advertisement

Over 700 people died in the UK and the news is totally devoted to Boris...terribly disrespectful if nothing else.
    I know he is important but perspective is a good thing in a time of crisis. Especially as there seem to be still significant flauntings of lockdown rules.

Didn't even look at it. Happy to give you your juvenile win.

You are a bit of a mess downcow...no harm to you tbh.

Francie if you had watched it you maybe not have jumped to conclusions. I was bringing a bit of light humour to the situation.

RobMc59 wrote: »
    All countries are doing what they think is best,constant sniping by certain posters about how one country is handling things better does`nt really help the situation.I think your honesty is refreshing and an example to us all.

Yeah. You are right. Blaaz’s ability to take the blinkers off and look at his own government is a good challenge to me. I allowed myself to be drawn in to defending my country due to the unrelentless criticism by a few on here, and of course best method of defence is attack.

I suppose I don’t see a great deal of difference across Europe. Yes slightly different approaches and different levels of resources available, but no one is purposely trying to fail and expose their citizens.

Whether through luck, strategy or available resources, I should be thankful that owc seems to be the area with least deaths on these islands (currently) - that could all change. And it’s all getting personal as the first person I know died yesterday and another very ill - I guess we are all probably their now. And Boris's deterioration did spook me - I guess we all sort of know him and he seems relatively fit and healthy 50 odd.

I was listening to an ‘expert’ yesterday who was adamant that kids need to return to school. He was claiming school closures are not lowering spread but are causing great strains on families, workers, and most of all vulnerable kids.
    Maybe when this is all over we will discover that UK were wrong to lose their nerve and go with others on this. Who knows. It would have taken incredible courage to have held the line and all the risks associated with being out of step if it went pear shaped

10-15 years
    Over 700 people died in the UK and the news is totally devoted to Boris...terribly disrespectful if nothing else.
    I know he is important but perspective is a good thing in a time of crisis. Especially as there seem to be still significant flauntings of lockdown rules.[/quote
    I don't like Johnson's brexit antics but he has the nation behind him over the virus.When the dust settles,if its found that bad mistakes were made then that can be dealt with then.
    He's a fighter too,the footage of him clapping outside number 10 for the NHS even though he has the virus shows he's no quitter.

My mates 50 year old brother died last night (not covid) and it has brought into stark focus they tragedy of grieving in this current situation.
    He phoned me last night an hour after he got news and he is sitting at home with his wife and a very close extended family cannot meet up.
    The Irish wake is an incredibly supportive thing and it simply can’t take place. And it seems not even all of the immediate family can attend the funeral. An horrendous situation.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

10-15 years
    My mates 50 year old brother died last night (not covid) and it has brought into stark focus they tragedy of grieving in this current situation.
    He phoned me last night an hour after he got news and he is sitting at home with his wife and a very close extended family cannot meet up.
    The Irish wake is an incredibly supportive thing and it simply can’t take place. And it seems not even all of the immediate family can attend the funeral. An horrendous situation.
    That must be very hard for family. My Condolences.

Yeah. You are right. Blaaz’s ability to take the blinkers off and look at his own government is a good challenge to me. I allowed myself to be drawn in to defending my country due to the unrelentless criticism by a few on here, and of course best method of defence is attack.

I suppose I don’t see a great deal of difference across Europe. Yes slightly different approaches and different levels of resources available, but no one is purposely trying to fail and expose their citizens.

Whether through luck, strategy or available resources, I should be thankful that owc seems to be the area with least deaths on these islands (currently) - that could all change. And it’s all getting personal as the first person I know died yesterday and another very ill - I guess we are all probably their now. And Boris's deterioration did spook me - I guess we all sort of know him and he seems relatively fit and healthy 50 odd.

I was listening to an ‘expert’ yesterday who was adamant that kids need to return to school. He was claiming school closures are not lowering spread but are causing great strains on families, workers, and most of all vulnerable kids.
    Maybe when this is all over we will discover that UK were wrong to lose their nerve and go with others on this. Who knows. It would have taken incredible courage to have held the line and all the risks associated with being out of step if it went pear shaped

Condolences on your loss.

Can you stop trying to paper over the fact that the criticism of the UK's approach on this thread came when Boris was spouting his eugenic herd immunity strategy. The 'strategy' that had to be veered away from.
    Also you are way behind on community testing according to one of our experts, Dr Sam McConkey.

10-15 years
    Condolences on your loss.

Can you stop trying to paper over the fact that the criticism of the UK's approach on this thread came when Boris was spouting his eugenic herd immunity strategy. The 'strategy' that had to be veered away from.
    Also you are way behind on community testing according to one of our experts, Dr Sam McConkey.

If Johnson comes through this,his stock will be sky high-I dislike his political views but he is probably the man to keep the Union together,a strong leader in the British tradition which is bad news for those hoping for a UI.

If Johnson comes through this,his stock will be sky high-I dislike his political views but he is probably the man to keep the Union together,a strong leader in the British tradition which is bad news for those hoping for a UI.

Funny, my opinion of Boris is that he is the PM that cares least about the Union and Ireland of the last century.

He **** from a great height on Unionists when he had no more use for them. Forcing them back into the executive and establishing a border in the Irish Sea. And he will still be presiding over a deeply divided Union when he gets out.

Facts over fantasy.

10-15 years
    Funny, my opinion of Boris is that he is the PM that cares least about the Union and Ireland of the last century.

He **** from a great height on Unionists when he had no more use for them. Forcing them back into the executive and establishing a border in the Irish Sea. And he will still be presiding over a deeply divided Union when he gets out.

Facts over fantasy.

Not sure about that,Nicola Sturgeon is looking shaky in a crisis,Arlene Foster is holding her own whilst Mary Lou and Michelle O'Neil aren't pulling up any trees.

Not sure about that,Nicola Sturgeon is looking shaky in a crisis,Arlene Foster is holding her own whilst Mary Lou and Michelle O'Neil aren't pulling up any trees.

Nice deflection there Rob.

15-20 years

You may have missed him throwing unionists completly under the bus over brexit

Your loyalty to him in spite of this,is completly partisan and lacking any reason,he will use this blind loyalty againest yous in the end

(infact any prodestants i know,have a particular dislike for him)

You may have missed him throwing unionists completly under the bus over brexit

Your loyalty to him in spite of this,is completly partisan and lacking any reason,he will use this blind loyalty againest yous in the end

(infact any prodestants i know,have a particular dislike for him)

Well now Blaaz. I thought we knew eachother lol and i do not have 'a particular dislike for him'.
    I actually agree with rob. I think he may be the right person at the right time. He does communicate optimism.

15-20 years
    Well now Blaaz. I thought we knew eachother lol and i do not have 'a particular dislike for him'.
    I actually agree with rob. I think he may be the right person at the right time. He does communicate optimism.

Tbf one my pasttimes leads me to know alot of prodestants....yous,nor me are entitled to speak on their behalf

Tbh,i find your blind loyalty in face of contracdicting evidence,(not differing view),disconsorting....

He literally threw unionists under the bus at a time,when unionism was at its strongest politically in generations by holding balance of power in the uk......

what entices you to believe he will strengthen/work to maintain the union....when politically he is strongest majority there in at least a generation

Tbf one my pasttimes leads me to know alot of prodestants....yous,nor me are entitled to speak on their behalf

Tbh,i find your blind loyalty in face of contracdicting evidence,(not differing view),disconsorting....

He literally threw unionists under the bus at a time,when unionism was at its strongest politically in generations by holding balance of power in the uk......

what entices you to believe he will strengthen/work to maintain the union....when politically he is strongest majority there in at least a generation

If you want me to be completely honest with you. I can understand what he done.
    I was extremely uncomfortable when the DUP abused their position and held the UK to ransom for money for NI. I am part of the UK and believe we should work together and not hold eachother to ransom. So had I been Boris I might well have shafted the DUP as well.
    The union though is safe. It does not rely on Boris, the DUP, the few United Irelanders, etc. It is very clear that NI remains part of UK until a majority of NI feel we should leave. I am very relaxed that that will not happen in my or my kids lifetime.

So yes you could argue that he threw the DUP under the bus - but I wasn't surprised. I did say loud and clear to fellow Unionists when the DUP were demanding 1 billion, that that was not a very unionist action.

TBH the patience of the mainlanders has surprised me. I thought they may well shout louder for our heads when the voting majorities changed. They are very generous to us

• Advertisement

Without making comparisons or being morbidly competitive, this is a chilling read for anyone, including members of my own family, in the UK

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-britain-path-speci-idUSKBN21P1VF

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Without making comparisons or being morbidly competitive, this is a chilling read for anyone, including members of my own family, in the UK

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-britain-path-speci-idUSKBN21P1VF
    Francie, does Nurse know that you have skipped your jiving class again?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭droidman123

Edgware wrote: »
    Francie, does Nurse know that you have skipped your jiving class again?

Says the guy who bizarrely knows what brand of cigerettes sinn fein supporters smoke

Says the guy who bizarrely knows what brand of cigerettes sinn fein supporters smoke
    I was gonna ask the poster what they were on about, but then I seen who it was.

10-15 years
    If you want me to be completely honest with you. I can understand what he done.
    I was extremely uncomfortable when the DUP abused their position and held the UK to ransom for money for NI. I am part of the UK and believe we should work together and not hold eachother to ransom. So had I been Boris I might well have shafted the DUP as well.
    The union though is safe. It does not rely on Boris, the DUP, the few United Irelanders, etc. It is very clear that NI remains part of UK until a majority of NI feel we should leave. I am very relaxed that that will not happen in my or my kids lifetime.

So yes you could argue that he threw the DUP under the bus - but I wasn't surprised. I did say loud and clear to fellow Unionists when the DUP were demanding 1 billion, that that was not a very unionist action.

TBH the patience of the mainlanders has surprised me. I thought they may well shout louder for our heads when the voting majorities changed. They are very generous to us
    Some day, when Big Island Brits work out how much they are paying for Northern Ireland ; Well then = Tis all over for you Irish Unionists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

The packet is usually sticking out of their arse pocket as they waddle along out of step with the others in the colour party and pretend that they can understand the commands in Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

blinding wrote: »
    Some day, when Big Island Brits work out how much they are paying for Northern Ireland ; Well then = Tis all over for you Irish Unionists.

And when the South finds out how much it will cost them....

10-15 years
    jh79 wrote: »
    And when the South finds out how much it will cost them....
    We don’t have the way out that Big Island Brits do. Ireland is Ireland.

All the Big Island Brits have to do is apologise for wrongly dividing Ireland and away they go. Sure it was an awful mistake and obvious to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

blinding wrote: »
    We don’t have the way out that Big Island Brits do. Ireland is Ireland.

All the Big Island Brits have to do is apologise for wrongly dividing Ireland and away they go. Sure it was an awful mistake and obvious to everyone.

We have to agree to take NI in a referendum. The South has a choice.

If a country of 60 million finds NI to be a financial millstone around the neck what would it be for a country 1/20 of its size?

• Advertisement

10-15 years
    jh79 wrote: »
    We have to agree to take NI in a referendum. The South has a choice.

If a country of 60 million finds NI to be a financial millstone around the neck what would it be for a country 1/20 of its size?
    It’ll be a Catholic Punishment thing ! We will convince ourselves we deserve it !

Ireland is Ireland.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement